Scrolls of Lore Forums

Scrolls of Lore Forums (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/index.php)
-   Halls of Lordaeron (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Yakisoba Hungering - The International Games Thread (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/showthread.php?t=30985)

SmokeBlader 02-02-2014 03:28 PM

90 killed in punishing air raids in Syria's Aleppo

Quote:

Ninety people were killed in a day of punishing air assaults on Aleppo as so-called barrel bombs rained down on the city, an opposition group said.
Women and children were among the victims in Saturday's raids in various neighborhoods in the rebel stronghold, the UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said Sunday.
It added that 10 fighters from the radical Nusra Front were killed when their headquarters were targeted. Nine people were killed near Aleppo's central prison, it said.
Barrel bombs -- drums packed with explosives and shrapnel -- can level entire buildings with one hit.

In four hours, the area of Ansari was targeted with about 17 air strikes, one medical staffer from a field hospital in Aleppo told CNN.
"The humanitarian situation is very bad, there is a huge number of wounded people," he said from the Turkish border, where he had gone to get supplies.
"I am so nervous because my staff inside (have) become so confused, I have to calm them, I don't know what I will have to do for tomorrow."
Quote:

Aleppo has come under punishing, sometimes near-daily, air raids.
"The situation is very urgent," the medic said. "We need U.S. pressure on the regime for us to be able to take a breath, to have them stop this aggressive shelling on Aleppo."
He said all the roads to the city were blocked.
The Syrian government has previously said the operations are targeting "terrorist groups" in neighborhoods of Aleppo.
Syrian refugees flood into Jordan
Peace talks
News of the bombings came after a first round of Syrian peace talks ended in Geneva on Friday with no progress towards ending a nearly three-year civil war.
The contentious first round began with bitter exchanges and repeatedly seemed on the verge of collapse before the two sides entered the same room.
The next round of negotiations is due to start February 10 but the government has been unable to say whether it will return.
According to Syrian state news agency SANA, Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem ruled out any direct talks with the U.S. unless "Secretary of State, John Kerry, apologizes for what he had said during the opening speech of the conference."
Syrian government non-committal on more talks
In opening remarks, Kerry said the path to peace had to involve the world community and could not include Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, whom he accused of widespread human rights abuses.
The conflict has also been mired by accusations that the Damascus government used chemical weapons and that the opposition includes al Qaeda-affiliated groups.
"This is a modest beginning, but it is a beginning on which we can build," U.N. special envoy Lakhdar Brahimi told reporters after the talks ended Friday.

Yaskaleh 02-02-2014 03:38 PM

I'll see if I can find more reliable sources. Syrian Observatory for Human Rights is one guy in London who watch arabic news and have somehow become the source on Syrian news for many news papers.

Leviathon 02-02-2014 07:48 PM

Hey I know where Aleppo is due to CK2!

Kir the Wizard 02-03-2014 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leviathon (Post 1058808)
Hey I know where Aleppo is due to CK2!

n00b, I knew it back in EUIII and Medieval Total War. :P

Lord Eliphas 02-03-2014 05:02 PM

Who plays Medieval Total War anymore.

Nerds who don't have Rome Total War.

Dithon1 02-03-2014 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Eliphas (Post 1059352)

I never liked Medieval for some reason.

I wish that CA hadn't skipped over the pike and shot era. Sure, there's a little bit of that near the end of Medieval, but by the point you're pretty much steamrolling all the AI factions.

Leviathon 02-03-2014 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Eliphas (Post 1059352)

Wasn't that game awful?

Kir the Wizard 02-04-2014 01:54 AM

The awful thing about Rome 2 were the end turns. Oh God, the end turns. It's, like, you end the turn and can go have some tea or surf the net, because it's loooong. Then it turns out some asshole faction attacked you mid-turn with two spearmen and you have to kill them and wait even moooooore.

Fuck it. Medieval is free of that shit.

I played some Rome, then started Parthia and beaten the campaign. Like in the old one, Persians are the best faction ever. Didn't interest me much anymore.

SmokeBlader 02-04-2014 11:48 AM

Staying In Sochi Is A Hilarious Adventure

Quote:

Almost every room is missing something: lightbulbs, TVs, lamps, chairs, curtains, wifi, heat, hot water. Shower curtains are a valuable piece of the future black market here. (One American photographer was simply told, "You will not get a shower curtain.")

In the Ekaterininsky Kvartal hotel, the elevator is broken and the stairway is unlit, with stairs of varying and unpredictable heights.

Outside the Chistya Prudy, there is a bag of concrete in a palm tree, leaking grey down the trunk. Inside, some of the electrical outlets are just plates screwed into drywall.

Sports Illustrated's Brian Cazeneuve had to clamber through a window to get out of his hotel on Tuesday morning, since the doors were all unexpectedly locked. Chris Stevenson of the Ottawa Sun was without electricity for the first day.

