Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Halls of Lordaeron

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 04-25-2013, 06:16 PM
Slowpokeking Slowpokeking is offline

Not Sure If Trolling...
Slowpokeking's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 8,985

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirnheim View Post
Considering I've been thrown down here for making joke posts, I don't think the moderators are too...well, useful right now. Many of them just wantonly ban for "whining" if someone even makes one negative feedback post in the up-world.
What is the mods' duty? I think it's to keep the forum healthy interesting and fun.

So they need to balance everything well, when to involve and use which method, warning or banning. It's indeed quite hard.

I remember a few people mentioned Levi, I think his problem is not how he used his power, but he usually tries to being asshole when he used his power. It's better to talk with as emotionless as possible when the mod uses his power to avoid problem.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 04-25-2013, 06:17 PM
Leviathon Leviathon is offline

Elune
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 21,434
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirnheim View Post
Considering I've been thrown down here for making joke posts, I don't think the moderators are too...well, useful right now. Many of them just wantonly ban for "whining" if someone even makes one negative feedback post in the up-world.
Moderator's cannot modify users.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 04-25-2013, 07:20 PM
Kyalin Raintree Kyalin Raintree is offline

Arch-Druid
Kyalin Raintree's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,088

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
Moderator's cannot modify users.
If you can't modify statuses, why were you in my thread acting as though you had done precisely that?
__________________
"Fools rush in, so here I am - awfully glad to be unhappy!"
-The Mamas and the Papas
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 04-25-2013, 07:20 PM
Porimlys Porimlys is offline
Porimlys's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 9,977
BattleTag: CptCarrot #1688

Default

I'm wondering if the site upgrades might make it possible to put mods on ignore?

Generally speaking I think a lot of Mod behavior could be improved (far too many cases of blatant harassment), but at the same time I don't think it's fair to make mods be unable to partake in whatever conversation is going on. They should be able to speak their minds and their opinions, but conversely, we posters should be able to choose not to view what they say. If there is anyway to add a feature where a mod can make a special mod post that CANNOT be ignored for Stickies, warnings, and whatever PSAs they need to make while having their normal posts be able to be treated like any other posters, that would be fantastic. If that's not possible, maybe we need to be more strict about whether or not mods can partake in some of the more contentious topics of conversation. Or at least be more strict about their behavior while in those discussions.

I would also like to mention that I am really not into the idea of Halls of Lordaeron. Just because it worked for the Pandaren doesn't mean we should make our silly little April fools joke into an actual feature.
__________________

Last edited by Porimlys; 04-25-2013 at 07:27 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 04-25-2013, 07:22 PM
Leviathon Leviathon is offline

Elune
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 21,434
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyalin Raintree View Post
If you can't modify statuses, why were you in my thread acting as though you had done precisely that?
Well it's not like I can't go and post a user in the admin forum and give a reason why the user should be changed. Though to be fair I wouldn't make it last as long as it has and would prefer if we got rid of this forum and I could just do the 24 hour suspensions again.

Last edited by Leviathon; 04-25-2013 at 07:25 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 04-25-2013, 07:27 PM
C9H20 C9H20 is offline

Elune
C9H20's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,052

Default

Frankly I feel the moderators and Admins are far too lenient. They should drop the hammer more often, and be uncompromising and united in purpose when they do so.
Which is why I support the re-banning of Slowpoke even though I like him as a guy. It is a matter of principle.

That said I agree with the good Baron that punishments need to be layered. Lordaeron is not the be all end all of disciplinary action.

-Assings should be dealt out as serious warnings and to remind annoying, unconstructive, malicious or overly obstinate posters that they are walking on thin ice.

-Those who make a heavier transgression or are persistent in above behaviors should be sent to Lordaeron.

-If repeated holidays in Lordaeron prove insufficient then a short term ban is in order, the bans should increase in time for repeat offenders. Permaban is to only be used in extreme circumstances (serious real life threats, crazy or purposefully and continuously obstinate posters, serious issues of RL prejudice...).

