Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 01-19-2018, 01:32 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Crazyterran#1213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
There are people who still believe that Genn was in the wrong, and that Sylvanas was in the right in Stormheim.
Considering the Alliance isnt Omniscient, the Alliance leaders think the Horde bailing was an attempt to screw the Alliance over, which did succeed in killing the leader of its armies.

Of course, why consider little things like what the characters do and dont know when considering who is in the wrong, right? :p

Greymane is best King 2018.
So many deluded people think their rotting Waifuchief cares for them and their faction, when every scrap of internalized narrative has made it clear for years that to Sylvanas, the entirety of the Horde - including her own people - is nothing more than a shitton of bodies to stack between herself and her final death.

And all it takes is a tactically calculated "for the Horde" rallying the troops to make them all think "OMG she really does care!"
Old 01-19-2018, 03:02 AM

Faerie Dragon
Send a message via MSN to Hades

That horde cinematic makes me constantly think in how stinky must be to stay in that closed room with rottenpussy and her mate. Unpleasant.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:09 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post
That horde cinematic makes me constantly think in how stinky must be to stay in that closed room with rottenpussy and her mate. Unpleasant.
Implying tauren, orcs and trolls have better personal hygiene.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:12 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
Blizzard added new geosets that flatten out the chest area for males and females when they are wearing tabards. Handclaw found these geosets a few months back though we weren't sure what they were for.
Finally, that's great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
There's a new PTR build that fixes the issues with heroic and normal dungeons and soloing old raids, as well as nerfing the health of MoP and WoD npcs in general. Also there have been further tweeks to lightforged and nightborne racial abilities.

There's a very long extended maintenance on live servers tomorrow, which will probably be to apply this new build to live servers.

I wonder though, if they bothered to include some very minor allied race adjustments, might there also be model updates for them in the build that haven't been datamined?
Nothing prevents them from uploading more assets just before preorders are available, thought.

I'm pretty sure they are still working on the races. 7.3.5 was rushed as fuck, and we will probably get more minor patches down the road.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).

Last edited by Deicide; 01-19-2018 at 03:17 AM..
Old 01-19-2018, 09:19 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gortrash View Post
Implying tauren, orcs and trolls have better personal hygiene.
They probably do. They're not medieval Europeans who just cover themselves in Eau de Cologne and call it a day.

That's probably what the Forsaken do, though. rotten flesh and perfume! Delightful.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:30 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
They probably do. They're not medieval Europeans who just cover themselves in Eau de Cologne and call it a day.

That's probably what the Forsaken do, though. rotten flesh and perfume! Delightful.
I think they don't do even that. According to several sources, forsaken's senses are dulled. Nathanos only noticed how bad they smell when he was enhanced into a DK-like greater undead throught the val'kyr ritual. As such, I doubt the forsaken care about how hygiene at all.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:49 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
Nathanos only noticed how bad they smell when he was enhanced into a DK-like greater undead throught the val'kyr ritual.
Is that a thing? That's it, i'm shipping Silthanos now.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:15 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
I think they don't do even that. According to several sources, forsaken's senses are dulled. Nathanos only noticed how bad they smell when he was enhanced into a DK-like greater undead throught the val'kyr ritual. As such, I doubt the forsaken care about how hygiene at all.
Humans are vain creatures?

But you're right, I was mostly thinking of more lively looking undead who might want to live among their living brethren. Like a human DK.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:19 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Humans are vain creatures?

But you're right, I was mostly thinking of more lively looking undead who might want to live among their living brethren. Like a human DK.
My guess is that higher undead like Sylvie, Nath and DKs do not smell badly. They do not rot and don't sweat, so I guess their natural scent is pretty neutral.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:29 AM

Faerie Dragon
Send a message via MSN to Hades

Actually I do not think a corpse can smell good even if he cares for hygiene and takes three showers a day. That would be a big problem for sneak classes.
But maybe it does not go that way because of...magic.

In truth I am very happy to have opened a debate about undead smell
Old 01-19-2018, 11:31 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
Is this the first time we enter the Shadowlands while actually alive (unless Helheim is in there which I've never been clear on)?
I'm pretty sure Helheim is there, or between the Shadowlands and Azeroth. With Xal'atath's comments about it, I think she finds Helheim to be reminiscent of what the Void is doing with the Shadowlands.

And it's pretty fucking obvious the Void has it's roots extremely deep in the Shadowlands. There's a reason the Old Gods boast about being Gods of Death and how each death feeds them. This Uuna questline does nothing to dispel that idea.

