Scrolls of Lore Forums

Scrolls of Lore Forums (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/index.php)
-   WarCraft Lore Discussion (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   R. A. Knaak writing a new Warcraft novel (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/showthread.php?t=8722)

Lon-ami 12-11-2010 08:31 AM

World of Warcraft: Wolfheart - new R. A. Knaak novel

http://richardaknaak.com/Novels.html

No idea what it could be about, let's hope Medievaldragon can get some info on it for us.

And I really hope Blizzard starts to use more writers, Golden and Knaak are ok, but I want new styles, too.

UPDATE 13/03/2011

The title has been revealed: Wolfheart. Will be available October 2011.

By the looks of the name, it's either about orcs or worgen. Personal theory? Lucan Foxblood becomes a worgen :P.

Catalog description (seems more like a summary of Stormrage, but still, may be interesting) here:

Quote:

Continuing the story begun in the thrilling novel STORMRAGE! When the world of Azeroth was young, the god-like titans brought order to it by reshaping its lands and seas. Throughout their great work, they followed a magnificent design for what they envisioned Azeroth would become. Although the titans departed Azeroth long ago, that design endures to this day. It is known as the Emerald Dream, a lush and savagely primal version of the World of Warcraft. Many are the mysteries surrounding the Emerald Dream and its reclusive guardians, the green dragonflight. In times past, druids have entered the Dream to monitor the ebb and flow of life on Azeroth in their never-ending quest to maintain the delicate balance of nature. However, not all dreams are pleasant ones. Recently the Emerald Nightmare, an area of corruption within the Emerald Dream, began growing in size, transforming the Dream into a realm of unimaginable horror. Green dragons have been unexpectedly caught up in the Nightmare, emerging from it with shattered minds and twisted bodies. Druids who have entered the darkening Dream lately have found it difficultósometimes even impossibleóto escape. Nor are these the Nightmare's only victims, as more and more people are now being affected....

Richard A. Knaak is the New York Times bestselling author of some three dozen novels, including the The Sin War trilogy for Diablo and the Legend of Huma for Dragonlance. He has penned the War of the Ancients trilogy, Day of the Dragon and its upcoming followup, Night of the Dragon. His other works include his own Dragonrealm series, the Minotaur Wars for Dragonlance, the Aquilonia trilogy of the Age of Conan, and the Sunwell Trilogy -- the first Warcraft manga. In addition, his novels and short stories have been published worldwide in such diverse places as China, Iceland, the Czech Republic, and Brazil.
Interesting information taken from Blizzplanet (they are the first to report this find):

Quote:

WoWHead shows one character named Ignovus the Outcast with the title (Wolfheart Pack). Now this is interesting ó Ignovus the Outcast is a Worgen according to a Cataclysm beta player.

Huuren: ďI am not sure what his purpose isÖ I found him in the ruins of Duskhaven in the uninstanced Gilneas. Heís standing atop one of the building just walking around. He seems to be gone now as of the Cataclysm release.Ē
Would be nice if someone looks around and see if he's still there.

Slowpokeking 12-11-2010 08:47 AM

I really hope they get Jeff back.

Ashendant 12-11-2010 11:06 AM

NOOOOOOO!!!!ELEVEN!!ONE!!!

joking

Revenant 12-11-2010 12:00 PM

Slowpoke made hating on Knaak not cool.

HalfElfDragon 12-11-2010 12:03 PM

You know what? I don't even care anymore. Let him write another novel. Its not like we didn't all know this would happen anyways.

Omacron 12-11-2010 01:37 PM

Guys, this is probably the most dragon-centric expansion yet. Did you honestly expect them to not have Knaak write a story about Cataclysm?

Slowpokeking 12-11-2010 01:42 PM

I thought Blizzard knew how bad NotD and Stormrage is...

Mutterscrawl 12-11-2010 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omacron (Post 251985)
Guys, this is probably the most dragon-centric expansion yet. Did you honestly expect them to not have Knaak write a story about Cataclysm?

is it so wrong to hope? to DREAM? I ASK YOU SIR!

Royalpimp 12-11-2010 01:54 PM

I wonder if Knaak knows how disliked he is, or better yet, how he feels about that.

Anywho, crossing fingers that he'll write something like Day of the Dragon, besides having Rhonin and Krasus in it that is.

chthonical 12-11-2010 01:58 PM

Who is this Knaak guy? I have stayed far away from fantasy fiction because most attempts the writers make at action scenes result in me wanting to put the barrel of a gun in my mouth.

Slowpokeking 12-11-2010 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royalpimp (Post 251996)
I wonder if Knaak knows how disliked he is, or better yet, how he feels about that.

Anywho, crossing fingers that he'll write something like Day of the Dragon, besides having Rhonin and Krasus in it that is.

Without Rhonin and Krasus his books can be worse, like Stormrage.

I would rather pick raptor army and a girl made of energy rather than SS.

Gurtogg_Bloodboil 12-11-2010 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revenant (Post 251970)
Slowpoke made hating on Knaak not cool.

This is a pretty accurate statement. I want to complain about it, but now I can't.

Aedror 12-11-2010 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royalpimp (Post 251996)

I think he knows, but still there are some who likes his books, i for one liked the danish translations of his Minotaur Wars-trilogy, and i guess some must like his warcraft books too, since a lot of copies are sold.

WoWInsider interviewed him a BlizzCon and asked him about the fans' reaction: http://wow.joystiq.com/2010/10/23/bl...chard-a-knaak/

Slowpokeking 12-11-2010 02:20 PM

He will not care.
If you guys have a chance to create official lore story and earn money from it, will you care much about other people's reaction when the selling won't be bad anyway?

Gurtogg_Bloodboil 12-11-2010 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slowpokeking (Post 252003)
He will not care.
If you guys have a chance to create official lore story and earn money from it, will you care much about other people's reaction when the selling won't be bad anyway?

Donít be ridiculous. Nobody likes to be told they suck at their job and be dragged over the coals for it. Of course heíd prefer a positive reception. So would anybody.

Slowpokeking 12-11-2010 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurtogg_Bloodboil (Post 252013)
Donít be ridiculous. Nobody likes to be told they suck at their job and be dragged over the coals for it. Of course heíd prefer a positive reception. So would anybody.

Words don't really tell how good your job is, they are too cheap, money and selling do and really matter. I remember Knaak once posted on his blog saying Stormrage was on top 150 hardcover book selling.
Not only Knaak, Blizzard also care about money and selling first. Why didn't Blizzard find other good authors? Simply because Knaak's books were selling good, that's good job in their eyes.

Gurtogg_Bloodboil 12-11-2010 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slowpokeking (Post 252014)
Words don't really tell how good your job is, they are too cheap, money and selling do and really matter. I remember Knaak once posted on his blog saying Stormrage was on top 150 hardcover book selling.
Not only Knaak, Blizzard also care about money and selling first. Why didn't Blizzard find other good authors? Simply because Knaak's books were selling good, that's good job in their eyes.

And thatís completely different from ďnot caringĒ about a negative fan reaction. Do you want people to insult you and say how much you suck all day at your job, even though you donít get fired? No. Nobody does. Donít be dense.

Furthermore, guess what? Sales are a good indication of whether people like your work Ė especially when theyíve already read a work by Knaak in the past and then go buy another. You donít like his books? Donít buy them.

Slowpokeking 12-11-2010 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurtogg_Bloodboil (Post 252023)
And thatís completely different from ďnot caringĒ about a negative fan reaction. Do you want people to insult you and say how much you suck all day at your job, even though you donít get fired? No. Nobody does. Donít be dense.

Furthermore, guess what? Sales are a good indication of whether people like your work Ė especially when theyíve already read a work by Knaak in the past and then go buy another. You donít like his books? Donít buy them.

Why would I give it a fuck if I live much better than most of them and so many people(including many of those who insult me) still spend their bucks(from their hard works) on my works?

The selling is good. The case is hardcore lore fans are only a small amount in all the WOW players, and some of them still have to buy the book to learn the lore. I bought Stormrage and NotD for this reason. My opinion is: If I'm not a big fan of this author or this game, I won't buy a video game novel since their quality usually is...compare to many other books.

Thekar 12-11-2010 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slowpokeking (Post 252024)
Why would I give it a fuck if I live much better than most of them and so many people(including many of those who insult me) still spend their bucks(from their hard works) on my works?

The "I'm successful, your criticism is invalid" thing is how first rate douchebag egoists are made. You'd hope that Knaak would at least make note of the less trollish and more sensible critiques.

Given that Knaak writes for a niche audience he should have a heightened awareness of whether or not his base is pleased with his work.

Anasterian 12-11-2010 06:34 PM

Quote:

The case is hardcore lore fans are only a small amount in all the WOW players, and some of them still have to buy the book to learn the lore.

I bought Stormrage and NotD for this reason. My opinion is: If I'm not a big fan of this author or this game, I won't buy a video game novel since their quality usually is...compare to many other books.

You are a supposed die-hard lover of the game... yet you have admitted to not having an active subscription. My first assumption would be it's a financial thing, yet you still go out of your way to pay what would've been your subscription costs on books Knaak writes and that you constantly complain about...

Nobody puts a gun to your head (or other lore-fanatics) to buy said books and wowpedia can provide a good summary, unless you (and said fanatics) NEED to know every damn line of dialogue. Want to fight against Blizzard using Knaak? Don't buy the damn book! Come here or wowpedia and get a summary.

