Scrolls of Lore Forums

Scrolls of Lore Forums (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Video Game Industry News, Discussions, and Misc Fun Thread (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/showthread.php?t=186505)

CoDimus the Staunch 06-21-2014 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spidey1980 (Post 1146568)
Gothic

Old but awesome.

Already played that.

Ashendant 06-21-2014 01:28 PM

Bought Papers, Please. Let's see if I can get Banished.

Saranus 06-21-2014 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoDimus the Staunch (Post 1147035)
Already played that.

Fallout series?

Ashendant 06-21-2014 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saranus (Post 1147137)
Fallout series?

Wasteland 2 is from the original fallout creators but it's too expensive for me right now.

Hammerbrew 06-21-2014 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashendant (Post 1147149)
Wasteland 2 is from the original fallout creators but it's too expensive for me right now.

And it's still in Early Alpha. No way in lemon scented hell I'm paying for it at this price while it's an Alpha. If it goes down to 85% (which it won't, I know) then perhaps, but otherwise, nah.

Apophis 06-21-2014 05:44 PM

I just bought Fallout 3 for the PC on steam (only 5 bucks!) and I was wondering if there any essential mods that I should get that aren't included in the current steam version.

I'm mostly referring to gameplay mods since the graphics aren't that bad.

Erthad 06-21-2014 06:21 PM

I am happy. I finally figured out how to mod Sins of a Solar empire.

CoDimus the Staunch 06-21-2014 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saranus (Post 1147137)
Fallout series?

Now, that does sound interesting, actually. So should I start with Fallout 1, or with some newer game?

Dithon1 06-21-2014 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashendant (Post 1147136)
Bought Papers, Please. Let's see if I can get Banished.

Banished is pretty fun, but it gets sort of boring after a while. Sort of like playing Dwarf Fortress but without all the crazy stuff like Elves demanding you only cut down ten trees, or Goblin invasions, or when a marauding band of elephants or unicorns decides to kill anyone above ground.

Just food, fuel, and shelter again and again.

spidey1980 06-22-2014 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoDimus the Staunch (Post 1147364)
Now, that does sound interesting, actually. So should I start with Fallout 1, or with some newer game?

Since all Fallout games tell their own stories, it really doesn't matter which one you pick.
However, since you've played Oblivion, Fallout 3 will make you instantly feel at home as it was done with the same engine.
Same goes for Fallout New Vegas, of course. FO 3 has a better post-apocalyptic atmosphere, New Vegas has the better story.

Jungleluke 06-22-2014 09:36 AM

That Shadow of Mordor game looks quite nice, I know it's not really book- or movie-material, but I think it has the the same visual-style as Peter Jackson's adaptation. I might buy it if the reviews are good.:)

Aneurysm 06-22-2014 09:45 AM

Is Wolfenstein: The New Order worth playing?

CoDimus the Staunch 06-22-2014 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aneurysm (Post 1147559)
Is Wolfenstein: The New Order worth playing?

I have heard quite a lot of good stuff about it, although haven't played it.

Ashendant 06-22-2014 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dithon1 (Post 1147366)
Banished is pretty fun, but it gets sort of boring after a while. Sort of like playing Dwarf Fortress but without all the crazy stuff like Elves demanding you only cut down ten trees, or Goblin invasions, or when a marauding band of elephants or unicorns decides to kill anyone above ground.

Just food, fuel, and shelter again and again.

So I couldn't buy it, hope there's a better price later again.

There doesn't seem to be any good game right now.

Blayze 06-22-2014 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spidey1980 (Post 1147547)
Since all Fallout games tell their own stories, it really doesn't matter which one you pick.

Fallout 2 is the exception; I recommend playing the first one first if you ever plan on playing 2.

Fordragon 06-22-2014 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blayze (Post 1147627)
Fallout 2 is the exception; I recommend playing the first one first if you ever plan on playing 2.

I would say there's about as many direct ties between FO1 and FO2 as there are between FO2 and FONV.

Blayze 06-22-2014 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fordragon (Post 1147706)
I would say there's about as many direct ties between FO1 and FO2 as there are between FO2 and FONV.

I mean in the sense that unless you play the first game, you won't understand quite why the Vault Dweller is considered such a big deal by the tribals in the second.

Ardeiute 06-22-2014 04:24 PM

So I ordered the Xbox360 controller USB for the PC, it is to arrive Tuesday. Ill be picking up Super SFIV for Steam, and the Turbo upgrade when it comes out, either right when it goes on sale, or when I get the receiver. Ill be too impatient to play to wait for the $5 sale it could get.

Does anyone else play? I played it for PS3 when it came out with my roommate and really enjoyed it.

Fordragon 06-22-2014 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blayze (Post 1147717)
I mean in the sense that unless you play the first game, you won't understand quite why the Vault Dweller is considered such a big deal by the tribals in the second.

