Old 04-20-2007, 02:07 PM

Elune

Orb of Fire The Rage

Quote:
The Rage, Intro
Pinerock Keep:

"This is Blasphemy! This is madness!"

"Madness? This is desperation!"

Baron Silverlane jumped backwards. Arugal was a tratheningly tall figure already, and swinging a burning staff around didn't help with that. Commander Springvale said: "I thought they teach you mages not to tamper with demons as the first thing in Dalaran."

Arugal shrugged and said: "Let the paladin stay in his area of expertise, while the mage handles his own. I'll tell you one last time that what I am trying to summon are not demons!"

Nobody seemed very convinced. Baron Silverlane checked out from the window, seeing the scourge forces treathening the keep far away in the woods. He coughed and said: "Pinerock Keep may not survive, but we can still escape to Gilneas if the situation gets that desperate. They can't ignore us, I have connections on the other side of the wall."

The guards' captain, Nigel de Mon, interrupted: "Even if we die, the whole world will know that here, in the battle of Pinerock Keep, few stood against many, free men stood against undead and those chosen by the light stood against those chosen by the darkness!"

Nobody even cared about the comment. Arugal watched at the ritual circle he had drawn in the ground, Springvale's hand fastened on the handle of his sword like he was ready to prevent the mage from doing anything hasty with force. He hadn't been sure about Arugal's motives ever since he had started reading that book (he gave it, laying in the table besides the ritual circle, a murderous gaze). It was probably one of those cursed books he had heard about, which made their readers get interested in whatever was written there.

He had kept a close eye on the mage for the past month, finding out about the demonic ritual circle in his office and alarming the baron, that was how everything had gotten to this.

After a small amount of silence, the baron said: "Arugal, you must understand. Even if the creatures you are going to summon aren't demonic, they could be hostile. I would be hostile if one of them would just pull me there without asking!"

Arugal raised his brows, it was clear he had never thought of that. He said: "We stand no chance against the scourge and I will not fail my masters in Dalaran. This is the only way to regain any chance of victory." His eyes rested on Springvale's for a moment, everyone knew he blamed the commander for their devastating losses against the scourge at the battle of Olsen's farthing two months ago.

The baron sighed and said: "Sorry, but this conversation is over. You will erase that ritual circle and leave to Dalaran to ask for more troops before the scourge is able to totally block our escape routes. We will take the residents of the village and leave to the Graymane Wall. I'll use my connections to get to Gilneas."

The two warriors both sighed (Springvale of happiness and de Mon or the frustration caused by escaping ) and the three men began to leave. As they arrived to the door, they heard a bubbling voice behind them, as if someone had suddenly put a cauldronful of water on fire. As they turned around, Arugal stood in the middle of the circle, waving his hands rhytmically and channeling magic energies.

Springvale reacted fastly, unseathing his sword and running towards the mage. He met an invisible wall of energy on the edge of the circle, however. Arugal smiled devilishly at him and began to pronounce a spell that sounded as unholy as the undead looked.

For about fifteen seconds, Springvale tried to push his way to stop the mage while Silverlane and de Mon stood there, dumbstruck and actionless. Then the spell came to a climax and the room exploded with a giant purple energy that blinded them all for some time.

When Springvale got up and regained his vision, he saw Arugal standing there. The mage was heaving and laughing silently and the floor and ceiling above and below him had burned severly, but there was no sign of any alien entities.

Arugal turned his eyes at the still armed paladin and asked: "You dare stand against the might of Arugal? My armies will be numerous enough to block your very flame of life!"

The commnader idly rubbed his eyes and replied: "I'll fight in the shade, if that's required. Besides, it seems your 'army' only has one soldier this far."

The mage laughed and clapped his hands together. Suddenly a being appeared in front of him. It was almost as large as an ogre, covered in thick fur, walked on two legs and had glowing red eyes, two giant claws and a mouth full of razorsharp teeth. Arugal yelled: "Behold! The Worgen!"

The wolf-man howled, making Springvale's ears hurt. He was completely paralyzed as the monster in front of him gave the longest howl he had ever heard. When it stopped, the howling did not end, but seemed to echo on and on. The beast itself struck the paladin in front of it down unceremonially and moved onwards to the kill.

The baron yelled in fear as his childhood friend was brutally murdered in front of his eyes. Arugal stepped onwards, smiled friendly and said: "Do not fear, I will not hurt you. Now that our little bastard of a commander is dead, the only ones the Worgen will fight are the Scourge. That ritual I completed allowed me to summon them on will. It created a permanent crack on the barriers of our world that follows me, allowing calling them."

Suddenly he turned around, a second pair of pawed feet had landed on his office floor. The first worgen was waving its hands in the air, creating disturbances in the air. A third furry creature appeared out of these abnormalities. Arugal was wordless, the two men behind him were trying to escape.

When the door opened up a bit, the beasts' attention suddenly turned at the two coweing men. With one giant leap, the first one of them, with still bloody claws, jumped on the body of baron Silverlane, killing him instantly. The guard captain did not even react before he too was dead. Arugal yelled: "NO! STOP!" But the beast did not care. It buried its mouth on the dead carcass of the baron, eating his flesh. Its fellow beasts imitated it, eating the two other corpses.

Arugal tried to order the worgen to stop, but they did not. He yelled them orders for the whole time they were eating the corpses, but it did not help. Finally there was nothing left of the corpses but some bones, clothes and armor. The worgen raised their blood-stained heads towards the mage, who was sure he would be next. But instead the rose and did some kind of a salute to him, bowing with their arms stretched.

Arugal did not understand, they considered him Master but did not take orders from him? His eyes wandered around the room and then hit a couple of elemental shacles on his table. As the worgen stood there, unmoving, he walked to the table and took one pair of shacles. They seemed like a perfect fit.

Arugal walked to the largest of the three worgen and put shacles on it. They fit perfectly. He ordered: "Umm... Sit?" The worgen sat. "Roll." The worgen rolled.

"Let me summon more of you so I can defeat the scourge." Was his third order, and that the Worgen did happily too.

Three hours later Arugal sat in his office, happy that he had once collected elemental shacles. He had counted them, and concluded that there were exactly fifty pairs, so he had summoned fifty worgen and shacled them all. Then he had ordered them to go destroy the scourge attack east.

For the last two and half hours, he had been searching for his shacle-making schematics and then reading them. The people of the castle could make him shacles, while he would take care of the summoning. "This day marks the birth of the greatest army in the history of Azeroth." He thought to himself.

A worgen opened the door. It was the one who had killed the baron, captain and commander. It was carrying the head of a necromancer. "Perfect." He said. Things were turning out better than he had thought. The residents of the castle were propably wondering about the beasts, he thought. The mage had given the order to all the worgen not to harm anyone inside the castle, but the people would still shun their barbaric bodies.

Arugal decided to go tell everyone not to worry. He walked down the steps and out from the tower. The castle courtyard would be filled with people, he imagined beforehand, most frightened, others puzzled and some awed. When he walked out from the door of the tower and looked down to the couryard, however, he saw hundreds of butchered people, some of which were being eaten by the worgen at the passing moment. Upon the sight, Arugal yelled in fear, he had sent a pack of murderous beasts to kill his fellow residents.

The leader of the worgen stepped next to Arugal, as if waiting for commands. The mage pushed his way past it, ran all the way back to his office and locked the door behind him. He collapsed to the corner and started to cry. This was never meant to go this way.

Every time he opened his eyes, the remains of the three dead people seemed to be screaming "Guilty" at him, so he just stayed at his own, eyes closed and trying to avoid the most of the guilt.

The leader of the worgen, named Nandros (though Arugal did not know) stepped inside Arugal's study half an hour later. It knew very well that the master was no longer shocked. It had met beings from this world earlier, and before long they would adjust to the situation and be overcome by their natural feeling of greed.

The master did not react to its presence. A weak master displeased it, but it needed a master of some sorts, so this had to do. It stood next to the wreck of a man, trying to figure out whether he was ready to become the true master of the moonrage yet. The man suddenly spoke in that same strange language as earlier:

"You can't kill me, right? Only I can return you back to your own world."

Nandros was silent, but the human was speaking the truth.

"Well, if you are here to stay, I quess I have to adopt you..."

The word "adopt" ringed around in the bloody study. Arugal rose up and dusted his robes.

"Collect your pack, we have work to do... Son of Arugal."

Nandros let out a glorious howl. This new master was picking up fastly.

On the way out, Arugal picked Springvale's former sword. He read its name, which was carved in the side, saying: "Shadowfang, eh?"
First of all: No, I am not quitting Redrock Isle. This is an idea I got today and decided to introduce. I am beginning the Fic itself after I'm done with Redrock Isle.

Second of all: The story itself will happen during WoW, shortly after Arugal's death.

Third of all: All readers of Redrock Isle, one character from that fic is returning back to this one. If you have read the fic, send me a PM telling which characters you would like to see in this one.

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.

Last edited by Kerrah; 09-23-2007 at 05:39 AM..
Old 04-21-2007, 04:52 AM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

Pretty cool, I liked the 300 references. Though it's a shame you're going to knock off Arugal.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:17 AM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

Here are some "concept sketches" as a reason to bump this thread back up.

[edit: Pictures removed.]

And on a related note, here's a really cool Worgen Picture I found in Blizzard Fan Art:

I would also like to tell Flamestrider and Timolas, the only two people who I'm sure to have read Redrock Isle any farther than the first chapter, to hurry up with finishing it so I get to know which character from it to bring back into this one.

I'm currently writing an Intro Part Two, which will propably be up soon.

