Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you hate Taran Zhu?
Yes 21 42.00%
No 23 46.00%
Lorewalker Cho is my husbando 6 12.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-15-2013, 03:47 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Falarson#1968

Default Can someone explain me why everyone hates Taran Zhu?

I see almost no one liking this guy. I felt him since the moment I saw him coming down of that Onyx Wind Serpent in Jade Forest.

Not gonna write down my thoughts on him. Instead, I have this post from MMO-Champion I want to quote because it sums up what I think about him.

Quote:
I liked him because his story. I couldn't stand Cho and his ceaseless need to tell me stories. Taran at least said "Fuck this" and got on with stuff. I think what alot of people are missing is that the Sha have never manifested with such power in the past. The Shado-Pan were created and trained to deal with any Sha manifestations following Emperor Shao Hao's imprisonment of the Sha beneath Pandaria, to this end they were trained to block out their emotions when fighting so that they didn't cause more Sha to manifest while fighting the Sha or the Mantid. It's like lifting weights, you train to the point where you want to get so that you can maintain that level of strength and then all of a sudden some guy comes along and adds some 4-5x more then what you usually lift and suddenly you can't do anything. That's essentially what happened to the Shado-Pan in Pandaria; They fight the Mantid every 100 years, the Mantid came early. They fight off Mogu remnants, who seemingly banded together under Xin the Weaponmaster and then under Lei Shen, at the same time as the Mantid attacked earlier than expected. And during all this, 2 factions land on Pandaria's shores waging a war with uncontrolled emotions. Cue the Sha being empowered to a point where the Shado-Pan have never been trained to fight them.

As a result of seeing either faction succumb to Doubt within the first couple of quests, Taran immediately is concerned that they are going to cause damage. He even says that while you might not cause the damage, it's what you bring that will. Fast forward to Valley and the Mantis are swarming a decade early. Fast forward again to Kun-Lai and Anduin is petitioning Xuen to let everyone into the Vale. Taran, having seen how the Outsiders failed to handle their emotions, protests against this and becomes increasingly emotional. He goes back to the Monastery and becomes possessed by Hatred, which overcame him thanks to his own emotions, fair enough. Though would he have been overcome if Hatred wasn't empowered by the Outsider's immense hatred for one another? Maybe, it certainly didn't help.

Cue Townlong, where he acknowledges that he should have done more and that while he still doesn't trust the Outsiders, he at least knows you are trustworthy and an able ally. As a result, he travels with you and Taoshi around the zone chasing Hatred.

Roll on Isle of Thunder and here we see he is willing to work with the Horde and the Alliance, as the Shado-Pan are an elite troop but are not suited to fighting large-scale open warfare. As to be expected, they're few in number but even the best fighters are beaten by numbers. Events end with Taran Zhu dealing with Shan Bu while the Horde and the Alliance hold back some reinforcements. He takes a serious wound to the gut and turns around to deal with the bickering Sunreavers and Kirin Tor.

Out of respect to the Horde who helped the Shado-Pan against the Thunder King, he does not order the Shado-Pan to assassinate the largely civilian populations of the Shrine of Two Moons, though he warns the Horde that they have until the end of the season to deal with Garrosh. A fair point, when you consider that Taran first opposed entry to the Vale to begin with, even before his possession, and was vindicated by seeing the Horde desecrate the sacred vale in their pursuit of powerful artifacts. It was only Dezco talking him down by explaining that the majority of the Shrine's residents were innocent and that Garrosh doesn't speak for them.

Cue SoI cinematic and you have a lone Shado-Pan fighting against arguably one of the most powerful Warriors in our time. Bear in mind he took a near lethal injury at the hands of Shan-Bu only months before and still puts up a fight against Garrosh.

I struggle to see why people think he's merely a hypocrite or just a weak character. He's arguably had the best story in Pandaria.
Now I wanna hear why do you guys hate him so much. Is it because you can't handle people telling you're being a dick and should stop? I can't understand it at all.

RIP Ronnie James Dio (1942 - 2010)

Long live Rock n' Roll!

