Scrolls of Lore Forums

Scrolls of Lore Forums (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/index.php)
-   Halls of Lordaeron (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Yakisoba Hungering - The International Games Thread (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/showthread.php?t=30985)

Omacron 03-04-2014 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle (Post 1076260)
I'd have complained about it a lot in high school, but this service would be the sort of "character-building" experience that can help a person. I've been a Type 1 diabetic since age three, so military was never an option (plus I have bad eyesight, and some other health problems).

I really don't think enough people feel investment in their country. Such a policy might help increase a person's investment, and expose them to a wider variety of people. Maybe it'd even erode some of the political polarization.

You could have some "experts" try to assign people, but I doubt they'd do a good job of it.

This is really a pipe dream policy, however.

My high school had a mandatory community service thing. Somehow I managed to graduate with honors without doing it, while all my friends did.

Kellick 03-04-2014 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omacron (Post 1076264)
My high school had a mandatory community service thing. Somehow I managed to graduate with honors without doing it, while all my friends did.

Same here. In Ontario, you're required to do 40 hours of community service in high school.

Dithon1 03-04-2014 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omacron (Post 1076264)

I had to do something similar.

I was lucky and got to work with animals instead of picking up garbage.

PajamaSalad 03-04-2014 07:57 PM

I was just a tutor in high school.

HlaaluStyle 03-04-2014 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nazja (Post 1076261)
We had that. We got rid of it.

You're talking about the mandatory military service? I was actually in Berlin on the day they got rid of that.

However, this idea of mine wouldn't be purely military.

ijffdrie 03-04-2014 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kellick (Post 1076268)
Same here. In Ontario, you're required to do 40 hours of community service in high school.

We get to do a real job for a week in high school, and since my job was for the government (specifically, the spatial organization service), I guess I did do roughly equivalent public service hours to those 40 you did.

Though I got to explain to the highest-ranking officials of Amsterdam how they screwed up and got handed a book with plans that would be extremely controversial if they weren't being held secret, so it was kind of more awesome than I expected.

Omacron 03-04-2014 08:28 PM

I think what happened was that my robotics team did have a program where they would go to a local nursing home and teach dottering old folks how to use computers- but I never actually went with the team to do that because I was too busy putting our fucking robot together, but I think somehow the team's combined community service hours were distributed to everyone on it.

HlaaluStyle 03-04-2014 09:48 PM

My high school also had a community service requirement. I fulfilled it by working as a conflict mediator. In other words, I helped students resolve disputes that had gotten administrative attention. I don't think it accomplished much (the funniest was when the students involved had long since settled their dispute and we all just went through the motions).

Kellick 03-04-2014 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ijffdrie (Post 1076275)
We get to do a real job for a week in high school, and since my job was for the government (specifically, the spatial organization service), I guess I did do roughly equivalent public service hours to those 40 you did.

Though I got to explain to the highest-ranking officials of Amsterdam how they screwed up and got handed a book with plans that would be extremely controversial if they weren't being held secret, so it was kind of more awesome than I expected.

Yeah, I happened to be on good terms with the organizer of a summer camp in the area at the time, so I just asked if they could use some help, then basically got credit for a week of outdoor activities. :P

Nazja 03-05-2014 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle (Post 1076273)
You're talking about the mandatory military service? I was actually in Berlin on the day they got rid of that.

However, this idea of mine wouldn't be purely military.

We had both. Not everyone wants to join the military, so there had to be an alternative.

Omacron 03-05-2014 03:52 AM

I don't believe I should be forced to help people. I'm not sure if people are worthy of help.

Torch 03-05-2014 04:23 AM

Didn't really have to do all that much "community work" at secondary school- apart from the standard "get the students to do some of the tidying up of the playgrounds and classrooms", the 6th form charity stuff (Our class somehow didn't end up doing it, probably because our form tutor objected to the idea of a sponsored cop-out), though I chose to be a prefect (again, managing tidying up, a few community events (which I tended not to do because of being busy with stuff)).

I did do some community stuff with the scouts though, and through D of E.

PajamaSalad 03-05-2014 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omacron (Post 1076358)
I don't believe I should be forced to help people. I'm not sure if people are worthy of help.

If you felt more invested in your community you would be more willing to help.

Eagan 03-05-2014 07:33 AM

Finally, it appears there has been some anti-Russian resistance in Eastern Ukraine. It seems the Russian flag has been lowered in Donetsk. Anti-invasion protestors have taken to the streets.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A240JC20140305

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...arate-by-force

Quote:

"I am Russian, my family speaks Russian, but I am against separatism. We don't want Russian troops here to separate us by force,"

Bolvar 03-05-2014 08:50 AM

Yeah, shit is getting real in Kir's hometown. :(

Yaskaleh 03-05-2014 09:09 AM

Seems the russian flag has been raised again in Donetsk.
The phone conversation between Estonian Foreign Affairs Minister and the EU Foreign Affairs Chief Catherine Ashton puts another spin to the protests abd the bloodshed that occured.

Shroombie 03-05-2014 09:26 AM

Quote:

EMAIL 16:21
Vladimir in Kerch, Crimea
emails: I live in Crimea. All my friends support Russia. All residents in the Crimea speak Russian. We were tired from Ukraine imposing its views. We do not want to live in a fascist state. We want to be together with our Russian brothers.
Russian plz go

PajamaSalad 03-05-2014 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolvar (Post 1076417)
Yeah, shit is getting real in Kir's hometown. :(

:(

Ma Caque Attaque 03-05-2014 09:30 AM

On the lighter side.

Tips from the French about traveling to America and what to expect!

http://mentalfloss.com/article/55306...siting-america

Bolvar 03-05-2014 10:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Seems legit...

Tilgath 03-05-2014 11:26 AM

dat oscars selfie

Ashendant 03-05-2014 02:02 PM

http://satwcomic.com/art/cold-but-heating-up.jpg

Nazja 03-05-2014 02:09 PM

Looks French.

ijffdrie 03-05-2014 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nazja (Post 1076510)
Looks French.

France and europe are one! Baguette supremacy! Germany shall become the new wallonia! The empire must be restored! The foreign legion shall be sent to Ukraine!

Ashendant 03-05-2014 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nazja (Post 1076510)
Looks French.

What?