Last edited by Kerrah; 05-29-2007 at 06:40 AM..
Old 05-17-2007, 11:42 AM

Eternal

I also read your entire Redrock Isle fic and I thought it was good, although s little clichéd. I don't have time to read this one right now but (Taekwondo practice in ten minutes) but I'll read it when I get home.

If this fic about Arugal and the Worgen, it must be good, as the mysterious evil wolfmen are one of my favorite races of Warcraft
Old 05-17-2007, 11:49 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfang View Post
I also read your entire Redrock Isle fic and I thought it was good, although s little clichéd. I don't have time to read this one right now but (Taekwondo practice in ten minutes) but I'll read it when I get home.

If this fic about Arugal and the Worgen, it must be good, as the mysterious evil wolfmen are one of my favorite races of Warcraft
Please tell me which character you would most want to see return to this one from Redrock Isle.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:03 PM

Arch-Druid

Alright, I finished Redrock, and I think Eliza Ashbank would work the best.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:32 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamestrider View Post
Alright, I finished Redrock, and I think Eliza Ashbank would work the best.
Thanks. I have to admit she'd have a good reason to be in Silverpine.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:28 PM

Mountain Giant

Interesting. I look forward to more. I don't have any complaints really besides minor things ("fastly" isn't a word, and so forth). The 300 references were kind of cool, though I still need to see that movie and so some of the force is lost on me. So yeah. Keep it up.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:48 AM

Elune

I've been writing the second part of the Intro (which will tell of Arugal's death) for the past couple of days, but I've been writing some other stuff as well and been quite low on innovation.

I've got the main plot figured out though, and I assure you, it's both epic and imaginative.

edit: I hereby announce the Fic to having been begun:

Quote:
The Rage, Chapter One,
Shadowfang Keep:

A giant yowl echoed trough the study room of Shadowfang Keep as Commander Silkstep plunged her two daggers into the neck of the giant worg in the middle of the room. And so Fenrus the Devourer collapsed to the floor with a large thud. The members of the strike team lowered their weapons and the cleric started healing a badly wounded one.

Kra'Osha turned to the door that the worg had been guarding, it was blocked by giant metal bars. Her imp, R'khis, muttered something about a wasted trip under its breath. She didn't care, but asked the forsaken behind her: "What do you think we need to open this door?"

Nobody answered because nobody knew. The warlock rolled her eyes.

Suddenly she noticed a blue book on the shelves surrounding the study. She forgot the bars blocking their way for a moment and instead walked to the book. Somehow it was clearly diffrent from the others surrounding it. She stretched her hand to grab it.

"WHO DARES INTERFERE WITH THE SONS OF ARUGAL?" The master of the Keep yelled.

Half an hour earlier Arugal had been sitting on his desk, writing something on a letter. Though he had advised his majordomo not to interrupt, Nandos appeared behind him and let out a voice that was the worgen equaliant for an attention-seeking cough. The mage lay down his quill and turned towards the worgen. He did not even ask what it was, but expected an answer still.

Nandos had always struggled with its Common, but was able to say: "Master. A group of enemies has made it to the tower. Razorclaw, Rethligore and Odo are dead. What are your orders?"

Arugal was surprised. When he head heard that the agents of Undercity had entered, he was sure they'd run away them moment they had freed their captured brethren. The troublesome whelps would soon learn a lesson, the Master of Shadowfang Keep was not to be trifled with.

Aloud he said: "Release Fenros and ready your wolves. Rally what remains of The Sons here. We need to initiate Project Lycantrophy sooner than I thought. If the enemy can get this far, it will only be a matter of time before we're dead. I'll send a message to Laterbrus, we need all troops here to give us enough time to ready the project."

Nandros did his complicated bow and left. Arugal took his quill back and began writing another letter. He realised something and yelled "Oh, and summon Esca! I have a mission for him!" after the worgen.

Everybody readied their weapons. Arugal stood over the strike team, black robes swirling and staff burning. Nobody answered his questions, though it could be said he did not require one. Suddenly he waved his staff in a large arc, creating magical trails after it. He did not say anything, but continued the movement and brought it to an end by slamming the staff furiously, creating a large magical disturbance that Kra felt all too well.

"Watch out!" She said, just before eight voidwalkers attacked at the strike team, appearing around them from thin air.

Nandros the Wolf Master snarled. The enemies were standing in front of it, and its pack behind it. It knew it was going to die and there was nothing to stop that, but it could not feel unsatisfied with it. There was something that had made it loyal to Arugal over time, and it could not think of any better end for itself than this one he had specified.

It jumped trough the air, howling furiously and swinging its claws at the face of the heavily armored undead warrior in front of it. The warrior took cover behind his shield, but Nandros was able to knock him off balance with the power of its strike. The warrior fell backwards and a bleak worg jumped at it, ripping its troath open and splitting its skull.

Nandros gave a splendid howl, but had to quit it short because a stealthy undead woman tried to attack it from the behind. It swang its hand at the threat, knocking her half a room away. Suddenly a slight buzzing hit its ears from amongst the fighting noices. It knew that voice, it was someone casting shadow magic.

It turned its eyes to see a green skinned female humanoid with a ball of shadow energies ready, aiming it at Nandros. The worgen only had time to blink its eyes before the magic hit its face, burning fur, skin and flesh. It gave another howl, this time of pain, but turned to attack the caster. Ten seconds later it had walked half of the way to her and had been hit by two more spells, but was standing high and generating a status of unfathonable rage for itself. One more ball of darkness flew at it, creating another giant burn mark in its body, but slowing it in no way at all.

Nandros now stood one step away from the warlock, who had suddenly forgotten her spells and was cowering in a corner. The worgen lowered one of its claws to end the thing's life, but was interrupted when the same undead woman it had already once hit out of its way jumped on its back and sunk her daggers to its neck.

Nandros was able to shake the assasin away, but realised the battle was lost. In its last moment of life, it could not help but to be happy for serving Arugal the way it had.

Kra was shaking harder than ever before in her life when she was lifted up from the corner. Her imp was seemingly trying to break free by using this moment of confusion to its aid, but she did not care. The worgen had been seconds away from killing her, and magic, which she had used for every thing in her life up to that moment, and which had never failed her, could not stop the giant beast. Suddenly she was shaken away from her shock when a bony hand slapped her left cheek.

Commander Silkstep said, with a harsh voice: "Quit sobbing. We have one more foe to face and you have all the time in the world to be in shock after that." Kra noticed the door which the worgen and its wolves had been guarding had opened and in the next room, a back-robed mage stood in a chair, waiting to catch his enemies attention.

She rose up and pointed at the mage. Silkstep and her forces turned around, seeing him as well. "Arugal!" The commander yelled: "Your time has come! Silverpine now belongs to the Dark Lady!"

The mage stood up, burned a letter on his table with a wave of his hand, and said: "Commander? You can't imagine how happy I am to hear of you! Has it been half a year or one and a half since we last met? I lost track, since I had other things to think of."

Commander Silkstep walked forwards, unseathed her blades and said: "Archmage Arugal. By the authorisation given to me by The Dark Lady and Lord Varimathras, I sentence you to death for the following charges: Crimes against The Forsaken, mass-murder, breaking a peace-contract without notice, assasinating a representive of Undercity, killing a diplomat and a messenger, needlessly harming civilians, killing allies of Undercity who were passing near your lands and plotting to take over an area that belongs to the authority of Undercity."

Arugal nodded his head at the point of each crime's name, as if confessing each one. After Silkstep had said what she wanted, he rose up and said: "Well, if the sentence for such a small group of crimes is death, I quess we can get over with it. Come here and get your price, but killing me won't bring your husband back."

The commander was expressionless. She waved her hand to tell her troops to follow her. The crew walked to the final room, Arugal's personal hall. It was a crude room that had propably once been multiple ones, but they had burned down and left a giant stone hall behind. It was as high as four normal rooms and there was a staircase leading down right next to the door the strike team got in from. The stony floor, which the stairs lead to, was full of half-eaten bodies. There were another stairs leading up to where Arugal's desk, along with himself, was.

Silkstep, Kra and the five other members of the team walked down, keeping their eyes on the mage. Most of his face was covered by a giant mage-helmet, he had greenish metal shoulderpads, black-n-white robes and a giant metal staff which had a ring and a flame in its tip. He looked down on the team of enemies with disgust in his eyes and said: "You too shall serve!"

Suddenly a number of worgen jumped at the team from the shadows. Arugal began casting something. Kra turned to an incoming "Son of Arugal" (as they were known by the residents of Sepulcher) and hastily cast a spell that stopped it on its tracks. The worgen's eyes widened and it tried to move, but its muscles simply would not do so.

Kra readied a spell and set the creature on fire. This seemed to release the beast from its immobalizement, but (luckily for Kra) it seemed more preoccupied with putting out the fire covering its body by running around in panic. Kra shot a shadow bolt, that hit the worgen's head and killed. She was just about to turn to see how the other were doing when suddenly she heard a voice.

"Kra'Osha, look at me."

It was the voice of Arugal. Kra blinked her eyes and turned her head to the archmage. He was still standing where he had been when the worgen had attacked the strike team, and was looking down to Kra. The orc looked into his eyes, not knowing why.

For a moment, the Warlock thought she heard words in her head, but soon she realised she did not. She continued looking into the eyes, and then suddenly felt a slight stich in her left side. Then it suddenly hit her.

Rage.

More rage than Kra had ever felt in her life. She cried in hatred, in the will to hurt anything that moved and a fair share of things that did not.

As she yelled, she saw the others turn at her, puzzled. It made her even more angered. She was not a display animal people were supposed to gaze at. She thought she felt her skin tickle, but she did not care. Suddenly she abandoned all magic and jumped at the closest forsaken warrior, accompanied by Arugal yelling: "RELEASE YOUR RAGE!"

She did just that. Maybe if she hadn't, she could have realised her hands did not look like they did normally, but because she did, she just used them to cut the warrior in front of her severly. He fell to ground and writhed in agony. Kra plunged her head onwards, biting his troath open. Ichor and moldy blood spilled everywhere and the man quit moving.

It did not lower Kra's rage in any amount. As Arugal yelled: "ANOTHER ONE FALLS!", she was already looking for another one to direct her hate to. Suddenly she gazed down and saw her reflection on the small puddle of liquids.Gazing up from the surface was the reflection of a worgen. Maybe normally, she would have cared, but she still had some anger to vent.

Just as Kra was about to direct next attack at a cleric, she heard a voice above her. She looked up to Arugal again, just to see him crouching down. Commander Silkstep was standing behind him, bloody daggers high and with a satisfied look on her face. Suddenly Kra's rage went away as quickly as it had appeared and she felt her skin tickle again.

The worgen around her suddenly died. Without any actual reason, they simply fell down and died. Kra saw her hands revert back to their normal form and fur disappear from her skin. She suddenly noticed the changes in her anathomy during the methamorhosis had ripped her clothes and she was now naked. She blushed.

Silkstep walked down, carrying the archmage's head, and said: "You can have his robes if you don't mind the blood stains."
edit: I decided to turn it into the first chapter, since it turned out longer than I thought.

Last edited by Kerrah; 06-02-2007 at 09:12 AM..
Old 05-29-2007, 11:00 AM

Elune

Quote:
The Rage, Chapter Two,
From Master to Servant:

A lone warlock was running trough the forest of Silverpine, terrified and ragged. He looked as if he was being chased by something horrible, but an onlooker would not have seen anything behind him. The warlock kept running for a good ten minutes, until he dared stop and turn around to see if he was still being chased. Even though he could not see anyone, he knew he was not safe.

Laterbrus did not even know where he was running to. The forces of Undercity would do nothing to him but slay him in cold blood. The wizards of Dalaran had perhaps once been people whose hospitality had been known widely, but in the modern times, even they could not accept a random stranger to their lands without questions.

"This was a damn mess you've gotten yourself to." He found himself saying aloud. "You should have left Silverpine when you had the chance."

Suddenly a voice behind him said: "I agree."

Laterbrus leaped several feet to air and begun running away so eagerly, that he landed badly on his feet and flew to the ground, his face burrowing to mud and dead plants. Three pairs of feet surrounded him before he got himself up.

And there were of course the three worgen those feet belonged to.

Laterbrus stood up, frightened and shaking. The largest of the worgen, a pitch-black brute, almost as tall as an ogre but not as wide, asked: "Remember me?"

The warlock fell backwards and took something out of his pocket. At first the worgen protected themselves from an attack, but then they realised the item was a metal ring, to which were attached half a dozen trinkets.

Laterbrus, his hands shaking, rose the first one high and started muttering: "Whatever will happen, I have followed the three virtues and The Holy Light is with me. Light bless the souls of Alonsus and Uther, light protect me..."

The largest of the beasts let out a giant howl, the man dropped his trinkets and accidentally kicked them away. He ducked after them, took them back to his hands and brought the second one high, muttering: "The shadow bring death to my enemies as it brought to the likes of Anduin Lothar and Terenas Menethil. The darkness embrace me and protect...."

The second largest of the beasts let out a howl and the warlock reacted in the exact same way as before. Within a second he was again surrounded by the three berserk beasts and holding another holy symbol, saying: "My ancestral spirits, come to my protection, please."

The third beasts didn't even have to howl, it simply raised its head up high and opened its mouth, causing the exact same effect as the two before it. The warlock ducked after his trinkets and started to chant: "Elune, who bring us light during the night. Come to my aid..."

The largest beast suddenly grasped the handful of trinkets and crushed it to a shapeless piece of metal with its bare hand. Laterbrus yelped, saying: "Let me try the rest! One of those has to work!"

The ebony worgen gave him a murderous gaze and said: "The Elder has summoned you. You should thank that I am not allowed to kill you. Follow."

"Very well Pix. Lead the way." Laterbrus muttered, wishing the universe had picked a more sunny day for him to die during.

Half an hour later Laterbrus was taken to a valley, which was seemingly hidden between Lordamere Lake and the Deep Elem Mine. Just before vanishing under a thick layer of pine trees, the warlock saw Fenris Keep, a distant fortress in an island named after it (or vice versa). Briefly he remembered conquering it along with Arugal and a small horde of worgen.

It had all been as easy as cake then. The scourge suffered insane amounts of damage, and at the same moment realised it was facing two more opponents to the north. Arugal's worgen had cleansed all of Silverpine from enemy opposition and turned to siege the walls of Gilneas.

Laterbrus had always wondered where all those scourge troops had vanished. One moment there were almost as many of them as Arugal's worgen, but the next day over half of them were gone. The roads north and east were watched, so they did not go to either of those directions.

The next month the splintered undead factions of Lordaeron seemed to be under single rule. A banshee who went by the name Sylvanas Windrunner had defeated her demon-lead rival factions and proclaimed The Forsaken, now lead from the former capital of Lordaeron, the sole rulers of the land. Her eyes first set to Arugal, and Laterbrus had been there to see the banshee herself try to make the archmage her ally.

Arugal had said no, which lead to a deadly forsaken offensive from the north. For some months Arugal had fought them, not giving an inch, but finally his defenses failed and the cursed curs were able to establish a fortified base in the middle of the forest. This graveyard would have quickly fallen to the worgen and their rage, but two more enemies had approached Silverpine.

The scourge had been able to corrupt a(nother) dalaran archmage, Thule Ravenclaw, to its side and created a deadly force of rot hide gnolls. Taking back Fenris Isle and staging an effective offensive rush to the shores of the lake had done considerable damage to Arugal's forces, but the most dire threat had been the Dalaran forces approaching from south. Lead by yet another Dalaran archmage, Ataeric, the forces took the town of Ambermill, not far from Shadowfang Keep, for unknown purposes, and stayed within, not caring much for the forest outside it.

As a result, Arugal's hold of the forest was weakened and his enemies' power had grown. To his luck those enemies hated each other as well, and just a few weeks ago the forsaken forces had completely cleansed the gnoll forces of scourge. Arugal had reconsidered the situation and drawn all his forces out from the northern parts of the forest to take his most dangerous enemy, Ambermill, out. Arugal had known that this would give Undercity an increased presence in the forest and possibly make his life a living hell when Ambermill was out of his way.

The old mage had been right. The forsaken had killed Ataeric for Arugal, but used the moment when most of his forces ran to take over Ambermill to send a strike force to Shadowfang. Somehow they had killed Arugal, and Laterbrus, who had been in command of the forces attacking Ambermill, was suddenly in very real danger. His skin had been saved by a sudden attack by both the forsaken and the armies of Dalaran.

And that was how he ended up being here, taken to a hidden valley between Deep Elem Mine and Lordamere Lake by worgen who had previously been his minions.

A moment later the warlock had been taken in front of the Elder. Laterbrus found himself shaking again as his captor walked to take his side of the leader of his clan.. The ancient worgen (Pollet the Blind) stood in place with his magician (Pronus the Wise) at his left side and his most skilled hunter (Pix the Mighty) at the other.

The blind worgen sniffed and said: "Ah, young apprentice. I am glad Pix and his crew found you before the many evils of the forest killed you."

Laterbrus decided to reply to the compliment by asking: "Elder Pollet. What gives me the honour of being abducted from your order?"

The worgen did not haste with the conversation, but turned around and took a handful of human flesh off a fresh corpse behind it. Only after licking some blood and taking a bite, it answered: "Unfortunately, the reason for your presence here is the situation my people are in. You might ask yourself, why are we still here? Why haven't we returned to our homeworld now that the spells of your master do not bind us?"

The human rolled his eyes, but caught the murderous gaze of Pix, and gave his honest answer: "I haven't asked those from myself yet, since I have been too busy with being abducted and fearing for my life. I would, however, think that the answer is that you can not get back anymore."

The elder, who had just completely eaten the handful of flesh, licked its lips and said: "Precisely. Being dragged here by force, against our own will, we are expected to be able to just pop back to our own world? This world operates differently, and one can not expect us to understand the principles of the magic that brought us here.

Our magic is different. Our magic is based on bringing worth the caster's emotions. Unfortunately, homesickness does not seem to count. None of our magicians can find a way to get home, and more of us die each day, hunted for crimes we could not stop doing."

Laterbrus noticed that the elder, seemingly without noticing it, rubbed its wrists, where its shackles had been until recently. The warlock then coughed shortly and said: "You want me to transport you back to your own planet? You know I can't do-"

Pix let out a dangerous-sounding snarl, shutting Laterbrus up. The elder continued as if there had been no interruption at all: "We need two things of you. But of course, as a human being, you first want to hear your reward." The worgen's voice was full of disgust to the human nature when he said this. "We will lead you on the path to that which you truly desire."

The human's eyes opened wide and he asked: "You know where it is?" The elder was too disgusted by his obivious greed to answer properly, so instead he just nodded. Laterbrus' mind was reeling. This could turn into a very profitable trade.

He shook his head and thought straight. Being openly greedy did not increase his chance of getting this piece of information. He bowed and said: "I am but your servant, Elder Pollet. What do you require of me?"

