Scrolls of Lore Forums

Scrolls of Lore Forums (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/index.php)
-   StarCraft Discussion (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Is Blizzard charging people for a rehash of an old game?!?! (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/showthread.php?t=221273)

C9H20 06-30-2017 04:36 PM

Is Blizzard charging people for a rehash of an old game?!?!
 
So this SC remaster thing, apparently it takes preorders which I guess means it costs money?

Are they fucking crazy? Seems ridiculously money grubbing to me to make people pay to play a fancied up version of an old game. So many companies are giving away legacy games as a courtesy or a promo stunt yet Blizz goes and tries to milk money out of people? D:

This is like Monsanto levels of money grubbing, bordering on Mr. Burns :P

Cantus 06-30-2017 04:46 PM

Just took a gander, yeah, I won't be buying into it. They wanted to "keep things faithful", which I understand, but the HD remake is too faithful. For "gameplay reasons" they kept a lot of visual oddities, and the high-res of it doesn't matter when the details shown are just simple objects. The terrain tiling is also kept too static.

That said, apparently they did a ton of work, so for a truly nostalgic player (or the living, ancient pro scene), the cost is there and the quality makes sense ($15 isn't a huge deal if you're already in love).

Lon-ami 06-30-2017 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C9H20 (Post 1594895)
So this SC remaster thing, apparently it takes preorders which I guess means it costs money?

Are they fucking crazy? Seems ridiculously money grubbing to me to make people pay to play a fancied up version of an old game. So many companies are giving away legacy games as a courtesy or a promo stunt yet Blizz goes and tries to milk money out of people? D:

This is like Monsanto levels of money grubbing, bordering on Mr. Burns :P

It's pretty old news. They are making the original free, but the remastered version won't.

It's just some attempt at recovering all the ground they lost in Korea (they're the only ones to blame, though).

Gurzog 06-30-2017 04:51 PM

Seems like a better deal than diablo 3 DLC, I will buy it only because it is 15 bucks I was honestly expecting blizzard to be Greedy as fuck and charge 59 bucks for it.

Sonneillon 06-30-2017 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurzog (Post 1594903)
Seems like a better deal than diablo 3 DLC, I will buy it only because it is 15 bucks I was honestly expecting blizzard to be Greedy as fuck and charge 59 bucks for it.

They are both terribly priced. The remastered is likely the better deal since it's an entire game vs a stale old game with a old character from an old game. It's funny. 20 is the amount I said that I'd refuse to but either of these at, with the exchange rate as it is that's the price, which is insane. If it were 10 USD for them I'd consider it, some how that extra 5 bucks per just completely loses me. I'd rather spend that on a beer than playing old games I beat years ago.

C9H20 07-01-2017 07:03 AM

People who are total SC fanboys can buy it, their choice, but no way in seven hells would I give them money for it.

Giving out original SC (Brood War too I presume?) for free does make it better and more in-line with what other companies are doing.

Bottom line for me though is that any sympathy I had for "old Blizz" for making awesome games and always putting the customer first is long gone. Their stories suck for a long time now, their gameplay increasingly sucks and now they are trying to milk every dime out of the player. They are no better than the average gaming company, probably worse.

Sonneillon 07-01-2017 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C9H20 (Post 1594998)
People who are total SC fanboys can buy it, their choice, but no way in seven hells would I give them money for it.

Giving out original SC (Brood War too I presume?) for free does make it better and more in-line with what other companies are doing.

Bottom line for me though is that any sympathy I had for "old Blizz" for making awesome games and always putting the customer first is long gone. Their stories suck for a long time now, their gameplay increasingly sucks and now they are trying to milk every dime out of the player. They are no better than the average gaming company, probably worse.

Oh lord I hope it includes Brood War... I also find the limited time Preorder bonus to be fucking hilarious... really preorder this...

In the target audiences standpoint, there's kind of an issue with charging anything for it. They obviously want to get it on every system in every Ecafe in Korea, it would be more accessible to the younger generation of "Eatheletes" (as Blizz is obsessed with the whole Esports things) coming up (since the industry thrives on youth).

Gurzog 07-01-2017 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonneillon (Post 1595004)
Oh lord I hope it includes Brood War... I also find the limited time Preorder bonus to be fucking hilarious... really preorder this...

In the target audiences standpoint, there's kind of an issue with charging anything for it. They obviously want to get it on every system in every Ecafe in Korea, it would be more accessible to the younger generation of "Eatheletes" (as Blizz is obsessed with the whole Esports things) coming up (since the industry thrives on youth).

it includes brood wars

Anansi 07-01-2017 08:26 AM

Depending on the price, I see nothing wrong with this. I mean, I wouldn't pay 60 bucks for it, but maybe 15?

Nazja 07-01-2017 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anansi (Post 1595013)
Depending on the price, I see nothing wrong with this. I mean, I wouldn't pay 60 bucks for it, but maybe 15?

It is 15.

And yeah, for that price I'll also buy it. They did invest time into it, so they deserve recompense. :P

Anansi 07-01-2017 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nazja (Post 1595014)
It is 15.

And yeah, for that price I'll also buy it. They did invest time into it, so they deserve recompense. :P

Are they updating the cinematics? I know the briefings will be different.

Gurzog 07-01-2017 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anansi (Post 1595015)
Are they updating the cinematics? I know the briefings will be different.

dont expect cinematic trailers but I believe they said they will.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.