Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 11-20-2014, 05:42 PM

Elune

Default The Telltale Thread

A thread for all things relating to Telltale Games.

Quote:
Telltale Games presents itself specifically as a developer of episodic games. Many critics feel that Telltale is the only company to have done episodic gaming right, usually citing its ability to consistently deliver on a monthly schedule. Telltale is also seen by movie studios and other content producers to take a more realistic approach to movie tie-in games; rather than the difficult model of "see the movie; play the game", Telltale is noted for working with studios and screenwriters to create a strong experience that pays homage to the original film or franchise.
The Walking Dead - Season 1

Set in the same universe as the comic series, at the onset of the zombie apocalypse, Lee Everett rescues young Clementine, and joins with other survivors in Macon, Georgia to protect themselves from the undead.

The Walking Dead - Season 2

More than a year after the events of Season 1, Clementine and Christa get separated after they are ambushed by bandits in the woods. While attempting to survive on her own, Clementine comes across a new group of survivors hiding out in an old cabin.

The Wolf Among Us

Based on Bill Willingham's Fables comic book series, in a world where fairy tales have escaped into our world and established a secret sanctuary in New York City. The player-protagonist of The Wolf Among Us is Bigby Wolf, formerly the Big Bad Wolf. The first murder of a Fable in several years leads Bigby on the trail of a killer.

Tales from the Borderlands

The game's story takes place after the end of Borderlands 2. The player will control two different protagonists, the con-artist Fiona and data-miner Rhys, who eventually meet up in the latter part of the game as they realize the effects of life on the planet Pandora after the defeat of Handsome Jack.

Game of Thrones

Canon to HBO's television series rather than the books, this new story tells of House Forrester, a noble family from the north of Westeros, loyal to the Starks of Winterfell. Caught up in the events surrounding the War of the Five Kings, they are thrown into a maelstrom of bloody warfare, revenge, intrigue, and horror as they fight to survive while the seven kingdoms tear themselves apart.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:11 PM

Elune

So I'm very, very, pleasantly surprised with the first episode of Tales from the Borderlands. It's a meaty length at a solid two hours. There's plenty of dialogue but the action scenes are paced in between it enough that neither really drag. The characters are unique, interesting and the humour is amusing without being overbearing. You don't feel like you're constantly being dragged through a comedy, nor does it rely on le ebin meymeys like its 'main series' does.

From somebody who had zero expectations I thoroughly recommend it.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:15 PM

Warden

It's out? Awesome!
Old 11-25-2014, 09:42 PM

Sha of Disappointment

Waitwaitwaitwaitwait - this Borderlands-thingy ISN'T an Ego Shooter? 'cause i don't give a shit about the Borderlands ego shooters but i'm a Telltale Adventure game whore. Is this something i, as a non-fan who knows absolutely nothing about the story, can get behind storywise? 'cause if so i need to play this. Do i need to play this?

Edit: another thing. Am i understanding it correctly that the Game of Edge game is going to be set in the show's continuity? Or did they just use the actor designs and the seasons-as-time-marker for the broader audience? (in essence: do we know in which canon, if any, this is set?)

Last edited by Commander Rotal; 11-25-2014 at 09:54 PM..
Old 11-25-2014, 09:55 PM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotal View Post
Waitwaitwaitwaitwait - this Borderlands-thingy ISN'T an Ego Shooter? 'cause i don't give a shit about the Borderlands ego shooters but i'm a Telltale Adventure game whore. Is this something i, as a non-fan who knows absolutely nothing about the story, can get behind storywise? 'cause if so i need to play this. Do i need to play this?
Borderlands 2 had a surprisingly intricate plot for a shooter, involving large amounts of character development and epic storytelling. It's in the running for my all time favorite video game story alongside Final Fantasy VII and Planescape: Torment.

Tales of the Borderlands is a comedy adventure game involving very little shooting and based around a treasure hunt.

Edit:

The Game of Thrones game is set in the show's continuity like the Walking Dead games are set in the comics.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:02 PM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Phipps View Post
Borderlands 2 had a surprisingly intricate plot for a shooter, involving large amounts of character development and epic storytelling. It's in the running for my all time favorite video game story alongside Final Fantasy VII and Planescape: Torment.

Tales of the Borderlands is a comedy adventure game involving very little shooting and based around a treasure hunt.

Edit:

The Game of Thrones game is set in the show's continuity like the Walking Dead games are set in the comics.
thanks!
Old 11-25-2014, 11:41 PM

Eternal

Isn't borderlands 2 written by a complete nutjob?

The only telltale games i like are sam and max and back 2 the future. Rest are lame.
Old 11-26-2014, 03:44 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotal View Post
I hated Borderlands. Its FPS mechanics were boring, the art style made me want to gouge my eyes out and its humour was extremely meh. I still - hesitantly - picked it up because it was Telltale. Needless to say I loved it which probably in part came from my total lack of hype, but yes from somebody who only had the bare details about the plot I got behind it easily enough. It focuses more on the characters than the 'world' anyway. It might help to know who Handsome Jack is but other than that? Nah.

Quote:
Edit: another thing. Am i understanding it correctly that the Game of Edge game is going to be set in the show's continuity? Or did they just use the actor designs and the seasons-as-time-marker for the broader audience? (in essence: do we know in which canon, if any, this is set?)
It's show canon, not the books, yeah. If I remember right the Forresters are one of the Houses who aid Stannis but there's not much information there otherwise.