The ancient worgen didn't still seem to appreciate Laterbrus' reason for helping him, but said: "Two things. We need back the book that your master used to rip us here in the first place. Pronus has studied what Azerothian books he can, and to him it seems that the first step will be to obtain the book.

The other thing we want you to obtain is a mage. As you were about to say just a moment ago, you are no expert in portal magic. You need to get us a one who is."

The warlock watched straight into the empty eye sockets of the blind worgen. He asked: "You want me to use the magic you hate with all your hearts? You want me to use Arugal's magics to force a random mage you capture into one of your kind and then make him cast your home returning spell?"

The worgen said: "You are testing my patience. I already have enough to bear with your motives to helping us."

Laterbrus smiled broadly and said: "Deal."

If you think you know where I'm going, guess again.

edit: The first one to tell everyone else where those trinkets and praying different gods in desperation is from gets a candy.

Last edited by Kerrah; 08-29-2007 at 07:53 AM..
Old 05-29-2007, 11:08 AM

Latebrus looks awesome. Great chapter, though it's a shame Arugal had to die.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:01 PM

Elune

Damn it. I've made a big, big mistake already. But if I fix it, people will guess parts of the future plot.

edit: Well I fixed it.

But if somebody sees the differences and guesses what's to come, he should keep his mouth shut.

Last edited by Kerrah; 05-29-2007 at 12:08 PM..
Old 05-29-2007, 03:21 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrah View Post
edit: The first one to tell everyone else where those trinkets and praying different gods in desperation is from gets a candy.
"The Mummy". When Imhotepp was ressurrected at the beginning of the film, he cornered Benny into a wall. Benny, in desperation, took out a necklace full of religious trinkets and started saying prayers from different religions, until he started reciting a jewish prayer and the mummy stopped, as it recognized the "language of the slaves".

Now, gimme that damn candy!
Old 05-30-2007, 11:07 AM

Elune

Quote:
"The Mummy". When Imhotepp was ressurrected at the beginning of the film, he cornered Benny into a wall. Benny, in desperation, took out a necklace full of religious trinkets and started saying prayers from different religions, until he started reciting a jewish prayer and the mummy stopped, as it recognized the "language of the slaves".

Now, gimme that damn candy!
*gives half a candy*

You got the name wrong.

It's Beni.

edit:
Quote:
The Rage, Chapter Three,
The Red-Robed Rider:

"By the way." Pollet the Blind asked Laterbrus just as he was about to exit the valley. "What happened to your master's other apprentice, Esca?"

The warlock hesitated for a moment and then said: "He was in Shadowfang Keep when it was raided. The Undercity Agents probably killed him."

Kra'Osha felt herself very lucky that she had had another robe with her. Being in Arugal's robes wasn't very pleasurable because of the blood stains and the two giant dagger holes in the back. They did have a large amount of magical powers, she could feel it, so she kept them in her rugsack.

Now she was standing next to the bat handler of Sepulcher, saying her goodbyes to Commander Silkstep, whom she had gotten to know better last night, when they were halfway back from the Keep.

Silkstep had been a normal warrior once, and luckily for herself, she had found the love of her life to also be undead, and on the same side of the conflict. They had reunited and served The Forsaken together for a year or so. Unfortunately, they had been sent to attack the worgen-occupied Silverpine, and Silkstep's husband had been killed by Arugal himself on the front lines.

She had returned to Undercity and trained to be an assassin to get her revenge to Arugal, and yesterday, she had succeeded. Kra feared the commander might lose the only thing in her life that mattered to her, but so far she seemed optimistic about her unlife-to-come.

While Kra was willing to help a little more with the local matters, Silkstep said she had an important mission in the Plaguelands. So now the two were saying goodbye. Silkstep was also taking that weird blue book Kra had noticed in the Keep to Undercity. Accourding to her, the book could be worth more than Arugal's head, but Kra was doubtful.

"See you some other day." The assassin said and mounted a bat, that flew high above the town and started to glide north.

Kra walked to the crypt, which served both as the military command post of the forest and the inn of the "town". High Executor Hadrec had said there was a terribly important mission he needed a magic user for. The orc walked down the stairs, silencing the entire crypt. All the undead people turned to her and suddenly bowed together. Kra blushed, she was not used to being a celebrity, or any kind of person others bowed at. Because she was a Warlock, all she got in Orgrimmar were hatesome looks.

The High Executor stepped forwards, clapped his hands and said: "Miss Warlock! We are in your debt for helping us against Arugal. Please accept this as a fair compensation for your hardships."

The man stretched his hand, offering a simple silver ring. It had the insignia of Undercity in it. A signet ring.

"The seal of Sylvanas." Hadrec explained. "Where ever people are loyal to her, you shall have their respect. I am only allowed to give five of these away. Commander Silkstep got one, and you another. A third one I gave to the man who organised the assault on Fenris Isle. I am saving the rest for those brave souls who will deal the killing blow to Dalaran attacks in the south.

Of course if you decide to stay and happen to be that person, I can't give you a second one. There are other items of value that might interest you, however. The Dark Lady saves many items she recieves as plunder from the areas she conquers, she then gives them as rewards to willing agents.

Our mission here in Silverpine is now to deal with Dalaran. From what I heard, the high command of Undercity is planning on setting another High Executor on Tarren Mill to lead another force in an offensive against Dalaran from that direction. If we are able to cut all the connections the city has to the world outside it, it'll be in ruins, again, within half a year."

Kra nodded her head and said: "I'll stick around for some time. What was the mission you needed me for?"

Hadrec gave a smile and said: "We need a spy to set on the mountains just next to Dalaran. To keep an eye on any traffic between it and Southshore, the last remaining human town anywhere near it. We need this spy to be someone who can handle arcane magic, because the other thing needed of him or her is to watch for any magic-based communication between them and southern human and dwarf nations. Think you can handle it?"

Kra thought for a moment and then asked: "How long am I expected to do this?"

Hadrec said: "Half a week would be a good start. But of course you need a partner. Go to Ambermill and ask my underling, Executor de Mon. He should have a partner ready for you."

Kra bowed and said: "Very well. I accept the mission. Do you have any bats flying to Ambermill?"

The High Executor shook his head and said: "Unfortunately no. We haven't gotten a bat master there yet. As soon as the northern forest is confirmed by our scouts to be clear of any enemy activity, this whole town will move there in any case, so I haven't ordered a new one from Undercity."

The orc smiled and said: "Then I'll ride. Good bye and may you rot well, as your kind says."

She walked outside and went to the stable master, where Kille, her black worg mount, was waiting. She had saved its life a long time ago, on her first visit to Silverpine, and risen it up as her pet. Soon it had grown large enough to carry her, so she had started to use it as a mount. For the smallest of moments, she wondered where the stable master kept the animal when she gave it to him, but she was too focused into the mission, so she just mounted the worg and rode out from the front gates of the graveyard.

Laterbrus took a peek from between the trees. Someone was riding while wearing a red robe. He closed his eyes and concentrated. He could feel a considerable amount of arcane powers within the person. He nodded to the two worgen, and they begun creeping at the mage.

Laterbrus himself sneaked a little closer, but couldn't see much else of the rider than that he was actually she, before his allies attacked her. They blew the woman off her mount, which run away scared. They then grasped her and brought her to her feet. Laterbrus walked to them and looked at her for a moment, he was just about to say she was alright and that they should make it back to their hideout, when somebody attacked them.

Kra saw it from a long distance. Two worgen and a mage were harassing some innocent rider. She rode forth and lead Kille to attack while jumping off it and readying a spell.

The worgen were slow to react, letting go off the woman and jumping away from the way of the enraged worg, but seeming unable to do anything complicated.

Kra focused her attacks at the mage. She shot a curse to him, but he was faster, taking out a wand and hitting the curse with it while it was flying at him. The curse deflected, gaining speed and barely missing its caster. Kra aimed her hands at him and spoke a word of Demonic. His vestments burst into flames. Suddenly, however, somebody hit her head hard.

She fell to the ground and was only able to think of rising up before the someone took a good hold of her and rose her high. She struggled, realising her attacker was a worgen as well, but the creature was enormous and very strong. It brought her to the mage and spoke in some foreign language. The human nodded and said: "Yes, I guess another one can't hurt us."

Meanwhile Kille had suddenly turned very passive, quitting fighting the worgen, who were now leading it to where Kra herself, the mage, the giant worgen and the unconscious innocent rider were. They placed the unconscious forsaken body on the back of the worg and then one of them said something in the foreign language again.

"Oh, you're right. She is still conscious." The hostile mage said. He snapped his hands in front of Kra's face, and she felt a spell briefly before falling into deep sleep.

Commander Silkstep was flying over a small river just west of Fenris Isle. She liked watching at the forest while flying over it. She remembered stealing a spellbook from the farm just north of the river...

Suddenly she heard a voice on her left. The bat let out a terrible screech. Something had pierced its wing, leading it into a perilous spin towards the ground. She jumped off the creature, seeing it land on the river, while she hit the rocks next to it.

She could hardly breathe when she opened her eyes. Somebody was offering her a hand. She took it and rose a little. The owner of the hand took a hold of her and smashed her at a tree. She was just about to focus her eyes on his face when a giant blast of fire hit her body, causing untold pain and taking her focus off recogniseing the man.

Thirty minutes later Eliza Ashbank woke with a terrible headache. The last thing she remembered before being knocked out was a pair of worgen. She had been riding on a stolen and "reporgrammed" skeletal horse, on her way to an espionage mission. To spy on the Forsaken of Sepulcher...

Where was she?

