Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 01-10-2017, 07:57 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Default Play My Video Game!

As a few of you know, I've been teaching myself web design and programming. Now, I'm proud to present part of an online CYOA text game that I built from scratch (with some help from Redditor Alex8Lot).

Destroy the Temple of Evil!

You can skip ahead to the main part of the game here.

It's a very simple two-room dungeon (three, if you count the intro screen). The foyer gives you the choice to drink from several potions. The game's not done yet. Currently, only the small potion leads to the next room (in fact, there are two slightly different versions based on the choices you make after taking the small potion).

I'm still cobbling together a rudimentary combat system for entering the inner sanctum at normal size. Regarding the growth potion, I'm looking for a gimmick, so let me know if you have any ideas and I'll see if I can put them into action.

Someone told me that they can't seem to load this on Firefox with Windows 10. Let me know if you're having trouble along these lines.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"

Last edited by HlaaluStyle; 01-10-2017 at 10:42 PM..
Old 01-10-2017, 08:08 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Wink

Loving the graphics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:12 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Loving the graphics.
I know, right? As the fellow said, simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 01-10-2017, 08:24 PM

Priestess of the Moon

7/10 ign.
"Be it so. This burning of widows is your custom; prepare the funeral pile. But my nation has also a custom. When men burn women alive we hang them, and confiscate all their property. My carpenters shall therefore erect gibbets on which to hang all concerned when the widow is consumed. Let us all act according to national customs."
Charles James Napier
Old 01-10-2017, 08:26 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

It seems impossible to open the door after drinking the small potion, then the big potion, then approaching the door.

Also, drinking the big potion, then the small potion seems to generate a second panel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:34 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
It seems impossible to open the door after drinking the small potion, then the big potion, then approaching the door.

Also, drinking the big potion, then the small potion seems to generate a second panel.
Drinking the big potion after the small potion just reverts you to normal size. There's currently no option for entering the next room at that size.

Thanks for letting me know about the second panel. I'll look into fixing that.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:48 PM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Cute.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:14 PM

Sha of Disappointment

I realize there wouldn't be much of a game otherwise but i'd like to see a "Don't drink any of them" and/or an "Investigate Initial Room" options for the very first choice.
I also encountered a bug(?) where the site would continue to show the "You sensibly decide that blabla"-window under the regular one when i decided to "Go back to the beginning". When i went with the Large Potion the second time around and then went directly to the door the You sensibly decide"-bit suddenly went up above the regular one.
After that, when i click "Kick in the door", nothing happens. "Open the door like a normal giant" works. In the following screen, thanks to the aforementioned bug with the first playthrough's window remaining, i had 2 "Go back to the beginning"-buttons; only the one from the 1st playthrough worked.
In my third playthrough the site started to display windows from all 3 playthroughs; i imagine it's going to continue to include one from each new session. Finally arriving at "Open the door" in playthrough 3 (regular size)... the button doesn't work.
For playthrough #4 i reloaded the page; sure enough this reset' the entire thing back to the initial room with only one window displayed. However, upon drinking first the big then the small bottle, the game started giving me a second window again; arriving it "It's a door, alright" the "Open the door"-button doesn't work. It seems i'm permanently stuck because of this and can't test it beyond that part.
I recommend removing the part(s) about the browser size for immersion purposes.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:16 PM

Elune

It's not the least satisfying text-only video game I've played in the last 13 hours, so you definitely show some promise.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:41 PM

Elune

I think I fixed the issue with double windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Rotal View Post
I realize there wouldn't be much of a game otherwise but i'd like to see a "Don't drink any of them" and/or an "Investigate Initial Room" options for the very first choice.
I also encountered a bug(?) where the site would continue to show the "You sensibly decide that blabla"-window under the regular one when i decided to "Go back to the beginning". When i went with the Large Potion the second time around and then went directly to the door the You sensibly decide"-bit suddenly went up above the regular one.
After that, when i click "Kick in the door", nothing happens. "Open the door like a normal giant" works. In the following screen, thanks to the aforementioned bug with the first playthrough's window remaining, i had 2 "Go back to the beginning"-buttons; only the one from the 1st playthrough worked.
In my third playthrough the site started to display windows from all 3 playthroughs; i imagine it's going to continue to include one from each new session. Finally arriving at "Open the door" in playthrough 3 (regular size)... the button doesn't work.
For playthrough #4 i reloaded the page; sure enough this reset' the entire thing back to the initial room with only one window displayed. However, upon drinking first the big then the small bottle, the game started giving me a second window again; arriving it "It's a door, alright" the "Open the door"-button doesn't work. It seems i'm permanently stuck because of this and can't test it beyond that part.
I recommend removing the part(s) about the browser size for immersion purposes.
Thanks for the in-depth review. As I said in the original post, only the options for the small potion lead to the next room. Going normal size (by abstaining from the potion, or by going back to normal size by taking both) does not lead to the main room.

Immersion isn't a goal for this game. It's very much about breaking the fourth wall.

Here's a direct link to the completed part, which has the lion's share of the entertainment.

Old 01-11-2017, 03:32 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

>get ye flask
Old 01-12-2017, 12:34 PM

Elune

I'll be sure to give it a shot when I have the time
Old 01-12-2017, 12:40 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

I kept trying to use nasty knife but I couldn't seem to enter the commands.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:48 PM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
I'll be sure to give it a shot when I have the time
If you have time to make a post on SoL, you have time to play the game.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:01 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
If you have time to make a post on SoL, you have time to play the game.
Yeah, it's pretty short, particularly if you skip straight ahead with the second link.

Tags
creative, storytelling