Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 01-31-2018, 02:59 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
You could also make that argument for the Tauren, after Garrosh and now Sylvanas pulling them into war.
True. Even the Darkspears. Hell, concerning Garrosh's conduct, even the Forsaken. Goblins are trickier, since a bunch of them ended up siding with Garrosh and Gallywix never seemed so much outraged with him as simply inclined to help the rebellion because he figured they would win. And Pandaren...it honestly remains dumb that their recruitment basically involved Garrosh characteristically threatening them and outright telling them they'll be expected to slaughter a bunch of their own people for the Horde, and they don't walk out immediately. At least Varian seems kinda regretful about the necessity; Garrosh basically just tells the player "a bunch of the other pandaren picked wrong, so fuck your feelings 'cuz they've all gotta die."

Worse, the current search for new allies is similarly framed as needing them to help fight the other faction. So while the big stuff like burning Teldrassil and besieging Lordaeron hasn't happened yet, the circumstances are being treated as if the factions are already nominally at war, if not yet marching en masse into each others territories. Which means the Nightborne and Highmountain aren't just joining the Horde because they'd prefer their company over the Alliance; the context presented makes it so they're willfully doing so in the knowledge that it means going to war with and killing the Alliance.

And to be fair, the same goes for the void elves and the collection of draenei haircuts they're passing off as a new race. By joining the factions now, under these circumstances, they're all picking sides in a war that they had no justified reason to fight in until they literally flagged for it. The Alliance and Horde being at war should be reason for neutral parties to refuse to join either side until they get their conflict sorted out, not for them to blindly jump in and start throwing lives away in a war they had no stake in at all before they picked a side.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:14 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
can you go back to it?
Yes, if you are a void elf, there's a void rift to the right of the embassy entrance.

You also have to return there to get the heritage set.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 01-31-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
The elves betrayed humanity 3 times
Quelthalas while troops fought the Horde in the final battle where Doomhammer was defeated, the high elves had to fight alone to expel the amani! that's why anasterian left the alliance.

After fighting desperately to free dalaran from the plague, the blood elves are condemned to die in Dalaran !!

Despite no longer belonging to the alliance the blood elves allow a dwarf ambassador. What does that ambassador do? spy for a night elf army that invades quelthalas!
Old 01-31-2018, 04:02 PM

Elune

So do we now have enough evidence so finally safely conclude that Allied Races are a half-assed and ultimately a flawed idea from its very conception?

Can we also agree that all this time and resources could've been spent more productively?

Like, you know, creating actual new races?
Old 01-31-2018, 04:12 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gortrash View Post
So do we now have enough evidence so finally safely conclude that Allied Races are a half-assed and ultimately a flawed idea from its very conception?

Can we also agree that all this time and resources could've been spent more productively?

This first wave seems rushed -- and hey, they probably are rushed, to get them out so early -- but the idea of having new allied races in each subsequent major BFA patch excites me. It's a really cool idea to have them added as the expansion progresses, and I much prefer that over a single full race or two at the start of an expac.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:15 PM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicGuitars View Post
This first wave seems rushed -- and hey, they probably are rushed, to get them out so early -- but the idea of having new allied races in each subsequent major BFA patch excites me. It's a really cool idea to have them added as the expansion progresses, and I much prefer that over a single full race or two at the start of an expac.
I could live with rushed but the problem is they're halfassed, overcomplicated for what it was supposed to be and deliberately shitting all over what people ACTUALLY wanted out of sub races.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:20 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:

No.

No.

We can have both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:26 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:

Nah. Blizzard rushed this first batch. They should've taken their time, made dev watercoolers (like they did with the new models back in WoD), previews, hear the feedback.

These allied races had less than 3 months between announcement and release. They were bound to be flawed. That does not mean all of them will be so, nor that these can't be improved.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:28 PM

Eternal

I hate it when I have to agree with the angry no kid.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:39 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Man i just want to play Pug warriors and have Murloc Races, fuck the allied races and all i just want my god damned Shark race, so i can swim in the sea and swim in land and use mounts and shit and splash as hard as a Magikarp before lvl 20 and be useless, yes that is my Fantasy and all i want to play fuck getting some different customization options, amirite guys.

Also Blood elves exists on horde for good reasons, they pulled in coz whatever the fuck chronicles said, not game mechanics.

shut the fuck up

/endblizzardapologist

Ok now i can stop acting like a mmo-c turd.
Btag is Hulk#23939
Old 01-31-2018, 04:44 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicGuitars View Post
Basically, this but I don't even really agree with rushed outside of facial rigging.

Allied races are basically just glorified customization options, and I will gladly take several patches of that over the course of an expansion rather than a pair of "real" races every 2-3 expansions.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finarfin View Post
So long as the character development is consistent, I have no issues. I just found it a bit odd (initially mind you) considering the HEs generally look down upon the BEs for adopting the "Fel brand of magic" to survive. But yah, I guess given how warlocks, shadow priests, DHs and DKs are now so much more common, it would be appropriate to assume that they're probably more tolerable now to different brands of magic.