Last edited by Falarson; 11-15-2013 at 03:50 PM..
Old 11-15-2013, 03:56 PM

Elune

Lorewalker Cho is my husbando.

I love Zhu. He's honestly my favorite character in MoP, counting both old and newly introduced ones. Chen and Cho were close seconds though.
The only people I've seen hate Zhu (and I mean truly hate, not just disliking him) seem to be people who hate any neutral character to begin with.

It's one thing to have problems and voice your concerns, but when you endlessly bitch day in and day out about the same tired old shit, it honestly makes me wonder why you are even here. Generally when somebody doesn't like something, they stop caring about it.

And on that note, SoL is a forum I no longer enjoy. So, I'm done here. And I genuinely think the people who have absolutely nothing at all positive to say about the game and, the people whose posts are composed entirely of whining, really consider leaving (or at least sticking to non-WoW sections). Because if you truly get no enjoyment out of WoW, then why are you here?

With that said, goodbye.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:03 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

I don't hate him, just don't care for him.

Same ol' naggy neutral dude. Not my favorite type of characters, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignac View Post
The only people I've seen hate Zhu (and I mean truly hate, not just disliking him) seem to be people who hate any neutral character to begin with.
Why is it so bad to not like neutral characters and be genuinely annoyed by them?

Last edited by Lord Grimtale; 11-15-2013 at 04:07 PM..
Old 11-15-2013, 04:22 PM

Arch-Druid

Do you mean Game Zhu or Book Zhu?
Old 11-15-2013, 04:24 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayze View Post
Do you mean Game Zhu or Book Zhu?
They're the same character, really. Different situations, but still the same person. I hate when you guys do this

Long live Rock n' Roll!
Old 11-15-2013, 04:25 PM

Elune

Because he spent the entire expansion treating the Alliance and Horde as morally equivalent and had learned absolutely nothing by the end of the expansion despite his racism causing him to get possessed by the Sha of Hatred.
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies� strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night� live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:26 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
Why is it so bad to not like neutral characters and be genuinely annoyed by them?
I didn't say it was a bad thing. I was just pointing out that from what I've seen people who don't like him don't like neutral characters in general.

It's one thing to have problems and voice your concerns, but when you endlessly bitch day in and day out about the same tired old shit, it honestly makes me wonder why you are even here. Generally when somebody doesn't like something, they stop caring about it.

And on that note, SoL is a forum I no longer enjoy. So, I'm done here. And I genuinely think the people who have absolutely nothing at all positive to say about the game and, the people whose posts are composed entirely of whining, really consider leaving (or at least sticking to non-WoW sections). Because if you truly get no enjoyment out of WoW, then why are you here?

With that said, goodbye.

Last edited by Reignac; 11-15-2013 at 04:29 PM..
Old 11-15-2013, 04:29 PM

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

I like him, but I often disagree with him.

(which is fine - we can disagree with good characters)

I didn't care for his weak attempt at neutrality - Garrosh's Horde was clearly the aggressor in Pandaria, but he treated the Alliance like they were poison as well, when it would have made more sense to concede that the full might of the Shado Pan should have been allied with the Alliance to thwart the threat.

But I also get that this doesn't work for gameplay purposes.

I also didn't care for his selfish assumption that Garrosh hurt Pandaria worse than anyone else. That's ignorant - but I accept it for gameplay purposes, with the premise that this is a dude who has spent his life on a wall defending his homeland. He SHOULD be biased in that regard.

So, in short, he's a good character whose bad decisions don't really bother me that much.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:29 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Because he spent the entire expansion treating the Alliance and Horde as morally equivalent and had learned absolutely nothing by the end of the expansion despite his racism causing him to get possessed by the Sha of Hatred.
For all he cares, they're strangers on his homeland. He can treat them as he pleases since they both are ruining his lawn.

I don't really think he cares about the sides. I'm with him on the "Everyone get off my property, now" attitude, because Alliance did some ugly shit there too.

Long live Rock n' Roll!
Old 11-15-2013, 04:33 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:
I didn't say it was a bad thing. I was just pointing out that from what I've seen people who don't like him don't like neutral characters in general.
Yes, but do you think it? It was also a question in response to the thread since that's the feeling I'm getting.

