Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft RTS Discussion

Old 11-29-2015, 12:22 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

You might as well remake the whole game if you're going to do a graphics update.

Plus those games don't actually look bad tbh. WC3 holds up really well.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:03 PM

Dryad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldrius View Post
Though I agree the art doesn't look better overall. There's also a lot of other new gameplay mechanics, the races have a more distinct gameplay feel.
Yeah, that was pretty nice. I disliked the armor system though.

Quote:
That's something I'd like to see adapted into WC1/2 if they redid them. Instead of Orcs and Humans just being mirror images of one another with different art -- make them two distinct races.
The funny thing is that despite being in so many aspects mirror images of each other, the two races were quite unbalanced - orcs had severe advantages due to the strength of bloodlusted ogres. The human paladins had healing, but it was too expensive (6 mana per HP healed) to compensate.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
You might as well remake the whole game if you're going to do a graphics update.

Plus those games don't actually look bad tbh. WC3 holds up really well.
Still, I do wonder what's the deal with this:

I am handclaw and this is my favorite thread on Scrolls of Lore!... oh wait, nope... Just another bitching thread.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:20 PM

Elune

Shadow Orb

I think Warcraft 3 looks really bad.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:30 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrettin View Post
The funny thing is that despite being in so many aspects mirror images of each other, the two races were quite unbalanced - orcs had severe advantages due to the strength of bloodlusted ogres. The human paladins had healing, but it was too expensive (6 mana per HP healed) to compensate.
Only in WC2, not in 1.

And while that may make them unbalanced, that doesn't give the two races a totally distinct feel. The way say, Night Elves have a totally different feel from Orcs in WC3. (Honestly I think WC3 didn't go far ENOUGH in this regard)

Quote:
I think Warcraft 3 looks really bad.
It's more visually cohesive than SC2 is I think.

Quote:
Still, I do wonder what's the deal with this:
I... don't know. He's animated better than that in WC3 I think.

Quote:
Yeah, that was pretty nice. I disliked the armor system though.
I like it conceptually, and certainly in Frozen Throne it was massively improved over Reign of Chaos. But I don't think it's always been used very well. Some units naturally have an advantage over others just because of design, they don't need a damage bonus. (Huntresses over grunts for example, just because they're faster, have a bounce attack and range makes them naturally good counters to anything slow that bunches up with melee damage)

Last edited by Aldrius; 11-30-2015 at 03:32 PM..
Old 12-01-2015, 03:08 AM

Dryad

Quote:
Only in WC2, not in 1.

And while that may make them unbalanced, that doesn't give the two races a totally distinct feel. The way say, Night Elves have a totally different feel from Orcs in WC3. (Honestly I think WC3 didn't go far ENOUGH in this regard)
Yes, I agree. Even considering the unit rooster in WC2, there are some obvious things that could have been made more different. The ogres, for instance, could have been slower than the knights but have some other advantage (greater HP or damage). Dragons could have been stronger but costlier than gryphon riders, etc.

Quote:
It's more visually cohesive than SC2 is I think.
You think so? SC2 looks quite good to me; the feeling I get from WC3 is that the technology wasn't quite there yet to make a 3D game, but they went ahead and did so anyway.

Quote:
I... don't know. He's animated better than that in WC3 I think.
Yeah, I think so too. The animations in WC3 were good, the main issue with the graphics is the quality of the textures, and the lack of normal maps and the like.

Quote:
I like it conceptually, and certainly in Frozen Throne it was massively improved over Reign of Chaos. But I don't think it's always been used very well. Some units naturally have an advantage over others just because of design, they don't need a damage bonus. (Huntresses over grunts for example, just because they're faster, have a bounce attack and range makes them naturally good counters to anything slow that bunches up with melee damage)
I think it was done better in SC2, with ad-hoc bonuses against certain sorts of units. It felt more fluid to me.
Old 12-01-2015, 01:48 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

SC2's system bugs me because they're way too dependent on it. Yes it's simple, and very transparent and that's good. But it's just so prominent in a way the armor/damage system wasn't in SC1 or WC3.

The damage bonuses in WC3 aren't quite as pronounced and the relationship between units is usually a bit more complex (plus heroes can act as a sort of stop gap between them). Like Dryads have an advantage over Raiders despite Raiders having a damage bonus against them.

SC2 just resulted in everyone using the generic units as much as possible (unless you're harassing worker lines) and creating giant death balls. SC and WC3 didn't have death ball game play like that so much.

Hell, in WC3 sometimes pro players would be microing each individual unit against the enemies every individual unit.

Even SC1's was a little more intuitive in that you at least had some medium units, and the only really strong generic attack units were marines, hydralisks, zerglings, zealots, mutalisks and ultralisks. Everything else had some exploitable weakness that didn't feel too much like a super hard counter. (Zerglings beat dragoons, but in large numbers and with skill, dragoons could do well against zerglings).

WC3's system wasn't transparent enough sometimes, but I think the damage system in TFT (Not RoC, RoC's is kind of stupid) worked really well.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:00 PM

Priestess of the Moon

I'm wondering why they bothered making the upressed units in the SC2 editor, namely the heroes and a bunch of random demon units. It's possible that they're outsourcing the model upressing for a potential remake, but then this Illidan gif doesn't make sense either because it's using Heroes assets.

If they do a remake, I'd much rather they go all out with Heroes quality models rather than go that midway point with slightly upressed WC3 models. Our systems can handle the polycounts and numbers considering MOBA's practically hit that point with all the minions on field at a time.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:19 AM

Elune

Shadow Orb

Any news on that?