Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Fan Works

Old 08-09-2017, 07:16 AM

Problemsolver

Howsabout something like this?

Old 08-15-2017, 08:12 PM

World Builder

Alright, Anansi and Ethenil, rather than making two or three line posts scattered throughout the day, please each outline your view of the contention between you on how the thing with the dragon roosts and such ought to be handled

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 08-16-2017, 08:28 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Alright, Anansi and Ethenil, rather than making two or three line posts scattered throughout the day, please each outline your view of the contention between you on how the thing with the dragon roosts and such ought to be handled
First of all, I'm sorry that I've been such an asshole about this. I don't really have the right to unilaterally shut down Ethy's ideas, and I suppose I've recently been kind of a huge dick.

So I'll try again, without the bullshit.

My concern is the distance between the world tree and the seal of binding on Not-Jormungandr. I've attached an image detailing the shortest route between the two regions I figure he'll need to occupy (discounting global curvature, I'm afraid).

Name:  distance.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  43.4 KB

That's a really long way to go. Remember that Solthris is huge, and Gruthar alone is slightly larger than North America. So let me provide a more detailed account of my concerns:

- If Njardhir and his brood had to travel that distance when they first were dispatched against Jormungandr, it would have taken them a long time, like possibly even more than a month, to get there.

- Depending on how sudden the Dragonfall was, he'd also maybe take up to a month to get back to safety once it started.

- He'd have to travel the entire distance back again once the seal broke at Arteanu, which would probably just mean that everyone died before he got there. Humans usually can't breathe underwater for more than an hour or two, and that's when there isn't a giant snake demon battering at the walls of reality a shadow's breadth away.

- He wouldn't even be able to communicate with his masters once he got back to the other side of the world, unless you gave him some kind of magic walkie-talkie, which would further trivialize the distance between tree and seal. I don't think we can, in good faith, trivialize such a vast distance.

I know there are other problems I can't think of off the top of my head, but I really don't see why any of these have to be problems, because I don't see why Njardhir has to come from Njorthos.

The solution I propose is simply to move your culture of Not-Aesir-worshiping vrykul, complete with their 'world tree' constellation of otherworldly gates, to a land mass closer to Arteanu. This would solve pretty much everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:43 PM

Arch-Druid

Just to note that at no point did I feel offended or upset, everything's fine

For the Nvordrakkr fighting not-Jormungand, any modern geography is irrelevant since the world was being heaved and remade all the time back then, and the gods were unleashing their power almost directly upon the world.

Anyway, what I had in mind originally was that he had magically appeared to the west and simply gone to Arteanu, maybe even appeared over Arteanu in the first place, because of, well, magic. His communication with his master(s) would be in a shrine or temple or something.

Nonetheless, I recognize the point you're making, so I ask a very important question: how further east does east become west?
Old 08-16-2017, 12:59 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post

Nonetheless, I recognize the point you're making, so I ask a very important question: how further east does east become west?
...You mean where's the Prime Meridian?

My Worldbuilding:
Old 08-16-2017, 07:14 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
...You mean where's the Prime Meridian?
I want to know how close Njorthos is to Xaxalin on the other side.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:41 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
I want to know how close Njorthos is to Xaxalin on the other side.
I don't think we have the distances nailed down for that just yet.

I think the best way to reconcile this is that

1. After the Dragonfall, Njardhir didn't think mortals could mess with the seal. And if anyone did mess with it, he had 'alarm' spells that would notify him.

2. Maybe there were false-alarms over the years with previous casters messing with it but it was never anything serious, but when Haxmana and his casters started prying at it (a few weeks/whatever time period is necessary PRIOR to the sinking), Njardhir started making his way to Arteanu at top speed.

3. Despite hurrying, Njardhir arrived amidst the last days of the war and witnesses Haxmana and his casters folly.

4. Njardhir patched the seal and turned the humans to merfolk*.

5. Njardhir worked with dragons in the region to continue mending the seal and crafted a magic device/temple that allows sporadic communication with the deity, but it only works "When The Stars Are Right" a few times a year, and as a result he only rarely returns to Njorthos and instead stays at a roost near the seal most of the time.

6. Njardhir mysteriously disappears.

*It's up for debate whether you want this to be a big spell cast all at once that turned every man woman and child into merfolk, or if the continent sinking took place over the course of a few hours/days and there was any kind of a 'choice' offered or what, and how the newly formed merfolk survived the sinking and magic catastrophe involved.

Thoughts?

My Worldbuilding:

Tags
collaboration, creative, worldbuilding