Oh, and one journalist in the Omega hotel complex had to refuse a colleague's request to stay a night in the second twin bed because well, there's no easy way to say this, but when the first journalist arrived, someone had left an indeterminate amount of semen on the sheets of the second bed, and those sheets had been taken away for cleaning, and hadn't come back.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfpGUmiCIAA6ty2.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/nL6LuEt.png

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfZCydkCQAAp0zl.jpg

Damn gays ruining the city!

Omacron 02-04-2014 02:15 PM

Russia Stronk.

Korath 02-06-2014 11:47 AM

Very interesting articles and interviews :

http://euwatcher.blogactiv.eu/2013/1...ely-forgotten/

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance...establishment/

It shows how much European Union failed when someone as deeply believing in it says what he says.

Ma Caque Attaque 02-06-2014 11:52 AM

The EU just needs to have the right people in charge. Every single political problem can be solved when you have the right people in charge.

Clearly the EU didn't have the right people in charge.

Korath 02-06-2014 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ma Caque Attaque (Post 1061410)
The EU just needs to have the right people in charge. Every single political problem can be solved when you have the right people in charge.

It will never have the good people in charge, because the UE very foundations are either rotten or utterly bad for the people.

Edit : damn, I didn't linked the article I wished to link first, so here it is

http://euwatcher.blogactiv.eu/2014/0...o-save-the-eu/

Yaskaleh 02-06-2014 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ma Caque Attaque (Post 1061410)

The right people never reach such an elevated position. They're not corrupted enough to be able to worm their way in among the others worms.

Omacron 02-06-2014 02:18 PM

The EU needs Americans in charge. We'll start serving fried Coke at every European parliament meeting and do drag races in the Hague while riding Harley crotch-rockets.

PajamaSalad 02-06-2014 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yaskaleh (Post 1061421)
The right people never reach such an elevated position. They're not corrupted enough to be able to worm their way in among the others worms.

We should just go back to autocracies because if it doesn't work out we can just blame the wrong people being in charge.

CoDimus the Staunch 02-07-2014 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leviathon (Post 1059645)
Wasn't that game awful?

Rome 2 is kinda unimpressive, but not Rome 1.

Yaskaleh 02-07-2014 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pajamasalad (Post 1061472)
We should just go back to autocracies because if it doesn't work out we can just blame the wrong people being in charge.

Not sure if trolling. Autocracy only works if the leader is completely flawless, incorruptable and has the best and brightest working for him/her.

Ma Caque Attaque 02-07-2014 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yaskaleh (Post 1061842)
Not sure if trolling. Autocracy only works if the leader is completely flawless, incorruptable and has the best and brightest working for him/her.

Quote:

Dictator form of government is the best form of government; that is, if you have the right dictator.
-Will Rogers

Ma Caque Attaque 02-07-2014 02:16 PM

Cameron pleads for Scotland to stay.

Curious for our scots and english posters. What's the mood over there? Is this looking like the Quebec situation back in 1995, or does this have some legs to it?

Eagan 02-07-2014 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ma Caque Attaque (Post 1061982)
Cameron pleads for Scotland to stay.

Curious for our scots and english posters. What's the mood over there? Is this looking like the Quebec situation back in 1995, or does this have some legs to it?

Scotland won't leave the union, unless something big happens between now and then, which I doubt. A lot of people are pissed off with Westminster, me included, and that's moved some over to the "YES" side. Smarter folk among us, however, are aware that we are already shielded from Westminster's policies by the Scottish Parliament, and that Cameron has promised full fiscal devolution in the event of a "NO" vote. In other words, voting "NO" guarantees us the economic and cultural benefits of the union, along with the ability to decide our own policies.

On another note, you really shouldn't read the Daily Mail.

RobLore 02-07-2014 03:16 PM

Aren't pretty much all British newspapers shit?

Eagan 02-07-2014 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobLore (Post 1062004)

We have a vibrant "tabloid industry", for what I reason I cannot imagine. However, some are worse than others.

Hammerbrew 02-08-2014 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobLore (Post 1062004)

Pretty much, but some are, indeed, worse than others.

But ignore Eagan. His ilk love to bash the Daily Mail because it's Right-Wing, not because of any good reasons.

Some of what they print is absolute shit. See every newspaper ever, they're not unique here.

Personally I find the Guardian a worse paper, but go figure; it's Left-Wing drivel so it's no suprise I dislike it.

Shaman 02-08-2014 07:46 AM

While on the topic of British newspapers

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammerbrew (Post 1062316)
Pretty much, but some are, indeed, worse than others.

But ignore Eagan. His ilk love to bash the Daily Mail because it's Right-Wing, not because of any good reasons.

Some of what they print is absolute shit. See every newspaper ever, they're not unique here.

Personally I find the Guardian a worse paper, but go figure; it's Left-Wing drivel so it's no suprise I dislike it.

People bash the Daily Mail because its dumb, petty and aims for the lowest common denominator. Sensible Tories don't like that rag either.