Scrolls of Lore Forums

Scrolls of Lore Forums (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/index.php)
-   Halls of Lordaeron (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Yakisoba Hungering - The International Games Thread (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/showthread.php?t=30985)

C9H20 11-01-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tilgath (Post 579588)
You're the one who called an entire subsection of people a "disease", not me.

If I were to say, for example, that I think all serbs are backwards troglodytes who are a blemish on the human gene pool and we should "cure" the world of them, then I'd be an asshole.

Look dude anyone who is remotely interested in what I said in the Politic Thread can go and look it up for themselves, stop misconstructing my argument left and right, the highlight of your delusion is reading my message of "it is a condition we can do nothing about for now, so we should treat them with equal respect" as a call to genocide.

So yes you are either stupid or an asshole, make your pick.

EDIT: I will not waste any more time on you.

Erthad 11-01-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tilgath (Post 579588)
You're the one who called an entire subsection of people a "disease", not me.

If I were to say, for example, that I think all serbs are backwards troglodytes who are a blemish on the human gene pool and we should "cure" the world of them, then I'd be an asshole.

http://cache.ohinternet.com/images/5...t_pokemons.jpg

Tilgath 11-01-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C9H20 (Post 579595)
Look dude anyone who is remotely interested in what I said in the Politic Thread can go and look it up for themselves, stop misconstructing my argument left and right, the highlight of your delusion is reading my message of "it is a condition we can do nothing about for now, so we should treat them with equal respect" as a call to genocide.

So yes you are either stupid or an asshole, make your pick.

EDIT: I will not waste any more time on you.

The difference is that what I said was a ridiculous hypothetical. You actually believe that certain people are a "disease" that need to be cured. So, IMO, the asshole title rests squarely on your shoulders.

And stop trying to backpedal. I didn't misconstrue anything. You said that homosexuality is a disease that serves no function and should be cured. The fact that you then tried to cushion that by saying since no cure has been developed yet, they should be treated with respect is almost laughable.

"I think the love you have for someone is equatable with herpes, but since I can't cure you, I respect you ^_^"

Get the fuck out of here with that.

@Erthad: An apt description of my general thoughts towards C9H20's position, as well as any position of such blatant dehumanization of other groups.

Millenia 11-01-2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fojar (Post 579593)
Wait, homosexuality is a "problem" now?

In the same sense of people wearing clothes made out of mixed material, women speaking in church instead of taking care of the children, people eating animals that are of "mixed" categories (pigs, lobsters, shellfish, etc), people worshiping beings not named Yahweh or not worshiping in the specific manner of the speaker, people eating meat on Fridays, people leaving their property during the day of rest (which is clearly Friday evening through Saturday and not Sunday or Friday, you Hellbound assholes), people thinking the day (as a 24 hour unit of time) doesn't start at sundown, and people touching menstruating women are problems.

Lord Eliphas 11-01-2012 06:13 PM

Lobster is the best though

Millenia 11-01-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Eliphas (Post 579671)
Lobster is the best though

If it provides you with positive sensory input, then it is most certainly a sin to partake of it.

Lord Eliphas 11-01-2012 06:21 PM

Even if you serve Jesus you will never escape sin.

In fact, you have a sin credit card that will be 'paid'.

Leviathon 11-01-2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Eliphas (Post 579679)
Even if you serve Jesus you will never escape sin.

In fact, you have a sin credit card that will be 'paid'.

One of my co-workers was given one of those 'sin cards' the other day. We drew Raptor Jesus on it and put a box with an X in it under the 2 bible verse choices.

Lord Eliphas 11-01-2012 06:55 PM

You are a saint.

Let November 1st be your Saint Day.

C9H20 11-01-2012 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Eliphas (Post 579679)
Even if you serve Jesus you will never escape sin.

In fact, you have a sin credit card that will be 'paid'.

Some Orthodox theologists hold the stance that after death one has to pass trough many checkpoints, imagine them like customs offices and each one is run by a demon, these demons at each checkpoint probe the person for certain sinful behaviors (when put together those are all temptations in existence). And seek to see if the person has committed enough good deeds to counteract the sin he committed (the good deed needs to be the opposite of the sin), if the person fails they are dragged to hell.

An interesting source (not sure where from) is that the Holy Mother Herself was afraid of going trough this process and prayed to Jesus to take her to Heaven directly, so she can skip this extreme scrutiny.

