Scrolls of Lore Forums

Scrolls of Lore Forums (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/index.php)
-   World of WarCraft Discussion (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Early EK concept map (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/showthread.php?t=215319)

Reignac 11-30-2013 03:17 PM

Early EK concept map

So I was at a bookstore earlier today flipping through the Art of Blizzard book when I found this map I hadn't seen before. I have no idea whether it was made for WC2, WC3, or WoW but a lot of things in it stood out to me.

I apologize for the quality, it's just a photo taken from my phone:

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/5929/p1j8.jpg
http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/5392/tfu2.jpg

The first things I noticed were the names on the left side. Kalimdor is "Calendore." Another thing is that Lordaeron is labeled "of Quel'Thalas." Was that the planned name of the continent at the time? Speaking of Quel'Thalas, it was going to have a world tree in it. And Grim Batol was goblin-controlled?

And lastly, I apologize for the blur on this, but in the mountains under the Plaguelands is the Dark Portal of all things.

Ma Caque Attaque 11-30-2013 03:24 PM

Wow, that is pretty damn neat.

There's Zul'Dare again..... WTF happened to that place?

Strange coicidence. The Pilgrims in Ashenvale, Gilneans, are experts in troll stuff. I always figured that's how they learned to be such experts. ZD.

No Gilneas, Dalaran in it's place. That's cool.

A world tree in ZA?

To Valganoc? Is that what it says? What does it say under Lordaeron (on the continent itself) can't make it out.

Reignac 11-30-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ma Caque Attaque (Post 1013789)
To Valganoc? Is that what it says?

To Valgarde. That's the Alliance town in Howling Fjord.

Quote:

What does it say under Lordaeron (on the continent itself) can't make it out.
It says "(Necropolis)", if you mean the part near where Undercity should be.

Revenant 11-30-2013 03:27 PM

It looks like Quel'Danas was Quel'Danas early on. There was the Sunwell Grove, which was on a nameless island that was part of Quel'Thalas, and there was Quel'Danas in the RPG, which was the main dragonhawk roost. So, they were always the same location? Hm.

The world tree might be Seradane.

Ma Caque Attaque 11-30-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reignac (Post 1013791)
To Valgarde. That's the Alliance town in Howling Fjord.

That's a good sign. I like that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reignac (Post 1013791)
It says "(Necropolis)", if you mean the part near where Undercity should be.

Yeah, that's it.

Now under Tarren MIll, are they calling those islands Tol Borad?

And below the Badlands script, does that say Mao Elves?

Reignac 11-30-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ma Caque Attaque (Post 1013800)
Now under Tarren MIll, are they calling those islands Tol Borad?

I think so. I didn't actually buy the book and am just going off memory to figure out the blurs, sorry.

Quote:

And below the Badlands script, does that say Mao Elves?
It's "Mad Elves."

Ma Caque Attaque 11-30-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reignac (Post 1013803)
I think so. I didn't actually buy the book and am just going off memory to figure out the blurs, sorry.

It's "Mad Elves."

Ahh, just didn't look like they spelt it as Tol Borad. Maybe called it something else. A pity.

Mad Elves?

Oh now that's interesting.... interesting....

Genesis 11-30-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ma Caque Attaque (Post 1013789)
There's Zul'Dare again..... WTF happened to that place?

I asked Loreology whether the "Isle of Purgation" is the same as "Zul'dare." I have not yet heard back.

Quote:

No Gilneas, Dalaran in it's place. That's cool.
How is that cool? It's actually closer to where it originally was on the WC2 map:
http://static3.wikia.nocookie.net/__.../d/df/War2.jpg

Quote:

A world tree in ZA?
There's one in the troll hinterlands, so it's not that far-fetched.

Ma Caque Attaque 11-30-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 1013818)
I asked Loreology whether the "Isle of Purgation" is the same as "Zul'dare." I have not yet heard back.

I've asked as well, no answer back yet as well. Personally, I think it was destroyed in the Cata. Would've been interesting to have had trolls attacking during the Gilnean starting zone.

Quote:

How is that cool? It's actually closer to where it originally was on the WC2 map:
Because evidently there never was a Gilneas. Or for that matter, Alterac but the Alterac mountains. Just interesting to see how they were working out the human kingdoms and just who and where they would end up.

Quote:

There's one in the troll hinterlands, so it's not that far-fetched.
Didn't think it was farfectched. Just thought it was interesting that they had the world tree in QT before moving it south.

