Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Fan Works

Old 03-30-2007, 10:36 AM

Glaive Thrower

Default The Crusade

Hello, been reading these forums for a long time but first time I really felt like posting something. Little back story first, I like the scarlet crusade. In fact I love um. Now its always been my little thought that perhaps they had made their way to Northrend and set up bases. I know that makes little since at all but I liked it so much I decided to write up a little story for it. Right now its just a prologue but I wanted to see what people thought before I actually started writing it fully.

Here's hoping you like it

The moon gave little light that night, dark storm clouds riddled the sky as a torrential downpour of rain and hail came down upon the castles ramparts. Hundreds of men and women stood upon the walls with sullen faces; below them a mass of black had began to form. No light shown down onto the lifeless faces of the men below, empty sockets looked up at the defenders with spiteful anger. Bows with empty quivers hung at the defenders side, each had already spend enough arrows to stop a army in its tracks. The pile of bodies near the walls edge agreed. But even with every kill the defender scored another corpse rose to take its place.

Hector looked down at the mass of undead that had formed below them; he couldn't even see the snow anymore. What little ground he could see was stained with the blasted undead blackened blood. He looked back at the keep itself tucked securely behind the walls of the fortress. The banner of the Scarlet crusade still waved defiantly in the maelstrom of the storm and as long as it stood he and his men would fight to their dieing breath to keep the castle out of the litches hands. Below him he could hear the splintering of the front gates, soon the gates would give way and the defense would falter. It had been nearly a year of constant attack, no rest for the weary. His men hand fought and pushed them back with each assault, and they had paid the cost. Those undead below were no doubt bolstered by Crusaders that had fought to the death to protect the last bastion of hope in Northrend. Another ram from the two gigantic monstrosities resounded across the wall as the gates groaned. He motioned to his men to start heading down the court yard. Each one dropped he bow and quiver onto the ground and withdrew their sword and shields. In a matter of moments a defensive formation had been drawn, coming at a point near the front of the gate. Hector had positioned himself at the front, his sword gleamed with glee was it panted pictures of death and murder into Hectors mind. All that he could do was smiley grimly at the sword.

"I don't think I'll be walking away from this one. You'll have a new master soon enough, perhaps one that will feed your addiction more then I ever could."

The sword's deadly magic flickered brightly as the doors in front of them began to crumble. What ever magic possessed the sword was ready to kill, and it cared little what fell before it.

"FOR THE CRUSADE!" Hector roared, and his men roared along with him as the door broke way and the undead spilled forth into the courtyard. The Undead mass slammed into the shields of the scarlet crusaders with such unholy force that the formation almost broke. But no crusader would allow the vile creatures first blood. With vigor the shields were pushed back and swords lashed out slicing at the undead with righteous fury. Another wave met the same fate. Soon bodies began to pile up around the defense. But With each assault the defenders grew weaker, until finally a surge of undead broke though the ranks.

Hector was the first to drive forth into the undead mob. His blade hissed with glee as he swung it with all his might slicing one of the vile undead clean in half at the torso. Quick to react he brought his shield up to block an incoming blow, the metal rattled as it made contact with the end of a rusted war axe. His own blade forced itself into the battle, bringing its wrath to bare on the aggressor impaling itself into the undead face. The body crumbled as he retracted and swung again downing another undead. A Gruesome creature that may have at one time been a orc roared and threw its maggot ridden body at hector, who had barely enough time to bring his shield to bare against the orc before its mighty axe came crashing down on him. The shield buckled and gave way to the axes brutal swing. The end of the axe itself finding its way past Hectors chain mail armor and slicing into his flesh. He didn't even feel the blow however, his blade preventing him from slowing down, from dieing this fast. He threw his now broken shield aside and swung his sword with lighting speed into the orc's temple. It went deep, slicing clean into the creatures eyes. Hector kicked the limp body with disgust and looked for his next target. It was then that something stopped him, something prevented his body from continuing on. His sword roared into his mind demanding he continue, but he couldn't. As he looked down he knew why. The deadly end of a spear protruded forth from his plate armor.

He looked over his shoulder to see the grotesque image of a abomination smiling back at him, one of its massive arms holding the other end of the spear. His whole body felt weak, weaker then he had ever felt before. With a quick flick of its wrist the body of the crusader flew off its spear and slammed into a stone wall nearby. Hector looked around in his last moments of life to see his soldiers, both men and women fighting and dieing by undead hands. Both Terror and anger were panted onto their faces.

"Light, give me strength" He whispered hoarsely as the last vestiges of life left his body.

Last edited by DeathsAdvocate; 04-20-2007 at 06:42 AM..
Old 03-30-2007, 10:44 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Apophis#2440

That was very nice and interesting too.