She opened her eyes, looking around herself. She was tied down next to an orc woman in warlock robes in some part of Silverpine forest. There were worgen everywhere around her, a big black one was talking about something with the human. The man said: "Shot down? By who? He is probably after the book. We must move to follow him at once!"

The black worgen growled and hissed, creating some kind of talk, but the mage understood, saying: "I'll take one scout you can offer, a one that knows the forest well if possible, and those two."

He lazily waved his hand at Eliza and the orc next to her. She had no idea what was going on, but she was going to escape at the first possible opportunity.

Suddenly a worgen just next to her growled and the mage turned to Eliza, saying: "Ah, our sleeping beauty. You are awake. I can start with you then."

"Start what on me?" The wizard asked as bravely as possible. Nasty images flashed in her mind. The mage laughed a little and turned to a rugsack. He dug around its contents a little before taking out two elemental shackles.

He asked: "Ever heard what happened to the residents of Pyrewood Village?"

Eliza raised his eyebrows. His focus had, before this, mostly been in the east.

The mage took her expression as a no and said: "Then you're going to find out. Now don't you move, this won't sting a bit. I hope."

He came close and attached the shackles on Eliza's wrists. He then went back to his sack and dug it some more. He took some reagents out, along with a mortar and pestle. There was some kind of fur, some disenchanting-powder, an oil and a herb. He said, very unencouragingly: "Don't worry. I know what I'm doing, I did this for Arugal all the time."

When he had mixed the reagents he had some kind of paste, which he proceeded to rub it all around the shackles. After that he placed his hands on the shackles and started to chant something, probably in elvish.

Eliza felt the effect at once. Her skin tickled in a funny fashion and her wrists seemed to burn and freeze at the same time. She grinded her teeth (or what remained of them) together, only to realise they were changing. Suddenly she gasped as she realised the parts of her arms and legs, from which flesh had previously rotted away, were filling with new, living flesh.

She watched around her, and saw her skin grow full of hair and her body grow in size. She yelled in pain as for a moment it seemed her skin was too small to keep her growing muscles inside, but then it grew as well and she felt better. She felt her mouth suddenly leap away from the rest of her face, creating her a snout. Her face grew long but narrow, and her eyes set on each side of it.

Eliza felt very lucky that her robes hadn't ripped apart by the growth of her body. She had worn loose robes, like most free-willed undead did, though wore them due to not caring about their appearance, while she wore them to look like one of them.

Her transformation to a worgen was complete. She watched as the mage walked to her side and untied the ropes holding her. He said: "Unfortunately for you, those shackles also turn you under my power. Do not attack me or run away."

Eliza, who had just thought of doing one of those options, was confused as she simply could not consider doing either of them. She rose up and thought of other options. Everything else was still free for her.

The mage spoke again: "Do not kill or harm yourself or any other worgen. For worgen you are. In fact, don't do anything you can be sure I would not allow you to do."

Eliza grinned as she realised all possible things she was considering a moment ago locked behind bars in her mind.

"Now help me do the same on this orc as well. Hmm... Her robes are a little tighter, we don't want them to rip so help them off her."
There you go.

Last edited by Kerrah; 06-04-2007 at 06:43 PM..
Old 05-30-2007, 11:17 AM

Eternal

What matters is how it's spelt, not how it's written.

Now give me the rest of that damn candy!
Old 05-30-2007, 11:40 AM

Elune

Quote:
What matters is how it's spelt, not how it's written.

Now give me the rest of that damn candy!
Okay okay.

*gives the rest of the candy, which has been soaked in Worgen pee*

Old 05-30-2007, 09:44 PM

Mountain Giant

If I weren't so tired at the moment I'd give you some decent feedback. All I can say now is that it's interesting and I hope you continue, though there are a number of points that can be improved (IMO).
Old 05-31-2007, 03:24 AM

Arch-Druid

Well kerrah, this is a very well made story, but I have one objection:

Quote:
Commander Silkstep walked forwards, unseathed her blades and said: "Archmage Arugal. By the authorisation given to me by The Dark Lady and Lord Varimathras, I sentence you to death for the following charges: Crimes against The Forsaken, mass-murder, breaking a peace-contract without notice, assasinating a representive of Undercity, killing a diplomat and a messenger, needlessly harming civilians, killing allies of Undercity who were passing near your lands and plotting to take over an area that belongs to the authority of Undercity."
Mass murder aganist whom?
Breaking a peace contract? when did the forsaken sign a peace treaty with argul at the first place?
Needlessly harming civilians? SO the forsaken are defending the living now?
At least I stopped short of proposing.
Shani deserves someone normal.
Someone who will care for her, not wander the world risking his neck for a handful of coin.
I have no right to put her and Alvin in that position.
I'm a Witcher.
And sometimes I miss them... her.
~Geralt Of Rivia, White wolf.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:15 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drirlake View Post
Mass murder against whom?
Breaking a peace contract? when did the forsaken sign a peace treaty with argul at the first place?
-Mass murder against the Forsaken populance of Northern Silverpine, when he released the worgen in the first place (Sylvanas really didn't see that coming).
-You'll find out more about that later on.
-Stalin would have blamed Hitler for "crimes against humanity" as well, if Big H wouldn't have killed himself.

Another thing: I really need to fix a thing in the third chapter. I kept saying Laterbrus was "black-robed", which he isn't. I kept thinking of his original design, which had black robes, but ended up with something a bit more original.

edit: Fixed.

double edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitor
If I weren't so tired at the moment I'd give you some decent feedback. All I can say now is that it's interesting and I hope you continue, though there are a number of points that can be improved (IMO).
Fire away when you have time.

triple edit: Forgot to post this, Ashbank's spy outfit (going around in a decorative Wizard Robe would draw unwanted attention):

Old 06-10-2007, 06:14 PM

Mountain Giant

Sorry for the delay, but here are some more specific thoughts on your story.

I thought there were times when you missed an opportunity to describe a certain scene or thing in a more interesting way. Take the following excerpt:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrah
Kra focused her attacks at the mage. She shot a curse to him, but he was faster, taking out a wand and hitting the curse with it while it was flying at him. The curse deflected, gaining speed and barely missing its caster. Kra aimed her hands at him and spoke a word of Demonic. His vestments burst into flames. Suddenly, however, somebody hit her head hard.
Perhaps it's because I don't play WoW, but I have no idea what a curse looks like (though I suppose that there are different kinds of curses and that they have different appearances, perhaps). Anyway, a more important point is that I think you could go into more detail and use more ornate language. Don't go overboard with adjectives and adverbs, obviously, but try to convey the characters' sensory experience more colorfully.

Now, in my opinion, your way of describing things sometimes feels rather awkward. Take the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrah
She watched around her, and saw her skin grow full of hair and her body grow in size. She yelled in pain as for a moment it seemed her skin was too small to keep her growing muscles inside, but then it grew as well and she felt better. She felt her mouth suddenly leap away from the rest of her face, creating her a snout. Her face grew long but narrow, and her eyes set on each side of it.
The last two sentences are solid, I think. But the first two are off. The phrase "she felt her mouth suddenly leap away" sounded good to me. However, you seem to have just summarized what she was feeling-- a sort of "telling and not showing" problem.

The issues I highlighted in those two paragraphs are the major issues I have with the story. The character concepts and the plot of The Rage all strike me as sound and interesting-- I just think you need to go into more detail. Of course, you can't fit everything in that you might want to, and some things have to be done at the expense of others. Nevertheless, in the end you have to write the way that you think is best-- all of this is just my opinion. I am not an English professor, nor am I a great writer. The above is just the impression I got.

Last edited by Inquisitor; 06-10-2007 at 06:24 PM..
Old 06-11-2007, 04:51 AM

Elune

Thanks for the critisism. For the curse part, I have to say that particular paragraph was inspired by Harry Potter, with 'curse' replacing 'spell'.

Lol. This is the last time I post a chapter half asleep. I posted in the wrong thread.

Quote:
The Rage, Chapter Four,
First Meetings:

Arugal took a seat in his new room. The chair was very uncomfortable and the walls were moldy. He had been explained that the room hadn't been used for decades. Not since a mage had rented it, went mad from arcane corruption, started using demon magics and eventually committed suicide.

How charming.

The mage decided to begin with the obvious. Since he would be living here for quite some time, he should at least make sure the previous owner had not left anything dangerous or otherwise interesting lying in the cupboards. He rose up again and started to walk to the closest one. Before he could reach it though, he almost tripped over a piece of rope lying in the ground.

Arugal took a hold of his table, saving himself from an embarrassing fate, but realising the table's legs were uneven. He sank to his knees, trying to find some piece of trash to put under the too short leg. He realised two legs were too short, but one of them already had a book under it.

Rolling his eyes, the mage mumbled "If you have two short legs, just shorten the long ones." and pulled the book from under the table leg. He put it on the table and opened it. The introduction began:

Quote:
The land of Azeroth is host to no end of wonders. Flora, fauna, cultures, and magic all teem across it's surface. Indeed, the curious will find limitless variety on this world. One merely has to look. But if one looks deeply enough then windows to entire new worlds are found, and each world is home to it's own wonders. Just as each world is home to it's own horrors.

This is the purpose of my book: to catalogue those beings, those otherworldy fiends who would destroy our lands, so that explorers who happen upon them will know what they face. So if you consider yourself a guardian of Azeroth, then read on. And know your enemy.

-Ur
Mage of Dalaran
Suddenly the door behind Arugal opened. Arugal hastily put the book away and faced the man standing by the door. Lieutenant Springvale was wearing a silver-colored armor and carrying an ugly black sword with his shield. He had lead the mage to the room and had been waiting outside the door. "What was the ruckus?" He asked.