Even if Death and Void are separate domains, so too is the Emerald Dream. That does nothing to prevent them from utterly making it theirs, and the Shadowlands are probably easier for them. With the Deathly and Decaying forms of the Nightmare Dragons, they probably even used the Shadowlands in their efforts to subvert the Dream.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:49 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Actually I do not think a corpse can smell good even if he cares for hygiene and takes three showers a day. That would be a big problem for sneak classes.
But maybe it does not go that way because of...magic.

Well, considering they (greater undead, of course) are animated and preserved by magic, saying they do not smell that way because of magic is actually pretty accurate.

But, of course, if they do not care for hygiene, they'd eventually smell of whatever substances they get contact with. Including the smell of torn flesh or blood from their victims, or from the sewers they live on.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:51 AM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Rotal View Post
Is that a thing? That's it, i'm shipping Silthanos now.
Yeah, there is a whole short story about that. It pretty much confirms that Sylvanas and Nathanos were a thing when they were alive (though technically keeps it ambiguous) and much more ambiguously suggests they might still be in undeath.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:54 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
Yeah, there is a whole short story about that. It pretty much confirms that Sylvanas and Nathanos were a thing when they were alive (though technically keeps it ambiguous) and much more ambiguously suggests they might still be in undeath.
I'd guess that undead do not feel lust (you know, no bodily needs), but they can still have love. Or some twisted form of it.

Last edited by Deicide; 01-19-2018 at 11:58 AM..
Old 01-19-2018, 12:21 PM

Arch-Druid

Aside from thier souls being stiched spaghetti dulling thier emotions, they're also super tsunderes so they won't admit it anyway.

Also Nathanos (or the description of th narrator) described as Sylvanas as smelling like decaying roses, so the higher up Forsaken like her and Nathanos + the Dark Rangers probably don't smell that much.

Last edited by Azurehax; 01-19-2018 at 12:25 PM..
Old 01-19-2018, 01:02 PM

Loremaster

The thing where Sylvanas' lips split and crack when she speaks in the short stories suggests that rather than outright preserving them against decay, more advanced undeath might maintain a rate of regeneration that's near enough to the rate of decay to keep them suspended in roughly the same state of decay they were in at the time of reanimation.

So Sylvanas would be partially rotted already - and kept in that condition - from her body having been left to deteriorate for a time while she was a banshee, while Nathanos' soul was basically immediately jammed into his cousin's fresh corpse, so he'd probably be about a close as the undead can be to not decayed at all.

In fact one might argue that Sylvanas should be more decayed than most Forsaken, since she's really just a banshee puppeting a corpse made of dead meat and desiccated blood rather than a plague-based undead with all the altered physiology that comes with being raised in that manner, such as their blood becoming ichor and the like.

Last edited by ARM3481; 01-19-2018 at 01:08 PM..
Old 01-19-2018, 01:12 PM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
I too enjoy physiological debates about the undead.

Quote:
Well, considering they (greater undead, of course) are animated and preserved by magic, saying they do not smell that way because of magic is actually pretty accurate.

But, of course, if they do not care for hygiene, they'd eventually smell of whatever substances they get contact with. Including the smell of torn flesh or blood from their victims, or from the sewers they live on.
To be honest i'd expect them to smell either earthy or sewery, as Deicide notes, due to their living conditions.
While i'm loath to use WoW art as a lore-indicator, the lore has bent over backwards for quite some time now in order to turn WoW's art into the actual in-lore representation (remember when Legends showed us Brill to ACTUALLY be, like, three houses?). So we're just gonna go with that.

Basically, taking the general playable undead, there seems to be very little rot. Some face options seem to have some kind of boils or pustles but i'm reasonably certain those are fungi due to the lack of rot or other signs of decay.
The only real signs of their bodies breaking down are the joints: ellbows, hands, feet, knees, the jaw, the spine - basically everything that's going to break down due to it's own movement since the body can't regenerate anymore. (Which begs the question what exactly healers heal during a fight. Is healing magic combat-specific?) The general Forsaken-style undead doesn't display any more icky modifications than that, other than abominations like rotting, fungus-infected stitched-together corpses or leppergnomes.

Therefore I propose that the common Scourge-style undead citizen's body is likely uninteresting to any bacteria that would usually take care of reducing bodies, significantly reducing gas buildups and other smell-sources. Like the zombies in World War Z. The book, not the INO movie.