-Repeat offenders should be punished more severely than people with a clean slate (there should be levels to this as well, of course).

In short, you have the power so use it.


PS. I'd also say there is a lot of sandy s here. A mod banning you for 5 mins for the lulz or changing the name of the thread is not such a big deal if the guy/gal is okay with it. No one needs an attorney here, so unless you personally have been wronged than just chillax, it may not have been funny to you but no one went and slapped you IRL either.

To give examples (fictional) , it is NOT okay to change a thread title to "Xil and Fojar's Loveboat" when Fojar has repeatedly said he is not comfortable with that. While it is okay to ban Nazja (or me) for five mins to make a joke since he will probably laugh at it too.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 04-25-2013, 07:31 PM
Leviathon Leviathon is offline

Elune
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 21,434
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Default

I don't like assing/Lordaeron since it relies on us posting something in the admin forum and then a day later punishment is finally done when one of the admins get to it. It's far better to just be able to rely on the suspensions. This could be built upon when we get the new forums and we could just use an infraction system like most other sites. That way it's all nice and documented and someone can't say they weren't given 20 warnings.

Last edited by Leviathon; 04-25-2013 at 07:34 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 04-25-2013, 07:32 PM
Slowpokeking Slowpokeking is offline

Not Sure If Trolling...
Slowpokeking's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 8,985

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
Well it's not like I can't go and post a user in the admin forum and give a reason why the user should be changed. Though to be fair I wouldn't make it last as long as it has and would prefer if we got rid of this forum and I could just do the 24 hour suspensions again.
What is the 24 hour suspension?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 04-25-2013, 07:33 PM
C9H20 C9H20 is offline

Elune
C9H20's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,052

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
I don't like assing/Lordaeron since it relies on us posting something in the admin forum and then a day later punishment is finally done when one of the admins get to it. It's far better to just be able to rely on the suspensions. This could be built upon when we get the new forums and can just use an infraction system like most other sites. That way it's all nice and documented and someone can say they weren't given 20 warnings.
I don't think anyone would mind a short suspension until and assing or transfer to Lordaeron could be initiated by an Admin.

It is crude but it is a limitation of the forum itself and we do what we can with it.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 04-25-2013, 07:34 PM
Eterna Eterna is offline

Arch-Druid
Eterna's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,295

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
I'm wondering if the site upgrades might make it possible to put mods on ignore?

Generally speaking I think a lot of Mod behavior could be improved (far too many cases of blatant harassment), but at the same time I don't think it's fair to make mods be unable to partake in whatever conversation is going on. They should be able to speak their minds and their opinions, but conversely, we posters should be able to choose not to view what they say. If there is anyway to add a feature where a mod can make a special mod post that CANNOT be ignored for Stickies, warnings, and whatever PSAs they need to make while having their normal posts be able to be treated like any other posters, that would be fantastic. If that's not possible, maybe we need to be more strict about whether or not mods can partake in some of the more contentious topics of conversation. Or at least be more strict about their behavior while in those discussions.

I would also like to mention that I am really not into the idea of Halls of Lordaeron. Just because it worked for the Pandaren doesn't mean we should make our silly little April fools joke into an actual feature.
Being able to put mods on ignore would just invalidate their purpose.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 04-25-2013, 07:34 PM
Leviathon Leviathon is offline

Elune
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 21,434
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eterna View Post
Being able to put mods on ignore would just invalidate their purpose.
Well in his case it's more admins who have very vocal opinions about certain things or personalities that make me look like a Saint.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 04-25-2013, 07:35 PM
Slowpokeking Slowpokeking is offline

Not Sure If Trolling...
Slowpokeking's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 8,985

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Frankly I feel the moderators and Admins are far too lenient. They should drop the hammer more often, and be uncompromising and united in purpose when they do so.

Which is why I support the re-banning of Slowpoke even though I like him as a guy. It is a matter of principle.

That said I agree with the good Baron that punishments need to be layered. Lordaeron is not the be all end all of disciplinary action.

-Assings should be dealt out as serious warnings and to remind annoying, unconstructive, malicious or overly obstinate posters that they are walking on thin ice.

-Those who make a heavier transgression or are persistent in above behaviors should be sent to Lordaeron.
If you want harsh moves, that's fine, but that has to follow the rule, otherwise it could easily become power abuse.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 04-25-2013, 07:36 PM
Kyalin Raintree Kyalin Raintree is offline

Arch-Druid
Kyalin Raintree's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,088

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
I don't like assing/Lordaeron since it relies on us posting something in the admin forum and then a day later punishment is finally done when one of the admins get to it. It's far better to just be able to rely on the suspensions. This could be built upon when we get the new forums and we could just use an infraction system like most other sites. That way it's all nice and documented and someone can say they weren't given 20 warnings.
One would suffice.
__________________
"Fools rush in, so here I am - awfully glad to be unhappy!"
-The Mamas and the Papas
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 04-25-2013, 07:38 PM
Porimlys Porimlys is offline
Porimlys's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 9,977
BattleTag: CptCarrot #1688

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eterna View Post
Being able to put mods on ignore would just invalidate their purpose.
That's why I'm saying - if it's at all possible - that they should be able to make un-ignorable posts for mod purposes, but their posts where they are just being part of the community and part of the discussion should be ignorable like everyone elses. Our mods are not shy to post like everyone else, and that's fine, but it becomes aggravating when they cannot be ignored like everyone else.

I'm just wondering if such a thing is feasible with site upgrades.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 04-25-2013, 07:39 PM
Eterna Eterna is offline

Arch-Druid
Eterna's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,295

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
Well in his case it's more admins who have very vocal opinions about certain things or personalities that make me look like a Saint.
Putting someone on ignore because you disagree with them seems rather petty, surely he has a better reason.

Quote:
That's why I'm saying - if it's at all possible - that they should be able to make un-ignorable posts for mod purposes, but their posts where they are just being part of the community and part of the discussion should be ignorable like everyone elses. Our mods are not shy to post like everyone else, and that's fine, but it becomes aggravating when they cannot be ignored like everyone else.

I'm just wondering if such a thing is feasible with site upgrades.
Isn't that true of most sites though? You can't put mods on ignore. I don't think the solution is making mods ignorable, it's in making mods accountable and placing higher standards on their behaviour.

I don't think you wan't to put people on ignore for their opinions, you wan't to put them on ignore because of the way in which they express their opinions.

What this site has now isn't working, I'd even say it's toxic. We have a group of people, mods included, who aren't subjected to the stricter rules of other public forums. People are constantly insulting one another without any form of punishment (At least that I've seen). The standards for behaviour on this site are abysmal.

This site really just needs the mods and admins to set forth a set of rules in which both they are the community are expected to follow, they must also of course enforce these rules. Our behaviour needs to be mandated, as it stands right now we have too much freedom.

Last edited by Eterna; 04-25-2013 at 07:58 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 04-25-2013, 07:43 PM
Slowpokeking Slowpokeking is offline

Not Sure If Trolling...
Slowpokeking's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 8,985

Default

I do think this forum is too easy on abusive behaviors, but I'm afraid having such power and harsh rules to enforce, the mods/admins have to speak and show up much less to avoid controversies since once they use their power, it's going to be very serious.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 04-25-2013, 07:45 PM
Porimlys Porimlys is offline
Porimlys's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 9,977
BattleTag: CptCarrot #1688

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eterna View Post
Putting someone on ignore because you disagree with them seems rather petty, surely he has a better reason.
Nonsense! Shutting out sources of negativity in your life is a good thing! Not a perfect analogy, but if someone is on the phone saying shitty things you don't want or need to hear, you'd hang up right? Some opinions can be very triggering and if they don't incite a rage post, they might get you riled up in real life. Why not be able to avoid that frustration, however minor a frustration it might be? If you don't want to see what they post, you should be able to block it, it's as simple as that. What better reason do you need?

I like this forum and I like this community but I think it benefits everyone to be able to pick and choose whose contributions you want to be readily visible. Again, posts that are specific to moderating (stickies, warnings, PSAs, etc) should be always visible.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 04-25-2013, 07:51 PM
Slowpokeking Slowpokeking is offline

Not Sure If Trolling...
Slowpokeking's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 8,985

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
Nonsense! Shutting out sources of negativity in your life is a good thing! Not a perfect analogy, but if someone is on the phone saying shitty things you don't want or need to hear, you'd hang up right? Some opinions can be very triggering and if they don't incite a rage post, they might get you riled up in real life. Why not be able to avoid that frustration, however minor a frustration it might be? If you don't want to see what they post, you should be able to block it, it's as simple as that. What better reason do you need?

I like this forum and I like this community but I think it benefits everyone to be able to pick and choose whose contributions you want to be readily visible.
I don't think ignore is needed unless this person is keep using abusive language on you.

Otherwise, even if they are some dicks, they could still say something right. Disagreeing with someone about everything they said would make a person do dumb things, such as saying Kingpin is not a Spider Man villain when Marvel's website said something else.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 04-25-2013, 07:55 PM
Eterna Eterna is offline

Arch-Druid
Eterna's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,295

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asafoetida View Post
I do think this forum is too easy on abusive behaviors, but I'm afraid having such power and harsh rules to enforce, the mods/admins have to speak and show up much less to avoid controversies since once they use their power, it's going to be very serious.
God forbid we show some respect for our fellow posters.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 04-25-2013, 08:12 PM
Arbourean Arbourean is offline

Priestess of the Moon
Arbourean's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 552

Default

Clearly defined and consistency in enforcement of rules and regulation. And off topic, but can we modify signature views so we can select which ones we don't want to see without having to ignore that poster?
__________________
"Be it so. This burning of widows is your custom; prepare the funeral pile. But my nation has also a custom. When men burn women alive we hang them, and confiscate all their property. My carpenters shall therefore erect gibbets on which to hang all concerned when the widow is consumed. Let us all act according to national customs."
Charles James Napier
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 04-25-2013, 08:47 PM
Euphemialibritannia Euphemialibritannia is offline

Hypersensitive
Euphemialibritannia's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,866

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyalin Raintree View Post
One would suffice.
But I like Timmy.
__________________
"Just the completely unfounded and irrational fear that one day *this* is going to happen!"
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 04-26-2013, 12:15 AM
Bolvar Bolvar is offline

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!
Bolvar's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Get off my lawn!
Posts: 19,898

Default

We started this thread because Archimedes whined about how his bitching got him sent to the place where bitchers go?

That's funny.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 04-26-2013, 12:16 AM
Slowpokeking Slowpokeking is offline

Not Sure If Trolling...
Slowpokeking's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 8,985

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
We started this thread because Archimedes whined about how his bitching got him sent to the place where bitchers go?

That's funny.
I don't want to give comments about your decision, but I think such a thread is nice, we can discuss about the whole relationship between the mods and posters.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 04-26-2013, 12:35 AM
CoDimus the Staunch CoDimus the Staunch is offline

Eternal
CoDimus the Staunch's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,572

Default

Archimedes got exiled to Halls of Lordaeron? What for?
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 04-26-2013, 12:42 AM
Yakitori Yakitori is offline

Arch-Druid
Yakitori's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 2,074

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call of duty 1 View Post
Archimedes got exiled to Halls of Lordaeron? What for?
I believe it was done in part because of his very vocal disagreement with the existence of the Halls of Lordaeron itself, combined with using it as a sort of "pasture" to keep SPK contained instead of just continuing with the process of banning him whenever he made a new alt. I'm sure there are other reasons, but this is what I have gathered thus far.
__________________
Disgruntled Forsaken Stable Master
"Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than hell itself... That is coffee."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.