Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft RTS Discussion

Old 03-13-2015, 10:58 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

Nice trailer, Egrem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron
There's more people who have heard about Legacy of the Void being standalone than know about the arcade being free. It could have been one of the many bullet points in the presentation, reminding the fanbase that this game is playable by anyone. They're even holding monetary prized mapping contests, but few people actually even know this stuff is even happening.

But I'm just bitter whenever I see people who still don't realize the arcade is free. Don't mind a grumpy old man.
I didn't know that LotV was a stand-alone... :<

But I guess I'm more just foncused overall; what's all this about "arcade"? I get that they have the game broken into 3 "installments" (WoL, HotS, LotV), and I know I can get a "starter edition" for free through Battle.net, but I don't know all that that entails.
...Triumvirate has it right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Triumvirate; you weird.
Welcome to the club. Have a drink on the house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
I like this guy.
If you're interested in creating custom factions & heroes in Warcraft 3, I mod that over at The Hive Workshop (Also at Wc3C.net).

My primary Project Thread:
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads...ehere_.303712/
Old 03-13-2015, 10:54 PM

Banished

wawawawait. So you can play stuff like the SC1 remakes and stuff like that for free?
Old 03-14-2015, 12:57 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
SC2 arcade is already F2P. The fact that so many people still believe you need to buy SC2 to play the custom arcade is an absolute failure on Blizzard's marketting.
My point is that the arcade is inside SC2, and it should be the other way around.

They could advertise it better then. With the so many F2P players they have it wouldn't be hard to slap a banner in the client or some shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenyaArikado View Post
wawawawait. So you can play stuff like the SC1 remakes and stuff like that for free?
Since months ago.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 03-14-2015, 01:44 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Kalontas#2949

What about assets or other stuff from expansions? I remember in SC1 when you put in a unit or a map tileset from Brood War, you wouldn't load it in a game without Brood War. Can you, in SC2 Arcade, just load stuff with parts from Swarm (and in the future, from Legacy) for free?
Old 03-15-2015, 03:56 PM

Priestess of the Moon

The only pay aspect of SC2 is the campaigns and access to campaign assets for map making. Otherwise, multiplayer and custom map play is all free. You don't need Heart of the Swarm to access Heart of the Swarm assets when playing, only if you're a map maker.

So when you buy LOTV, you're buying the campaign only. The standalone thing only means you don't need SC2/Heart of the Swarm to play Legacy of the Void. You can jump into that campaign straight up from buying it.

So if you don't care anything about the campaigns (Which you can watch on youtube/twitch anyways), SC2 in all its multiplayer glory is F2P.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:08 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Eregos#2913

I don't consider it too poor marketing they advertised it to death way back when it launched and it comes up often on the Sc2 part of the Battle.net client. The likes of IGN etc even reviewed it a second time giving it even more press outside of Blizzard with a ton of streamers getting on board.

Run
Old 03-16-2015, 07:12 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

Quote:
The only pay aspect of SC2 is the campaigns and access to campaign assets for map making. Otherwise, multiplayer and custom map play is all free. You don't need Heart of the Swarm to access Heart of the Swarm assets when playing, only if you're a map maker.

So when you buy LOTV, you're buying the campaign only. The standalone thing only means you don't need SC2/Heart of the Swarm to play Legacy of the Void. You can jump into that campaign straight up from buying it.

So if you don't care anything about the campaigns (Which you can watch on youtube/twitch anyways), SC2 in all its multiplayer glory is F2P.
Dang. Well it's a shame all I care about is the campaign. :<

But thanks for the info.
...Triumvirate has it right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Triumvirate; you weird.
Welcome to the club. Have a drink on the house.
Quote:
I like this guy.
If you're interested in creating custom factions & heroes in Warcraft 3, I mod that over at The Hive Workshop (Also at Wc3C.net).

My primary Project Thread:
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads...ehere_.303712/
Old 03-16-2015, 09:08 AM

Banished

i wouldnt be surprised if there are illegal bypasses. There werent went i downloaded it but that was before the arcade i think.

Is there any maps out there like the map with Niadra infesting the protoss? i love that thing.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:01 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Kalontas#2949

Quote:

The map making is exactly what I was thinking of. I want to know if I decided to try the WC3-inside-SC2 mapmaking, if I won't run into roadblocks in the shape of "can't use that trigger because it's HotS only". Because I can't really afford to shell out cash for games right now.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:58 AM

Banished

i cant play Mass Recall uninstalling this shit.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:21 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xarthat View Post
The map making is exactly what I was thinking of. I want to know if I decided to try the WC3-inside-SC2 mapmaking, if I won't run into roadblocks in the shape of "can't use that trigger because it's HotS only". Because I can't really afford to shell out cash for games right now.
Triggers won't get affected, they're part of the editor. You will simply not have access to Heart of the Swarm campaign assets if you don't have the expansion.

