Scrolls of Lore Forums

Scrolls of Lore Forums (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/index.php)
-   World of WarCraft Discussion (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Unofficial Warlords of Draenor Thread III: The Garrisoning (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/showthread.php?t=215909)

CosmicGuitars 04-16-2014 05:29 PM

Nothing really interesting, yet, but it was a 3 GB patch so who knows what'll seep out of it.

Noitora 04-16-2014 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Falarson (Post 1104384)
Every author makes a story for his own liking, or his demographic. There are other games which do the feminist thing better than Warcraft.

Except that Blizzard prides itself on being an inclusive gaming company.

Insane Guy of Doom 04-16-2014 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CosmicGuitars (Post 1104389)
Nothing really interesting, yet, but it was a 3 GB patch so who knows what'll seep out of it.

They've made a remedy to the challenge mode complaints at least. Now anyone who got a realm best title will get a "Mistwalker" title in WoD.

Also it looks like major npcs like Yrel and Durotan will show up at your garrison.

Falarson 04-16-2014 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nazja (Post 1104388)
Now, the chopper and ridiculing the devs? That's really not necessary.

This is Blizzard we're talking about. Metal is absolutely necessary. What are you guys even on to? It has always been this way, like, since forever.

Blizzard is pretty much defined by metal and macho themes. It's in their blood.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noitora (Post 1104391)
Except that Blizzard prides itself on being an inclusive gaming company.

[citation needed]

Warlock 04-16-2014 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom (Post 1104392)
Also it looks like major npcs like Yrel and Durotan will show up at your garrison.

I still wonder how much of that stuff is placeholder. They had Bolvar in there for awhile too :P

Nazja 04-16-2014 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Falarson (Post 1104394)
This is Blizzard we're talking about. Metal is absolutely necessary. What are you guys even on to? It has always been this way, like, since forever.

I meant JP with that. ;)

There's no need to ridicule Metzen. :P

Insane Guy of Doom 04-16-2014 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warlock (Post 1104395)
I still wonder how much of that stuff is placeholder. They had Bolvar in there for awhile too :P

Bolvar was a weird follower thing. Yrel and Durotan are apparently "cosmetic phases"

Cosmetic - Durotan at Garrison Location
Cosmetic - See Yrel at Alliance Garrison Outpost

Westlee 04-16-2014 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Falarson (Post 1104394)

Nothing metal about StarCraft. Except Tychis, may he rest in peace.

Falarson 04-16-2014 05:34 PM

Anyway, about the new build, it seems like they're making the Arakkoa civilization based on the Hindu culture. That's neat. I just wonder how that would affect the Naga later on.

Skullcrusha 04-16-2014 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Westlee (Post 1104399)

Beer drinking biker badass? Pretty metal too me (The whole vulture deal).

Insane Guy of Doom 04-16-2014 05:35 PM

So the creators/destroys thing appear to be called "Destructors' and "Primals" now. Also elemental furys are common enough on Draenor that certain followers have a "bonus damage against furys" perk.

Westlee 04-16-2014 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skullcrusha (Post 1104402)
Beer drinking biker badass? Pretty metal too me (The whole vulture deal).

Oh, one unit. Forgive me for being mistaken.

Falarson 04-16-2014 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Westlee (Post 1104399)

Starcraft is Cowboys in space. That's southern rock, but hey, most metal fans I know are into Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Allman Brothers and the like.

In fact, every Blizzard franchise reflects a rock/metal subgenre:

Rock & Roll Racing: Self explanatory. I love me some drivin' with Paranoid playing in the background.
Lost Vikings: Folk/Viking Metal.
Starcraft: Southern/Hard Rock.
Warcraft: Classic Heavy Metal.
Diablo: Death/Black Metal.
Hearthstone: Power Metal ala Blind Guardian.
Heroes of the Storm: All of the above :P

Insane Guy of Doom 04-16-2014 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Falarson (Post 1104401)
Anyway, about the new build, it seems like they're making the Arakkoa civilization based on the Hindu culture. That's neat. I just wonder how that would affect the Naga later on.

I'm guessing naga will just be a continuation of what we've seen of Highbourne culture, maybe with some old god worship/influence mixed in.

Skullcrusha 04-16-2014 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom (Post 1104404)
So the creators/destroys thing appear to be called "Destructors' and "Primals" now. Also elemental furys are common enough on Draenor that certain followers have a "bonus damage against furys" perk.

Destructors? Oh god...

Genesis 04-16-2014 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Falarson (Post 1104386)
Maybe. There are comics like Crossed which appeal to those who like extreme gore, for example. I find it disgusting, but I wouldn't deny other people their right to enjoy it just because I don't like it.