Oh! And saying fuck at unnecessary times means you are 2 kewl fo skool, rite? :)

On a less Slowpoke, more Knaak note. Day of the Dragon wasn't bad, nor were the War of the Ancients books, even if they took the odd (MANY) liberty(ies) with lore... other than that I haven't been able to purchase his other books due to monetary reasons, but I'm skeptical to believe they are so bad that I would enter a trance, start frothing at the mouth, and savagely tear the books to the point that they are nothing but a flaming pile of garbage. If the guy writes another book, if the premise seems interesting, and if I have the money to spare... then sure I'll buy it. If it's a book about Deathwing, I'll probably like it since he was the highlight of WoTA to me. If it's all about Sylvanas I will cheer his name, and for a short time he shall be my favourite human being on earth.

Slowpokeking 12-11-2010 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thekar (Post 252040)
The "I'm successful, your criticism is invalid" thing is how first rate douchebag egoists are made. You'd hope that Knaak would at least make note of the less trollish and more sensible critiques.

Given that Knaak writes for a niche audience he should have a heightened awareness of whether or not his base is pleased with his work.

What's more valid?? Some good words from people's mouth or the hard earned money from their bags? It's always easy to let people say something positive but hard to let them spend money. I believe Blizzard also judge their author's work by selling rather than criticism.

Knaak wrote for the WOW players, for now his books were selling good, that means he is doing well. I don't like it but it's the truth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anasterian (Post 252045)
You are a supposed die-hard lover of the game... yet you have admitted to not having an active subscription. My first assumption would be it's a financial thing, yet you still go out of your way to pay what would've been your subscription costs on books Knaak writes and that you constantly complain about...

Nobody puts a gun to your head (or other lore-fanatics) to buy said books and wowpedia can provide a good summary, unless you (and said fanatics) NEED to know every damn line of dialogue. Want to fight against Blizzard using Knaak? Don't buy the damn book! Come here or wowpedia and get a summary.

Oh! And saying fuck at unnecessary times means you are 2 kewl fo skool, rite? :)

On a less Slowpoke, more Knaak note. Day of the Dragon wasn't bad, nor were the War of the Ancients books, even if they took the odd (MANY) liberty(ies) with lore... other than that I haven't been able to purchase his other books due to monetary reasons, but I'm skeptical to believe they are so bad that I would enter a trance, start frothing at the mouth, and savagely tear the books to the point that they are nothing but a flaming pile of garbage. If the guy writes another book, if the premise seems interesting, and if I have the money to spare... then sure I'll buy it. If it's a book about Deathwing, I'll probably like it since he was the highlight of WoTA to me. If it's all about Sylvanas I will cheer his name, and for a short time he shall be my favourite human being on earth.

Well summary cannot cover many details, usually just the main storylines, some of the lore details are important. That's true, I bought most of the WOW novels mainly for lore knowledge.

I never said DotD and WotA are really bad, they are decent. Even NotD's main story is ok(except the raptor army), just the writing is terrible. The only book I hate is Stormrage.

Magistrix Verdande 12-11-2010 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashendant (Post 251964)
NOOOOOOO!!!!ELEVEN!!ONE!!!

joking

:cenarius::cenarius::cenarius::cenarius:

Gurtogg_Bloodboil 12-11-2010 08:22 PM

Quote:

You also continue to post here despite what I would be forced to categorize as a very negative reputation and get almost constant ridicule from a variety of posters. You probably arenít the best individual to gauge how the effects of public opinion weigh on an author.

We all know a writer canít please everyone all the time, but I know I like to have positive feedback, regardless of whether its fiscally rewarding or not. I think Knaak does listen to critics, as Iíve seen certain developments from him that at least tangentially reflect an effort to redress criticisms that have been lobbed at him.

ÖI canít believe Iím defending Knaak.

Thekar 12-11-2010 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurtogg_Bloodboil (Post 252068)
You also continue to post here despite what I would be forced to categorize as a very negative reputation and get almost constant ridicule from a variety of posters. You probably arenít the best individual to gauge how the effects of public opinion weigh on an author.

We all know a writer canít please everyone all the time, but I know I like to have positive feedback, regardless of whether its fiscally rewarding or not. I think Knaak does listen to critics, as Iíve seen certain developments from him that at least tangentially reflect an effort to redress criticisms that have been lobbed at him.

ÖI canít believe Iím defending Knaak.

I don't think you're defending him.

It's more like this shirt:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Ze5Xm5fW-4...not+hitler.jpg

Gurtogg_Bloodboil 12-11-2010 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thekar (Post 252069)
I don't think you're defending him.

It's more like this shirt:

Yes, I think you nailed it. :rhonin::raptor: