Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 09-11-2017, 06:22 AM

Eternal

Today I learned that I was this close to becoming an American.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:35 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Secessionists?
That was a long time ago!
Old 09-11-2017, 03:41 PM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromak View Post
Today I learned that I was this close to becoming an American.
Your parents were in vacation in the US until juuust before you were born?

Or is it a more standard story of "Grandparents were supposed to immigrate to the US, but didn't because [thing]"?
Old 09-11-2017, 04:08 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
Your parents were in vacation in the US until juuust before you were born?

Or is it a more standard story of "Grandparents were supposed to immigrate to the US, but didn't because [thing]"?
Back when I was really small, my parents loved to go on vacation to the US. So much in fact, that they seriously considered leaving Germany and immigrating to the US. Which was probably helped by the fact that they only recently moved to my hometown and didn't like it at all, my mother especially since it's a small town and she was used to big cities. Anyway, they went through the whole procedure to get Greencards and what not which is apparently not easy at all, driving to the embassy, getting a health check up for the entire family and be lucky enough to be selected in a selection process from multiple candidates.

However, ultimately they decided against it. Still, it's kinda scary to think how close I got to have literally everything in my life be so drastically changed. I'm glad that they didn't do it, I very much like Germany.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:24 PM

Elune

Quote:
Back when I was really small, my parents loved to go on vacation to the US. So much in fact, that they seriously considered leaving Germany and immigrating to the US. Which was probably helped by the fact that they only recently moved to my hometown and didn't like it at all, my mother especially since it's a small town and she was used to big cities. Anyway, they went through the whole procedure to get Greencards and what not which is apparently not easy at all, driving to the embassy, getting a health check up for the entire family and be lucky enough to be selected in a selection process from multiple candidates.

However, ultimately they decided against it. Still, it's kinda scary to think how close I got to have literally everything in my life be so drastically changed. I'm glad that they didn't do it, I very much like Germany.
But you would probably like the USA too! You wouldn't know any different.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:08 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
But you would probably like the USA too! You wouldn't know any different.
Well, it's certainly true that you don't miss what you never knew. And I don't really dislike the US, I just really love my home country. I'm very much a "home sweet home" guy, always was. I don't think young me could've coped with never getting back home.

Last edited by Gromak; 09-11-2017 at 05:12 PM..
Old 09-12-2017, 02:24 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Well, it's certainly true that you don't miss what you never knew. And I don't really dislike the US, I just really love my home country. I'm very much a "home sweet home" guy, always was. I don't think young me could've coped with never getting back home.
I moved from New York to Florida when I was 7, and look how I turned out.
Quote:
The continuing existence of Five Night's at Freddies is proof that there is no God.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:22 PM

Elune

Glad you guys made it through without too many problems.

Hopefully Cosmic and Ragnahar are alright too.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:18 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:

Aye, it's funny how things often work out that way. Our personal histories could all be radically different with just tiny decisions. Granted, the decision of whether or not you want to start your family across the world can hardly be described as tiny from the point of the ones at that particular crossroad, but it's still something over which we've no control. I'd bet if you looked around, you could fine tons of similar stories, where children and/or grandchildren were very nearly born a world apart from the one they know.

I only really brought up the possibility of having been born on your parents' vacation because it happens to be the case for one of my aunts, who was born a week early than expected when my grandparents were still visiting the States. Flash forward decades later, and despite having never actually lived in the United States, the US government decided it'd be a good idea to try to collect back-taxes, such that she had no choice but to jump through a bunch of hoops to actually renounce her US citizenship (which she never knew she had) or fork up some umpteen thousands of dollars.

It's still crazy though. Had your parents decided to stay in the States, you may have never known Germany, and your relationship to the country of your parents would have been completely different than what it turned out. Being three generations separated from Europe on one side, and sixteen generations (we're pretty sure) separated from Europe on the other, I couldn't even begin to understand what that'd be like, but it's still a neat thing to consider.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:53 PM

Elune

Quote:
You could have visited Germany but your entire perspective would be different if you were born in the US.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:36 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

I love USA a lot.

BTW spent my days to defend a Chinese actress from some stupid ppl. Prejudice makes people stupid.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:35 PM

Elune

Shadow Orb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
BTW spent my days to defend a Chinese actress from some stupid ppl. Prejudice makes people stupid.
What an amazing hobby.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:58 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Quote:
Aye, it's funny how things often work out that way. Our personal histories could all be radically different with just tiny decisions. Granted, the decision of whether or not you want to start your family across the world can hardly be described as tiny from the point of the ones at that particular crossroad, but it's still something over which we've no control. I'd bet if you looked around, you could fine tons of similar stories, where children and/or grandchildren were very nearly born a world apart from the one they know.

I only really brought up the possibility of having been born on your parents' vacation because it happens to be the case for one of my aunts, who was born a week early than expected when my grandparents were still visiting the States. Flash forward decades later, and despite having never actually lived in the United States, the US government decided it'd be a good idea to try to collect back-taxes, such that she had no choice but to jump through a bunch of hoops to actually renounce her US citizenship (which she never knew she had) or fork up some umpteen thousands of dollars.

