Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft RTS Discussion

Old 12-20-2015, 07:12 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Default If you could make a Warcraft 3 Expansion today

With 10+ years WoW lore, let's take a step back to the simpler, self-contained epics of Warcraft 3.

Let's say the Warcraft 3 HD project was fully under way, and with it came a new expansion with a new campaign set in the time before WoW, what would you like to see?

What new Heroes would you like to see for each faction? Units? What locations would you visit (doesn't have to be something we've seen in WoW).

I think it would be cool if there was a Caverns of Time based expansion that opened up some of the history of Azeroth. Participate in the original War of the Shifting Sands, fight alongside the Ancients during the Sundering, or even battle the Legion alongside Aegwynn and the Council of Tirisfal. I think the RTS is a perfect way to show off some epic battles the way they're meant to be experienced.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:04 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
I think it would be cool if there was a Caverns of Time based expansion that opened up some of the history of Azeroth. Participate in the original War of the Shifting Sands, fight alongside the Ancients during the Sundering, or even battle the Legion alongside Aegwynn and the Council of Tirisfal.
I like these, except that Aegwynn's activities don't seem to be very RTSy. It was a secret war involving few people.

And if we're going to make an RTS there's no need to use the Caverns of Time, since we don't have a character that needs to travel to the past. We can just make a game set in the past.
Old 12-25-2015, 01:53 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

I think Cataclysm would have made a fairly cool War3-style expansion. Hero-wise I actually sort of proposed what I'd like to have seen in my WarCraft 4 theory-crafting.
Old 12-25-2015, 04:20 PM

Eternal

It would be warcraft 4.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:57 PM

Eternal

I've always wanted to see the escapades of Rend and Maim Blackhand given some attention. With the introduction of the Dark Iron dwarves in Blackrock Mountain, there's essentially a huge non-Alliance faction for the Horde to have been fighting against since the First War.

Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:15 AM

World Builder

Does it have to lead into wow? Because frankly I'd like to say Fuck WoW and have it be expansion into the great seas.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 12-28-2015, 04:57 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Does it have to lead into wow? Because frankly I'd like to say Fuck WoW and have it be expansion into the great seas.
What kinda epic are you thinking of that takes place in the great seas?

Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:44 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post
What kinda epic are you thinking of that takes place in the great seas?

Prologue: Playable Naga amping up to work with the Old gods and take advantage of the weakness of the mortal races in the aftermath of Hyjal and TFT's battles to conquer the surface. Mostly fight Night Elf forces out at sea that are trying to stop the naga from causing trouble, as well as some scourge forces in the northern seas.

Campaign 1: Horde is settling the seas to support its growing nation. Interacts with human stragglers, orc stragglers, Zandalar, and Kezan, while fighting off the Naga and old gods, bigger focus for them on the Old gods and some of the elemental implications of their return. Tauren and trolls get some backstory while the orcs do some proper soul searching. Some goblins join the Horde but not all. A better written Baine along with Vol'jin, Rokhan, Gazlowe, Rexxar, and Thrall would be the heroes over the course of the campaign.

Campaign 2: Jaina's sending out a small expedition to figure out what the status of the EK is, works to some extent with the Nelfs and horde but mostly deals with political difficulties between Theramoore, Kul'tiras, and Gilneas. Naga and scourge are present, fighting both Jaina and each other, but are more in the background compared to the human political intrigue, sort of like the anvil hanging over everyone's heads that Jaina is trying to get folks to focus on. Other heroes would be a dwarf ambassador, an elf ambassador, Jaina's brother who's in charge of Kul'tiras whose name escapes me, and a character from gilneas, probably Genn or a "Liam" equivalent.

Campaign 3: Nelfs wrap it up by dealing with the Naga alongside orcs and humans, as well as facing their past and embracing their new more active role as part of the world and interacting with more than just its plants and animals. First part of the campaign is handled by the new head of the watchers, and a Keeper of the Grove who plays a variant of the Obi-Wan role for her, up until Malf and Tyrande pull big damn heroes partway through the campaign along with Thrall and Jaina's crews.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 12-29-2015, 01:42 PM

Elune

I'm loving the thought given to intrigue and what various factions are doing/want but it kinda seems to lack any major events, Sky.

