Scrolls of Lore Forums

Scrolls of Lore Forums (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Elder Scrolls - Games and Such (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/showthread.php?t=9753)

Lord Eliphas 02-16-2011 03:13 PM

The Elder Scrolls - Games and Such
 
First off it's nice to heat that Skyrim will be out in "11-11-11" (Urrg, I hate it when they do that), though what's everyones opinons about the Elder Scrolls series to begin with?

Especially with the last two games that became very popular; Morrowind and Oblivion. (Though in all honestly Oblivion seemed to copy its expansions from Morrowind)

What was your experience with the vast ashland of Vvardenfell, who'd ya join, etc?

Same can be said for Oblivion, but factions have little instances within this.
Also: What do you hope Bethseda will make with Skyrim that they haven't already said (dual-wielding, children, etc) but do you think they should have some references to games like Morrowind and Oblivion to fill some lore? Create new factions, or even add a complexity to them.

And because I'm just very excited here are the lyrics of the 'endsong' at the end of the trailer if anyone didn't venture into Youtube or see Bethseda correct all the people.

"Dovahkiin Dovahkiin
Naal ok zin los vahriin
wah dein vokul mahfaeraak ahst vaal
ahrk fin norok paal graan
fod nust hon zindro zaan
Dovahkiin fah hin kogaan mu draal"

Ashendant 02-16-2011 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Eliphas (Post 262728)
First off it's nice to heat that Skyrim will be out in "11-11-11" (Urrg, I hate it when they do that), though what's everyones opinons about the Elder Scrolls series to begin with?

Especially with the last two games that became very popular; Morrowind and Oblivion. (Though in all honestly Oblivion seemed to copy its expansions from Morrowind)

What was your experience with the vast ashland of Vvardenfell, who'd ya join, etc?

Same can be said for Oblivion, but factions have little instances within this.
Also: What do you hope Bethseda will make with Skyrim that they haven't already said (dual-wielding, children, etc) but do you think they should have some references to games like Morrowind and Oblivion to fill some lore? Create new factions, or even add a complexity to them.

And because I'm just very excited here are the lyrics of the 'endsong' at the end of the trailer if anyone didn't venture into Youtube or see Bethseda correct all the people.

"Dovahkiin Dovahkiin
Naal ok zin los vahriin
wah dein vokul mahfaeraak ahst vaal
ahrk fin norok paal graan
fod nust hon zindro zaan
Dovahkiin fah hin kogaan mu draal"

I though it said for the king sometimes that song

In retrospect we should probably ask for a admin to set a forum about other non blizzard series... maybe?

EDIT: The plot is also about a world destroying dragon, except this one is a devourer of time

HalfElfDragon 02-16-2011 03:43 PM

I've never played any games in the series and have heard conflicting opinions that the games are great and that they are terrible.

Reyson 02-16-2011 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon (Post 262742)
I've never played any games in the series and have heard conflicting opinions that the games are great and that they are terrible.

Same here, I'm a pretty big RPGlover, yet I'm a bit embarrased to say I haven't picked up any of them. I got friends who call it(Oblivion) the best RPG ever and some who complain that it was terribly buggy and overall frustrating game. Somehow it just doesn't appeal to me in the way many other RPGs do. I think it's partially because its mainly done in a first person perspective, whilst being mostly melee and partially the overall feel about it that just doesn't feel right. I do hope the new one can change that though.

Ashendant 02-16-2011 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon (Post 262742)
I've never played any games in the series and have heard conflicting opinions that the games are great and that they are terrible.

They are awesome, and for pc even better, there's a reason why the fallout new vegas got extra points in most reviews, the ability to mod the game is very good, and the mod community in bethesda games is strong, so if there's a particular part of the game you don't like, you can bet your ass that there somebody who modded it out for you, or at least tried

Slywyn 02-16-2011 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reyson (Post 262745)
Same here, I'm a pretty big RPGlover, yet I'm a bit embarrased to say I haven't picked up any of them. I got friends who call it(Oblivion) the best RPG ever and some who complain that it was terribly buggy and overall frustrating game. Somehow it just doesn't appeal to me in the way many other RPGs do. I think it's partially because its mainly done in a first person perspective, whilst being mostly melee and partially the overall feel about it that just doesn't feel right. I do hope the new one can change that though.