I hope you will post more
Old 03-30-2007, 11:30 AM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

I love the Crusade too. Nice piece - they actually did make their way to Northrend, at least according to the armoury statues. However they failed, and as far as we can tell they were defeated there - unless they still have a base in Northrend that isn't doing much. Their headquarters are still in Stratholme at least.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:29 PM

Glaive Thrower

So I am not completely making stuff up Er I mean good <.<

how come I only notice spelling errors and such when I post them and not during any of my proof reads? *goes off to edit*
Old 04-03-2007, 07:53 AM

Glaive Thrower

second chapter is up, here ya go, hopefully not to boring. I like to write action more then plot developement

He seemed to float in a swirling vortex of his own subconscious. Neither being able to cross on to the great beyond or come back to the mortal plane. He seemed trapped in between each, his mind trapped within a prison of his own thought. He had died in battle, a good death to be sure, but death did not give him the peace it should. Fleeting glimpse's of the outside world sprang up around him, the burning of the keep. The killing of the wounded crusaders, the endless destruction. He saw the faces of his friends all around them, sharing the same fate as him. Lifeless vessels built to server the scourge. It sickened him to know his body was being used to help further the agenda of something he spend much of his life fighting.

Days turned to weeks, weeks to months and soon his visions of the outside world began to disappear completely until all that was left for him was the endless void of blackness. He felt a feeling of unending loneliness begin to consume him. He was alone inside his mind, nothing but his own sorrow to keep him company.

But...but there was something else in his mind. A hiss of excitement from somewhere in the darkness, something was here with him. The sword, his sword still lingered in his mind. It thirsted for blood, for battle and for death. He tied to push back its essence; away from him so he could spend the rest of time with is sorrow in solitude. He wished for a companion but the demon sword would not be it. Despite this it continued to persist in antagonizing him, letting him see the faces of the crusaders he himself had killed after his death. Torturing him with the sounds of their screams as he gutted them like animals.

Hector begged it to stop, to let him be but it would have none of it. Showing him what ever it could to anger and sadden him. No matter what he said or did the sword would not stop its onslaught. Soon he began to despise the sword, hate what it was doing to him and lashed out with his own anger. That seemed to give the sword even more joy as it showed him horrifying images with renewed vigor. Each image of a innocent dying only added to the hate Hector felt for the sword. Until finally he snapped, releasing all his anger at once out into the void, all the emotion he could into the darkness around him. In that moment he felt his mind ripped from its place and thrown asunder.

He opened his eyes for the first time in a very long while. At first he had no clue as to what was happened, where he was or what he was. He looked around him to see the frozen wastelands of Northrend, lifeless trees and cold white snow as far as he could see. He was in the forests near the Scarlet Rose, the fortress he was stationed in. He had enjoyed his walks out here before the siege.

"The Siege" The murmured and whipped around racing for the castle. Gate itself was more then a mile away, but surprisingly he didn't grow tired our out of breath. His mind did not tarry on this though, its sole thought was to get back to the Rose and help in any way he could. When he arrived at the gates he already knew something was wrong. The solid wooden doors had been smashed to pieces, its hinges barely holding on to anything at all. when he entered the castle walls it call came flooding back to him. The battles, the deaths, the crusaders last stand in the courtyard...his own death. He looked down at his chest to see the faded emblem of the crusade on his tabard;and the large hole punctured though it in the center of his chest where the spear had ripped its way though. He brought his hands to bare, to see the lifeless pale flesh on his bones. Tears would not come to him, his eyes were to old and rotten for tears to still be left for them to weep. He fell to his knees in disbelief of it all. Not him, this could not be happening to him. He sat there for hours, his mind racing for some grip of reality that it could latch onto. Hector began to remember his time in the void. How did he get out? How was he able to....

Hector looked down at his sword, still in its sheath. It hummed with content as he realized what had happened.

It didn't do what it did for Hector, not for pity or loyalty; it pulled him back into the world of the living for its own gluttonies need to kill. It had pulled him back into the mortal world so it could feed off his rage like a parasite.

Hector ripped the sword from his side and threw it as far away from him as he could. Disgusted by the sword, disgusted by himself and by what had happened. The sword hit the stone wall with a loud crack, and fell to the ground below and spoke to Hector no more.

And there hector sat for days, his mind numb to what was going around him. All that occupied his mind was that could he himself hand become the very thing he had fought for so long, become the very thing his friends and family died to stop.

Slowly, his mind began to form one continuing emotion.

Revenge.

He wanted revenge of the scourge for what they had done to him, to the Scarlet Rose and most importantly for what they had done to his homeland of Lordaeron. He looked over at the accursed blade, it sat patiently where he had thrown it waiting to be retrieved.

"You want blood? Fine, I'll drown you in it."

Last edited by DeathsAdvocate; 04-20-2007 at 06:45 AM..
Old 04-03-2007, 08:44 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Apophis#2440

More encore, encore ! although the him being dead thing suprised me.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:07 AM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

I love this. Gives a new point of view to things.

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:56 AM

Glaive Thrower

Thanks guys, I love it when people like my work as much as I love actually writing it =)