It's like Naga pop up, mess with everyone, Scourge also messes with everyone but also does nothing of substance. Horde does some exploring and gains allies, humans talk and try to sort out their differences. The nelfs put down the naga, despite the former apparently achieving nothing of note. It's not... Warcraftish if that makes sense, it needs some bigger events, with lasting impact.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:54 PM

World Builder

Fair enough, though i do have aome other ideas for the meat of the campaigns i didn't want to type out too much last night

My Worldbuilding:
Old 12-29-2015, 10:10 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: CJFurious#1908

What about DLC campaigns?
Old 01-11-2016, 03:52 PM

Wisp

I hope you are aware of the mod for SC2 called Armies of Azeroth? If you have some ideas as well as a solution on how to add them without changing audio files, I suggested contacting with the modders.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:14 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldrius View Post
Hero-wise I actually sort of proposed what I'd like to have seen in my WarCraft 4 theory-crafting.
I was about to say that that half of the question has already been delved into hard-core by that other thread... But I realize that this is subtly different. Instead of a new game, imagine an expansion on the existing Wc3.

Once I realized that, the question became a lot more interesting. For starters, we friggin' need the other 3 Neutral Heroes; that's right, I'm talking the other Elemental Lords. It simply needs to happen. No matter that that would invalidate some of my best modding ideas/plans; make it so.

Past that... Eh. The nerdy kid in me who always wants "something new" would love to see a 5th Hero being added to each faction as well; the more-collected adult who sees balance as an issue screams 'NO!'. But hey, why should he have any fun?

If we were adding a 5th hero to each race, what would we be thinking of? I'm kinda prone to "filling in the gaps", as it were:

The Alliance has the ideal "2 from main race, 1 each from sub-races" ratio of Heroes, so it's a toss-up; add another Human, or imbalance the ratio? Thematically it could be any. However, in terms of Role, they *don't* have an Agility hero... And I've always felt the lack of Elven Rangers was a troublesome wound. So while I love me some Human Assassin/Thief/Bard stuff, or even better, DWARVES, I'd say Elven Ranger.

The Horde also has that same ideal ratio... A bit harder, though. I don't know what they are missing. TC is the meat shield, BM is a DPS/assassin, Far Seer & Shadow Hunter both serve caster roles (offensive & supportive, roughly). Thematically it would make sense to finally see an "Orcish Barbarian/Warlord" or summat. The Garona-inspired "Orcish Assassin" is totally not a bad idea... Thing is, though, I just love me some Trolls. A Trollish Warlord or something would be sick. Tauren's don't get enough love, and I could see something there... Hrm.

The Scourge is a little trickier; there are several schools of thought about whether the "main/sub-race" paradigm even applies to them. I'll go out on a limb and say we don't need any more Nerubians, though... One is enough to showcase the race. Demons are another matter; I personally don't prefer them, but they are part of it already (in the Dreadlord) & could ostensibly have more representation. I'll argue, though, that they wouldn't; they are meant as a subdued presence, merely overseers. That leaves either True Undead or Nearly Dead (i.e. Living or Cultist); either are great, thematically.
Role-tastically, Undead have 3 Str heroes & 1 Int; they really don't need another melee/Str guy. I'd say definitely Agi, and so perhaps some kind of "death walker" or other assassin-y thing... Or, if not an Elven Ranger for the Alliance, an Undead elven rang... (wow, I'm an idiot; Dark Ranger, anyone?). Tough. I suppose I could see a 2nd Int Hero in the form of a(n) (Grand) Apothecary; more Forsaken, I feel, but they *did* exist to construct the first Plague originally, so not completely out of whack.

The Sentinels... Same as above. In fact, worse than the Scourge, they are essentially a one-trick pony; if it's not an animal, it's a Night Elf. Moreover, they appear to have representation from most of the important angles in society; men & women, the army (Sentinels (PotM)), the government (jailers (Warden)), the magery (druids (Keeper of the Grove)), and even the random, not-representative-of-Night-Elf-culture-et-large "anti-demon demon dudes" (Demon Hunter).
Aside from some kind of crazy animal thing (another Druid), I'm not seeing it... Perhaps another actual NE male (but then what... another soldier? an artificer? a more refined beastmaster (i.e. animal handler)?
Role-wise, they don't have a Str hero, so something there wouldn't be amiss.

~~

Note, I've ignored filthy WoW lore; you could just as easily add a 5th racial hero & unit from WoW races, but that's silly.
...Triumvirate has it right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Triumvirate; you weird.
Welcome to the club. Have a drink on the house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
I like this guy.
If you're interested in creating custom factions & heroes in Warcraft 3, I mod that over at The Hive Workshop (Also at Wc3C.net).

My primary Project Thread:
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads...ehere_.303712/

Tags
fanwank, warcraft