It's still crazy though. Had your parents decided to stay in the States, you may have never known Germany, and your relationship to the country of your parents would have been completely different than what it turned out. Being three generations separated from Europe on one side, and sixteen generations (we're pretty sure) separated from Europe on the other, I couldn't even begin to understand what that'd be like, but it's still a neat thing to consider.
My parents were apparently considering moving to Perth, Western Australia, before I was born. Wonder how life would have been for me growing up there.

Much like Gromak, I'm a "home sweet home" kind of guy.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 09-14-2017, 03:11 AM

Problemsolver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
I love USA a lot.

Oh, so you've landed a job as celebrity security personnel?

I'm glad to see you move up in the world, chasing your dreams. Good on ya, Pokers.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:49 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
My parents were apparently considering moving to Perth, Western Australia, before I was born. Wonder how life would have been for me growing up there.

You would have been eaten by dingos after falling into a pool of those paralyzing jellyfish with the pretty colors due to a scorpion in your shoe stinging you with a debilitating venom.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:46 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:

I hear ya. I have a handful of friends who're second generation immigrants, but I've never really picked their brains on what their relationship is to the country of their parents. Certainly, if you've only lived in one place your entire life, odds are pretty good that'll be the one to which you feel the deepest connection, but I'm sure there's some pull to learn more about your ancestry.

I mean, every year people get crazy talking about how Irish they are, even if they're several generations removed, but that's a St-Patrick's Day thing, so I don't know how pronounced that attachment is the other 364 days of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
You would have been eaten by dingos after falling into a pool of those paralyzing jellyfish with the pretty colors due to a scorpion in your shoe stinging you with a debilitating venom.
I'm given to understand that's part of the Australian reproductive cycle, no? Like, two weeks later, a dozen mini-Hlaalus would've burst out of the dingos' chests and instinctively sought out the Outback to photosynthesize until they've matured to the point they can make their way back to civilization.

Instead, he'll... actually, I'm less familiar with the Californian reproductive cycle. I suspect it might involve surfing to some extent?
Old 09-14-2017, 06:52 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Back to feeling dead on the inside.
Quote:
The continuing existence of Five Night's at Freddies is proof that there is no God.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:45 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

There is no sight more horrifying than that of my own blood.
Quote:
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:51 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
There is no sight more horrifying than that of my own blood.
Your Brain: That shouldn't be there. That should be inside!

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 09-14-2017, 10:05 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Your Brain: That shouldn't be there. That should be inside!
And on a deeper level: This cannot be. I shouldn't be vulnerable!
Quote:
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:08 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
How come?
Old 09-14-2017, 10:35 AM

Elune

Quote:
Instead, he'll... actually, I'm less familiar with the Californian reproductive cycle. I suspect it might involve surfing to some extent?
After a courtship ritual of fruity drinks and saying the word 'brah' a lot, the male waxes the female's surfboard. When she uses this to surf later on, the genetic waxing material mixes with the salt sea water, allowing it to enter through the receptors in the feet.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:28 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Quote:
I hear ya. I have a handful of friends who're second generation immigrants, but I've never really picked their brains on what their relationship is to the country of their parents. Certainly, if you've only lived in one place your entire life, odds are pretty good that'll be the one to which you feel the deepest connection, but I'm sure there's some pull to learn more about your ancestry.

I mean, every year people get crazy talking about how Irish they are, even if they're several generations removed, but that's a St-Patrick's Day thing, so I don't know how pronounced that attachment is the other 364 days of the year.

I'm given to understand that's part of the Australian reproductive cycle, no? Like, two weeks later, a dozen mini-Hlaalus would've burst out of the dingos' chests and instinctively sought out the Outback to photosynthesize until they've matured to the point they can make their way back to civilization.

My mother is an immigrant, so if she'd gone to Australia, I guess that'd have made her a double-immigrant. Though I'm not sure how seriously this was being considered. I know my dad mentioned it to me a few times when I was a kid (at the time, I thought it would have been really cool to grow up in Australia).

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 09-14-2017, 12:44 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post
Oh, so you've landed a job as celebrity security personnel?

I'm glad to see you move up in the world, chasing your dreams. Good on ya, Pokers.
No, just on the internet. Those dumb people are cowards in real life.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:10 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
What's eating you?

Quote:
My mother is an immigrant, so if she'd gone to Australia, I guess that'd have made her a double-immigrant. Though I'm not sure how seriously this was being considered. I know my dad mentioned it to me a few times when I was a kid (at the time, I thought it would have been really cool to grow up in Australia).
There was no real risk of my having been born somewhere else. I've mentioned before I'm several generations removed from any other country, but near as I can tell, neither of my parents have ever expressed any interest in even working overseas. Might go a while to explain why I've always been such a homebody.

Something I've been trying to shake, but ech.

Tags
realspace, spam thread 3.1