Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 08-06-2011, 10:48 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Heroism Guild Wars 2

US RP Server: Tarnished Coast
EU RP Server: Piken Square

Guild is Scrolls of Lore
You can freely server transfer at the moment, and guilds are cross-server.

RP Site(For those interested) is http://www.guildwars2roleplayers.com.

ArenaNet Real ID Stuff:
Slywyn: Illushia.3721
Exxile87: TheExxile.8729
Garothar: greyhame.6428
Genesis: Genesis.8572
Killchrono: Killchrono.1329
Leviathon: leviathonlx.2437
Lon-ami: Lonami.2987
Nozdormu: Nozdormu.8052
Oblivion: danishobc.3618
Volkrin: Volkrin.9765
Zeus: Lyvefire.6327
Cosmeticmelon: BestialBerserker.4918
Grimtale: Grimspell.8304
Nazja: Vista.7842
Ardeiute: Ardeiute.9013
Reignac: Reign.7314
Ferlion: Ferlion.4039
Lowtide: allmartyrs.3976
Magistrix Verande: Malice.8439
Euphemiasomethinglibrary: Euphemiatyranda.9258

Last edited by Shaman; 03-20-2015 at 09:23 AM..
Old 08-06-2011, 11:08 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

I have not played the first Guild Wars but Guild Wars 2 looks fan-fucking-tastic judging from some of the videos I've seen of it.

Right now though I am on the fence about dumping WoW for it, I am so great at playing WoW as it is and I've invested a lot of time into it. What Guild Wars 2 needs to have for me to jump ship is to have an awesome combat system, a smooth UI, great gameplay, and Lore that doesn't get shit over by game mechanics.

And if it does have all of those? Well you can bet I'll dump WoW for it, regardless if it has a small playerbase atfirst. (Which most assuredly it might not, since it's free-to-play)

What race would I play first if I played Guild Wars 2? Definitely either a Charr Warrior or a Charr Engineer, followed by a Human Necromancer and Sylvari Ranger once I get better at the game.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:21 PM

Elune

Quote:
What Guild Wars 2 needs to have for me to jump ship is to have an awesome combat system, a smooth UI, great gameplay, and Lore that doesn't get shit over by game mechanics.
From what I've seen playing GW1, the combat system is really really awesome.

The energy regen can be a problem at times, but each profession usually has a way to fix or get around it.

The UI is pretty minimal but what's there is useful. I have no idea if there's any addons or not.

The lore's pretty awesome, and the 'world' is instanced, so you're the only one affecting the story. The story takes precedence over the game at every chance it gets, but never at any detriment to the overall story.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:41 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

I can't say I'm terribly informed on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 08-06-2011, 11:48 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Falarson#1968

I'll try it for sure, and I'm not a MMO person. I hope Blizzard learns a couple of things from it (if it really met its expectations anyway).

RIP Ronnie James Dio (1942 - 2010)

Long live Rock n' Roll!
Old 08-07-2011, 02:57 AM

Arch-Druid

i'll probably try it. i still occasionally fire up my gw1, and own shit with assassin or dervish.
the only thing i disliked with gw1 was that it was too pvp-oriented, and click-to-move system. also, instanced world was kinda annoying aswell. now, all of that is fixed, and the game overall looks really awesome.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:40 PM

Arch-Druid
Location: A big point of nothing in space and time (i.e. Brisbane, Australia)

It's looking very promising. The world looks beautiful and dynamic. Can't comment on the gameplay until I try it, but I'm interested in the ditching of the tank/DPS/healer trifecta.

I think if anything, WoW and other MMO's could learn something from the presentation. It's the first MMO I've seen which has impressed me by in-game footage alone, which is saying a lot. More developers need to step up the mark on that level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killchrono View Post
Shut up and get in the bag, new guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dithon1 View Post
At least people notice me now. ;-;
Old 08-07-2011, 02:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

I both get why they're ditching healers but at the same time, some people lay healers because they genuinely like that playstyle. It'll be leaving those people out in the dark.

Quote:
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 08-07-2011, 02:49 PM

Arch-Druid
Location: A big point of nothing in space and time (i.e. Brisbane, Australia)

As long as I can sword and board, I'll be a happy chappy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killchrono View Post
Shut up and get in the bag, new guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dithon1 View Post
At least people notice me now. ;-;
Old 08-07-2011, 02:55 PM

I'm sure there's a GW2 video that showcases these things that you people are excited about. ANyone care to point me towards it?

Quote:
Old 08-07-2011, 04:42 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
I both get why they're ditching healers but at the same time, some people lay healers because they genuinely like that playstyle. It'll be leaving those people out in the dark.
Every class has some form of self heal now, and most of tanking is actually AVOIDING damage, or negating or mitigating it somehow.

If you stand in front of a boss and 'tank' it, you will die.

Quickly.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:02 PM

What I'm saying is that some people like the experience of healing others. Its a different experience from DPS and those who prefer Healing to DPS will be left out.

