Scrolls of Lore Forums

Scrolls of Lore Forums (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/index.php)
-   StarCraft Discussion (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   StarCraft: Evolution - New SC Novel (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/showthread.php?t=220702)

handclaw 05-01-2016 02:54 PM

StarCraft: Evolution - New SC Novel

So, I just came upon this information about the next starcraft novel:

Quote:

StarCraft: Evolution is an upcoming StarCraft novel written by Timothy Zahn. It will take place years after StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void, and deal with the relationship between the three major powers of the Koprulu sector after the conflict.

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/...20160427211121

The war between the terrans, the protoss, and the zerg has been over for years, but the fight for peace is still being waged. As the Terran Dominion struggles to recover from the ravages of war, Emperor Valerian Mengsk has no intention of ruling in the same bloody manner as his father, the late Arcturus Mengsk. Instead of seeking vengeance, Valerian is determined to maintain the peace. So when he receives an urgent plea for aid from Zagara, Overqueen of the savage zerg Swarm, he agrees to hear her case despite his personal misgivings and the severe disapproval of Hierarch Artanis of the protoss.

Zagara claims that the Swarm has changed. No longer bent on destruction, they have revitalized the planet Gystt, once thought to be irreparable after its incineration by the protoss during wartime. Now the zerg wish only to live there in peace and nurture new life. But when Dominion agents—a hard-bitten marine, an unpredictable reaper, an idealistic xenobiologist, a former ghost operative, and an enigmatic protoss researcher—arrive to investigate the planet, they suspect that not all of the zerg are truly dedicated to Zagara’s dream of harmonious paradise. Gystt hides dark secrets, and should they be unleashed, it will mean disaster for the universe.

GenyaArikado 05-01-2016 03:06 PM

Overqueen Zagara. I like

I wonder if these rebel zerg will be queens or something new

ARM3481 05-01-2016 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GenyaArikado (Post 1469549)
Overqueen Zagara. I like

I wonder if these rebel zerg will be queens or something new

It could always be something involving Abathur. Maybe the Swarm not running around conquering more systems to assimilate more species and improve itself cramps his style and threatens to make him obsolete.

Or perhaps some tie-in to the Nova missions' Defenders of Man snagging zerg broods to use for their psi emitter scheme.

Revenant 05-01-2016 03:29 PM

The idea of "environmentally friendly" zerg seems odd but intriguing.

Gromak 05-01-2016 03:40 PM

I don't think I'd like the Zerg becoming hippies.

Malygos 05-01-2016 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handclaw (Post 1469546)
an idealistic xenobiologist, a former ghost operative, and an enigmatic protoss researcher

Project Blackstone reunion? Golly, dis gon be gud.

Drusus 05-01-2016 05:48 PM

Isn't that basically the plot of Star Wars: Legacy?

Mutterscrawl 05-01-2016 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drusus (Post 1469598)
Star Wars: Legacy?

Huh?

Also, does the zerg part of that symbol seem very...

Plant-y?

GenyaArikado 05-01-2016 09:43 PM

i wonder if the enviroment friendly zerg was one of the primal zerg discussed during HotS developement

Omacron 05-01-2016 09:58 PM

Shit, Zahn is writing for Blizzard? Rob Simpson must be working his magic.

Mutterscrawl 05-01-2016 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARM3481 (Post 1469552)
It could always be something involving Abathur. Maybe the Swarm not running around conquering more systems to assimilate more species and improve itself cramps his style and threatens to make him obsolete.

Or perhaps some tie-in to the Nova missions' Defenders of Man snagging zerg broods to use for their psi emitter scheme.

I dunno, Abathur said Kerrigan's revenge quest was making the swarm the strongest swarm despite not being explicitly about perfection, because for the swarm, the goal is doing whatever the swarm's leader wants, as well as possible.

So if Zagara decides she wants to make the Zerg into Druids, Abathur seems like he'd go about making the best damn zerg gardeners possible.

Honestly Zagara deciding she wants the swarm to be peaceful is really fucking weird and out of nowhere for me though.

A new character or the defenders of man seems more likely based on current lore.

But they said they wanted abathur to be a villain back in the old HotS development so maybe they decided to make him a villain again and they'll change his characterization :(

Makes me sad, I like his perfectionism not being fixed to any one 'political' ideology and more linked to whoever runs the swarm.

Drusus 05-02-2016 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl (Post 1469654)
Huh?

Chaotic Evil race invade the galaxy and bring it to the brink.
Once defeated, it turns out there's a 'good' faction who just want to live in peace.
Want to prove it by terraforming the planets they've corrupted.
The Lawful Good ruler is distrustful but is willing to roll with it.
Numerous factions - including the Lawful Neutrals - are highly against it due to lack of trust of a race who've otherwise proven nothing but murderous.
Then it goes tits up from there.

Omacron 05-02-2016 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl (Post 1469682)
I dunno, Abathur said Kerrigan's revenge quest was making the swarm the strongest swarm despite not being explicitly about perfection, because for the swarm, the goal is doing whatever the swarm's leader wants, as well as possible.

So if Zagara decides she wants to make the Zerg into Druids, Abathur seems like he'd go about making the best damn zerg gardeners possible.

