Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > General WarCraft Discussion

View Poll Results: How do you rate the Warcraft movie? (only people who watched it, please)
1/10 0 0%
2/10 0 0%
3/10 1 2.33%
4/10 6 13.95%
5/10 4 9.30%
6/10 6 13.95%
7/10 12 27.91%
8/10 10 23.26%
9/10 4 9.30%
10/10 0 0%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2016, 07:05 AM

Guru of Gilneas

4/10. The Warcraft Movie: "I feel thin, sort of stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread."

The film attempts to accomplish too much while succeeding at too little, resulting in an unfocused, loosely-cohesive story with uneven narrative pacing, sloppy exposition, too many subplots, and subpar character development. The film, in general, could have benefited heavily from establishing a narrower narrative focus in terms of the plot and characters. Although there are many moments of Warcraft fan service, there is little time or effort made in conveying Warcraft's unique charm or flavor, which results in the feeling of generic fantasy flare, particularly on the human side of things. Would the film have benefited from being longer? Maybe. But I'm not reviewing a potential product, but the unimpressive product that I saw in theaters, and it felt like a mess.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:30 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Stncold#1786

I'm going with a tentative 7 for now. I enjoyed it and it was certainly overall very true to the universe, which isn't something I feared but it was nice to be reassured.

As others have said it felt rushed at times and people without knowledge of the universe would probably feel lost now and then. The Lothar/Garona stuff was eh. Honestly I thought there was more chemistry between Foster/Patton in that one scene then there was between Fimmel/Patton in every scene they had.

The Taria/Garona scene was an unexpected favorite. The acting was pretty overall solid, with some lapses here and there but I think Schnetzer was the real star. He definitely carried a few scenes IMO. Patton was very consistently good as well.

Some lore changes I was a fan of, others not so much. The magic was completely on-point but I don't care at all for the fact there was absolutely no talk of or even usage of the Light whatsoever. I kinda got the impression even that it was just an area of lore that Duncan doesn't care for and if there's a sequel with paladins and lots of Light usage it's going to bite him in the ass when the audiences not familiar with the universe are like "What the fuck is this magic and why didn't we hear about or see it in the first movie yet it's seemingly been around all this time?"

Overall though, it was a fun and faithful experience which is what I wanted.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:53 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

As a fan of Warcraft, I give it a 7/10.

As a more objective film viewer, I would say it's 5/10. It was not the most horrid thing I've ever witnessed on screen, but it left more to be desired. It's one of those odd moments where I liked the movie, but at the same time I don't disagree with the criticism it's been getting nor am I offended by their opinions like some of the more passionate Warcraft fans seem to be.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:31 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

I've watched it.

I knew the story was going to be a mess, so I went in with that in mind.

Ignoring the story, I'm giving it a 4/10.

I think it's a mess. The pacing is horrible. You have few seconds long scenes changing the location completely. No backstory whatsoever. No character development. Pointless scenes here and there. Maybe it needed more time, I don't know.

And no decent fighting scenes at all! I didn't see any single human except the main characters kill an orc. Not a single one. Fights looked spontaneous and random. The only reason I watched this, was because I wanted to see some kickass fights, and I got NONE. All of them sucked pretty hard, and there weren't many to begin with. At least the CGI was superb, but that's it.

Bad things: The clay golem being pointless, Medivh being an asshole, the trip to Dalaran (A wizard traveling with a gryphon instead of a portal), only one gryphon at scene, no other troops aside from the most basic stuff (not even some siege action), and countless more things just in the first 30min. I should have stopped and noted them, cause I'm probably not going to watch it again.

I think we should have gotten some backstory, like Lord of the Rings' prologues. Short, awesome, and very helpful. Mannoroth's blood scene was necessary, in my opinion, or at least any scene involving all the orc leaders, with their banners, to introduce them properly. Same for the Alliance leaders, introduce them as they walk into the throne room, or don't even include them anyway. Look again how well LotR did this with Elrond's gathering.

The ending felt pretty lame as well. I don't know if they want to jump straight into the Third War after this movie or what, but the ending isn't any good for a trilogy of W1+W2.

So, let's go to story:

Changes I liked include Taria being Lothar's sister, Llane fighting in the battlefield, Durotan dueling Gul'dan, and that's it. Everything else is BAD, even Garona being "rescued" and then they all trust her just because! What the fuck.

I admit I love the original story a lot, but I swear I'm not being biased here: Most of the changes are for the WORSE. The original story, in part thanks to the novelizations, was pretty good itself, though I agree it could be improved. But all the changes they made? What was their point?

Some things feel like "non-fans gotta understand the thing" but then they don't introduce anything properly anyway in the entire movie so what's the fucking point? It's like they half-assed it between mainstream movie and fan movie, when they should have gone with just one side, preferably mainstream imo.

I just don't understand the pacing, the changes to the story, and just why they did the things they did. No tension, no mystery, no "driving you forward" with the story. In fact, viewing it from the outside, the story screams an excuse for just your generic action movie. Except it doesn't have that much action anyway.

I expected a decent movie, staying away from my love of Warcraft, and I'm sad to say I didn't find it. At least it seemed to do decent enough for this CGI to become popular I hope, I really liked the tech used. Aesthetics, they felt way too generic and repetitive in some moments.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~

Tags
entertainment, opinions, poll, survey, warcraft, warcraft movie