Quote:
I'd guess that undead do not feel lust (you know, no bodily needs), but they can still have love. Or some twisted form of it.
Considering the complete spectrum of emotions and needs we've witnessed (ranging from the wish for companionship to feeling cold), not to mention the fact that their nervous system would be completely useless, i'd reckon that any and all desires are a result of their magical nature and not bound to their body's capabilities at all. So yeah, if WoW wasn't 12 and up i'd expect a lot of them to be sexually frustrated because they can't get off anymore. (Unless they can, see above.)
Old 01-19-2018, 01:13 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
The thing where Sylvanas' lips split and crack when she speaks in the short stories suggests that rather than outright preserving them against decay, more advanced undeath might maintain a rate of regeneration that's near enough to the rate of decay to keep them suspended in roughly the same state of decay they were in at the time of reanimation.

So Sylvanas would be partially rotted already - and kept in that condition - from her body having been left to deteriorate for a time while she was a banshee, while Nathanos' soul was basically immediately jammed into his cousin's fresh corpse, so he'd probably be about a close as the undead can be to not decayed at all.

In fact one might argue that Sylvanas should be more decayed than most Forsaken, since she's really just a banshee puppeting a corpse made of dead meat and desiccated blood rather than a plague-based undead with all the altered physiology that comes with being raised in that manner, such as their blood becoming ichor and the like.
Blizzard never gave us a proper explanation on Sylvanas or her dark rangers. We know what she is, a banahee inhabiting her preserved corpse under the condition of enhanced undeath, but not how she became what she is (did she just possessed herself, or was there more to it? Did Arthas/Lich King help her?), nor the limits of her powers (can she leave her body as a ghost and later return?)

Other than that, we can assume greater undead regenerate, or else she would be full of stitches and damage by now.

Edit:
On Rotal’s notes, I believe basic forsaken do not really rot away like a normal corpse. The necromancy that raised them keep them in that state, but they are full of fungi and bacteria that would produce smell of rotten carcass, and they do not regenerate beyond their original corpse state, unlike greater undead. Also, they don’t heal well from damage, so they need to be stitched together, and their very activity may cause further damage (specially in their joints).

Last edited by Deicide; 01-19-2018 at 01:21 PM..
Old 01-19-2018, 02:11 PM

Chimaera

Quote:
nor the limits of her powers (can she leave her body as a ghost and later return?)
She can shift in and out of incorporeal banshee form at will.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Sylvanas_W...Lore_abilities
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Major_Char...ecrown_Citadel
https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...1#post25244093

Previous avatars: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Old 01-19-2018, 02:25 PM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post

on the other hand, she also has some degree of shadow abilities which (as seen with Natalie) can preserve bodies just as good as the light can
Old 01-19-2018, 03:24 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

After reading about the last pages about you (((guys))) talking abou how sylvanas smells

my only response is:

come on guys...

really?? Really? Reallly?!

Altough thanks for not mentioning the stuff that is farmable. because well. The old scarlet set and such should be kept a secret from blizzard.
Btag is Hulk#23939

Last edited by Gurzog; 01-19-2018 at 03:26 PM..
Old 01-19-2018, 04:03 PM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
After reading about the last pages about you (((guys))) talking abou how sylvanas smells

my only response is:

come on guys...

really?? Really? Reallly?!

When you're at 125 pages and it's been some time since the last big announcement, it's either that or listening to me rant about the same thing for the forty-seventh time.

Which makes you want to gouge your eyes out less?
Old 01-19-2018, 06:16 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
how sylvanas smells
Heaven
Old 01-20-2018, 01:00 AM

Eternal

Quote:
On Rotal’s notes, I believe basic forsaken do not really rot away like a normal corpse.
They do. That's one of the main reasons the Royal Apothecary Society exists. Besides finding new fun ways to wipe out the living, they also come up with new ointments and salves that slow or halt the decay. Forsaken citizens regulary have to visit apothecarys for their treatments.
Hammerbrew commenting on Anders Behring Breivik's killing spree - 2017
Old 01-20-2018, 03:11 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

The whole azerite stuff and it making you feel good and powerful made me think about the BL and sargeras, he probably used titan stuff for his most powerful champions or for recruitment.
Btag is Hulk#23939

Tags
alliance whining, azeroth literally dying, battle for azeroth, for the whored, quilboar bias, world of warcraft