Last edited by Drusus; 11-26-2014 at 03:46 AM..
Old 11-26-2014, 07:50 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Phipps View Post

Yeah, Borderlands 2 was really, really great. I think the story of the Pre-Sequel is even better, though it's more of a mega-DLC than a full game.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:04 PM

Warden

Oh good lord, that was an awesome first episode to Tales from the Borderlands.

There were a couple of glitches but it's the best Space Western since Firefly.

http://unitedfederationofcharles.blo...ld-loader.html

So much hilarity.

And Fiona is AWESOME! Not just because she's got Jaina Proudmoore and Chun Li's voice either!
Old 11-27-2014, 08:01 PM

Sha of Disappointment

I just realized 'tis the month i spend a thousand bucks on a new pc since my old one is (as far as functionality is concerned) literally held together by a borrowed graphics card with heat issues D: i think i'ma gonna consult a let's play for this month. It's a shame, i was actually looking forward to Game of Edge.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:29 PM

Elune

THAT [Game of Thrones] ENDING!

JESUSFUCKSHITBASTARDARSESHITBASTARDWHATTHEFUCK.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:41 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
THAT [Game of Thrones] ENDING!

JESUSFUCKSHITBASTARDARSESHITBASTARDWHATTHEFUCK.
How many dead?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:46 PM

Banished

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerbrew View Post
My body is ready.

Also:

Quote:
"We can handle Ramsay Snow, he doesn't scare me."
Top kek.

He fucking should. He might only be a shadow of Roose Bolton but he's still a terrifying psychopath.
Posting this in correct thread.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:47 PM

Warden

Damn you, Xbox Live, why isn't GOT UP YET!

At least in my area!

Ugh!
Old 12-02-2014, 04:54 PM

Eternal

So what i got from that video they should call it Game of family drama.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:00 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

It should come as no surprise that The Wolf Among Us is easily my most favorite of the Telltale games. A setting with a werewolf protagonist that's actually well written and not just schlocky nonsense.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:34 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
It should come as no surprise that The Wolf Among Us is easily my most favorite of the Telltale games. A setting with a werewolf protagonist that's actually well written and not just schlocky nonsense.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:49 PM

Elune

Swords can't be drawn from the back effectively. Much less claymores. Minor quip, but it still annoyed me.

Why does Lord Forrester say they'll be marching on Casterly Rock from the Twins? When Robb made camp at the Twins, it was because he was going to retake the North from the ironmen.

How does Ramsay Snow get his men inside Ironrath when I closed the gate after only letting him and Lord Whitehills inside?

Why are the animations, rigging, and poses still fucked up? It's 2014 and the game animates like a goddamn Dragon Age game.

I dislike that the Forresters are just Stark-lite. It's a really unoriginal move by Telltale. Everything about them is a blatant Stark rip-off.

The honorable father, beloved of his people, just and fair, killed dishonorably. The eldest son, just like his father, stern and just. Also killed dishonorably. The bookish third son. The Southron mother. The daughter trapped in a Southron court. The confused little son.

The only two of them that seem like original creations are Asher and Talia. Even then, Asher is the exiled son who didn't fit in. Talia is the girl who was trained at arms.

The ending was an interesting twist that I honestly didn't expect, so I suppose I owe them that much, at least.

EDIT:

And after playing Episode 1 twice now, I see that your choices in Telltale games STILL do not matter. There's a predetermined course. Your choices are just flavor and don't actually change anything. The games aren't tailored to how you play. The same comments are made by characters regardless of what you say or what choice you make. The sad thing is, I knew this would happen.

Last edited by Frostwolf; 12-02-2014 at 11:52 PM..
Old 12-03-2014, 02:48 AM

Warden

I'm getting a little sick of that to be honest.

It's lazy storytelling.

The games are, comparatively, ridiculously cheap to make compared to Triple A ones so why NOT make some relevant choices?
Old 12-03-2014, 12:39 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
Why does Lord Forrester say they'll be marching on Casterly Rock from the Twins? When Robb made camp at the Twins, it was because he was going to retake the North from the ironmen.
In the show (to which the game takes its canon from) Robb - for some reason - intends to blitzkrieg Casterly Rock once he gets the Frey troops.

Bravo DnD.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:35 PM

Elune

Quote:
In the show (to which the game takes its canon from) Robb - for some reason - intends to blitzkrieg Casterly Rock once he gets the Frey troops.

Bravo DnD.
Top fucking kek.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:54 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:
I loved that scene.

More werewolf characters should aspire to be like Bigby.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:43 PM

Warden

Game of Thrones

Well, I'm only through Chapter One but I have a bunch of observations on the game.

* Starting it at a certain wedding in Season 3 is a very surprising choice. It appears, of course, to fans of the show but is kind of a spoiler to people who aren't GOT fans.

* This game is bugged to all hell. I had to replay the introduction three different times. The first time was because I wanted to redo a choice I was mistaken about only to restart at the very beginning and the second because the game just up and froze. It's glitchy in other ways too.

* It's interesting to see the squire starting as a pig farmer because that's a kind of upward mobility you don't see very often in Westeros. The fact his Castellan uncle was someone who was also one is good, too.
Poor guy gets it from both sides.

* The Frey's need to kill whoever put them in those hats.

* I like the Foresters overall, even if I don't start out as one of them.

* I do think the game does a good job of making it feel like Westeros, though. When you face three men during the game, it's a very "oh crap" sort of moment.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:58 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Eregos#2913

Loving GoT and Tales of Borderlands so far cannot wait to get episode 2 of each .

Run

Tags
point and click, story, storytelling, telltale games, ugly graphics