Genesis 11-30-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ma Caque Attaque (Post 1013827)
I've asked as well, no answer back yet as well. Personally, I think it was destroyed in the Cata. Would've been interesting to have had trolls attacking during the Gilnean starting zone.

Trolls would have been a much better option than the ettin and ogres. :sweatdrop

Quote:

Because evidently there never was a Gilneas. Or for that matter, Alterac but the Alterac mountains. Just interesting to see how they were working out the human kingdoms and just who and where they would end up.
I doubt there was never a Gilneas, especially given its presence in Warcraft 2. It's much like WoW where Gilneas was there but inaccessible.

Ma Caque Attaque 11-30-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 1013873)
Trolls would have been a much better option than the ettin and ogres. :sweatdrop

I doubt there was never a Gilneas, especially given its presence in Warcraft 2. It's much like WoW where Gilneas was there but inaccessible.

If you think about it. It would have made for great foreshadowing and tying in for MoP.

The trolls of Zul'Dare, their home destroyed, moved into Gilneas in an attempt to take that as their own- added hook Gilneas was part of the ZD troll empire before the Gilneans pushed them out to that island and they've been furious ever since, only to be in the middle of the war between the Gilneans and the Forsaken.

A triple threat over Gilneas.

Then after being expelled, the ZD trolls joined with the Zandalari and would've been a great story hook for the Gilneans in MoP. The ZD made a deal with the Zanda. "We help you with what's going down in MoP and you'll help us take back Gilneas. Because all land is troll land."

And the Gilneans would do what it takes to stop the Zanda and the ZD trolls.

MisterCrow 11-30-2013 05:07 PM

Shit I might just buy this book just to have access to the maps.

Revenant 11-30-2013 05:37 PM

The Collector's Edition "making of" DVDs have similar things.

Temo 11-30-2013 06:04 PM

I remember a dark portal around western plaguelands on the alpha pics.

Reignac 11-30-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterCrow (Post 1013936)

Shit I might just buy this book just to have access to the maps.

This was the only map I saw. :(

Cemotucu 11-30-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Temo (Post 1013992)

Likely the Portal used by KT and Arthas to communicate with Archimonde. I think it was owned by the fel Blackrock that lived in Alterac.

Temo 11-30-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cemotucu (Post 1014106)
Likely the Portal used by KT and Arthas to communicate with Archimonde. I think it was owned by the fel Blackrock that lived in Alterac.

Actually, Google sent to an old thread in this same forums, about the dark portal i talk about xD

http://www.scrollsoflore.com/forums/...?t=4710&page=3

Second pic first post xD

Leviathon 11-30-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Temo (Post 1013992)

Dark Portals were used in the alpha and early beta to show where instances would be. It was a neat way to see instance ideas that got dropped such as how there was a instance that originally was in Azshara at the Bay of Storms.

Reignac 12-01-2013 12:56 AM

I wish I had taken a picture of the southern parts. Next time I stop by Barnes & Noble I'll try to remember to.

I think the "Lonely Church" and "Ruined Temple" pointed out in the Plaguelands were what became Light's Hope Chapel.

spidey1980 12-01-2013 07:01 AM

The World Tree belongs to the Blood Elves, now and forever!

Avon 12-01-2013 12:14 PM

Interesting. I wish the southern continent was a bit skinnier like in the picture. There'd be a few less filler mountain ranges.

Kir the Wizard 12-01-2013 12:15 PM

I'm not sure about the timeline. Plaguelands were at "Tirisfal" during the TFT era. But it looks a bit too warped for WoW OR WC3...

Genesis 12-01-2013 03:44 PM

I just noticed the cool placement of the "OLD ROCK WALL" just south of the Aerie Peak and north of Stromgarde, which I assume was meant to be Thoradin's Wall. That placement actually makes more sense than the current one between Arathi Highlands and Hillsbrad Foothills.

Aneurysm 12-01-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Temo (Post 1014112)
Actually, Google sent to an old thread in this same forums, about the dark portal i talk about xD

http://www.scrollsoflore.com/forums/...?t=4710&page=3

Second pic first post xD

Bitchin'. I remember that.

I wish I remember how I got the alpha client to work, though.

DerpiusMaximus 12-01-2013 05:27 PM

http://zaphoyd.com/wowcemaps/

I heard you like concept maps.