Considering how harsh this belief is, I think it is little wonder why it isn't mainstream :D

Lord Eliphas 11-01-2012 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C9H20 (Post 579696)
Some Orthodox theologists hold the stance that after death one has to pass trough many checkpoints, imagine them like customs offices and each one is run by a demon, these demons at each checkpoint probe the person for certain sinful behaviors (when put together those are all temptations in existence). And seek to see if the person has committed enough good deeds to counteract the sin he committed (the good deed needs to be the opposite of the sin), if the person fails they are dragged to hell.

An interesting source (not sure where from) is that the Holy Mother Herself was afraid of going trough this process and prayed to Jesus to take her to Heaven directly, so she can skip this extreme scrutiny.

Considering how harsh this belief is, I think it is little wonder why it isn't mainstream :D


Catholics call it Purgatory.

Protestants think they get a free-pass into heaven. Rather amusing too.

Anansi 11-01-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Eliphas (Post 579700)
Catholics call it Purgatory.

Protestants think they get a free-pass into heaven. Rather amusing too.

"Protestant" is a pretty broad title.

Dithon1 11-01-2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Eliphas (Post 579700)
Protestants think they get a free-pass into heaven. Rather amusing too.

Hey look: Hyperbole!

Protestants are waaaay too varied the specifics of their denominational beliefs to be generalized like that.

Ashendant 11-01-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dithon1 (Post 579764)
Hey look: Hyperbole!

Protestants are waaaay too varied the specifics of their denominational beliefs to be generalized like that.

You can pretty much say anything about Abrahamic Faiths trough the differences between themselves are minimal when compared to other religions.

Bolvar 11-01-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archimedes (Post 579762)
"Protestant" is a pretty broad title.

"Free pass" is a pretty broad statement.

But don't let that stop him. Any opportunity to take a cheap shot at all things resembling politically-right conservatism is pretty much his game around here.

Back on the subject of International Politics - Madeline Albright has fans in Prague, it seems...

Dithon1 11-01-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashendant (Post 579767)
You can pretty much say anything about Abrahamic Faiths trough the differences between themselves are minimal when compared to other religions.

Hardly. It's the small details that really set religions apart; having the same God and possible afterlives is rather moot when what needs to be done to "earn" them are radically different.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolvar (Post 579768)
But don't let that stop him. Any opportunity to take a cheap shot at all things resembling politically-right conservatism is pretty much his game around here.

This does the opposite of reinforcing your argument. It just makes you seem like you're making yourself a victim, and nobody respects that.

Lord Eliphas 11-01-2012 09:47 PM

If I wanted to be specific - I may exclude anabaptists to the concept and mostly attach the feeling towards the Baptism here in the deep South.

However, Then I suppose you want me to get more 'detailed'. As in what Baptists do I mean, The Old Baptists? (Calvinists) or the 'New' Brand? (..Baptists :V)

In both cases they have a 'free pass'. And by free-pass I mean the dogma being faith in Jesus = salvation. It doesn't irk me as much as it has before, but it's still a foreign concept in that they literally emphasize faith being the only way to salvation. No matter what. Once you believe Jesus is your savior - bam. It's all done - everything else is a secondary factor.

My own trips have been to the First Euless Baptist church right next to my school. Literally, just a street cross.

They have okay songs, nothing too tasteful or bad. The politics infused in with her disgust me, mostly because it shouldn't have petty politics of the "right" or the "left". Hell the politics of the New Testament are basically 'Oppose Empire'. In which Jesus was doing alot of time opposing - the Roman Empire occupying Judea.

Quote:

"Protestant" is a pretty broad title.
It certainly is.

But I use that title to refer to all the sects that split off from the Western Church, as that's what 'unites' them so to say.

Catholics are divided into the 'Catholic' and 'Liberation Theologist' sects.

Orthodox into The Orthodox and the Old Believers (Orthodox being per region)

But 'Protestant' is the only real term to unify any splits (or as to be funny - the Schismastic churches) that happened during the Protestant Reformation and post-Protestant Reformation.

There is really nothing else that unites them except for emphasis of faith alot. Honestly remove those two things and it's a varied clusterfuck.

Quote:

Any opportunity to take a cheap shot at all things resembling politically-right conservatism is pretty much his game around here.
To be frank, I normally equate 'Protestant' with 'Protestant'.

And; because I haven't really hit on people like Jimmy Carter whom I loathe for supporting Somoza and his National Guard..Or how F.D.R. welcomed Somoza Sr. with open arms along with other dictators. *Changing a different policy concerning dictators aren't legitimate via a coup unless an election happens into dictators are legitimate whom do not specifically need elections*

though I am grateful you didn't use the word 'Republican'. Machiavelli would turn in his grave if he saw people like the 'Republican party' using such a passionate word.

Or Titus Levicus.

