Scrolls of Lore Forums

Scrolls of Lore Forums (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/index.php)
-   World of WarCraft Discussion (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   New Races, Where Do You Want Them To Go? [Poll] (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/showthread.php?t=214727)

Sonneillon 08-20-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterCrow (Post 938911)
This feels like the path to disappointment. Nothing about what was promised with the Worgen was delivered, and I don't think I'm being cynical if I say I don't expect that the vrykul would fare any better.

You argue that the worgen are just furry night elves, but I don't see how Vrykul wouldn't easily just end up being tall humans... with more dwarf tendencies, given all the scottish viking stuff.

Wow itself has proven to be one big path to disappointment.

They would at the very least look amazing towering over a battlefield in Alliance armour. Not that we really see any proper battlefields in this game.

Tauren Paly 08-20-2013 10:05 AM

horde should get vrykul, since we already had sylvanas take the val'kyr, and it be fun playing a vrykul as he smashes a human guy in a battleground.

Ma Caque Attaque 08-20-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarahmoo (Post 938814)
I think if Naga are ever added they would probably be as a neutral race or hero class, either that or they would have to come up with an equally-compelling race for the opposite faction as well.

I wouldn't count on another nuetral race. One of the Devs answered as a question about whether they were pleased with having the Pandas being nuetral and the answer was basically

"Yeah, that was a bad idea and we only did it because we didn't want either side to be angry that they didn't get pandas in their faction."

Quote:

This feels like the path to disappointment. Nothing about what was promised with the Worgen was delivered, and I don't think I'm being cynical if I say I don't expect that the vrykul would fare any better.

You argue that the worgen are just furry night elves, but I don't see how Vrykul wouldn't easily just end up being tall humans... with more dwarf tendencies, given all the scottish viking stuff.
True, if the vrykul or even the val'kyr were ever put into the Alliance they would have to be whitewashed in order to fit. Which means everything that everyone would want the vrykul to be in the Alliance would be compeltely rewritten and like you said, they would be tall humans with dwarven tendencies.

If you want bad ass, savage races then your only choice is the Horde. If the worgen had joined the Horde instead of the Alliance you would be seeing exactly what Blizzard promised delivered because the Horde is what it is and the whole savage/bad-ass" races fit much better there.

MisterCrow 08-20-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ma Caque Attaque (Post 938924)
I wouldn't count on another nuetral race. One of the Devs answered as a question about whether they were pleased with having the Pandas being nuetral and the answer was basically

"Yeah, that was a bad idea and we only did it because we didn't want either side to be angry that they didn't get pandas in their faction."

I wanted to source this because I know I just saw it: it was Chilton, being interviewed by WoWInsider last week. Which referenced Street responding to a question about it on Twitter, which I linked below.

WI: This expansion saw the introduction of one race for both factions -- Ghostcrawler mentioned on Twitter that he wasn't a fan of it overall. How do you feel it went? Will we see something like this again in the future?

Originally Posted by Tom Chilton:
I definitely wouldn't rule it out for the future, but we just felt like it was appropriate for this expansion. The number one most requested race for us to do -- by a long shot -- it was pandaren, from various different ways that we gather information. It wasn't even close, compared to any other race. It felt like it would have been really dicey to only offer it to one side or the other, it really felt in the spirit of what Pandaria was and what the pandaren are, that it made sense for it.

Now we knew going into it that it would have the challenges of the silhouette, not having that distinct "Oh I see that and I know that's Horde or that's Alliance." But I think it added something cool, and I don't know that -- even if I were to go back in time -- if we assumed that we were doing Mists of Pandaria, I don't know that I would really advocate that we split it up and not have the pandaren be on one side.

Bolded the most definitive parts of the argument for emphasis.

Ma Caque Attaque 08-20-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterCrow (Post 938946)
SNIP

There ya go ^^

The one thing that I did really like about having a nuetral race was that it could, could, lead us down the road of having Horde races in the Alliance and vice versa. Like the whole Blood elves versus High elves thing.

If they got over the whole "silhouette" problem, then it would be a step in that direction.

Temo 08-20-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaronGrackle (Post 938859)
The only Alliance race you've played is the only one that begins the game as a human, and also has the specific power to change into human appearance at any point in the game later? :)

You start as a human, but 5 minutes later you dont see the human anymore. I never, even once tried to change back to human :)

Lord Grimtale 08-20-2013 11:47 AM

For me personally...

Arakkoa - Alliance
Ethereals - Alliance
Naga - Horde
Drakonid - Alliance
Centaur - Didn't vote here, but I think they could go either way. Maybe moreso Alliance if they have an aesthetic other than being similar to Huns.
Furbolg - Alliance
Satyr - Didn't vote this one either but I think Satyr would fit Alliance pretty well in some capacity though I think I'd rather see Sayaad.
Ogres - Horde
Nerubians - Horde
Vrykul - Alliance

The races I'd definitely like to see the most would be Drakonid, Furbolg, or Arakkoa. Yeah they're all animal races but still could be pretty badass potentially.

Reignac 08-20-2013 12:30 PM

Neutral arakkoa, ethereals, and drakonid. Alliance furbolg. Horde ogres.