Honestly though, I'm starting to think this whole Taran Zhu fiasco is why I wish Blizzard had just went with a South Seas expansion instead of MoP.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:34 PM

Eternal

His constant finger-wagging annoyed me.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:03 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
Yes, but do you think it? It was also a question in response to the thread since that's the feeling I'm getting.
It's not an opinion I agree with, I've never hidden that I much prefer neutral stories to the factions, but I would never say someone is wrong for thinking that or that it's a "bad" opinion. It's just one I disagree on.

With that said, goodbye.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:04 PM

Site Staff - Admin

I hate that Blizzard seems to have changed their mind about killing Taran Zhu sometime after the production of the SoO trailer because he looked pretty darn dead after Garrosh was through with him.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:21 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falarson View Post
For all he cares, they're strangers on his homeland. He can treat them as he pleases since they both are ruining his lawn.
"People who are not like us and are not from around here are inherently bad." Yeah that's a real respectable viewpoint that makes me like him more.

Quote:
I don't really think he cares about the sides. I'm with him on the "Everyone get off my property, now" attitude, because Alliance did some ugly shit there too.
He should care about the sides because one of them is there to paint his beloved continent red and the other is there to stop the other from painting his beloved continent red.

Alliance players don't like him because he's constantly bitching them out while the Alliance fights and dies to protect his furry ingrate ass.
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies� strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night� live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:27 PM

Echo of the Past

Well... it is sort of his fault that this timey wimey Iron Horde expansion is happening at all.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:30 PM

World Builder

Runes

I understand why he acts the way he does but "Neutral guy who blames the alliance for fighting the Horde and lumps them in with all 'outsiders' who are bad" is dumb.

Pretty much the Alliance's only goal was to stop the Horde from screwing up Pandaria so having him be just as pissed at them as he is at the people who actively damage and plunder the continent is nonsensical and annoying.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 11-15-2013, 05:34 PM

Elune

Quote:
Well... it is sort of his fault that this timey wimey Iron Horde expansion is happening at all.
Varian was the one who saved Garrosh's life, not Taran Zhu.

And honestly, who could have ever predicted Garrosh going back in time? No one would expect that.

With that said, goodbye.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:35 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Pfff, Varian is judge jury and executioner. Garrosh would've been found guilty and executed by skull-caved-in before they left Orgrimmar.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:40 PM

Elune

A grumpy veteran whose homeland is invaded by two world superpowers, which minimizes the chance of him being in charge. And you wonder why he's pissed all the time. And don't forget what Shaohao said, that pride plagued the Pandaren since forever.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:40 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:

And honestly, who could have ever predicted Garrosh going back in time? No one would expect that.
Varian wanted to kill him, though. Taran was the one that wanted Garrosh to stand trial.

Tbh, Thrall should have allowed Varian to end it, before Taran had the chance to tell 'em his plan. It's one of Thrall's biggest faults. He'll never hand orcs over to the humans, no matter the crimes they may have committed.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:41 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Venom

Quote:
No one would expect that.
There's a reason for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:43 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
There's a reason for that.
Because its chief weapon is surprise, surprise and fear, fear and surprise?
Old 11-15-2013, 05:54 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Venom

Quote:
Because its chief weapon is surprise, surprise and fear, fear and surprise?
Okay, two weapons. Fear AND surprise and ruthless efficiency.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:13 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
Pretty much the Alliance's only goal was to stop the Horde from screwing up Pandaria
I might have missed something since I never did Alliance quests in Pandaria, but as far as I know the Alliance wasn't concerned about Pandaria at all. They were there fighting a war with the Horde like always.

Seriously, where it is stated the Alliance actually fights FOR Pandaria?

Long live Rock n' Roll!
Old 11-15-2013, 06:15 PM

Elune

Thrall saw it coming which is why he wanted to kill Garrosh. He knows all.

Tags
holier-than-thou, isn't taran zhu dead?, pandaren, taran zhu must die, taran zhu or taran poo?