Scrolls of Lore Forums

Scrolls of Lore Forums (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/index.php)
-   StarCraft Discussion (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Legacy of the Void cinematic hype! (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/showthread.php?t=217276)

Noitora 09-13-2015 10:35 AM

Legacy of the Void cinematic hype!

http://www.twitch.tv/starcraft

It's happening now. Go go go

Lon-ami 09-13-2015 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noitora (Post 1363656)
http://www.twitch.tv/starcraft

It's happening now. Go go go

Why today? Was there any event? o_O

Noitora 09-13-2015 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lon-ami (Post 1363666)
Why today? Was there any event? o_O

It's the finals for the EU tourny before Blizzcon. They put the cinematics there.

handclaw 09-13-2015 11:22 AM

The cinematic is now on the starcraft channel, too.

Omacron 09-13-2015 11:35 AM

It's a very well done cinematic (also, for some reason I didn't realize that, like WoD, it launches like a few days after fucking Blizzcon) but knowing what I know about the plot (admittedly circa 2012) I find it to be a little... nonindicative of what happens. It's really cool if you want to see badass protoss fight #savage zerg though.

Insane Guy of Doom 09-13-2015 12:16 PM

I like how they put such emphasis on how they need the Khala to stand a chance of winning, and then one of the main plot points of LotV will be them losing it, possibly forever.

Also, is the main/narrating protoss supposed to be Artanis? I don't remember him having only one eye?

Leviathon 09-13-2015 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom (Post 1363691)
I like how they put such emphasis on how they need the Khala to stand a chance of winning, and then one of the main plot points of LotV will be them losing it, possibly forever.

Also, is the main/narrating protoss supposed to be Artanis? I don't remember him having only one eye?

http://heroesofthestorm.gamepedia.com/Artanis

Doubt it (that the one eyes protoss is him)

Anansi 09-13-2015 04:19 PM

If you ignore the pompous bullshit voice-over, it's actually a pretty cool battle.

Arakiba 09-13-2015 04:27 PM

Quote:

The VA was pretty clearly Patrick Seitz, and he does voice Artanis, so the narration was him, at least. Whether that remaining protoss was him though, dunno. I don't think Artanis would have been with such a small group.

ARM3481 09-13-2015 04:46 PM

Quote:

The one-eyed protoss is just wearing regular zealot armor like the rest, so even if the narrator is Artanis, he's probably not one of the protoss being shown. The art we've seen has Artanis wearing some sort of fancier armor in LotV, presumably associated with his rank as Hierarch.

Genesis 09-13-2015 06:17 PM

That cinematic amounts to a whole lot of nothing. Just eye candy without substance.

Gurzog 09-13-2015 06:45 PM

meh.

it was shit. gonna buy the game for the campaign

might buy the digital deluxe for tartanis in heroes. (and mount) but beyond that meh. starcraft is really just meh.

Revenant 09-13-2015 07:07 PM

I want to think that this is where the teleporting protoss from the mothership with Artanis yelling on it ended up. It could easily be anywhere.

In the game it would probably go This --> Whatever --> Teleporting down to Aiur scene.

Lon-ami 09-14-2015 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handclaw (Post 1363675)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_XwzBMTJaM

The cinematic is now on the starcraft channel, too.

Zero story, and zero protagonists. It's just a fight. Cool, but meh.

Oh yeah they retake Aiur. We already knew this since ages ago. They didn't bother to introduce the planet properly in the cinematic so even then it's kinda ambiguous, which makes it even more meh.

SmokeBlader 09-14-2015 06:02 AM

I'm surprised they didn't shove Kerrigan in to steal the spotlight as usual.

Watching this made me think how much I'd like the Draenei males if they were as slender as the Protoss.

Aldrius 09-14-2015 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 1363757)
That cinematic amounts to a whole lot of nothing. Just eye candy without substance.

Yep. And... more narration telling us.

More telling, less showing. No actual story even. More fanboy pandering in place of actual narrative development.