Bolvar 11-01-2012 09:51 PM

Long-winded posts don't actually make you any more well-informed on the topic.

"Protestant" is essentially any faith that calls itself "Christian" without being part of the Roman Catholic Church.

And if you can't acknowledge that a "protestant" faith like the Jehovah's Witnesses has almost NOTHING in common with, say, an evangelical Baptist, then you're being deliberately ignorant and you need to either do some more reading or abandon a false pretense when you're called out on it.

Erthad 11-01-2012 09:56 PM

I come from an opposite background. To me, having to "earn" Heaven is way out there and heretical. Nothing in the Bible points to salvation needing to be earned.

Lord Eliphas 11-01-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

"Protestant" is essentially any faith that calls itself "Christian" without being part of the Roman Catholic Church.
Congratz, you just said what I said.

'But I use that title to refer to all the sects that split off from the Western Church, as that's what 'unites' them so to say.'

However, I'll like to point out the error in that statement.

That statement also includes Churches under the Coptics (or "Oriental Orthodoxy") and the Orthodox.

Really, more specific definition would be any faith that has both separated from the Roman Catholic Church as well as remain independent of the Eastern Churches. The common factor of the churches is being independent of all those churches and remaining autonomous to certain extents.


Quote:

And if you can't acknowledge that a "protestant" faith like the Jehovah's Witnesses has almost NOTHING in common with, say, an evangelical Baptist,
My, my how you ignore my words.

"There is really nothing else that unites them except for emphasis of faith alot. Honestly remove those two things and it's a varied clusterfuck."

Removing the fact of being independent of the West and Eastern Churches and emphsise of faith; yes there is nothing that is really common between any of the 'protestant faiths'. An Angelican will be different from a Methodist whom is different from an Anabaptist whom is different from a Calvinist and so on and so forth.

The redundancy of going over this is rather inspiring.

Quote:

then you're being deliberately ignorant and you need to either do some more reading or abandon a false pretense when you're called out on it.
Normally I'd point of the irony of the statement.

Yet I never stated this false pretense - the general term of 'Protestant' is all that actually gives some unity of the Schismastic Western Churches.

Hell, I don't see you trying to get me for ignoring the Arian Christians, and those that rejected parts of the Ecumenical councils.

Then I'd actually say, yes I ignored them because they're mostly as dead as shit.

Quote:

Nothing in the Bible points to salvation needing to be earned.
Whilst I was raised Catholic, I've long abandoned it.

However, (if to be fair) I'm mostly pondering on your thoughts on why the Pauline Epistles get more emphasis, talked about more, and are the things-to-go when someone argues against the salvation by faith concept or questions it.

However, I myself am a fan of James. So I'm biased in that I prefer James "if you do solely one thing, you've entirely forgotten the point". Plus 'Bro of Jesus' just makes you sound cool.

C9H20 11-01-2012 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolvar (Post 579768)
Back on the subject of International Politics - Madeline Albright has fans in Prague, it seems...

What a cunt.

I heard of this story before but I had no idea she used such deplorable language, she deserves anything people throw at her.

I was also very pleased to hear of such sympathetic Czechs, glad to see at least some foreigners are aware of the crimes committed by NATO, crimes that so far no one has ever answered for.

Bolvar 11-02-2012 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C9H20 (Post 579813)
What a cunt.

I heard of this story before but I had no idea she used such deplorable language, she deserves anything people throw at her.

I was also very pleased to hear of such sympathetic Czechs, glad to see at least some foreigners are aware of the crimes committed by NATO, crimes that so far no one has ever answered for.

She was behind a lot of that mess, too. An atrocity that never got any real attention in the press, and the media did nothing to hold the Clinton administration accountable, mostly because everyone was happy to cash in on all the reckless economic maneuvers he employed and that we're now paying for.

Kir the Wizard 11-02-2012 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolvar (Post 579791)
Long-winded posts don't actually make you any more well-informed on the topic.

That's right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolvar (Post 579791)
"Protestant" is essentially any faith that calls itself "Christian" without being part of the Roman Catholic Church.

That's wrong.

Protestants (and the "Reformed", if you want to differentiate between the post-Lutheran and post-Calvinist groups, respectively) come from the reformation of the western Catholic Church. Eastern Christians are older than both, and are surely not defined as "Protestants" at all.

Though, would one call the Hussites protestants, I wonder?

Lowtide 11-02-2012 05:43 AM

Oh hey religion!
And I thought this was the "not US" politics thread :P

Kir the Wizard 11-02-2012 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lowtide (Post 579867)
Oh hey religion!
And I thought this was the "not US" politics thread :P



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.