Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 12-14-2017, 04:39 AM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xin View Post
PS: Screw the faction pride, each and every race both in the Alliance and the Horde
Agreed. Everyone should be completely destroyed and all nations should be brought to ruins!
Old 12-14-2017, 04:48 AM

Archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
Agreed. Everyone should be completely destroyed and all nations should be brought to ruins!
Well, I do see it as a great option.
At least, it will definitely put the abomination called "WoW" to end.
Old 12-14-2017, 04:52 AM

Troubadour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xin View Post
Well, I do see it as a great option.
At least, it will definitely put the abomination called "WoW" to end.
As if the fall of Ascalon and Lion's Arch also were to bring about the end of Guild Wars.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:01 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
Highmountain tauren got tatoo (warpaint?) options separated from skin. It's now its own customization category:

http://www.wowhead.com/news=278356/h...zation-options
Neato.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:00 AM

Elune

Quote:
Highmountain tauren got tatoo (warpaint?) options separated from skin. It's now its own customization category:

Implement for tauren FUCKING WHEN?
Old 12-14-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:

As predicted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
The void elves will prob get something similar next given they seem to be going with tattoos being the extra customization.
Would work well with their heritage armor exposing so much skin.

I am handclaw and this is my favorite thread on Scrolls of Lore!... oh wait, nope... Just another bitching thread.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:26 PM

Elune

So will they give the other races a tattoo feature?
Old 12-14-2017, 12:48 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gortrash View Post
Implement for tauren FUCKING WHEN?
Something tells me Blizzard won't give much attention, if any, to old races.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 12-14-2017, 01:18 PM

Sentinel Queen

Default Posting/editing is hard for me apparently

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma Caque Attaque View Post
So will they give the other races a tattoo feature?
Probably not because they're part of the major selling points of playing an allied race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
The void elves will prob get something similar next given they seem to be going with tattoos being the extra customization.
It won't happen, but I wish they had a feature that gave the elves "voided" parts like Alleria's claws on her right hand when she was siphoning L'ura's essence or like in this fan art in addition to their tentacle-hair.

Last edited by Mending; 12-14-2017 at 01:30 PM..
Old 12-14-2017, 03:48 PM

Eternal

So I just noticed this
Quote:
Nether-Prince Durzaan: My people were reshaped by the void. Stripped of the limitations of flesh. We offer you the same gift.
He says void is what stripped them of their flesh which seems to be a retcon. It's supposed to be arcane energy that did that. Them infusing themselves with void is what the Ethereum does in Netherstorm/The Nexus but they already lost their flesh at that point.

Quote:
Using every scrap of its advanced technology, one of the mortal races hastily attempted to construct magical barriers around its cities, but it was only partially successful; although the dark energies were blocked, the unimpeded flood of arcane energy tore away the mortals' corporeal shells and infused their souls with enough energy so that they could subsist without a body… barely. Members of this race, now called ethereals, took to binding themselves with enchanted strips of cloth to provide their souls with enough structure to survive.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:50 PM

Troubadour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowsong View Post
So I just noticed this

He says void is what stripped them of their flesh which seems to be a retcon. It's supposed to be arcane energy that did that. Them infusing themselves with void is what the Ethereum does in Netherstorm/The Nexus but they already lost their flesh at that point.
He could be lying.
Old 12-14-2017, 04:25 PM

Guru of Gilneas

It's also possible that Blizzard had not firmly established its sense of magical categories yet.
Old 12-14-2017, 04:41 PM

Eternal

So Durzaan is a cenobite now.

The SoL Bunch:

Warcraft 3 Resource Discussion: (The Hive Workshop, Warcraft 3 Campaigns)
MOBA Overload!
Old 12-14-2017, 05:31 PM

Arch-Druid

I think it's more likely a mistake, or he means the Shadowguard specifically. Because if they ruin my arcane mummies I'm rioting.

Plus it'd defeat the purpose of nexus-stalkers.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:03 PM

World Builder

Probably just him exaggerating since it wouldn't have happened without the void causing problems in the first place

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 12-14-2017, 06:06 PM

Chimaera

If the Faction war was being written by people who do the story writing for FF XIV I'd be more inclined to care about it.

As it stands, Blizzard writing actively avoids logistics other than to give a pretense to have two armies smash against each other and are quickly forgotten about afterwards (Untill it's once again needed)

I can get down for Geopolitical tensions in the abstract. But that requires a certain nuance and way of writing that Blizzard frankly lacks in great quantities. They're at their best doing epic fantasy and Camp. Not Total War.

This is ultimately the reason why I hate "The Faction War." It's something that the game has only ever suffered for, never gained from. Characters with great potential are squandered or killed off, races get battered and then ignored until they need battering, and the Fanbase gets whipped into a furor over fantasy football trying to be more than what it is.

Final Fantasy and Guild wars have Politcal settings I like seeing navigated and explored and put under tension. Warcraft has systems in dire need of repair and solidifying if they want the faction War to be such a centre focus that's never going away.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:22 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenixhart View Post
If the Faction war was being written by people who do the story writing for FF XIV I'd be more inclined to care about it.
I'd agree if we were still in Heavensward but Stormblood's story really disappointed me. I thought it was super rushed, especially the Ala Mhigo parts, and didn't care about any of the characters the way I did Estinien or Ysalye. Though it's true Stormblood had more logistics and stuff than Blizzard tends to bother with, I still really didn't like it.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:55 PM

Faerie Dragon
Send a message via MSN to Hades

Quote:

As it stands, Blizzard writing actively avoids logistics other than to give a pretense to have two armies smash against each other and are quickly forgotten about afterwards (Untill it's once again needed)

I can get down for Geopolitical tensions in the abstract. But that requires a certain nuance and way of writing that Blizzard frankly lacks in great quantities. They're at their best doing epic fantasy and Camp. Not Total War.