Crossed is not the largest MMORPG on the market. It's not meant to be casual friendly with mass appeal to maintain subscriptions. Wouldn't you think that the circumstances of a niche comic and a popular, mass marketed MMORPG would be different? Wouldn't you think that there are issues regarding then what sort of messages the game sends to mostly cis-gendered heterosexual males regarding issues of gender? Wouldn't you likewise think that telling women basically all of this in regards to the largest MMORPG is problematic of systemic sexism? You may as well advertise WoW as "Dear Women: You are not allowed to enjoy WoW. No girls allowed. This game is not meant to appeal to you, but is oriented only towards to sexist men. Signed by the He-Man Woman Haters Club."

CosmicGuitars 04-16-2014 05:41 PM

Army of the Dead was given back to all Death Knights. :D

Menel'dirion 04-16-2014 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosthawk (Post 1104245)
"Also if your women are elves. 'Cause fuck elves".

You wish you could

Falarson 04-16-2014 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 1104410)
Crossed is not the largest MMORPG on the market. It's not meant to be casual friendly with mass appeal to maintain subscriptions. Wouldn't you think that the circumstances of a niche comic and a popular, mass marketed MMORPG would be different? Wouldn't you think that there are issues regarding then what sort of messages the game sends to mostly cis-gendered heterosexual males regarding issues of gender? Wouldn't you likewise think that telling women basically all of this in regards to the largest MMORPG is problematic of systemic sexism? You may as well advertise WoW as "Dear Women: You are not allowed to enjoy WoW. No girls allowed. This game is not meant to appeal to you, but is oriented only towards to sexist men. Signed by the He-Man Woman Haters Club."

It's not like that. Honestly. You associate themes with gender and that's wrong by default. I know plenty of women who enjoy metal themes. It's just not for everyone, and it never was built as such. It became popular for the gameplay and other reasons, but not for the story or the themes. You're asking Blizzard to destroy the very foundations of their games.
I don't think the massiveness of it changes anything. It's true, they'll lose tons of subscribers if they don't cater to those needs, but in the end, that's exclusively their problem.

Skullcrusha 04-16-2014 05:43 PM

The Shattered Hand are working with the Arrakoa?

Adherent Proclamation
Item Level 1
""A Talonpriest hides in Skettis. Find him - slay any others.$B$BThe Shattered Hand will investigate reports of Talonpriests hiding in the dark forest beneath the spires.$B$BIn the name of Rukhmar, we will burn away the shadows.""

http://beta.wowdb.com/items/111575-a...t-proclamation

Westlee 04-16-2014 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Falarson (Post 1104406)
In fact, every Blizzard franchise reflects a rock/metal subgenre:

Rock & Roll Racing: Self explanatory. I love me some drivin' with Paranoid playing in the background.
Lost Vikings: Folk/Viking Metal.
Starcraft: Southern/Hard Rock.
Warcraft: Classic Heavy Metal.
Diablo: Death/Black Metal.
Hearthstone: Power Metal ala Blind Guardian.
Heroes of the Storm: All of the above :P

How about Symphonic Metal?

Krakhed 04-16-2014 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 1104410)

Your hyperbole makes me respect your position less. Please stop. I would rather be able to maintain a certain level of care about sexism, and don't need encouragement to find the subject stupid.

The truth of the matter is that Women who enjoy WoW are more than welcome to enjoy WoW. WoW is oriented to what its authors enjoy writing, which is widely recognized as less than perfect. But the people who enjoy what they create are enjoying what they create.

Falarson 04-16-2014 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Westlee (Post 1104421)
How about Symphonic Metal?

Warcraft has a bit of that too, I guess.

Gurzog 04-16-2014 05:53 PM

Chaotic Energy Affliction, Demonology: You drain energy directly from the twisting nether. Your mana regenerates 625% faster and your spell haste also increases your mana regeneration. Replaces Life Tap. Destruction: You drain energy directly from the twisting nether. Your mana regenerates 625% faster and your spell haste also increases your mana regeneration. Prime Glyph. Prime Glyph.

:(

we don't want this blizzard no more prime glyphs plz

Insane Guy of Doom 04-16-2014 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skullcrusha (Post 1104420)
The Shattered Hand are working with the Arrakoa?

Adherent Proclamation
Item Level 1
""A Talonpriest hides in Skettis. Find him - slay any others.$B$BThe Shattered Hand will investigate reports of Talonpriests hiding in the dark forest beneath the spires.$B$BIn the name of Rukhmar, we will burn away the shadows.""

http://beta.wowdb.com/items/111575-a...t-proclamation

So it sounds like the bad arakkoa still serve Rukhmar? Yet the good ones serve Terokk who serves Rukhmar... :confused: