Scrolls of Lore Forums

Scrolls of Lore Forums (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/index.php)
-   Halls of Lordaeron (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Yakisoba Hungering - The International Games Thread (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/showthread.php?t=30985)

Millenia 05-31-2013 06:52 PM

http://www.theworld.org/2013/05/nort...for-g8-summit/

Chef 05-31-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Millenia (Post 834498)
Because they were descended from the Celts who got conquered by the Normans/Angloes/Saxons/Romans. In other words, the Native Brits of the time. :P

... That didn't even answer my question.

If anything, the Celts and Germanic peoples were whiter that the Romans and Mediterranean peoples ever were.

The racial discrimination towards the Irish goes back to the British Empire where Irishmen were considered inferior to ethnic Englishmen. The stereotypes even persist to this day: the Irish are comically portrayed as drunkards and dim-witted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Millenia (Post 834498)
In addition, the Athenians weren't originally considered Greek, either, but over time they became thought of as such.

It's obvious that during the era of the city-states in classical Greece, no national identity had developed before they rallied together against a common enemy, like the Persians.

PajamaSalad 05-31-2013 06:55 PM

But what happens if the indigenous European people get out breeded and over populated by the immigrants? The birthrate of the indigenous Europeans is extremely low. Will they 'breed' themselves out of existence?

Ashendant 05-31-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pajamasalad (Post 834520)
But what happens if the indigenous European people get out breeded and over populated by the immigrants? The birthrate of the indigenous Europeans is extremely low. Will they 'breed' themselves out of existence?

Immigrants tend to stop overbreeding after 2 or 3 generations here.
And while yes Europeans need to be financially motivated into breeding more.

Chef 05-31-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Don't worry, there's enough white people in Canada and Australia to compensate.

The immigrants will eventually assimilate and blend in with the local European populace. Just as how the Romans mixed and mingled with the Dacians in Romania and eventually became indistinguishable from one another. Another, more modern example would be the Jewish diaspora in Europe. Honestly, can you tell if a white guy's Jewish or not? :P

Garotar 05-31-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

That will happen anywhere that has falling birthrates and relies on immigration to support population growth. It's also a consequence of societal changes that make it so that children are not as needed that immigrants take longer to acclimatize to.

Shaman 05-31-2013 07:05 PM

Oh no, those different-skinned people are having babies. The end of civilization is nigh.

Chef 05-31-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarahmoo (Post 834539)
Oh no, those different-skinned people are having babies. The end of civilization is nigh.

It doesn't help that the Iberians the Mediterraneans are encroaching in Germanic territory as well. Save Magna Germania! Expel the Southerners out.

Lord Eliphas 05-31-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Call the Norse!

Call the Zoroastrianism!

PajamaSalad 05-31-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

You are kind of a bully.

Chef 05-31-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pajamasalad (Post 834565)
You are kind of a bully.

http://www.whoisbolaji.com/wp-conten...crying-kid.jpg

Garotar 05-31-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

You are kind of a bully.

To be honest, it's kind of a silly thing to be worried about.

PajamaSalad 05-31-2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garotar (Post 834568)

I am not worried. I was just curious.

Ashendant 05-31-2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garotar (Post 834568)

A bit, but it becomes worrying with the whole religious criticism being illegal.

Millenia 05-31-2013 07:16 PM

Easy Guide to Making Ghettos: a Dispatch From the Nybro Action Team

Quote:

You are kind of a bully.

No, she'd be a bully if she said you were a racist shithead*. She's just being a jerk by mocking your concerns. Learn the difference. :P

* No, I am not saying you are, either.

SmokeBlader 05-31-2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

You are kind of a bully.

Not sure if sarcasm.

Ganishka 05-31-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Most of the sentiment against immigrants is aimed at one particular group, not all of them.

Garotar 05-31-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ganishka (Post 834788)
Most of the sentiment against immigrants is aimed at one particular group, not all of them.

Doesn't make the statement less valid.

Arashi 05-31-2013 10:29 PM

I just heard that some shit is going down at Turkey right now. They say that the millitary is going to overthrow the government.

Omacron 06-01-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arashi (Post 834927)
I just heard that some shit is going down at Turkey right now. They say that the millitary is going to overthrow the government.

I was actually just logging in here to ask about this. A lot of people have been saying that the "Islamist" government of Turkey is about to fall, which made me a little confused. I thought Turkey was the most secular of the middle eastern states and, in fact, had enforced secularism in their constitution? They're heavily nationalist ("Kemalist") but not Islamist... but I also heard that recently the nation banned alcohol and abortions so I don't know if they became more religiously conservative in recent years and I just wasn't paying attention?

I get the impression though that the military overthrowing the Turkish government is actually a semi-recurring thing and isn't necessarily looked upon as bad by the Turkish people.

Chef 06-01-2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omacron (Post 835852)
I thought Turkey was the most secular of the middle eastern states and, in fact, had enforced secularism in their constitution?.

What you said is true.

Nine years after its introduction, la´citÚ was explicitly stated in the second article of the then Turkish constitution on February 5, 1937. The current Constitution of 1982 neither recognizes an official religion nor promotes any. This includes Islam, to which at least nominally more than 99% of its citizens subscribe.

What confuses me most is that all of this violence stemmed from a group of people who occupied a park in Istanbul because they didn't want one of the few last green spaces in the city to be demolished. It wasn't Occupy Wall Street or anything. This was basically the police and the military responding radically towards an environmental protest the likes of Greenpeace would have done.

Korath 06-01-2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef (Post 834530)
Don't worry, there's enough white people in Canada and Australia to compensate.

The immigrants will eventually assimilate and blend in with the local European populace. Just as how the Romans mixed and mingled with the Dacians in Romania and eventually became indistinguishable from one another. Another, more modern example would be the Jewish diaspora in Europe. Honestly, can you tell if a white guy's Jewish or not? :P

Sometime you can. Believe me, I see Rabbi Jacob everyday since I live near a jewish school.

C9H20 06-01-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

I was actually just logging in here to ask about this. A lot of people have been saying that the "Islamist" government of Turkey is about to fall, which made me a little confused. I thought Turkey was the most secular of the middle eastern states and, in fact, had enforced secularism in their constitution? They're heavily nationalist ("Kemalist") but not Islamist... but I also heard that recently the nation banned alcohol and abortions so I don't know if they became more religiously conservative in recent years and I just wasn't paying attention?

I get the impression though that the military overthrowing the Turkish government is actually a semi-recurring thing and isn't necessarily looked upon as bad by the Turkish people.

I don't know about the last bit but Turkey has been experiencing a resurge of Islamism lately so if the army has toppled the government it is likely a re-reactionist current of secularism.

Hopefully at least. As my mother likes to say even when things are evil they can still get worse.

Ujimasa Hojo 06-01-2013 09:42 AM

From what I watch from the news, some citizens from Turkey are getting angry at the government for getting involved in the Syrian civil war. Some complained that the government is being pro-Syrian rebels, pro-Israel, pro-west, etc.

Ganishka 06-01-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

It's been steadily turning Islamist. Especially since Erdogan came to power.