Scrolls of Lore Forums

Scrolls of Lore Forums (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Fallen Expanded Universe (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/showthread.php?t=18200)

Exxile87 10-17-2011 03:57 PM

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Fallen Expanded Universe

Not gonna lie, I was very skeptical of this game. However, a good friend of mine got into the beta and from what he tells me, it's going to be amazing. I will most likely pick it up and play it until GW2 comes out, unless it's even more amazing than it looks, in which case I'll continue playing it.

So the point of this thread? Discuss SWTOR gameplay, lore, your misgivings about the game, hopes, whatever.

Also, ask questions and I'll pass them on to my friend and get you some answers.

Rufin 10-17-2011 04:02 PM

Sith or Jedi? It's the basic question.
I myself will most likely be Jedi.

Mustrum 10-17-2011 04:04 PM

From what I can gather, it seems to be more oriented toward story-telling than gameplay.

Which is fine by me.

Also: SITH ALL THE WAY

I KNOW THAT I PLAY ALLIANCE, SHUT UP.

Rufin 10-17-2011 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustrum (Post 363399)
From what I can gather, it seems to be more oriented toward story-telling than gameplay.

Which is fine by me.

Also: SITH ALL THE WAY

I KNOW THAT I PLAY ALLIANCE, SHUT UP.

I'll play both sides, but Jedi man, who the Hell doesn't want to be a Jedi?

Exxile87 10-17-2011 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rufin (Post 363397)
Sith or Jedi? It's the basic question.
I myself will most likely be Jedi.

Sith Warrior, then branching into Juggernaut. Or Marauder. Sith Warrior, at any rate. Also, I'm going with Sith Pureblood because they look like man'ari eredar in the face.

Erthad 10-17-2011 04:06 PM

I am interested in playing a trooper if I get it but still I don't really know.

They don't have an appearance tab right? That disappoints me.

Mustrum 10-17-2011 04:07 PM

I'm thinking of going pureblood inquisitor.

Because sometimes it just feels good to be evil.

Exxile87 10-17-2011 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erthad (Post 363402)
I am interested in playing a trooper if I get it but still I don't really know.

They don't have an appearance tab right? That disappoints me.

Apparently your gear's appearance adjusts based on your faction, alignment, and advanced class.

Rufin 10-17-2011 04:12 PM

eh, I've had enough evil characters.
Fallout 3, Evil. World of Warcraft, Evil. Black & White (1 and 2), Evil.

time for some good.

Exxile87 10-17-2011 04:13 PM

I have to be moral and good in real life. I usually play evil characters when given the choice.

Erthad 10-17-2011 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exxile87 (Post 363406)
Apparently your gear's appearance adjusts based on your faction, alignment, and advanced class.

I still would much rather have control over it, some armor that I have seen looks awesome others not as much.

Rufin 10-17-2011 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erthad (Post 363411)
I still would much rather have control over it, some armor that I have seen looks awesome others not as much.

I agree with this.

Ruinshin 10-17-2011 04:18 PM

Republic.

With 15 flashpoints at launch ( and all of them with a hero mode for max level) two operations, companions, crafting, space rails combat, Huttball (OMG HUTTBALL) this is going to kick so much ass.

I'm going towards Jedi Consular or Jedi Knight tank spec. Not sure which one yet. I'll be fairly grey, with a penchant towards light side.

If your interested, the internets largest thread on this is actually over at mmo-champion, started by one of the mods by the name of Trollsbane. It has every last bit of information that's not covered by NDA on the first page.

I've been thinking of maybe trying to get a Story Forums guild together, and I might extend it to SoL, but it all depends on if I get enough time.

They have some interesting Guild Rivalry + Guild Ally systems that I've not heard to much about, but it essentially tries to place those guilds on the same server.

As for the way gear looks, well.. Gear matching is only towards the chest piece for colors.

What you can wear is based off of faction, Advanced Class, light/dark/grey.

Titles will be based off of story choices, and what side you play will change the ending of the class story.

They have a space station to launch into Flashpoints from, though as I understand it no real cross server LFG system (which is a plus).

