Scrolls of Lore Forums

Scrolls of Lore Forums (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Video Game Industry News, Discussions, and Misc Fun Thread (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/showthread.php?t=186505)

Fordragon 12-12-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by destron (Post 1022693)
Fallout 3 is still pretty highly regarded, and I do think it's a good game. It's just the weakest entry in the main Fallout series (and is the weakest by a pretty significant margin).

Fallout 3 is a good Elder Scrolls game with guns. It is a very poor Fallout game. Other than just being a generally weaker game than the other three, it's significantly weaker in the things that make Fallout, Fallout. Binary outcomes are clearly a big step forward for BethSoft's writing team but they fall way short of what's expected for Fallout, for instance.

Ardeiute 12-13-2013 01:35 AM

FINAL FANTASY VIII IS NOW ON STEAM!!!

This was my first FF game. I lost my discs about 10 years ago. I can not explain how excited I am to finally play this game again!!!!

Commander Rotal 12-13-2013 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ardeiute (Post 1023652)
FINAL FANTASY VIII IS NOW ON STEAM!!!

This was my first FF game. I lost my discs about 10 years ago. I can not explain how excited I am to finally play this game again!!!!

You're a bit late, and before you buy it, hear these facts:

1.) You require a Square/Enix account or a Failbook account to log into FF8.
2.) It's apparently always online - cut your internet and you're out.
3.) They fucked up the music but there's sort of a fix and when they did the same thing with FF7 they patched it later because of backlash.
4.) They updated the characters a bit but not the background - looks horrible on high resolutions.

Still bought it. It's too good a game to not have it in my collection again. I have it somewhere in a box for PS1 but at some point in time i lost both of my memory cards.

Ardeiute 12-13-2013 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rotal (Post 1023665)
You're a bit late, and before you buy it, hear these facts:

1.) You require a Square/Enix account or a Failbook account to log into FF8.
2.) It's apparently always online - cut your internet and you're out.
3.) They fucked up the music but there's sort of a fix and when they did the same thing with FF7 they patched it later because of backlash.
4.) They updated the characters a bit but not the background - looks horrible on high resolutions.

Still bought it. It's too good a game to not have it in my collection again. I have it somewhere in a box for PS1 but at some point in time i lost both of my memory cards.

1. Already have one.
2. Always ways around that.
3/4. People are expecting a 15 year old game to look marvelous on a current setup. I've been playing it, and am so far amazed traveling back in time to my younger years.

I was not expecting a completely new experience. I wanted to play FFXIII on my PC, without having to pay 50 bucks to have the discs. I could pirate, but this is one of the few franchises that I swore to myself, that I would give money towards, because I have loved it since I was a wee child.

Now if Square could compromise and release Parasite Eve 1/2 for Steam. I'm pretty sure I could have a heart attack and die of pure joy.

Commander Rotal 12-13-2013 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ardeiute (Post 1023698)
3/4. People are expecting a 15 year old game to look marvelous on a current setup. I've been playing it, and am so far amazed traveling back in time to my younger years.

The music has nothing to do with current setups - they just ported the ten year old PC version to Steam, and that one uses inferior Midi files for the music instead of the original PSX-tracks. There are slightly better tracks to patch in out there; they're not the original versions either but way better than the Midis and without hearing the original next to it i couldn't tell the difference.
And it's less current PCs but current monitors that pixelate the screens. Not much one can do there.

Insane Guy of Doom 12-13-2013 09:38 AM

Walking Dead season 2:

Looks like Omid, Christa and (maybe?) Kenny survived.

Arashi 12-13-2013 01:34 PM

That is so deep and dramatic.

Instant buy.

Also I've just learned that there is some drama going on with a developer for Mighty Number 9 and the kick starter backers. This all stemmed from that developer (community manager/artist) has been outed as a social justice warrior. As a result, many backers are beginning to fear that their game which is supposed to be a spiritual successor to megaman may potentially be twisted and perverted for the sake of a social agenda. So from last i heard, people are pulling funding.

Omacron 12-15-2013 04:30 AM

Nepotism at its finest. The company making the successor to Megaman hires a community manager/designer who admits she's never played Megaman, tweets about it, and when people noticed it, the CM takes it down. And it's revealed she only got hired because she was fucking a designer at the company.

Commander Rotal 12-15-2013 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omacron (Post 1024802)
Nepotism at its finest. The company making the successor to Megaman hires a community manager/designer who admits she's never played Megaman, tweets about it, and when people noticed it, the CM takes it down. And it's revealed she only got hired because she was fucking a designer at the company.

Hm. I wonder whom Boom-Boom Abrams fucked to get his dirty hands on Star Trek...

incidently: What's wrong with a female main character?

http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/1/23407000...0e1b0c299b.gif

Lord Grimtale 12-15-2013 02:48 PM

Killer theme music.