"Nothing. I almost tripped over a piece of junk, but was able to survive the incident." The mage answered.

The lieutenant smiled, thought the smile did not reach his eyes.

Kra'Osha woke up feeling very relaxed. She thought she must have fallen asleep during her return home from that awful trip to Lordaeron. The worst thing had been the fight against the mage and his worgen.

"Wait a minute..."

The orc opened her eyes and saw she was still in Silverpine. There were rotting pinetrees all around her. She was lying on her back next to a tent. She felt like her wrists had been tied for some time, but were now freed. She turned her head to see what was going on around her.

Dozens of worgen were moving around, carrying items to a pile. The mage who had stunned Kra was standing next to the pile, apparently sorting out usable and unusable stuff. Kra realised her robes were in a pile next to her, and somebody had dressed her in rags instead. She took the robes, pressed them against her chest and started to silently make her way towards the trees next to her.

Suddenly a worgen wearing rags similar to Kra's stepped on her way and let out a growl. In the corner of her eye, the orc saw the mage turn around, so she began to run to the woods by instinct.

A voice cut the air: "Stop."

Kra's feet suddenly quit moving. She tried to feel what kind of a curse she had been hexed with, but could not feel any kind of magics on herself at the moment. She looked down, expecting someone to be holding her legs, but instead saw something else.

There was nothing holding her legs, but she didn't recognise them as her legs either. They were furry paws of a wolf. Of a worgen....

"Turn around." The voice said. Kra found herself obeying.

The human was standing there, a mask covering much of his face. Kra could see from his eyes that he was smiling broadly. He asked: "Do you know what happened to the residents of Pyrewood Village?"

Kra took a glance at the sky and said: "But it's day. Those villagers only changed shape during night!"

The mage playfully waved his head backwards and ordered: "Answer the question."

Kra grinned as she could not prevent herself from answering: "They were turned into worgen by Arugal's dark magics." She had heard the story in Sepulcher before being hired to join the strike team that attacked Shadowfang Keep.

The mage said: "Yes. And to answer your comments, Arugal was able to curse the villagers, though he succeeded so badly, due to it being his first try in that kind of magic, that the transformation was unstable. Arugal studied his failure and had just succeeded in creating this stable kind of enchant I put in your shackles when forsaken agents slipped past his troops and murdered the whole village."

Kra was a little confused. She asked, shaking her head: "Are you his apprentice or something?"

The mage said, as if surprised by the question: "Arugal's? Yes."

Kra was just about to ask something when the mage interrupted: "You have all the time in the world to ask questions later on. I'll just explain the basics now, since we're in something of a hurry.

First of all: I command you to not do anything you know I wouldn't want you to do. That should keep me safe during the nights.

Second of all: I turned you into a worgen so you can later on help me with a portal spell I need to return the Moonrage Worgen to their homeworld. Just play along and do your best and I'll release you when we're done.

Third of all: Call me Laterbrus."

Kra blinked, feeling the commands sink into her brain. She was again going to ask something, but was again interrupted. Laterbrus said: "We're leaving to retrieve The Book of Ur, which was carried by some Undercity Agent who was shot down while flying from Sepulcher to Undercity. This shouldn't turn out so hard."

Kra tried to ask her question, but instead found herself saying: "What must I do?"

North from the site where Kra'Osha was getting used to being enslaved and transformed against her will, a lone forsaken priest was walking southwards along a road, on her way to Sepulcher.

Her name was Elenah Dorquattle and she had recently woken up in a mass-grave north of Brill. After getting used to unlife, she had been requited in the Forsaken army and sent to assist the armies in Silverpine.

As she walked, keeping her eyes and ears open, she suddenly heard crying to her left. There, by a tree, close to a burned-down farmhouse, a man sat by a mound of dirt, crying out loud.

Elenah walked to the man, keeping her weapon ready and mind clear. The man was wearing black robes with blue stitching along with a dark blue wizard's hat and gold-rimmed gloves. On his back was a long cape and besides him lay a long staff with a flame and a burning ring in the end and an ugly sword with a black handle. Even though his hat covered most of his face, Elenah could see he sported a gray beard, signaling he was past his years of youth.

The priest silently closed to the mage, still ready for any kind of attack she could imagine. The mage stopped crying and rose his bright blue eyes to watch at the incomer. He muttered, more to himself than to Elenah; "I guess some human discussion wouldn't do me any bad."

The man stood up, towering very high. Elenah opened her mouth and asked: "Are you foe or friend?"

The man gave something of a cross between a sob and a chuckle, saying: "What living beings are friends to your kind in this land?"

The priest offered her hand and said: "Elenah Dorquattle, former priest of Lordaeron."

The man, though shaking the hand without any hesitation, said: "I guess you can call me Esca."

Elenah watched past the man, seeing the freshly dug mount of dirt. "If you don't mind me asking, what did you bury?"

The man did not answer. He walked away a few steps and changed the subject, asking: "Do you think a man is responsible for his own fate?"

Elenah did not know what to answer, so she decided to philosophise, saying: "Depends in how much he had hand in it. Some are thrown into their final fate against their will, while others mold their future."

The man turned to Elenah and asked: "How did you live before dying?"

Elenah wondered what this information was needed for, but said: "I lived in a small village in the shore of the sea, directly north of Lordaeron. I was the priest there and was a highly respected member of the community."

She was just about the say the words "but then came the plague", when the mage rose his arm, signaling he did not want to hear of that part. He inhaled and said: "I hope you are in peace with your life."

Elenah sensed an oncoming attack from the sentence, but was surprised when the mage instead continued.

"Because you will not find much satisfaction in your 'second chance'."

The priest lowered her weapon. The human offered his hand and said: "It was nice to talk to you, Elenah Dorquattle."

Elenah took the hand. The man rose his other one, as if to gently place it on her shoulder, but instead rose it, palm forward, on the level of his face, and fired a wall of fire at the unfortunate priest.

Elenah screamed in agony as the flames consumed her body. As she fell on the ground, inches away from death, she heard the mage open some kind of a bag and say: "Now, let us see what we've got in store with you, Silkstep."

The man stepped one step onwards, crushing Elenah's head and ending her unlife. He had been right, she had not found much happiness in her 'second chance', that lasted two weeks.

Renthlivend checked the supplies one last time. The fate of his people depended on this trip, he did not want it to fail because he had forgotten something. The mage walked to him and said: "You're Renthlivend, right? We're ready if those supplies are."

The worgen bowed and said: "Master Laterbrus, I am ready."

The mage chuckled and said: "I am not your master. It's more like your Elder is mine. Just call me Laterbrus."

Renthlivend said: "Very well. I think that since I'll be the pathfinder and scout, your Slaves should carry our supplies."

Laterbrus said: "A good idea. You do know where the book-carrier's bat was shot down, right?"

It was the worgen's time to chuckle, as it said: "I was one of the scouts following that bat. I'll take us there, one other scout is waiting for us, or following whoever claimed the book there. We'll follow him if the book was taken.

The human admitted it being a good plan and called his servants to carry the supplies. While the two 'cursed' (the Worgen term for people forced to take Worgen form) readied the items, Laterbrus asked if Renthlivend's name could be shortened.

"I know Nandros' real name was Nandrankhalas and Pollet is actually Pollaucherrus" He insisted "Your name must have a short form too."

Renthlivend hesitated and said: "The short version of my name is Rentlos. Feel free to use it.

But your name is not a short one either. Did your parents name you that?"

For a moment the worgen feared it had stepped too far, but the human gave a hearty laugh and said: "Laterbrus is my mage name, chosen back when I graduated from my Wizard studies. I was born with a different name altogether. If you want a short name, just call me Laterb."

Renthlivend gave a nod and realised the Cursed were ready. He said: "Follow me. I'll keep an eye out for possible enemies, but you should be ready to defend yourself at any given time as well. The forest is not safe.

Not that it has ever been in the time we have been here."
Sorry for so damn many different points of view. This will probably have the most in the fanfic.

Old 06-11-2007, 07:45 AM

Mountain Giant

The different perspectives didn't really bother me, in fact, the dialogue flowed well enough that it wasn't a bother at all. I look forward to more; I'm interested in seeing how this story plays out.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drirlake View Post
Well kerrah, this is a very well made story, but I have one objection:

Mass murder aganist whom?
Yeah I agree with you, pointed that out myself in WoW with Ker.
Arugal isn't a citizen of Duskwood so he doesn't abide by Sylvanas' laws.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:52 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timolas View Post
Yeah I agree with you, pointed that out myself in WoW with Ker.
Arugal isn't a citizen of Duskwood so he doesn't abide by Sylvanas' laws.
Of course he isn't a citizen of Duskwood! He has never even been in Duskwood!

edit: And when since has Sylvanas had any authority in Duskwood?

anyways, I'll still say this: Stalin would have accused Hitler of "crimes against humanity" if he had had the chance.

Quote:
The Rage, Chapter Five,
The Book Travels North:

Arugal snapped the book closed and put it on the table. He simply didn't know what to do. The book had started by warning everyone who read it of an extraazertohian race called the Worgen, which existed for the sole purpose of destroying all they saw. Over time, however, the writer seemed to have become more possessed by the knowledge he had been writing up, and his writing turned into aiding the reader in summon and control of the Worgen.

The introduction had been written by a mage called Ur, whom Arugal had never heard of, but there was no indication on the writer of the rest of the book.

The wizard rose up and conjured a handful of flames. The third code of the Kirin Tor: Any item of magical danger should be sealed for further study. If the time or items needed for this sealing lacked, the item should be destroyed at once.