Cat person vampire assassin that can oneshot you from halfway across the continent with a single sniper bowshot.



No I'm not making that up. At all.

Ashendant 02-16-2011 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reyson (Post 262745)
Same here, I'm a pretty big RPGlover, yet I'm a bit embarrased to say I haven't picked up any of them. I got friends who call it(Oblivion) the best RPG ever and some who complain that it was terribly buggy and overall frustrating game. Somehow it just doesn't appeal to me in the way many other RPGs do. I think it's partially because its mainly done in a first person perspective, whilst being mostly melee and partially the overall feel about it that just doesn't feel right. I do hope the new one can change that though.

You can do it in more cameras is just more convenient in the first person view(and far more personal)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slywyn (Post 262749)
Cat person vampire assassin that can oneshot you from halfway across the continent with a single sniper bowshot.

No I'm not making that up. At all.

I prefer my argonian god of madness tyvm

Mark_Romaneck 02-16-2011 04:11 PM

I played Oblivion with the wrong expectations I guess.

I entered it like, wishing to be blown away by character depth and an intricate plot.

Well if that is in the game I never saw it because well, it was so open and the combat was weird and the dialoge option made me wanna cry and the PC seemed just... off somehow.

But some other people have loved its complete open world

Ashendant 02-16-2011 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_Romaneck (Post 262753)
I played Oblivion with the wrong expectations I guess.

I entered it like, wishing to be blown away by character depth and an intricate plot.

Well if that is in the game I never saw it because well, it was so open and the combat was weird and the dialoge option made me wanna cry and the PC seemed just... off somehow.

But some other people have loved its complete open world

The main plot is not the most interesting, kinda hard to chew but not most intricate but the background is so fucking delicious

also
Sheogorath is awesomehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3MlM...eature=related

Lord Eliphas 02-16-2011 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_Romaneck (Post 262753)
I played Oblivion with the wrong expectations I guess.

I entered it like, wishing to be blown away by character depth and an intricate plot.

Well if that is in the game I never saw it because well, it was so open and the combat was weird and the dialoge option made me wanna cry and the PC seemed just... off somehow.

But some other people have loved its complete open world


Get morrowind. It's MUCH better than Oblivion, in terms of actual story and plot.

I mean really the factions(House Redoran, Hlaalu and Telvanni) were really an intericate part of the story, the plot, etc.

That and who doesn't love the Morag Tong?

Ashendant 02-16-2011 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Eliphas (Post 262765)
Get morrowind. It's MUCH better than Oblivion, in terms of actual story and plot.

I mean really the factions(House Redoran, Hlaalu and Telvanni) were really an intericate part of the story, the plot, etc.

That and who doesn't love the Morag Tong?

Honestly i spent my whole time plundering the desert city in the game, than actually play it

Altrough i prefer oblivion, but i love the shivering isles more

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs47/f/20...e_by_fkfkk.jpg

Lord Eliphas 02-16-2011 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashendant (Post 262768)
Honestly i spent my whole time plundering the desert city in the game, than actually play it

Altrough i prefer oblivion, but i love the shivering isles more

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs47/f/20...e_by_fkfkk.jpg

It's somewhat a copy out of from Morrowind's 3rd Expansion, where you become a servant of Hircine. And Face him.

Ashendant 02-16-2011 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Eliphas (Post 262770)
It's somewhat a copy out of from Morrowind's 3rd Expansion, where you become a servant of Hircine. And Face him.

It was just a test so he could have a worthy foe.

Funny we won't see much of morrowind again, the Ministry of truth crashed(that giant floating meteor), and the argonians conquered the dark elves, talk about delicious delicious Irony

Lord Eliphas 02-16-2011 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashendant (Post 262771)
I thought that was a test...

EDIT: Yes it's a test nothing like the Shievering Isles

Orly? Which is why you met a daedric lord, did everything he did, basically became 'tainted' by that world and became apart of his plans?