Glad the only thing bad about this sequel is the lack of content. Gameplay sounds like it's really good and stands on its own pretty well.

EDIT: Chief Thunder's theme is fucking awesome IMO too.

Omacron 12-15-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rotal (Post 1024803)
incidently: What's wrong with a female main character?

On its own? There's no real problem with female characters. However, Dina started saying that a core facet of the franchise should be changed out of nowhere: the game was being sold as a successor to Megaman, and the main character and story were already well defined before she started barking orders. Back the we thought she was "just" a fan, but it turns out she has friends working on the game, so people are worried that her desire for "social justice" or relevance otherwise might taint what is supposed to be a game about robots fighting robots.

Arashi 12-15-2013 03:41 PM

To be honest i would be down for a playable "female" robot. It would be sort of like pokemon. You can play as a boy or a girl but it wont change what the game is about.

Omacron 12-15-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arashi (Post 1025239)
To be honest i would be down for a playable "female" robot. It would be sort of like pokemon. You can play as a boy or a girl but it wont change what the game is about.

There is already a playable female robot, though, Call. The fans have been voting on her appearance. What Dina wanted was to make the main character, Beck, female, too.

Arashi 12-15-2013 04:22 PM

I guess im really behind on following the game.

Volkrin 12-15-2013 04:59 PM

Finished Saints Row IV the other day... and I gotta say, I didn't like it as much as The Third. The powers were fun, but they completely trivialized movement and combat. Cars were significantly slower than your running speed, let alone gliding, and even the segments where you were supposed to use them could generally be fudged by just picking up the vehicle with TK and carrying it through the air with you. Combat was generally reduced to spamming fire blast and seeing whole armies die in the chain reaction, while finishing off the last few with the extremely powerful alien RPG. I never really had a moment where individual enemies were actually threatening. I realize that the game isn't supposed to be serious, it's supposed to be fun and crazy, but the problem I found is that it got so over-the-top that it lost a lot of what made The Third fun for me. The fact that the President is damn near a god in the simulation kinda removed a lot of the cool that the Boss had in just being generally ridiculous but human. The sense of progression and identity that the gang warfare aspect provided was pretty much lost, with the Saints themselves being almost entirely irrelevant (and the fact that you tend to use Decker colors for everything doesn't help). Missions became a matter of just doing random crap to piss off Zinyak rather than being part of the gang war. The zin were also had a lot less character than the gangs did. IV was fun, don't mistake me here, but as someone who loved the over-the-top gangland style of The Third I was still kinda disappointed.

Ku'ja 12-15-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omacron (Post 1025257)
There is already a playable female robot, though, Call. The fans have been voting on her appearance. What Dina wanted was to make the main character, Beck, female, too.

Not only that she is a Feminist above anything else... To the point where it is extreme going by the info people have found and well what she has said. I wouldn't be shocked if she got her job due to her friends or relationship with someone on the team. Kind of happy i never invested after seeing it do so well now as i can wait and see if i think it deserves my cash.

Omacron 12-15-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ku'ja (Post 1025317)
Not only that she is a Feminist above anything else... To the point where it is extreme going by the info people have found and well what she has said. I wouldn't be shocked if she got her job due to her friends or relationship with someone on the team. Kind of happy i never invested after seeing it do so well now as i can wait and see if i think it deserves my cash.

She explicitly is dating someone at Comcept.

Having met some of Blizzard's CMs in person (I consider Nethaera a personal friend now, TBH) I can't help but see her actions as painfully bush league.

PajamaSalad 12-15-2013 07:17 PM

Has anyone played that new Zelda game yet for the 3DS?

Ruinshin 12-15-2013 08:39 PM

So, the chances for a new Bloodrayne just died even further.. Terminal Reality has apparently shut down

Fordragon 12-15-2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pajamasalad (Post 1025320)
Has anyone played that new Zelda game yet for the 3DS?

If you liked LttP (and if you didn't you have problems deeper than science can currently diagnose) it will be like nine boners.

Arashi 12-15-2013 11:39 PM

Part of me kind of wants to get the new 3DS zelda but i'd rather play skyward sword.

Frostwolf 12-16-2013 12:05 AM

Saint's Row 2 was the best Saint's Row game.

Leviathon 12-17-2013 02:05 AM

Finally finished up AC4 after doing all the side stuff. Was a much better game than AC3 was.

And this song with the ending was perfect.

Ganishka 12-17-2013 08:07 PM

Social Justice Warrior is ruining Mighty Number Nine...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xWoVnlsLkg...eryone+lol.jpg

Dithon1 12-17-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ganishka (Post 1027047)
Social Justice Warrior is ruining Mighty Number Nine...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xWoVnlsLkg...eryone+lol.jpg

Already been posted.