Ohh, and as for appearance.. Not exactly a tab, they have something called modifications. Which means you can keep an older piece of armor, and get better mods. The better mods you get, the better your old piece of gear is. It's essentially an appearance tab, but not quite.

HalfElfDragon 10-17-2011 05:13 PM

I dunno, I've never been fans of how BioWare handled Star Wars in KotOR and in general I don't really like the Old Republic era. I'll wait for the game to come out and for it to get played some before I give it a shot.

Mark_Romaneck 10-17-2011 05:17 PM

I can be a sith and still do more good than those stiff jedis youll see!

Mustrum 10-17-2011 05:18 PM

Does anyone know how open world it is? I mean, will you be able to explore the depths of Nar Shaddaa? Will you be able to make some scenic hikes to the tops of mountains on Alderaan?

ShinMaruku 10-17-2011 05:19 PM

Since the game plays like wow, I got no interest. Sure the IP is great but if I don't care for the game play I skip it.

Faine 10-17-2011 05:20 PM

If I do get the game at some point (which is most likely since I love the Old Republic series), I'll probably be a Sith Inquisitor.

Mustrum 10-17-2011 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_Romaneck (Post 363495)
I can be a sith and still do more good than those stiff jedis youll see!

One of the things I like about the factions is that instead of WoW's ostensibly comparable grey/gray dynamic (which is a lie, but never mind that), in SWTOR they seem to be going for the (in my opinion) more interesting Order vs Chaos dynamic.

Ruinshin 10-17-2011 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustrum (Post 363497)
Does anyone know how open world it is? I mean, will you be able to explore the depths of Nar Shaddaa? Will you be able to make some scenic hikes to the tops of mountains on Alderaan?

Huge worlds. Some of them are the size of 4 or 5 Wow zones, most of them the size of 2 or 3. I hear (but its just a rumor) that one of the planets is the size of Kalimidor alone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mqhct...layer_embedded

Ignore the dumb ass on vent, but.. Here's a video of Tatooine.

Mustrum 10-17-2011 05:29 PM

Holy shit draw distances.

Thank you, Ferlion, you treacherous usurper you.

Exxile87 10-17-2011 05:30 PM

Not gonna lie, the monthly subscription would be a deal breaker for me when compared to GW2, but if I can get in on the beta, I can decide if it's worth it.

Ruinshin 10-17-2011 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustrum (Post 363508)
Holy shit draw distances.

Thank you, Ferlion, you treacherous usurper you.

Yeah, it's intense. I've seen videos of a few small zones, a walk through of a few of the cities.. Its... its huge, and it's to scale (as in, while they don't show everything, when they do show something, they show it as big as it would be in relation to its environment and you.

Also, the cantina have strippers. Of the Alien kind.

Even better, your actually encouraged to explore. They have these things called datacrons littering the world in (static) places that require you to explore, world jump, and the like. Some times you have to exploit your character abilities to get to them (as in, drag a mob over to a cliff and force jump up onto it or something, and thats just an example I've heard used), and they give permanent stat boosts.

Its..Its going to be epic. The Sarlaac pit kicks so much ass.

Mustrum 10-17-2011 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferlion (Post 363514)
Yeah, it's intense. I've seen videos of a few small zones, a walk through of a few of the cities.. Its... its huge, and it's to scale (as in, while they don't show everything, when they do show something, they show it as big as it would be in relation to its environment and you.

Also, the cantina have strippers. Of the Alien kind.

Even better, your actually encouraged to explore. They have these things called datacrons littering the world in (static) places that require you to explore, world jump, and the like. Some times you have to exploit your character abilities to get to them (as in, drag a mob over to a cliff and force jump up onto it or something, and thats just an example I've heard used), and they give permanent stat boosts.

Its..Its going to be epic. The Sarlaac pit kicks so much ass.

My WoW account may experience a small amount of disuse this winter...

Dithon1 10-17-2011 05:38 PM

Most likely will not buy this game, mainly because they've butchered KotOR lore that I actually really like with retcons.