Quote:
Old 08-07-2011, 05:35 PM

Site Staff - News
BattleTag: Greyhame#1747

I follow it. It's on the "keep an eye on" radar, but it's not one I'm waiting for to be released. I'll probably try it when it's released.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:13 PM

Elune

Quote:
What I'm saying is that some people like the experience of healing others. Its a different experience from DPS and those who prefer Healing to DPS will be left out.
They have support classes that apparently do much of the same thing.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:02 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
I can't say I'm terribly informed on it.
Here's their wiki.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Main_Page

Tomorrow (later today) we will see the first images of the re-designed Sylvari.

Last edited by Leviathon; 08-08-2011 at 01:03 AM..
Old 08-08-2011, 01:01 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
Here's their wiki.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Main_Page

Tomorrow (later today?) we will see the first images of the re-designed Sylvari.
Cooool.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:40 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Lyvef1re#1109

I've been watching Guild Wars 2 ever since a friend recommended it. Game looks extremely solid, although I wish there were a few more races available. (I want to play a Hylek damn it!)

The lack of raiding worries me a bit regarding sustainability though, having never played a game without that mainstay of the genre.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:43 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
It's still available. For example, you could customize your elementalist to provide more of a support role as a healer.

Quote:
I'm sure there's a GW2 video that showcases these things that you people are excited about. ANyone care to point me towards it?
Here's an entire thread of video links.

As a dedicated lore-enthusiast of Azeroth, I am seriously considering permanently ditching WoW for Guild Wars 2. Here's what I wrote elsewhere:
Quote:
To echo similar thoughts, I can't be spoiled by something I never had. I have only played two MMOs in my life: World of Warcraft and Guild Wars. I enjoyed Guild Wars when I bought it as it unsurprisingly reminded me of a nice blend between WoW and Diablo. But I was unable to get into it since I was not able to really find a community and also I'm a Blizzard games addict. I'm a fan of Warcraft, Starcraft, and Diablo. It's hard to turn that switch off when I have played every Warcraft game since Warcraft: Orcs vs. Humans. I have played WoW off-and-on since launch. I still love Warcraft, Azeroth, and all of its lore and history, and the good and the bad of those lore decisions. But lore alone cannot cut it anymore. The game has evolved over time, but it has been nowhere near fast enough. (I also realized that I liked Warcraft better as an RTS game.) As someone who liked the first Guild Wars but was unable to get into it for the aforementioned reasons, Guild Wars 2 has always been on my radar. And I have been loving most everything I have read so far about it. I seriously have not been this excited to try out a game since the original World of Warcraft.

The Guild Wars 2 development process has highlighted many of the weak points of WoW, and similar MMOs, that I either ignored, dismissed, or did not even realize was a problem. Whether I have been "enlightened" or "indoctrinated" into the Guild Wars 2 mindset is hard to say, but I find it increasingly harder to justify a subscription fee for an outdated gaming model. I'm sick of the Holy Trinity. I'm sick of waiting around for a dedicated tank or healer, or having to be the dedicated tank or healer who gets blamed for failures. I'm sick of being forced to mostly stare at my UI and not what I'm doing in game, which is very little. I'm sick of most fights involving me standing in place as my opponent and I just whack each other until one of us falls dead. I'm sick of having to calculate and adjust stats on gear just so I can play the game. I'm sick of people complaining about loot, and I'm sick of loot ninjas. I'm sick that my questing never achieves anything "real" in the game. I'm sick of static and unchanging worlds and areas that will be the same in 6 years as they were yesterday. I'm sick of being sent to collect 10 animal parts from mobs standing neatly in a field and having to kill 30 before the required 10 livers drop. I'm sick of daily questing that force me to do the same quest over and over again day after day just so I can experience endgame content. I'm sick of a million-and-one pop culture references super-saturating every quest and NPC in the game. I'm sick of having the bare minimum of character customization options. I'm sick of false promises made by developers of what they will implement that never see the light of day. And I'm absolute sick and tired of two factions filled with some of the whiniest fanwanking faction fanboys and crybabies who will take any and every to opportunity to complain about what the other faction gets or does that they didn't.

No, Guild Wars 2 did not spoil me, but it raised my expectations about what a MMO should be. And if Guild Wars 2 delivers on those expectations, then I will be spoiled. And I doubt that I will be looking back until I see any shred of evidence that Blizzard can get with the times. I will still love Azeroth, but I certainly do not need to play the game anymore to do so.

Last edited by Genesis; 08-08-2011 at 01:46 AM..
Old 08-08-2011, 01:59 AM

I guess I'm just... not tired of those things. I'll admit I enjoy a nice grind every now and then. At one point when level I just decided to kill naga for like three level because I thought was fun. That's probably old habits from Runescape.

Quote:
Old 08-08-2011, 02:04 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Here are two other nice videos that provide a nice glimpse into Guild Wars 2:
* Top 10 Reasons to be Interested in Guild Wars 2
* 10 Little Things to Like About Guild Wars 2
Old 08-08-2011, 07:11 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
I've been watching Guild Wars 2 ever since a friend recommended it. Game looks extremely solid, although I wish there were a few more races available. (I want to play a Hylek damn it!)