Honestly Zagara deciding she wants the swarm to be peaceful is really fucking weird and out of nowhere for me though.

A new character or the defenders of man seems more likely based on current lore.

But they said they wanted abathur to be a villain back in the old HotS development so maybe they decided to make him a villain again and they'll change his characterization :(

Makes me sad, I like his perfectionism not being fixed to any one 'political' ideology and more linked to whoever runs the swarm.

Depends on what "perfection" is. Kerrigan wanted the swarm to kill her enemies, so it was turned into the perfect sword. In peace time, you want to build and revitalize new planets, so you need, say, a shovel. A sword is a pretty imperfect shovel.

Mutterscrawl 05-02-2016 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drusus (Post 1469755)
Chaotic Evil race invade the galaxy and bring it to the brink.
Once defeated, it turns out there's a 'good' faction who just want to live in peace.
Want to prove it by terraforming the planets they've corrupted.
The Lawful Good ruler is distrustful but is willing to roll with it.
Numerous factions - including the Lawful Neutrals - are highly against it due to lack of trust of a race who've otherwise proven nothing but murderous.
Then it goes tits up from there.

Oh that stuff with the Yuuzhan Vong?

GenyaArikado 05-02-2016 11:42 AM

Quote:

Vision.

Genesis 05-03-2016 03:33 PM

Quote:

And what the fuck is Stukov doing?

Mutterscrawl 06-03-2016 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 1470175)
And what the fuck is Stukov doing?

Necro.

No idea what Stukov is up to, would be interesting to find out if he's organizing infested terrans and helping them de-crazy.

Also pondering what the Purifiers are up to.

Colarion and Fenix/Tahondar (What do we call him now?)

Genesis 06-06-2016 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl (Post 1480608)
Necro.

No idea what Stukov is up to, would be interesting to find out if he's organizing infested terrans and helping them de-crazy.

Yeah, I was not sure what his status in Kerrigan's Zerg was.

Quote:

Also pondering what the Purifiers are up to.

Colarion and Fenix/Tahondar (What do we call him now?)
That would also be interesting. That and getting a percentage of Tal'darim who joined the Daelaam.

C9H20 07-14-2016 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gromak (Post 1469564)
I don't think I'd like the Zerg becoming hippies.

I think it's actually the opposite. Zagara's brood may want to try a more cooperative approach, but even that I doubt given what we've seen of her, but those who don't want that? I bet those will be very similar to the original Overmind (and I mean before the Amon retcon nonsense), bent on perfecting themselves and overtaking everyone else.
I do wonder who those "radicals" may be. Given that early drafts of SC2 had Kerrigan abolish the hivemind and set the zerg free coupled with how Kerrigan taught Zagara the value of thinking ahead and of initiative my best guess is Zagara herself experiments with free zerg. Though it could also be simply other queens with other ideas, primal zerg messing things up or even a mix of things.

I think this might be the setup to a new SC RTS, Blizz did mention their RTS squad is basically out of stuff to do. They briefly mentioned a possibility of a WC RTS but that seems to have gone nowhere.

PS. And yeah seems project Blackstone unlike WC RTS is going somewhere. I hope everyone is still pissed at Winlaleah :P

HlaaluStyle 07-18-2016 12:19 PM

Eh, it's hard for me to see eco-conscious zerg not going the same route as peaceful shamanistic orcs. It'll last until Blizzard needs a bad guy and can't pick one from its existing roster. Then the zerg will revert back to the hungering swarm, while the talking heads insist that the zerg are actually a peaceful nature-loving culture.

Then it'll end in a huge mess where the bad zerg (who appeared to be the overwhelming majority) are defeated, and they revert back to good, but never actually pay a real price.

One of the recurring problems in Warcraft was Blizzard's seeming inability to decide what the orcs actually were. The words "Know Thyself" were displayed on the route to the Oracle of Delphi. Sadly, Blizzard did not listen to this advice when it came to the orcs.

Hopefully they've learned their lesson.

GenyaArikado 07-19-2016 11:56 AM

well the zerg still work kinda on a hivemind and breed ridiculously quick so it's different.

Mutterscrawl 11-09-2016 10:51 AM

Bought the book today

Will post summary as I go

Insane Guy of Doom 11-09-2016 11:03 AM

Bought it at Blizzcon and read it on the plane ride home, but I won't steal Mutterscrawl's thunder (and I didn't post anything since no one was using the Starcraft board so I didn't think anyone cared). I will say its definitely going to be a love it or hate it reaction here, much like LotV's ending (though to not nearly the same degree).

Mutterscrawl 11-09-2016 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom (Post 1533838)
Bought it at Blizzcon and read it on the plane ride home, but I won't steal Mutterscrawl's thunder (and I didn't post anything since no one was using the Starcraft board so I didn't think anyone cared). I will say its definitely going to be a love it or hate it reaction here, much like LotV's ending (though to not nearly the same degree).

Thats not a good sign, but thanks

GenyaArikado 11-09-2016 11:05 AM

The only thunder Sky has is getting silenced by a blue and throwing a tantrum afterwards. So by all means, please post a synopsis darling :3