Honestly I can't see the other races ever being playable. Nerubians and Centaur have problems with their legs, and vrykul, satyrs, and naga hate everyone. Centaurs hate everyone too actually.

Nazja 08-20-2013 12:34 PM

I just want a race that is like the night elves of old. Allies of nature that aren't just considered allies of convenience by the forces of nature.

Maybe a race that is more intrinsically linked to one of the Ancients.

(Of course, reversing some changes the night elves went through would also be great. :P)

Amaile 08-20-2013 12:43 PM

I voted Ethereals and Drakonids for Alliance. Ogres and Nerubians for Horde. Really, other than the Ethereals and Ogres, I am not too keen of any of the other options, especially as a playable race (Of course, Furblogs are already a non-playable Alliance race via Azuremyst), but by that same token, it's not like I have any better alternatives either.

Thunderbraid 08-20-2013 03:54 PM

The lack of High Elves displeases me.

Voted Ethereals for the Alliance though because HGNGNFNFFNGNNGNGNGN Etherealsaresocool.

Ku'ja 08-20-2013 04:00 PM

I am not saying i picked every option... but i did. All good choices to me.

Kellick 08-20-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderbraid (Post 939049)
The lack of High Elves displeases me.

Voted Ethereals for the Alliance though because HGNGNFNFFNGNNGNGNGN Etherealsaresocool.

Well they're already Horde, so I don't see why you'd bother including them in the poll. :P

Incidentally, I also voted for Ethereals Alliance side. As awesome as they are and as much as I'd like to see them on the Horde, I believe that thematically (and to a certain extent, even aesthetically), the Ethereals could be a beautiful fit for the Alliance. Especially with the Protectorate sub-faction if they were to choose and explore them.

PajamaSalad 08-20-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kellick (Post 939051)
Well they're already Horde, so I don't see why you'd bother including them in the poll. :P

This so much!

:D

Thunderbraid 08-20-2013 04:23 PM

yes those alliance aligned high elves on the isle of thunder and elsewhere are totally blood elves how silly of me

PajamaSalad 08-20-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderbraid (Post 939057)
yes those alliance aligned high elves on the isle of thunder and elsewhere are totally blood elves how silly of me

Give up on them! The blood elves are the high elves. Do you know how much that would water down my race if they did that? Blizzard put the playable version on the Horde and it seems like something they had been planning for awhile.

SmokeBlader 08-20-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderbraid (Post 939057)

They kinda are :\

Just a political difference between them. Oh and fel drugs.

Millenia 08-20-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pajamasalad (Post 939059)
Give up on them! The blood elves are the high elves. Do you know how much that would water down my race if they did that? Blizzard put the playable version on the Horde and it seems like something they had been planning for awhile.

They didn't show much planning when they brought the blood elves into the Horde.

Beyond that, watering down of a Horde race would at least be fitting considering what Blizzard's done to the Alliance.

Nazja 08-20-2013 05:05 PM

Those who want high elves, what would you give the Horde? A completely new race will obviously not sit well with those Alliance players who don't care for elves.

Deicide 08-20-2013 05:10 PM

Everytime I see Nozdormu's modified night elf model, or Dalaran as capital, or Vereesa as leader, I see not reason beyond Blizzard's will to make High elves into a race.

MisterCrow 08-20-2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nazja (Post 939093)
Those who want high elves, what would you give the Horde? A completely new race will obviously not sit well with those Alliance players who don't care for elves.

This argument doesn't work, for a number of reasons:

1) There are no Alliance races that make sense on the Horde, whereas a distinct, identifiable, and historically significant faction in the Silver Covenant has every reason to be a playable race.

2) Players who didn't care about draenei, worgen, or pandaren got nothing anyway when those races were added. Regardless of what gets added to the faction, there are going to be players for whom it's not their bag. Blizzard having to design around the possibility that Alliance players might get mad that the Horde race is brand-new while the Alliance race is blue-eyed Blood Elves doesn't feel like a compelling reason to not add High Elves; especially if Blood Elf/High Elf models are included in the upcoming player model revamp.

All that being said? Ogres, to balance the High Elves. The principal challenge is ogre females.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deicide (Post 939098)
Everytime I see Nozdormu's modified night elf model, or Dalaran as capital, or Vereesa as leader, I see not reason beyond Blizzard's will to make High elves into a race.

Agreed.

Ultimately, I'm fine with High Elves being added, but if it never happens it's not going to really degrade my opinion of the game. It's just something that fits for me.

Amaile 08-20-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Give them Ogres. No, not that silly old model. That really old, old model! :vile:

Mshadowz 08-20-2013 05:32 PM

I was thinking naga and ethereals for neutral (Probably wouldn't be the same expansion), Furbolgs for the Alliance and Ogres for the Horde, because those two probably should have been there from the start.

Commander Rotal 08-20-2013 05:46 PM

On the subject of races: go on to Twitter, my minions, and pester the Devs for Tauren Plainsrunning. We did it first, we deserve to get it too.

PajamaSalad 08-20-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Just make me Alliance and get rid of the faction system. Bam high elves!