Yeah...nothing like it except the whole plot and quests. The only difference is that the Shivering Isles tries to 're-introduce' the 'factions are important' aspect. But it doesn't do it successfully.


Unless the House of Mania and Dementia had some purpose?

EDIT;

We won't see much of Vivec man, or Vvardenfell. We might see Solestiem or even an Argonian-run Morrowind. Example; what happen to House Redoran? The Tribunal Temple? etc

Ashendant 03-12-2011 12:18 PM

There official trailer of Skyrim has been released and it looks awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPPF9...eature=related



EDIT: also the music with lyrics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK1jb...eature=related
Quote:

For the king! For the king!

For the sake of Skyrim!

For our land, for our homes!

For the Hrothgar's Blood!

For the Nords, for the Gods

For the sole single son!

Dovahkiin, our king

Who will dawn in

FIRE!

Lord Eliphas 03-12-2011 04:13 PM

Actually you have the incorrect lyrics, which is actually sung in Draconic language which has been known since the first trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkELb...eature=related

Ashendant 03-12-2011 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Eliphas (Post 267349)
Actually you have the incorrect lyrics, which is actually sung in Draconic language which has been known since the first trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkELb...eature=related

It really says that in english maybe it's supposed to sound like it's sung in english and read a different thing

EDIT: 2 songs in one?

Wabbajack 03-12-2011 04:43 PM

It is draconic and not supposed to sound like english.
When you know what is sung you probably stop hearing english words. It's perfectly normal to misinterpreted words in unknown languages as words you know. Dovahkiin for example really sounds like "For the King" if you do not know what is sung.

Ashendant 03-12-2011 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wabbajack (Post 267352)
It is draconic and not supposed to sound like english.
When you know what is sung you probably stop hearing english words. It's perfectly normal to misinterpreted words in unknown languages as words you know. Dovahkiin for example really sounds like "For the King" if you do not know what is sung.

I'm pretty sure the whole song is in english, i mean if i could only hear some parts in english, fine it would be in Bethesda made up language, but it's clearly says
...For the sake of skyrim, for our land for our home, for the High Hrothgar blood,... for the sole single son...

The fact that you can hear the name of a ingame location in the song in english even make it more believable that the song has double lyrics

edit: no it's not skyrim the ingame location that i mentioned in the song

Nozdormu 03-13-2011 01:16 AM

Look at the comments on the video, Ashendant isn't the only person hearing the english lyrics..

Lord Eliphas 03-13-2011 11:55 AM

Quote:

The fact that you can hear the name of a ingame location in the song in english even make it more believable that the song has double lyrics
Actually, no. The Draconic lyrics are 'offical', it is a poem about the legend of "Dovahkiin". You can check on the Elder Scrolls wiki to clarify, but what you've mentioned is basically our first guess.

We were wrong, and will continue to be wrong if we think it is in english.

That and the king is dead before the Dovahkiin even realizes he is the Dovahkiin.

Ashendant 03-13-2011 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Eliphas (Post 267438)
Actually, no. The Draconic lyrics are 'offical', it is a poem about the legend of "Dovahkiin". You can check on the Elder Scrolls wiki to clarify, but what you've mentioned is basically our first guess.

We were wrong, and will continue to be wrong if we think it is in english.

That and the king is dead before the Dovahkiin even realizes he is the Dovahkiin.

I'm sorry but not, at most it's in both english and draconic, i can hear almost the entirety of the song in English if i'm not listening, there are only 2 lines that i don't understand if i don't focus

Shaman 03-13-2011 12:42 PM

Use this in emergencies only!

http://instantbutton.me/buttons/fus_...225173413.html

Ashendant 03-13-2011 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarahmoo (Post 267454)

ok... that scream always sends shivers down my spine

Wabbajack 03-13-2011 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashendant (Post 267452)
I'm sorry but not, at most it's in both english and draconic, i can hear almost the entirety of the song in English if i'm not listening, there are only 2 lines that i don't understand if i don't focus

You are wrong, stop imagining stuff...


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.