This is ultimately the reason why I hate "The Faction War." It's something that the game has only ever suffered for, never gained from. Characters with great potential are squandered or killed off, races get battered and then ignored until they need battering, and the Fanbase gets whipped into a furor over fantasy football trying to be more than what it is.

Final Fantasy and Guild wars have Politcal settings I like seeing navigated and explored and put under tension. Warcraft has systems in dire need of repair and solidifying if they want the faction War to be such a centre focus that's never going away.
The problem with this is that alliance and horde no longer make sense, those two factions have become totally decharacterized with every expansion. Now people likes some of the allied factions, but few people really cares for the big conglomerate as a whole. People like the orcs and the orgrimmar horde, or Sylvanas, or the blood elfs...but Alliance and Horde are decharacterized and obsolete, so faction war feels unappealing except for the bits about the faction you like.

Last edited by Hades; 12-14-2017 at 06:59 PM..
Old 12-14-2017, 08:31 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
I'd agree if we were still in Heavensward but Stormblood's story really disappointed me. I thought it was super rushed, especially the Ala Mhigo parts, and didn't care about any of the characters the way I did Estinien or Ysalye. Though it's true Stormblood had more logistics and stuff than Blizzard tends to bother with, I still really didn't like it.
Yea Stormbloods story was a bit too 'bad anime' for me. The thing with FF14 is that it's much more character driven than WoW is.

Last edited by Leviathon; 12-14-2017 at 08:34 PM..
Old 12-14-2017, 09:37 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Stncold#1786

Quote:

I can't speak for Final Fantasy but Guild Wars political settings are even more human-biased than Warcraft so it's interesting to me that you're using it as a positive comparison.

Part of the reason non-human RP is almost non-existent in GW2 is because Arenanet rarely bothers to delve into the lore and political systems of the other four races. Sure they have non-human members of Dragon's Watch but that's about as far as it goes.

Last edited by Yorenec; 12-14-2017 at 09:40 PM..
Old 12-15-2017, 02:11 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Crazyterran#1213

Having done all the class campaigns, they defintiely phoned a few of them in (and most of the class mounts too).

The more they keep one storyline means we all get quality stuff, instead of a few brilliant stories and a bunch of rushed and phoned in things.

I like the faction war stories as it lets them redraw the borders. Forsaken getting the boot for a (mostly) Alliance dominated Eastern Kingdoms? Alright. The Night Elves going all guerilla warfare and being savage as the Horde paints Kalimdor red? Im on board.

If they want the expansion to end in a 'we wont fight anymore, mostly', the continents are probably going to be mostly seperated by faction, with the occassional thing flaring up in the Great Sea. The Exodar and Silvermoon might be cut off, and the end of the questing zones teleports you across to SW/
Org.
So many deluded people think their rotting Waifuchief cares for them and their faction, when every scrap of internalized narrative has made it clear for years that to Sylvanas, the entirety of the Horde - including her own people - is nothing more than a shitton of bodies to stack between herself and her final death.

And all it takes is a tactically calculated "for the Horde" rallying the troops to make them all think "OMG she really does care!"
Old 12-15-2017, 03:23 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowsong View Post
So I just noticed this

Blizzard retconning things so they fit the newest cool addition to lore is nothing new.

BUT Durzaam may be just speaking figuratively. They may have been saved by arcane, but it was a void entity that caused the whole mess, so maybe he, maddened by the whispers, is now grateful to the void.

Or maybe these ethereals have a different origin.

Or the story may be more complicated and we just saw two simplifications. The void was turned them into ethereals, but the arcane ones used technology to keep themselves clean of void energy and not be slaves of the darkness. Some of the arcane ones (Ethereum) may then decided that it wouldn't be a bad idea to have let the void corrupt them completely.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 12-15-2017, 07:10 AM

Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post
The problem with this is that alliance and horde no longer make sense, those two factions have become totally decharacterized with every expansion. Now people likes some of the allied factions, but few people really cares for the big conglomerate as a whole. People like the orcs and the orgrimmar horde, or Sylvanas, or the blood elfs...but Alliance and Horde are decharacterized and obsolete, so faction war feels unappealing except for the bits about the faction you like.
That's part of it yes.

Worgen vs. Forsaken is something I'd never get tired of. Orcs Vs. Humans is just a classic that will never die so whatever.

But that's where natural Race Enmity dies off. Who do the Draenei historically Oppose? Orcs where the biggest offenders, but they hold no real open enmity towards them-Their biggest beef was with the Legion.

Night elves? More or less the same with the Legion thing and Orcs

Dwarves? Each other baiscally

Tauren? The Centaur, who haven't existed past level 30

Gnomes? Lmao who even remembers.

Trolls? Mostly each other

You can see the emerging problem here. Most of the Races are Opposed with an NPC faction that some haven't even been present in the game's screen for years.

They haven't built up any organic conflict with any of the factions that aren't comprised of the Red And Blue to really make it happen natrually. They let a possible Tauren and Dwarven thing die on the vine.

If this were any other game company these enemies would still be around or relevant.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:07 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Uh, gnomes vs. goblins, dude. It's been a theme since WCII and it was a whole hearthstone expac, and now they're also going to be the factions' go-to for Azerite detection.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:57 PM

Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Uh, gnomes vs. goblins, dude. It's been a theme since WCII and it was a whole hearthstone expac, and now they're also going to be the factions' go-to for Azerite detection.
I was considering more combative rivalries since Gob vs. Gnomes def seems more like the Nerdy Tech-Off

...Which I guess could be something we could use more of admittedly.

Tags
alliance whining, azeroth literally dying, battle for azeroth, for the whored, quilboar bias, world of warcraft