Scrolls of Lore Forums

Scrolls of Lore Forums (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/index.php)
-   WarCraft Lore Discussion (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Las Noches - The Night Elf Thread (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/showthread.php?t=215954)

SmokeBlader 04-22-2014 07:15 AM

Las Noches - The Night Elf Thread

This thread is all about Night Elves. No ''Elune is a naaru'' theories or bitching allowed. That is heresy according to Tyrande.

belorealah 04-22-2014 07:18 AM

Can I have a little whimper about missing the feral night elves from earlier times?

They were nasty bitches, but now, I kind of feel they are a bit. Defanged?

I do love nelf lore, its wonderful, and indepth.

Drusus 04-22-2014 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeBlader (Post 1108424)
That is heresy according to Tyrande.

Hush, Tyrande.

Got it in before anybody else did. Ha!

I quite liked the little attention to detail that all Night Elf Mage NPCs lack tattoos and that it survived two expansions now.

Sagara 04-22-2014 07:41 AM

THere's something of a "complacent race" syndrome going on, where because the race's "face person" is fairly unagressive, the entire race is locked in story stasis, hoping for at best some cameo to remind us they're not all dead. (For early offenders, see: Gnomes).

First thing first would be to have contrary voices to Malf's peace-loving, smoke-that-shit approach that aren't maligned (looking at you, Maiev) to actually have someone active in the story.

And no, Tyrande storming the Orgrimmar gates don't count, because you could have actually set Malfurion in her place, hell, even goddamn Bethan Bluewater (WHO?) and it would have flown on just as well (it would have actually flown goddamn BETTER with Bethan, as the out-of-left-field-ness would actually be an interesting plot point to follow up on).

ijffdrie 04-22-2014 07:46 AM

Like with all races, I'd appreciate seeing some more diversity among the night elves, especially the playable faction of the race. Maybe some development of the sentinel factions seen in warcraft III, maybe seeing the darnassian wardens, maybe some more info about regional identities and such.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drusus (Post 1108431)
Hush, Tyrande.

Tag beat you to it.

Kyalin Raintree 04-22-2014 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ijffdrie (Post 1108445)
Like with all races, I'd appreciate seeing some more diversity among the night elves, especially the playable faction of the race. Maybe some development of the sentinel factions seen in warcraft III, maybe seeing the darnassian wardens, maybe some more info about regional identities and such.

Tag beat you to it.

I still wouldn't mind some development and actual synergy with the Alliance as well (as opposed to being assimilated into purple humans).

Still waiting for hybrid druidic-engineering projects... like a Skyfire variant with regenerating wood paneling. That sort of thing doesn't have to be staffed or commanded by elves, but it would be nice to see contributions other than "we're redshirts" or "Blizzard is trying to force us to be high elves".

BaronGrackle 04-22-2014 09:16 AM

I hate playing so many of their levels in Warcraft III and its expansion.

Nazja 04-22-2014 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaronGrackle (Post 1108479)
I hate playing so many of their levels in Warcraft III and its expansion.

Nelf missions in TFT weren't bad. RoC's were less interesting than those of the other races, though.

You know, when it was first revealed that they'd join the Alliance I was extremely delighted. My two preferred factions being allies? Hell yeah!

Oh well, still better than having them on the Horde. :D

Ma Caque Attaque 04-22-2014 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nazja (Post 1108481)

If they were on the Horde, then they would've been the WC3 night elves.

Act as a balance to the less #savage Tauren.

ijffdrie 04-22-2014 09:37 AM

The night elves had what was probably the best levels in either of the games. "Daughters of the Moon", "A destiny of Flame and Sorrow", "Twilight of the Gods" and the "The Tomb of Sargeras" are all among my favourite levels from warcraft III. Despite that, I oddly enough have to agree that the campaigns were, on average, a bit weaker than those of the other races. The naga got rather repetitive, the characters didn't really undergo any development and there were a few sequences where the fighting just didn't seem to progress logically (like with the watchers or the primal guardians)

BaronGrackle 04-22-2014 09:52 AM

Well, I LIKED the campaigns and the backgrounds to each level. I just wished I could have, for example, stormed the Tomb of Sargeras or defended Mt. Hyjal with Alliance or Horde units. Selfish stuff like that. :kawaii:

Nazja 04-22-2014 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ma Caque Attaque (Post 1108485)
If they were on the Horde, then they would've been the WC3 night elves.

Act as a balance to the less #savage Tauren.

But I like them liking the orcs less than other races. :(

ijffdrie 04-22-2014 10:00 AM

Has anyone in-universe ever brought up the whole killing-an-alliance-duke thing for Tyrande?