They've certainly developed the BE relations with the horde a lot more since TBC but I have to admit that the initial faction jump was hard to digest or at least acknowledge considering it felt a bit shoehorned in. I really enjoyed the BE race prorgession in MoP though with Varian and Lor'themar trying to come to an arrangement and the way the whole Dalaran & Throne of Thunder incidents played out.

Also, do we know what sort of a role Christie Golden will be playing for BFA? I do hope that whatever is written in the new book gets reflected in the game as well. Else it's honestly just a pain to go through two different "canon" versions of events. The latest cinematics for the Horde and Ally seem to suggest that it'll probably be the former.
the blood elves left the alliance in WCIII and joined the horde in TBC. they tried to have good relations with the alliance but the alliance sent troops and spies to quelthalas.
the forsaken were helping fight against the scourge
Old 01-31-2018, 05:10 PM

Banished

If the Horde gets AU orcs, (which i assume are gonna be hunchless orcs) what do you think the Alliance could get?
Old 01-31-2018, 05:25 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenyaArikado View Post
If the Horde gets AU orcs, (which i assume are gonna be hunchless orcs) what do you think the Alliance could get?
Hunched humans.
Btag is Hulk#23939
Old 01-31-2018, 05:28 PM

Elune

Quote:
Something with two legs at least. That seems to be the one thing that Blizzard is requiring for a new race.

I would think maybe either Kul Tiras humans, or those fox people.

Already have two versions of draenei so no AU-draenei.

Personally, those snake people would be totally awesome, but if they want an established race, then my left field answer would be blood trolls or some other version of trolls.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:30 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
My guess is Kul Tiras humans would pair with Draenorcs.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:06 PM

Mountain Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
Doesn't Atal mean devoted? I expected embassies (or more accurately, ghettos) for the lesser trolls, but Atal seems an odd prefix.
Maybe Drak, Gurub and Aman are sort of Troll legendary heroes/cultural icons who are credited with "creating" the other tribes? Like Dath'remar Sunstrider?

On a completely unrelated note: I've seen a quote on WoWpedia that seems to imply Telogrus Rift is what remains of the world Sargeras cleaved in a half in order to halt the birth of a corrupted world-soul. Are there more hints in that general direction in the game itself? I won't get my hopes up because, well, it's Blizzard, but it could be a really, really good plot seed.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:26 PM

Faerie Dragon

I have the suspicion that they will release allied races in the x.x5 patches.

8.1.5 - Draenor Orcs + Dark Iron Dwarves

8.2.5 - Zandalari + Kul Tirans

8.3.5 - Pre Next Expansion races, Sethrak, Vulpera, Quillboar and something else?
Old 01-31-2018, 06:36 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipnos View Post
I have the suspicion that they will release allied races in the x.x5 patches.

8.1.5 - Draenor Orcs + Dark Iron Dwarves

8.2.5 - Zandalari + Kul Tirans

8.3.5 - Pre Next Expansion races, Sethrak, Vulpera, Quillboar and something else?
Due to announcement at Blizzcon, I don't think there's any other first duo possible other than Zandalari + Dark Irons. And I think they'll be available in 8.0.

The other allied races, however, will probably come in 8.X.5 patches.

Second duo seems to be Orc Clans + Kul Tirans.

From then on, I have no idea, as Blizzard can both bring something new or something classic into the mix.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:46 PM

Arch-Druid

I can't see Zandalari being released after Draenor Orcs since they were revealed first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_C View Post
On a completely unrelated note: I've seen a quote on WoWpedia that seems to imply Telogrus Rift is what remains of the world Sargeras cleaved in a half in order to halt the birth of a corrupted world-soul. Are there more hints in that general direction in the game itself? I won't get my hopes up because, well, it's Blizzard, but it could be a really, really good plot seed.
There's just the one quote, but honestly I think that quote is conclusive enough in itself.
Even shattered as it is, this place echoes with the whispers of the great ones who were slain... and the hatred of he who broke this world.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:48 PM

Elune

They have confirmed zandalari and dark iron will be available at release, just at max lvl.
Btag is Hulk#23939
Old 01-31-2018, 06:56 PM

Elune

Going through my servers, it's pretty clear which Allied race the Alliance is playing more.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:57 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
I can't see Zandalari being released after Draenor Orcs since they were revealed first.

There's just the one quote, but honestly I think that quote is conclusive enough in itself.
Even shattered as it is, this place echoes with the whispers of the great ones who were slain... and the hatred of he who broke this world.
If I'm not mistaken, Locus Walker dialog option also adds something to this, but I can't remember what he says.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:02 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma Caque Attaque View Post
Going through my servers, it's pretty clear which Allied race the Alliance is playing more.

The fact of the matter is that players wanted Alliance High Elves. And honestly it's good to see them back in the Alliance in some playable form, as odd as the choices Blizzard made in implementation are.
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies� strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night� live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:27 PM

Elune

Players rolling Goth'Dorei are just encouraging Blizzards bad behavior.

We should be spraying them with water.

Tags
alliance whining, azeroth literally dying, battle for azeroth, for the whored, quilboar bias, world of warcraft