The lack of raiding worries me a bit regarding sustainability though, having never played a game without that mainstay of the genre.
Their version of raiding seems to be world bosses that scale in difficulty level the more people are there, or hardmode dungeons that do the same thing.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:38 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Wait. GW2 doesn't have a subscription fee?
Old 08-08-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrise View Post
Wait. GW2 doesn't have a subscription fee?
I believe that's the plan. Its one of GW1'S big selling points, after all.

Quote:
Old 08-08-2011, 11:26 AM

Guru of Gilneas

And someone else posted this on GuildWars2Guru:
Quote:
1.Casting while moving.
2.Dodging attacks and projectiles with a double tap in a direction, no RNG combat.
3.No autoattack.
4.Toggling a shield stance to block projectiles from hitting you and people behind you.
5.Limited skillbar forcing you to choose your weapons, skills and traits tactically before combat.
6.No strict holy trinity. Players can adopt a control, support or dps role based on what the group needs.
7.Players can switch roles in combat assuming they've planned ahead.
8.There is no tanking, taunt, or additional threat. Mobs don't just trade hits with the tank, they try to kill the squishes like you think they should.
9.No ally targeted abilities. Watch the screen, not the life bars.
10.Going to zero health puts you in a downed state instead of dying. Killing an enemy rallies you to your feet.
11.Or any profession can revive you at any time, mid combat.
12.Very minimal death penalty. Knowing you failed is penalty enough.
13.Instant travel to anyplace you've been before for a small fee, or between any major city for free.
14.Dynamic events which replace quests, chain into one another, have consequences, and scale players down to their level, allowing for repeating all open world content.
15.No mounts, especially no flying mounts, as they remove a sense of scale and danger from the world.
16.Each player gets an entire section of town as their personal instance.
17.Each player has a personal storyline that changes based on choices made at character creation.
18.Your personal story also has permanent consequences in your home instance based on choices you make in game.
19.Choices you make affect your character's personality, which affects how NPCs react to you.
20.Dungeons have four paths, the first is a story mode which is separate from your personal story.
21.The unlockable explorable mode of dungeons shows the consequences of the story mode.
22.Explorable mode has three paths that players can vote on which they do.
23.There are random and/or discoverable events inside each dungeon.
24.World is entirely PVE, designed to prevent griefing entirely.
25.Day/night cycle which can affect your weapon's stats/proc.
26.You don't need to group, you always get experience and loot for helping kill a mob.
27.Open world raid encounters with no limit on the number of people who can take part. (60+ in demos)
28.Everybody has every gathering profession, no waiting for someone else.
29.Everybody gets a shot at each gathering node.
30.Crafting won't be a repetitious grind and features discoverable recipes.
31.Cross profession combos (elementalist fire wall + ranger arrows = profit). Supposed to be 100 of them.
32.Hidden events in the world to reward explorers.
33.No breath meter when going underwater, everybody has a mask.
34.Weapons change to underwater weapons. You can't swing a sword underwater, so use a trident instead.
35.Your skills change to underwater skills that make sense. Fire magic might boil water instead.
36.Underwater skills can use the z-axis, like sinking your enemy.
37.Weapon skills affect your play. Bow and gun aren't the same. For warriors bow is AOE, gun is single target.
38.Three faction PVP, played against other servers. The matches are two weeks long. No limit to the number of participants.
39.Win/loss standings are kept and used to match you up next time against servers of equal strength.
40.Winning server gets some kind of server-wide PVE buff.
41.Five to six minigames per capital city (bar brawl, shooting gallery, keg basketball)
42.Flat leveling curve designed to eliminate grinding.
43.Environmental weapons that change your skill bar when you pick them up.
44.Thieves can steal environmental weapons from enemies and use them (steal feathers to blind mob for example)
45.400 dye colors. Each piece of armor has three independent color sections.
46.No endgame raiding. Best stat gear comparatively easy to get. There will be optional grinds for vanity.
47.Focus is on replayability, either through story or leveling through events that weren't running last time.
48.Only four stats, so Power affects melee, ranged and spell power. Pick up a bow for the first time and use it.
49.Everytime you run a dungeon you get a token for a piece of armor, no grinding out dungeons.
50.You can see what your friends are doing in game from your iPad and send them messages.
51.Translatable fictional languages, because, you know, why not.
52.Your personality gives you different options, like ferocious people can punch an NPC in the face to end the conversation.
53.No dwarves, no elves. Plant people. Cat people. Underwater seal people who hulk out when in danger. Rats with a hive mind. Buddhist polar bears. Play any class with any race.
54.Add your own music to ingame playlist which reverts to game music during cinematic.
55.And no monthly fee.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:34 AM

Eternal

You know, this just looks better and better. I was thoroughly excited for Diablo 3 (and still am), but I'm liking the looks of Guild Wars 2. Never got into the original that much, sadly. Was too firmly entrenched in my Blood Elf warlock at the time.

Last edited by Vexander; 08-08-2011 at 11:37 AM..

Tags
eye of kilrog, greatest game ever, horribly grindy leveling, mmo