Last edited by Triceron; 03-21-2015 at 09:24 AM..
Old 03-28-2015, 04:28 PM

Critter

Is Starcraft good game? Do I own Stracraft 2 to play warcraft hd or get free
Old 03-28-2015, 04:33 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xhara View Post
Is Starcraft good game? Do I own Stracraft 2 to play warcraft hd or get free
Starcraft is good game. Stracraft 2 is abomination.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:36 PM

Critter

Quote:
Starcraft is good game. Stracraft 2 is abomination.
So Starcraft can do warcraft hd models? Stracraft is a abomination= Stiches strong abomination? i confuse help me does blizzart accept leu or just american dolla?

I will talk later, got to go.

Last edited by Xhara; 03-28-2015 at 04:38 PM..
Old 03-29-2015, 08:13 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xhara View Post
So Starcraft can do warcraft hd models? Stracraft is a abomination= Stiches strong abomination? i confuse help me does blizzart accept leu or just american dolla?

I will talk later, got to go.
In Europe, Blizzard accepts the euro, British pound, and ruble. You will need to use one of those currencies to purchase Starcraft or Starcraft II.

Starcraft cannot do HD models, but Starcraft II can. The most recent patch for Starcraft II contains all of the regular assets for Warcraft III, as well as some assets that have been updated to HD.

Hope that helps.

Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:03 PM

Eternal

Default sorry for the bump

Dudes like Triceron and Ujimasa Hojo might be able to answer this more effectively, but is there any other solution to how trees work in SC2 that doesn't require Blizzard to basically do custom coding to support them?

Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix

Old 04-11-2015, 05:55 AM

Dryad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post
Dudes like Triceron and Ujimasa Hojo might be able to answer this more effectively, but is there any other solution to how trees work in SC2 that doesn't require Blizzard to basically do custom coding to support them?
What's the issue with how trees work in SC2?
Old 04-11-2015, 06:23 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post
Sorry but I don't have, play, or mod in SC2.

The SoL Bunch:

Warcraft 3 Resource Discussion: (The Hive Workshop, Warcraft 3 Campaigns)
MOBA Overload!
Old 04-11-2015, 02:37 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrettin View Post
They're pretty lame, at least last time I used them, and I don't think they could have changed.

You're required to make instances of each effect, each model, and each everything involved in something. And duplicating ruins everything. Whereas in Warcraft III the object editor was super easy to use.

It's too complicated, and for no real use. It needs a "dumb mode" urgently, so that you don't have to lose so much time doing a simple change.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 04-12-2015, 01:58 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrettin View Post
Essentially this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee
@tok: The performance issue is because SC2's engine lack the support for WC3 style trees.

In SC2, mineral nodes are not standalone type, and they are actually units, just like a marine. Normally, sc2 map has less than 100 mineral nodes, so that's not a big problem.

And if you get 500 mineral nodes in the same place, your fps would become 0.

While it comes to War3, each maps would have 5,000-10,000 harvestable trees. That means you have a melee map with 10000 units on the map every single time.

I have did many optimization to make the game to be able to reach 50 fps. Any future optimization would require blizzard engine support. (If I cut down the number of trees, and increase the resource amount of each tree, it would break balance, which war3 fans may get angry XD). Hope there can be some official engine support in the future.
Source: http://us.battle.net/arcade/en/blog/...-mod-3-27-2015

Old 04-12-2015, 07:45 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
They're pretty lame, at least last time I used them, and I don't think they could have changed.

You're required to make instances of each effect, each model, and each everything involved in something. And duplicating ruins everything. Whereas in Warcraft III the object editor was super easy to use.

It's too complicated, and for no real use. It needs a "dumb mode" urgently, so that you don't have to lose so much time doing a simple change.
And here I thought you were talking about technology trees, and not actual trees.

And yeah, looks like a huge fuck up.

Also, don't forget about the cliff limitations. Cliffs were pretty important in W3 for damage reduction and whatever, here they don't have anything like that, and also, W3 had 11+ cliff levels, while SC2 has only 3, and one of them is aesthetic and useless, like W3 water before TFT.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:57 PM

Banished

when was the dark ranger model added?

Old 08-22-2015, 09:18 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Also, don't forget about the cliff limitations. Cliffs were pretty important in W3 for damage reduction and whatever, here they don't have anything like that, and also, W3 had 11+ cliff levels, while SC2 has only 3, and one of them is aesthetic and useless, like W3 water before TFT.
You can't see up cliffs, though. Which you can in WC3.

Honestly, WC3/SC1's mechanic of '% chance to miss when shooting up a cliff' was a little too arbitrary for my tastes.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenyaArikado View Post
when was the dark ranger model added?
You mean in SC2?

It came out with the other WC3HD models. It was even in my overview screenshots.

I am handclaw and this is my favorite thread on Scrolls of Lore!... oh wait, nope... Just another bitching thread.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:29 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Quote:
Originally Posted by handclaw View Post
You mean in SC2?

It came out with the other WC3HD models. It was even in my overview screenshots.
Are there any custom games out there that use the WC3 models?

Or anything that I can download that has the heroes pre assembled so I can tinker with them? putting everything together is too complex for me.

Tags
starcraft, warcraft iii