This is becoming a trend. Even the Heart of the Swarm intro had narration like this. Seriously, why is Blizzard SO DAMN melodramatic in their storytelling these days?

What happened to the callous, cavalier Blizzard?

Anansi 09-14-2015 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aldrius (Post 1363839)

World of Warcraft happened.

Mutterscrawl 09-14-2015 08:00 AM

It looked cool that's all I've ever wanted from -opening- cinematics.

GenyaArikado 09-14-2015 08:01 AM

the only things i liked were seeing the protoss death anim and the archon merging in cgi.

I prefered the HotS one.

Sonneillon 09-14-2015 08:08 AM

Surprised everything isn't covered in creep.

Genesis 09-14-2015 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aldrius (Post 1363839)
Yep. And... more narration telling us.

More telling, less showing. No actual story even. More fanboy pandering in place of actual narrative development.

This is becoming a trend. Even the Heart of the Swarm intro had narration like this. Seriously, why is Blizzard SO DAMN melodramatic in their storytelling these days?

Indeed. The Brood War opening was so brilliant as a storytelling piece that I am beginning to doubt that Blizzard had anything to do with it:

In this short amount of time we see life in the trenches and bunkers for the Terran rank-and-file, the zerg onslaught, the UED's superiority and their callousness and arrogance towards the colonies as symbolized by their looming battlecruiser, two new major characters, one of the most iconic musical pieces of Starcraft synched beautifully to the emotional drama of the scene. The fighting is all at the beginning simply to create a sense of chaos, terror, claustrophobia, and despair. There is talking but it shows and tells us about the unnamed DuGalle and Stukov and their characters. We can tell simply from how they interact that DuGalle's character commands Stukov's, and that Stukov is a major part of DuGalle's plans. There is a lot that we don't know from this scene, but it masterfully sets us up to learn.

Ku'ja 09-14-2015 01:11 PM

Glorious opening trailer for sure.

Insane Guy of Doom 09-14-2015 01:12 PM

While perhaps not from a general overview of the game point, I think the trailer does work well as the opening for the story.

From what we've learned at BlizzCon, we can gather LotV opens in media res with the protoss reclaiming Auir, only for Amon to show up and corrupt the Khala, kicking the real plot into motion. From that perspective the cinematic, especially the reinforcement of how important the Khala is to the protoss' functioning, it works fine.

Leviathon 09-14-2015 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 1363902)
Indeed. The Brood War opening was so brilliant as a storytelling piece that I am beginning to doubt that Blizzard had anything to do with it:

In this short amount of time we see life in the trenches and bunkers for the Terran rank-and-file, the zerg onslaught, the UED's superiority and their callousness and arrogance towards the colonies as symbolized by their looming battlecruiser, two new major characters, one of the most iconic musical pieces of Starcraft synched beautifully to the emotional drama of the scene. The fighting is all at the beginning simply to create a sense of chaos, terror, claustrophobia, and despair. There is talking but it shows and tells us about the unnamed DuGalle and Stukov and their characters. We can tell simply from how they interact that DuGalle's character commands Stukov's, and that Stukov is a major part of DuGalle's plans. There is a lot that we don't know from this scene, but it masterfully sets us up to learn.

I think there's a bit of nostalgia glasses there since there was nothing that special about the Brook War opening and it had just as many cheesy lines.

Aldrius 09-14-2015 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leviathon (Post 1364071)
I think there's a bit of nostalgia glasses there since there was nothing that special about the Brook War opening and it had just as many cheesy lines.

Who said anything about cheesy lines...?

The issue isn't that the narration is cheesy (even if it is) it's that it's lazy, and that it's all about TELLING the audience something. Brood War intro has characters interacting, and telling us things without telling us anything specific.

The Brood War intro is great. Great setting up of atmosphere. Good minimalist use of action and some pretty good character writing.

This is just a trailer where 'hey this is what gameplay might look like if it was pre-rendered!'. I really don't care.