Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 07-16-2007, 04:19 PM

Loremaster

Default Kil'jaeden as a content raid boss?

I know this is semi old but for those who never saw the actual page.

Old 07-16-2007, 04:28 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

I don't really care anymore. Blizzard can do whatever the **** they want now.

Kil'Jaeden can't be much more powerful than Archimonde, who was already bitch-slapped.

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:44 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Blizzard can just go... jump in a hole.

It's not that I care about Kil'jaeden. But they've lost all respect for their characters. Every WarCraft 3 character is just another WoW boss for the chopping block. Illidan is Boba Fett! Indeed. Illidan is just like Boba Fett. He only has 3 lines. Oh wait, no he doesn't. All he does is look cool and sound cool... no character development whatsoever... hmm... wait, that's not true either. Well I guess he's not in the games that much then. Oh wait, they just designed an entire WoW expansion around him... er... so I guess that's not true either.

Woops.

Tell me, Chris Metzen, as I know you can read this! (okay maybe not) How the hell is Illidan like Boba Fett?

I really don't like Tom Chilton. I'm beginning to think this whole attitude stems from the new additions to their lead production team. Here's to Pardo keeping everyone in check for StarCraft 2's plot line at least.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:48 PM

Loremaster

The bright side of all of this is, that if they want Illidan alive for Warcraft Iv, he will be alive.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:55 PM

Eternal

They only get the "Oh! He didn't really die!" card so many times. Kel'Thuzad and Kael are already ranked against them. Illidan, on the other hand, has pretty much run his course. He became one of the most powerful being alive, and had a nice little stint as King of the World. Particularly since Maiev and Akama - characters with actual stakes involved - were actively involved with his death, I'm fairly certain that we can confidently mourn for Illidan.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:09 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Illidan IS Boba Fett- no one with half a brain finds him an interesting character, only the idiot fanboiz.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:37 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Boba Fett is cool, he is not interesting.

Illidan IS interesting. He is an actual character.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:42 PM

Loremaster

Boba Fett didn't really die by the Sarlaac either....guess this means Illidan feigned death.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:47 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzuki View Post
Boba Fett didn't really die by the Sarlaac either....guess this means Illidan feigned death.
I was just going to say that when I read the above posts.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:56 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Kil'Jaeden's gonna be a raid boss? IN BURNING CRUSADE?! Now that's rediculous. With Archimonde we had help from the World Tree, but if Kil'Jaeden dies, what'll happen to the BL?
Old 07-17-2007, 08:46 AM

I read it in a different way actaully... It sounds to me like they want introduce new guys with a high role in the burning legion, who shall have a major role like Kil'jaeden (probably only a BIT lower than himself), but not that Kil'jaeden himself is a raid boss and only those new bosses would be raid encounters... maybe just me... <.<'
Old 07-17-2007, 09:53 AM

Loremaster

If Kil'jaeden dies, the Burning Legion as we know it might be no more. Unless Sargeras comes back or they introduce more meat for the leet raiders. My guess is that Velen will become an Eredar Warlock and GO INSANE!!!! Then we will have to down him too.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:12 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Illidan IS Boba Fett- no one with half a brain finds him an interesting character, only the idiot fanboiz.
Illidan was an integral part of the night elf history, and was pretty much the star of Frozen Throne. The Boba Fett comparison, frankly, baffles me. I mean, fine, he's no titan, he didn't MAKE worlds, or anything, but he has largely shaped the history of Azeroth, and I don't see how you can rationalize your way out of that. If he's small potatoes, then what the hell is Arthas?

Boba Fett was a cool design for a fairly generic do-nothing role. Illidan was a cool design for a pretty important role.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:45 PM

Loremaster

I noticed he said "in the big scheme of World of Warcraft." He didn't say "of Warcraft". So it might be in context of the game World of Warcraft, and not the entire series.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephalim View Post
Illidan was an integral part of the night elf history, and was pretty much the star of Frozen Throne. The Boba Fett comparison, frankly, baffles me. I mean, fine, he's no titan, he didn't MAKE worlds, or anything, but he has largely shaped the history of Azeroth, and I don't see how you can rationalize your way out of that. If he's small potatoes, then what the hell is Arthas?

Boba Fett was a cool design for a fairly generic do-nothing role. Illidan was a cool design for a pretty important role.
His role basically involved him crying and getting into trouble.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:48 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Congrats Omacron, these last posts of yours have officially put you on my "To kill" list.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:57 PM

Loremaster

Illidan stood out from the other characters in this: unlike most of the villains, he fell into the category of still thinking he's morally right. Sure, the Legion thinks it's "right", as does the Lich King in a way, but part of that involves their willingness to just boldly decide that morality is an aberration in and of itself and should be deliberately cast aside. Illidan's still governed by his preconceptions of right and wrong as one raised among the Kaldorei. As a result, whenever he did something questionable, and started explaining himself to Malfurion and Tyrande, it almost felt like he wasn't really even talking to them. It was more like he needed to hear himself say those things to remain convinced that he was in the right. Illidan was interesting because he deceived and betrayed himself more than he did anyone else. He'd do what he thought was right, pushing the limits of morality, until he finally did something outright terrible, and then he'd laps into a fit of trying to convince himself that he'd had no choice but to cross that line. Most of the other villains never bothered looking back once they crossed that line. As soon as they became monsters, they crashed headlong into just not caring anymore.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:23 PM

Eternal

Quote:
I'm not going to debate whether or not you should like him, but to shrug him off as a fan favourite sidebar extra is just delusional. If by "getting into trouble" you mean amassing an army, assaulting the most powerful being in Azeroth, taking over Outland, creating the new Well of Eternity and halting the demon invasion, then yes, basically that's all he did.

I'm a little amazed that we're actually having this discussion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzuki View Post
I noticed he said "in the big scheme of World of Warcraft." He didn't say "of Warcraft". So it might be in context of the game World of Warcraft, and not the entire series.
But even then, almost all the content of the Burning Crusade could trace its ties back to Illidan. Seriously, in terms of World of Warcraft, Illidan is quite possibly the most important character anyone has fought. The only contenders would be Kel'Thuzad and C'Thun. Even Hakkar hasn't made as big an impact as Illidan.

Last edited by Nephalim; 07-17-2007 at 07:28 PM..
Old 07-18-2007, 05:18 AM

Quote:
I'm not going to debate whether or not you should like him, but to shrug him off as a fan favourite sidebar extra is just delusional. If by "getting into trouble" you mean amassing an army, assaulting the most powerful being in Azeroth, taking over Outland, creating the new Well of Eternity and halting the demon invasion, then yes, basically that's all he did.
He assaulted a dragon aspect? No, he assaulted a little emo guy in a snowball fight.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:18 AM

Quote:
He assaulted a dragon aspect? No, he assaulted a little emo guy in a snowball fight.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:21 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Actually, I was referring to the attack on Ner'zhul using the Eye of Sargeras in Dalaran.

Seriously, Omacron, feel free to not like Illidan, or think that his fandom is without merit, however if you're honestly trying to argue that he isn't a very significant character in Warcraft, you (are mildly delusional, and) don't have a leg to stand on.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:54 AM

Mountain Giant

Quote:

Well, to be fair, I think Metzen was being fairly glib when he made the comparison. I don't think he seriously thought it through, otherwise, as you demonstrate, he would've seen how poor an analogy it was. But there's the chance that he did, and that he seriously thinks that Illidan is about as significant as Boba Fett. Reading the excerpt from the article, then, is even more disturbing. If they think it's not a big deal to throw Illidan to the dogs, then how far are they going to go? They mention Kil'jaeden- that's about as high as you can go. Are they really that desperate for raid content that they need to bring him in?
Old 07-18-2007, 08:04 AM

Eternal

Well, Azshara and Deathwing, while perhaps right not up there with Kil'jaeden, could also be converted into bosses, though it would be a substantial travesty mostly because their resurgance would deserve much more than a patch preview to cover the story. Zul'jin is bad enough, but frankly, and I know this will draw complaints, HE's more of a Boba Fett than Illidan - cool design, but fairly minor role in the story yet a huge fan following (which led to an expanded background role). Azshara and Deathwing, however, are huge characters who could, foreseeably, become bosses. With all the talk of the Nightmare in the Emerald Dream, too, there's the possibility that Ysera could become corrupted and we'd need to fight her, as well.

It also wouldn't take too much work to have to fight the Pantheon, as well. They've mentioned the titans returning as part of the Uldaman storyline.

For the record, I think all of these are bad ideas.

Something to note, though, is the way they've started doing raids. There were a lot of people who noted previously that most of the new content for World of Warcraft had only tenuous ties to the rest of the franchise, particularly in characters. Until Kel'Thuzad, every boss before him was previously unheard of. But SINCE Kel'Thuzad, we've been given major, famous characters from previous installments, and it seems to be a trend their set on continuing. However, the old system was never particularly a complaint of mine. I mean, sure, Edwin VanCleef or Arugal were new characters, but they were given elaborate - and good - stories to back them up. What they did with Ras Frostwhisper (taking a previously minor character, virtually an extra, and giving him an elaborate - and good - backstory) was also fairly ingenious.

The new system turns this on its head. They seem to think we'll be satisfied just by seeing old faces without letting us know why and how they're there. So we get major classic characters with no backstory. I don't know about the rest of you, but I vastly prefer new or previously minor characters WITH one.

Last edited by Nephalim; 07-18-2007 at 08:10 AM..
Old 07-18-2007, 08:08 AM

Elune

The second thread I made on these forums was about the possibility that all aspects would be raid bosses at some point.

People laughed a lot.

Now that seems probable to me.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:07 AM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

The entire Furbolg race.... HAS GONE INSANE!