Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Halls of Lordaeron

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #28776  
Old 02-15-2018, 02:20 AM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,118

Default

So, has anyone else has concerns about Poland and its historic revisionism regarding the holocaust and the role it played in it?

The increasing trends of antisemitism in Europe are looking especially ugly there.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...dependence-day

Quote:
60,000 far-right nationalists march on Poland’s independence day, Novermber 2017. chanting “Pure Poland! White Poland!” [Whoops, guess they forgot Nazi Germany saw them as Slavs and therefore lesser? Oh right, re-writing national myth is a part of fascism.] Demonstrators were highly antisemitic, one claimed he was marching against “Jewry.” Despite this, or perhaps because of it, the Polish government seemed to praise the event: “It was a beautiful sight,” the interior minister, Mariusz Błaszczak, said. “We are proud that so many Poles have decided to take part in a celebration connected to the Independence Day holiday.”


https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/01/w...caust-law.html
Quote:
Late Jan 2018: Poland’s senate passes on a bill proposing a ban on phrases like “Polish death camps,” - and proposes jail time for the use of such language. The law also seems to ban “people from accusing Poland of Holocaust atrocities committed by the Nazis,” even when complicity in atrocities is historical fact.
The text is as follows:

“Whoever publicly and contrary to the facts attributes to the Polish Nation or to the Polish State responsibility or co-responsibility for the Nazi crimes committed by the German Third Reich… or for any other offenses constituting crimes against peace, humanity or war crimes, or otherwise grossly diminishes the responsibility of the actual perpetrators of these crimes, shall be liable to a fine or deprivation of liberty for up to three years.”

Discussion of ANY Polish complicity in the Holocaust is therefore also part of the proposed ban. Punishment can be jail time, fine, or “restriction of liberty.” Supporters of Polish President Andrzej Duda urge him to sign the bill regardless of strong objections from both the United States, Israel, and the academic community/Holocaust scholars. The measure passed through Parliament on the eve of Holocaust Remembrance Day, Jan 27th 2018. This causes Israel to postpone diplomatic meetings with Polish representatives, and both Israel and the USA voice objections to the measure.
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #28777  
Old 02-15-2018, 03:54 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,126

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

I find Slavic/Mediterranean/Hispanic/etc white supremacists/nationalists bizarre. Is it some kind of self-hatred that drives them to believe they're white or something?
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #28778  
Old 02-18-2018, 10:27 AM
Marthen Marthen is offline

Eternal
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4,743

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
I find Slavic/Mediterranean/Hispanic/etc white supremacists/nationalists bizarre. Is it some kind of self-hatred that drives them to believe they're white or something?
At least when it comes to the Polish, I'd say it is a case of not being a blind, pretentious, and moronic troll.



__________________
Project on hiatus...
Reply With Quote
  #28779  
Old 02-18-2018, 01:46 PM
Lon-ami Lon-ami is offline

Elune
Lon-ami's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Spain
Posts: 12,518
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
I find Slavic/Mediterranean/Hispanic/etc white supremacists/nationalists bizarre. Is it some kind of self-hatred that drives them to believe they're white or something?
You know there's a lot of white subraces, right?

Only a retard would pretend those are not white.
__________________


Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Reply With Quote
  #28780  
Old 02-18-2018, 01:48 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,126

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
At least when it comes to the Polish, I'd say it is a case of not being a blind, pretentious, and moronic troll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
You know there's a lot of white subraces, right?

Only a retard would pretend those are not white.
Slavs, Hispianics, and the other ethnicities mentioned being considered "white" by some people is a very new thing. This seems to matter a lot to you for some reason.
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #28781  
Old 02-18-2018, 01:59 PM
Nazja Nazja is offline

Trade Baroness - Moderator
Nazja's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: All the lands of Wonder.
Posts: 40,708

Default

Tone it down, everyone, and Kakwakas, please try to be less inflammatory.
Reply With Quote
  #28782  
Old 02-18-2018, 02:14 PM
Lon-ami Lon-ami is offline

Elune
Lon-ami's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Spain
Posts: 12,518
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
Slavs, Hispianics, and the other ethnicities mentioned being considered "white" by some people is a very new thing. This seems to matter a lot to you for some reason.
Whatever you say. Maybe in America, where knowledge of the outside world isn't your strongest point.

If they're not white, what are they supposed to be? Blue? Green? I don't know why I even bother.
__________________


Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Reply With Quote
  #28783  
Old 02-18-2018, 02:16 PM
Marthen Marthen is offline

Eternal
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4,743

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
Slavs, Hispianics, and the other ethnicities mentioned being considered "white" by some people is a very new thing. This seems to matter a lot to you for some reason.
It matters to me because I've spent years upon years studying the evolution of ethnic and racial perception in Europe as part of my expertise, so I am not going to sit idle when a well known troll starts throwing his favorite misinformations around.



Christ, even the National Socialist Germany considered the dark haired Dinarics and Mediterraneans "Aryan and German".


__________________
Project on hiatus...
Reply With Quote
  #28784  
Old 02-18-2018, 02:38 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,126

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
Whatever you say. Maybe in America, where knowledge of the outside world isn't your strongest point.

If they're not white, what are they supposed to be? Blue? Green? I don't know why I even bother.
They're Slav/Hispanic/whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
It matters to me because I've spent years upon years studying the evolution of ethnic and racial perception in Europe as part of my expertise, so I am not going to sit idle when a well known troll starts throwing his favorite misinformations around.
Of course that would be something you've put a lot of study into.

Do you guys consider Arabs white? Pashtuns? Punjabis? Ainu?
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #28785  
Old 02-18-2018, 03:06 PM
Marthen Marthen is offline

Eternal
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4,743

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
Of course that would be something you've put a lot of study into.
Rather funny how you accuse even those people who actively do something about the right-wing extremism due to their conviction and occupation of actually sympathizing with it, and then act like a victim when I call you out on your mischievous behavior and undeserved attacks towards certain members.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
Do you guys consider Arabs white? Pashtuns? Punjabis? Ainu?
I am not particularly fond of the white-black-whatever divide, so nothing really on that front, but using a metric that has at least "some" merit, they definitely Europid predominantly.
__________________
Project on hiatus...

Last edited by Marthen; 02-18-2018 at 03:09 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #28786  
Old 02-18-2018, 03:30 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,126

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
Rather funny how you accuse even those people who actively do something about the right-wing extremism due to their conviction and occupation of actually sympathizing with it, and then act like a victim when I call you out on your mischievous behavior and undeserved attacks towards certain members.
Yes, I'm sure telling Slav/Hispanic/whatever white supremacists that they're definitely white and sympathizing with them is "doing something about it."
And did you just suggest that saying Slavs/Hispanics/etc aren't white is somehow an "undeserved attack towards certain members?"

Quote:
I am not particularly fond of the white-black-whatever divide, so nothing really on that front, but using a metric that has at least "some" merit, they definitely Europid predominantly.
That's some mighty fast backtracking. You were quick to assert that Slavs are white, but when questioned about other ethnicities...
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #28787  
Old 02-18-2018, 03:36 PM
Nazja Nazja is offline

Trade Baroness - Moderator
Nazja's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: All the lands of Wonder.
Posts: 40,708

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
And did you just suggest that saying Slavs/Hispanics/etc aren't white is somehow an "undeserved attack towards certain members?"
Uhm...

Quote:
This seems to matter a lot to you for some reason.

Of course that would be something you've put a lot of study into.
Are you not implying what I'm implying? I'm sure that that's what Marthen is actually referring to.

In any case, as mentioned previously, please try to be less inflammatory.
Reply With Quote
  #28788  
Old 02-18-2018, 04:01 PM
Marthen Marthen is offline

Eternal
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4,743

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post

In any case, as mentioned previously, please try to be less inflammatory.
Don't worry, I have no interest in playing his little game and going on defensive, so consider this my last post on the topic. I am sure every decent member is going to understand what I meant anyway, so no need for that.
__________________
Project on hiatus...
Reply With Quote
  #28789  
Old 02-18-2018, 05:51 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,126

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Are you not implying what I'm implying? I'm sure that that's what Marthen is actually referring to.

In any case, as mentioned previously, please try to be less inflammatory.
I mean, I can't think of many other reasons why people would jump in and immediately open up with "blind, pretentious, or moronic troll" and "retard." Being considered white seems to be very important to these two for some reason.
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #28790  
Old 02-19-2018, 03:08 AM
Aneurysm Aneurysm is offline

Problemsolver
Aneurysm's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Here, there, and everywhere.
Posts: 9,254

Default

In lighter news; Iceland may outlaw genital mutilation of boys. And about damn time. It's pretty baffling to me it's not illegal already in the developed world.
Reply With Quote
  #28791  
Old 02-19-2018, 05:10 AM
Marthen Marthen is offline

Eternal
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4,743

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
I mean, I can't think of many other reasons why people would jump in and immediately open up with "blind, pretentious, or moronic troll" and "retard." Being considered white seems to be very important to these two for some reason.
Of course, because;

1) Responding to an argument put forward by someone who has a steady reputation of unwarranted attacks towards decent members (remember HlaaluStyle/Destron? I do), toxic and mischievousbehavior, blatant trolling, and sometimes even threats of violence.

2) Responding to an argument utilized by Nordicists to dehumanize Slavonic and Hispanic people in order to colonize them in the past.

3) Caring about facts when you have actual knowledge on the matter thanks to the "know thy enemy" philosophy.

is apparently not a reason good enough. Instead, we are all white supremacists, even though the only person actually utilizing a Nordicist argument were you. Once again, you reveal yourself as nothing but a joke.
__________________
Project on hiatus...

Last edited by Marthen; 02-19-2018 at 05:22 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #28792  
Old 02-19-2018, 10:05 AM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,126

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
Responding to an argument utilized by Nordicists to dehumanize Slavonic and Hispanic people in order to colonize them in the past.
You realize that aligns perfectly with my initial point of it being bizarre that these people are white supremacists, right?
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #28793  
Old 02-20-2018, 04:49 AM
Marthen Marthen is offline

Eternal
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4,743

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
You realize that aligns perfectly with my initial point of it being bizarre that these people are white supremacists, right?
That's nice kid, but it does not. Socio-cultural and historical context matters, and as such, the semantic value of "white" varies not only across the globe, but also across time. "White" has always been defined rather differently in Continental Europe (not to mention variations between different regions) than in your precious Anglophone colonies. Ie, "white" had different connotations in the past US than it does in the modern one, let alone in Poland of either the past or today.

Therefore, there is nothing bizarre with the Polish people considering themselves white when the word has different connotations and the tradition runs very, very deep, even though some past Anglo-Saxon Nordicist would disagree. Now, what is actually bizarre is your Anglophone supremacism, thinking you can apply definitions specific to unique socio-cultural-historical context universally. America, fuck yeah, right?
__________________
Project on hiatus...
Reply With Quote
  #28794  
Old 02-20-2018, 01:00 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,126

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
That's nice kid, but it does not. Socio-cultural and historical context matters, and as such, the semantic value of "white" varies not only across the globe, but also across time. "White" has always been defined rather differently in Continental Europe (not to mention variations between different regions) than in your precious Anglophone colonies. Ie, "white" had different connotations in the past US than it does in the modern one, let alone in Poland of either the past or today.

Therefore, there is nothing bizarre with the Polish people considering themselves white when the word has different connotations and the tradition runs very, very deep, even though some past Anglo-Saxon Nordicist would disagree. Now, what is actually bizarre is your Anglophone supremacism, thinking you can apply definitions specific to unique socio-cultural-historical context universally. America, fuck yeah, right?
You wouldn't find it odd if black Americans started pushing for white supremacy saying that only white people like them should be in charge?
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #28795  
Old 02-20-2018, 01:31 PM
Noitora Noitora is offline

Elune
Noitora's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 34,639
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
You wouldn't find it odd if black Americans started pushing for white supremacy saying that only white people like them should be in charge?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Yeah but where would this forum be if not for people speculating endlessly about things Blizzard doesn't give a shit about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Reply With Quote
  #28796  
Old 02-20-2018, 01:55 PM
Marthen Marthen is offline

Eternal
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4,743

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
You wouldn't find it odd if black Americans started pushing for white supremacy saying that only white people like them should be in charge?
False equivalence. The black Americans have never considered themselves white, and came from a socio-cultural environment that never considered them white either. On the other hand, the Polish always have, and came from an environment that did as well. Just that a bunch of Nordicist pricks removed far from their homeland thought othewise has no relevance to their own consciousness.
__________________
Project on hiatus...
Reply With Quote
  #28797  
Old 02-20-2018, 02:38 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,126

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
False equivalence. The black Americans have never considered themselves white, and came from a socio-cultural environment that never considered them white either. On the other hand, the Polish always have, and came from an environment that did as well. Just that a bunch of Nordicist pricks removed far from their homeland thought othewise has no relevance to their own consciousness.
There's literally no difference. Nonwhite people calling themselves white and becoming white supremacists is the same no matter the ethnicity.
There's no need to get so upset over this, either. There's nothing wrong with not being white.
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #28798  
Old 02-20-2018, 02:44 PM
Marthen Marthen is offline

Eternal
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4,743

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
There's literally no difference. Nonwhite people calling themselves white and becoming white supremacists is the same no matter the ethnicity.
There's no need to get so upset over this, either. There's nothing wrong with not being white.
I hope these hyper-racialist statements do not ruin your future career.
__________________
Project on hiatus...
Reply With Quote
  #28799  
Old 02-20-2018, 03:38 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,126

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
I hope these hyper-racialist statements do not ruin your future career.
There's nothing racist about any of this. I'm not suggesting anyone is superior to anyone else.
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #28800  
Old 02-20-2018, 03:50 PM
Marthen Marthen is offline

Eternal
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4,743

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
There's nothing racist about any of this. I'm not suggesting anyone is superior to anyone else.
Sorry, too late to weasel out of this. You are using Nordic supremacist arguments to deprieve a people of an identity they've held for centuries in order to mock them and dehumanize them. You've revealed your true colors, Mr. Supremacist.
__________________
Project on hiatus...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
politics

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.