I disagree. The regard your tribe holds him in is pretty easy to understand: he's a Moses-type figure who brought them together and lead them to their current home. I think it would be interesting to see the reactions of someone who never played the first one, because just like their character, the player would start out only knowing the tribal legends you hear from the Elder, and they would learn more as they go through the game, meeting Harold, Lenny and Tandi who all met him in real life, and hearing their stories.

Lord Eliphas 06-22-2014 10:10 PM

Either way the original Fallouts surpass the new ones due to their actual knowledge on ambiguity and morality. As well as, you know, not fucking stealing shit (thanks Fallout 3), and making actual conflicts be of importance to you. Or, you can flat out ignore them and go on your way.

Fallout 1 is the better narrative, Fallout 2 has more side-quests and 'depth' as in the world is rebuilding. While in Fallout 1, it's just a pathetic rag-tag pile of survivors.

Hammerbrew 06-23-2014 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Eliphas (Post 1147907)
Either way the original Fallouts surpass the new ones due to their actual knowledge on ambiguity and morality. As well as, you know, not fucking stealing shit (thanks Fallout 3), and making actual conflicts be of importance to you. Or, you can flat out ignore them and go on your way.

Fallout 1 is the better narrative, Fallout 2 has more side-quests and 'depth' as in the world is rebuilding. While in Fallout 1, it's just a pathetic rag-tag pile of survivors.

This.

New Vegas was a good attempt at capturing the spirit of the older Fallout games, 3 had nearly nothing in common bar the name. (Still a good game)

Drusus 06-23-2014 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammerbrew (Post 1147979)
This.

New Vegas was a good attempt at capturing the spirit of the older Fallout games, 3 had nearly nothing in common bar the name. (Still a good game)

New Vegas was brilliant. I enjoyed 3 immensely but I still greatly prefer New Vegas. As usual though, it suffered from Obsidian's curse of "fucked by their publisher".

Though I find myself comparing Cyi-zar's Legion fanboys to Horde apologists.

spidey1980 06-23-2014 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drusus (Post 1148001)
New Vegas was brilliant. I enjoyed 3 immensely but I still greatly prefer New Vegas.

The main reason why i prefer FO3 over FO:NV is that NV just doesn't feel Endtimes-ish enough. I mean, the whole game takes place in a region where no bombs fell at all. There's civilisation in the process of rebuilding, farming crops is not much of a problem and even the goddamn Hoover damn provides quite a bit of electricity.
Considering the setting, NV is the garden spot of the Fallout Verse which kinda takes away some of the grittiness and atmosphere.
They tried to make up for that with Lonesome Road but the DLC was way too linear.
FO3's Capitol Wasteland was much better, especially when you're scavenging around in the ruins of Washington DC. That place got hit hard by the nukes and it shows.

Drusus 06-23-2014 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spidey1980 (Post 1148006)
The main reason why i prefer FO3 over FO:NV is that NV just doesn't feel Endtimes-ish enough. I mean, the whole game takes place in a region where no bombs fell at all. There's civilisation in the process of rebuilding, farming crops is not much of a problem and even the goddamn Hoover damn provides quite a bit of electricity.
Considering the setting, NV is the garden spot of the Fallout Verse which kinda takes away some of the grittiness and atmosphere.
They tried to make up for that with Lonesome Road but the DLC was way too linear.
FO3's Capitol Wasteland was much better, especially when you're scavenging around in the ruins of Washington DC. That place got hit hard by the nukes and it shows.

New Vegas always felt darker to me. It wasn't as in your face, but it was there. Fallout 3's 'greyness' extends to how much you sympathise with the Enclave and how much you think the idea of killing everybody (and yourself) is a good idea. Granted, Cy-zar's Legion is about as sympathetic as the Horde circa MoP but at least everywhere you go there seem to be a lot more 'human' problems.

I don't know. the Capital Wasteland always felt a bit... dark-ish, but never really gritty? Walking across the Mojave the art palette always felt a little dirtier in that sense. Really though I felt like the Capital Wasteland wasn't being built up enough. They're what, hundreds of years post-bombs now? DC itself might remain a smoking crater, but it was all around so barren when I'd have expected more stuff like what we saw in the Mojave.

Dithon1 06-23-2014 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drusus (Post 1148008)
New Vegas always felt darker to me. It wasn't as in your face, but it was there. Fallout 3's 'greyness' extends to how much you sympathise with the Enclave and how much you think the idea of killing everybody (and yourself) is a good idea. Granted, Cy-zar's Legion is about as sympathetic as the Horde circa MoP but at least everywhere you go there seem to be a lot more 'human' problems.

I don't know. the Capital Wasteland always felt a bit... dark-ish, but never really gritty? Walking across the Mojave the art palette always felt a little dirtier in that sense. Really though I felt like the Capital Wasteland wasn't being built up enough. They're what, hundreds of years post-bombs now? DC itself might remain a smoking crater, but it was all around so barren when I'd have expected more stuff like what we saw in the Mojave.

New Vegas is by far my favorite. I wish they'd done more with the DLC, though.