Just as Arugal rose his hand high above his head, a voice yelled: "Stop, Abiel!"

Arugal stumbled and looked around him. It couldn't be...

It was.

Just next to him stood the transparent shape of his former master, Darrexxis. Arugal was speechless, the man had died years ago, having disappeared from Dalaran one day.

The ghost spoke: "Abiel. Do not destroy the book. It is the last piece of information this world has on the studies of Ur, my master."

Arugal blinked twice and said: "Your master? Did you write this? What are you, a ghost?"

Darrexxis' ghost shook its head and said: "That's quite many questions, but to begin, I am not a ghost. There are more than one ways to cheat death. I magically stored my mind in that book, knowing I would have to tell its story to somebody one day. This... fake life is nothing I want to propose for you, but I am glad to find my former apprentice to have been the one to wake me."

Arugal stretched his hand and touched the man in front of him. His fingers glided trough the ghostly shape and the man continued his story:

And yes, I did write the book, but it is based on the studies of Ur, my master. The Kirin Tor had known he had studied extraazerothian beings, and had banned him for that. I was the one to find his studies and destroy them. But over time I started to realize that now the world would never know how to defend itself from the beings he had studied, so I traveled here, to this room, and wrote that book.

But as I wrote, I became to realise. When these beings are in our world, their existance is thanks to magic. That makes them magical beings, no matter how unmagical they are in their own world. If they are magical, we can control them!

Do you not feel it yourself, that you need more than a miracle to survive of your present situation?"

Arugal blushed. The scourge was advancing from the north, and he himself had spent his nights cursing that each mage who fell to the Scourge grew the ranks of the enemy.

He hesitated for a moment, thinking of a good response, and then said: "But summoning beings from another dimension? I can not believe my old master would propose such things."

Darrexxis leaned forward and said: "I always told you desperate times require desperate measures, Abiel."

Arugal put the book on the table and sat on his chair, saying: "I won't destroy the book, but neither will I bend to your mad requests. And besides, I already got my Wizard name, it's Arugal."

The ghost bowed and started to vanish, saying: "You'll always be Abiel Vraythan to me, and consider my proposal as the Scourge grows in strength."

Eliza Ashbank struggled with her misshapen backpack while following the others. The orc had seemed to have adjusted to the present situation unnaturally fast, but Eliza couldn't still believe she had no chance but to cooperate. She knew she was actually doing her best in this whole thing, which made her even more angry about it.

The group was making their way north, staying as far away from the road as possible. The "normal" worgen was leading them, while the mage was covering their backs. Eliza and the orc were carrying supplies, judging from the amounts of which, they were going to spend a couple of days at most before this trip of theirs.

The mage was trying to be friendly with his minions, but they couldn't really talk, since they couldn't risk being detected by Forsaken agents patrolling the roads.

After about half an hour of walking, the group had crossed the abandoned ferry, from where the Scourge had once ferried corpses to Fenris Isle. They finally arrived to the shore of the river, which had run just south of Valgan's field. As they closed up, Eliza saw the once large field, along with the farmhouse and the barn, reduced to ashes. There were murlock corpses in the shores next to it and worgen hung in trees all around it.

The worgen told the others that the bat had been shot down here and had fell to the river, while its rider had jumped off and dropped to her attacker's feet. That was the last thing the scout had seen before it had ran to report, leaving its partner to keep an eye on the situation.

Laterbrus asked: "Where did the attack happen?"

The worgen pointed to the north side of the river, next to a tree. There were two large burn marks in the rock there. As the group walked to the river, they saw a bat-carcass floating in the water. Eliza knew the Forsaken used those bats for quick transportation, but had never heard of anyone shooting one down mid-air.

Not wanting to risk the nearby bridge, the group climbed down, jumped over the river and climbed back up on the north side. The worgen scout went to search for the spot where its partner had been spying the location in order to find a hidden message, telling which direction whomsoever had taken the book was heading to, while the others walked to investigate the attack location.

Both of the burn marks in the rock held the ashes and bones of a Forsaken. Eliza dug trough both of them while others looked around. One of the piles seemed complete, but the other, which also had a pair of familiar daggers, didn't contain a skull. She turned her head up and asked: "Where is this one's head?"

The others didn't pay attention, for they had found a mound of soil. Somebody had buried something there. "Nobody would be stupid enough to bury the book this hastily." The mage said, but waved his hand over the mound, trying to detect any possible magical objects under it. If there were any, he could not detect them.

Suddenly the orc gasped. Eliza readied her claws (a weird thought, but it seemed like a reflex the metamorphis had created for her) and turned to see what it was, but found herself gasping at the thing as well. The still living head of an undead woman was nailed to a tree.

The woman's eyes were wandering. She seemed unable of focusing them on anything. Her mouth was slightly open and her nose had been ripped off, spilling her entire face with old blood and ichor. The mage walked in front of her and asked: "Commander Silkstep, can you hear me?"

The head seemed oblivious to the communication attempt for a second, but then it raised its eyes and mouthed the word "yes".

The mage went on: "Who did this to you? What did they bury here?"

The head was again silent for a moment, but then gathered all its vigor and said (aloud this time) a single word: "Arugal."

Suddenly the tree the head was nailed to exploded violently, destroying the head and spreading chunks of wood all over the riverbed.

Fifteen minutes later Kra'Osha was watching as a group of Forsaken watchmen ran to the exploded tree. She, along with the undead woman, the mage and the worgen, was hiding in a nearby bush, to which it was basically impossible to see from the outside. The mage cast some sort of a spell to prevent their voices from exiting the bush and said: "Is it me or did she say Arugal himself destroyed her body and nailed her head to the tree?"

Eliza Ashbank shook her head and said: "You asked two questions. She might have responded to the last one. But how could Arugal have been buried there?"

Kra cut in, saying: "Arugal's head was being taken to Undercity as a trophy for The Dark Lady by Commander Silkstep. A head could well fit there."

Laterbrus raised his brows and asked: "You know Miss Silkstep?"

Kra answered "Yes. I was with her in killing Arugal." And added "How do you know him?"

Laterbrus smiled and said: "A long time ago, when the Forsaken were just desperately pushing into this forest, Silkstep and his husband ruled the Sepulcher. They were also the squires of Sylvanas when she visited Arugal to discuss a treaty. I had a short discussion with the woman back then. I also heard she lost her mind when my master killed her husband in front of her. Esca, Arugal's other apprentice, was wounded by Silkstep's husband, so after losing his chance on the husband, he always wanted to be the one to kill her when she'd return to Silverpine."

Kra didn't really want all this information about blood revenge and murder, so she changed the subject, saying: "But anyways, I think she referred to the buried object, not her attacker."

Laterbrus nodded and turned to the worgen, asking: "Did you find a message from your buddy?"

Renthlos seemed to hate the word 'buddy', but gave a direct answer. "He left some marks here. They go as follows: Wizard. Murder. Powerful. Walk. Northwest."

Laterbrus absorbed the information and said: "So we have a powerful wizard who killed people and then begun walking northwest?"

Renthlos nodded. The mage was immediately thinking aloud. "Northwest? What does he seek northwest? There's nothing there, unless this mage has a secret hideout in the mountains, which is impossible because the Forsaken have scourged the mountains well enough to avoid that kind of thing."

For the briefest of moments, Kra was sure the mage would just shrug and lead them back, with a back-up plan in his sleeve, but he continued: "We'll follow him. Three magicans can defeat one, no matter how powerful this one is. Especially if we can ambush him."

Kra sighed but found herself readying for departure.

Around the same time in Sepulcher, high executor Hadrec was cursing loudly and throwing random items at anyone who got in his way. Somebody had killed Commander Silkstep and stolen that book which she had been sent to recover in the first place. The attacker was missing and nobody had an idea about the direction he was moving towards.

Hadrec threw a worg heart on a table to someone who was coming down the stairs into the command outpost of the Forsaken in Silverpine. The incomer dodged the throw and said: "Calm down. Word has come from Undercity, you'll keep your position. Varimathras has agreed that you couldn't have behaved in any other way to prevent this disaster."

The high executor wasn't exactly relieved. He looked at the man standing in the stairs and said: "Allister, that still doesn't take me off the responsibility. If the book ends up in the hands of Dalaran or The Scourge, I'll end up much worse than having lost my position!"

The shadow priest was clearly showing empathy, and Hadrec knew there was more to come. He looked into Allister's eyes and the priest said: "He is coming here to take control until the book is recovered. Varimathras is."

Hadrec broke a table to pieces with a single well-aimed kick, several items fell to the floor. He yelled a curse so loudly, that miles away Kra'Osha thought she could hear something in the wind.
The stupid title for the chapter comes from LotR, where one of the chapters was called "The Ring travels south" or something to that direction.

All problems are because I finished it in a rush, wanting to have it completed before I go away for a week.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:11 AM

Elune

Quote:
The Rage, Chapter Six,
Betrayal, Past and Honour:

Arugal watched as the ghostly figure of Darrexxis appeared in front of him. Behind his back, his left hand squeezed tight around an amulet.

"Master. I have something to ask of you." He said, watching into the brown eyes of the man.

"Business first." The shape insisted. "Have you done what I requested of you?"

Arugal didn't feel like arguing, but didn't give an answer instantly either. He looked out from the window, watching the rotting pines around Pinerock Keep for a moment, then sighed and said: "Yes. Though you could have gotten your answer by watching the floor under yourself."

The ghostly appearance turned its head downwards, seeing that it was standing in a ritual circle, drawn with the finest amethyst and sapphire powders. There were elven letters on the edges.

It tried to step forwards, out of the circle, but suddenly came to a halt. There was a field of force that stopped its movement and kept it inside.

"What is the meaning of this, Abiel?" It asked, eyeing Arugal with half-closed eyes.

Arugal turned around and said: "I asked a little about the death of Darrexxis in this room, and it seems he cut his own wrists open. How could he do that after storing his mind in a book? Tell me, impostor."

The ghost closed its eyes and asked: "How long have you known?"

Arugal cocked his head and said: "I found out yesterday. But now, the fact that a circle created with Blessed Gems restricts your movement means you are either an evil spirit or a demon. My guess is in the latter."

The thing seemed unconcerned with being imprisoned. It simply said: "You have no idea what you are getting into, mortal."

Arugal fingered the amulet he had been carrying for a second and then put it on. He then said: "Assume your true form, you'll save both of us time. And you yourself, though in the guise of my master, said that one can never have too much time."

The being seemed in no way interested in doing as Arugal was telling it to do, but instead tried to escape the prison Arugal had created for it. The wizard took some reagents from his table, scattering a powder around the ritual circle and putting on two shiny bracelets, shuttering from the enchantments put in them.

The imprisoned entity was now standing steadily and had created a sword of energy, trying to pierce its way trough the force field.

Arugal readied himself, created a ball of energy around his hand and said: "Assume your true form, demon. Now!"

The being in front of him was changing as he spoke. Though it did not directly turn into a demon, it ceased being transparent, its human shape grew spikes around its body and its eyes turned blood red.

"I give you one last chance. Assume your true form!"

Arugal kept sucking arcane energy from around himself when he spoke, knowing the thing had gone too far to give up. The force field in front of it was going to fall any second now.

As the energy globe on Arugal's palm grew, the thing's face, now only barely recognisable, turned clearly victorious, it's sword pierced the mystical wall in front of it. It opened its mouth and gave a giant howl, swinging the energy sword around.

Arugal closed his eyes and his mind, praying from all that was good in Azeroth that he hadn't underestimated the thing. He rose his hand and released the blue ball of energy at the thing. It seemed in no way willing to block or dodge the attack, laying down its weapon and standing tall in front of the spell.

A giant explosion filled the room. The wizard fell down, trying to keep himself safe from any flying junk. He heard his desk hit a wall and splinter to pieces.

For a moment it was silent, Arugal waited, expecting something beyond his worst nightmares to jump at him. Nothing did, so he turned to his back and opened his eyes. The room was in bad shape and the demon was nowhere to be seen. The wizard sighed and sat down, not caring that there was nothing in particular to sit on.

Suddenly the demon's voice echoed in the air: "You may have defeated me, but you will not dare leave The Worgen unused! What will happen to the keep and Dalaran if you leave that resource as it is?" A giant laugh was the last voice Arugal ever heard of the thing.

He turned his face at the floor. Suddenly the door opened and Nigel de Mon, the captain of the guard, run in. Not seeming to notice the total destruction around himself, he announced: "We have lost the battle of Olsen's Farthing! The scourge have an open road all the way here! There will be thousands of them and a couple of hundred of us! A glorious death will come to us, but a death none the less!"

As the captain run out and proceeded to run around the keep, declaring doom to everyone, Arugal shed a tear and whispered: "You win, demon."

The campfire was burning warmly and happily, lighting its surroundings. Kra'Osha and Laterbrus sat on the opposite sides of it. Renthlos and Eliza Ashbank had fallen asleep half an hour ago, and Laterbrus was supposed to have too, but had decided to stay up.

Kra found herself watching at the man's face, looking at the many scars that were not normally visible, when his runecloth mask was on. The man did not seem aware of her staring, but watched into the campfire, sighing every now and then.

Finally Kra coughed and asked: "What are you thinking about?"

The mage rose his eyes into the (now) amber eyes on the other side of the campfire. "I'm trying to figure out who could know of the book, besides the forsaken."

The orc thought a moment, her eyes rolling upwards. "How do the forsaken know about it then?"

Laterbrus kept his face level, answering: "When the battles between Arugal and them begun, my master made an idiotic mistake, allowing the forsaken ambassador to find out of it and tell Sylvanas."

Kra thought to herself what kind of a mistake that could be, but her line of thought was cut short when the mage asked: "You're a warlock like me, aren't you? Your kind doesn't really have magi."

"Yes. But you're a warlock as well? I thought of you as a wizard, like Arugal was once."

The warlock laughed for a good long time. The voice echoed from the pines around them, and the human soon realized he could be endangering their position, the thought of that seemed to make him quit.

He wiped a tear from the corner of his eye and said: "To explain my amusement, I would pretty much have to explain my life story. But to sum it up, I was an inch away from becoming a wizard, but was kicked out of Dalaran. If I had become a wizard, I would probably have died during these recent times, so I guess being kicked out of Dalaran and becoming a Warlock pays out."

Kra thought of it for a moment and asked: "But how did you end up as the apprentice of Arugal? I was told he killed everyone around himself when he first summoned the worgen."

The warlock's expression was blank, but Kra knew the question mattered him deeply. He gave a deep sigh and said: "First of all, I was not THE apprentice of Arugal. I was AN apprentice of his. My main role in his rule over the forest was creating the shackles used to keep the worgen under his rule. The one you could call the apprentice of Arugal would be Esca. He had a much more active role, though you on the forsaken side might not have seen him.

To answer your question, it was one of the luckiest things in my life. Me and Esca were both rogue spellcasters, hiding in Dalaran-ruled lands. We didn't stand a chance. After Silverpine forest became too dangerous to hide, both of us tried to hide in the keep that later became Shadowfang. Of course we didn't know of each other, but we arrived there around the same time.

Before long, a spellcaster there found out of us, sensing the dark magics we had used. We were able to hide in the vine cellar, inside an empty barrel of Startholmean wine. We hid for days, not knowing Arugal was meanwhile slaughtering the other inhabitants of the castle. Finally we crawled up, willing to take any punishment they planned to us, favouring to keep our lives. It didn't take long for us to find out the castle had changed it's owner..."

The warlock did not continue, and Kra did not urge him to.

Suddenly the orc turned around, readying her claws and startling herself by growling. Something had moved between the trees behind her. She crouched her back and peered her eyes, looking for the thing.

Her search was interrupted when Laterbrus said: "It's a worg. Invite it here, it won't harm us." Kra was very confused, but the order forced her to say a "come here" to the trees. Instead of common or orcish, however, her mouth spit out a growl and a hiss, reminding her of the way Kille sounded.

A black worg stepped out from between the pines. It was quite similar to Kille, though it was smaller and more brutal-looking. It walked to Kra and tilted its head in a way that melted the heart of anyone possessing one.

Laterbrus spoke, telling: "Worgs and Worgen have a connection I've noticed before. That's how your mount was so easily pacified earlier. I think that the Worgs may actually originate from the Worgen homeworld."

Kra just smiled, patting the worg in the head. She decided to call it Kalle.

Some hours later Renthlos had just finished his watch shift, waking up miss Ashbank, who had the last one.

Ashbank rose up, yawning loudly and watching around her. She suddenly noticed a black worg sleeping next to Kra'Osha. She blinked twice and gave Renthlos a questioning gaze. The worgen said: "Laterbrus explained she tamed it during her watch."

Ashbank didn't know how to react, so she decided not to. Instead she turned to the worgen and asked the question that had been burning her for some time.

"Why does he help your clan? What's in it for him?"

The worgen took its time, sitting down near the campfire and positioning itself well, then it lay down and said: "He has his reasons. We have some information he wants."

"How does he know you'll give it to him?"

"Unlike the races of your world, we Worgen can not decieve. We can not lie. We can not betray our word. Our elder has promised Laterbrus his information, if he succeeds, he'll have it."

Miss Ashbank looked into the distance for a moment and then asked: "Do you think he'll keep his word? Do you think he'll release me and the orc when you've gotten back to your world?"

She noticed the worg purposely turned away from her as it answered: "That is none of our business. Whether he releases you and her is his decision. But to relieve your mind, keeping someone under methamorphis, which is what allows him to control you, may result in very bad side effects for him after a long time. He'll release you before suffering them."

Ashbank didn't want to disturb the Worgen's sleep, so she kept watch as she was supposed to. She kept wondering to herself. Who were they after? Where was that someone running to? How had he or she known of the book? How long would it take of her good time to get this done?

And most importantly, what more could be in store for her?

About when Ashbank woke up the others, in the mountains north of Silverpine fate was answering Miss Ashbank's last question.

A black-robed wizard climbed atop the giant boulder and sat down, heaving. He watched at the lands of Silverpine; rotting pines and destroyed farms, desolated graves and their former inhabitants, worgs and bears. He closed his eyes and listened as a giant insect leg hit the rock behind him, digging into the stone and creating a large crack.

He rose up and turned around. A nerubian. A dead one to be precise.

Eight more rotting insect legs pierced the stone further back.

Three dead nerubians to be perfectly precise.

"What news from Shadowfang?"

Three dead nerubians and a necromancer.

The wizard bowed and said: "Arugal has fallen, but asks for the aid of the Scourge to defeat our common enemies from beyond his defeat."

A man stepped from behind the nerubians. Not a single patch of his skin was visible. He was wearing a black robe with silver stiching, black mageweave boots, metal gloves with amethyst sockets, shoulder pads that were made of both bone and cloth, a black hood and a mask that covered his face. The mask's eye holes glowed with an eerie purple glow and the voice from behind it sounded artificial and otherworldly, as if the speaker had died years ago.

"You have been expected. Follow me."