Ma Caque Attaque 04-22-2014 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ijffdrie (Post 1108507)
Has anyone in-universe ever brought up the whole killing-an-alliance-duke thing for Tyrande?

Never. There is a lot in those WC3 campaigns that is never brought up in universe..

::cough:Garithos::cough::

Besides, I would think that once the night elves joined up with Jaina's forces she wasn't going to quibble over the Alliance that the night elves killed prior to that.

Jaina is a very forgiving person.... as long as the story demands it.

Torch 04-22-2014 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ijffdrie (Post 1108507)

Presumably it's chalked up to the lack of knowledge making him a (supposedly) fair target- a foreign invader taking resources (ignoring the whole "the forests are important) while working with an enemy whose forces have recently killed a Cenarius under direct legion corruption? If that's the information you were working on you wouldn't hesitate to kill them, would you?

ijffdrie 04-22-2014 11:21 AM

I'm not denying it's justifiable, However, it's a duke. Shouldn't there be some political fall-out? Didn't the guy take any family with him when he fled to Theramore? You'd think there'd at least be some suspicion or resentment among the humans of theramore, but njet.

Also, Tyrande did know that these orcs and humans were not working with the legion. She overheard this conversation after all:

Duke Lionheart: Put your backs into it! Jaina and the orc warchief expect this base to be built swiftly!
Footman: Bah! We shouldn't even be here! Or siding with the orcs.
Grunt: We're here to hunt the remaining demons, human. You're lucky our goals are the same.
Duke Lionheart: All right, you men! Mind your business! Back to work!

Oddly enough, this was her reaction:

Tyrande Whisperwind: So, these orcs and humans presume to run rampant through our lands? They will regret ever stepping foot into Ashenvale. We will establish a base and deal with these outlanders as they deserve.

You'd think the mention of 'there's demons in these lands' would have gotten more of a reaction out of her. Especially since the mission starts with "Hey, does Ashenvale seem corrupted to anyone else?" Then again, Tyrande didn't bother asking the furbolg chieftain what corruption he was running away from either.

Ruinshin 04-22-2014 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ijffdrie (Post 1108555)
I'm not denying it's justifiable, I'm just wondering why he never comes up, and there's no political fall-out. It's a duke. Shouldn't there be some political fall-out? Didn't the guy take any family with him when he fled to Theramore? You'd think there'd at least be some suspicion or resentment among the humans of theramore, but njet.

Also, Tyrande did know that these orcs and humans were not working with the legion. She overheard this conversation after all:

Duke Lionheart: Put your backs into it! Jaina and the orc warchief expect this base to be built swiftly!
Grunt: We're here to hunt the remaining demons, human. You're lucky our goals are the same.

Tyrande Whisperwind: So, these orcs and humans presume to run rampant through our lands? They will regret ever stepping foot into Ashenvale. We will establish a base and deal with these outlanders as they deserve.

You'd think the mention of 'there's demons in these lands' would have gotten more of a reaction out of her.

I dont think she overheard the conversation as much as saw it happen.
Building a base is pretty obvious

Anyway, so little of the WC3 elves and their thematics remain that the race isnt really recoverable at this point.

Or are the leaders. They need to be changed at a core level, see a massive shift, and basically be rebuilt on a cultural level.

Blizzard doesnt give enogh of a shit for that to happen.

Night Elves going diurnal was pretty much the final "We really dont care about the race" moment. Even elune and the light could have story implications and changes that, if handled well, could be okish. My faith that they would be well handled is just non existent.

But Night Elves being dinural? Thats done just to be done . It adds nothing. It removes a bunch, and its just sad.

GenyaArikado 04-22-2014 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ijffdrie (Post 1108555)
I'm not denying it's justifiable, However, it's a duke. Shouldn't there be some political fall-out? Didn't the guy take any family with him when he fled to Theramore? You'd think there'd at least be some suspicion or resentment among the humans of theramore, but njet.

You'd think the mention of 'there's demons in these lands' would have gotten more of a reaction out of her. Especially since the mission starts with "Hey, does Ashenvale seem corrupted to anyone else?" Then again, Tyrande didn't bother asking the furbolg chieftain what corruption he was running away from either.

*the giant, purple, amazon with arms bigger than your legs steps into the room* Any problem?

that's how it got solved.

Drusus 04-22-2014 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GenyaArikado (Post 1108564)
*the giant, purple, amazon with arms bigger than your legs steps into the room* Any problem?

that's how it got solved.

Bounce, bounce, bounce.

GenyaArikado 04-22-2014 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drusus (Post 1108616)
Bounce, bounce, bounce.

the amazon is also big boobed so that furthers my point :kawaii:

Kiraser 04-22-2014 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drusus (Post 1108431)
Hush, Tyrande.

I quite liked the little attention to detail that all Night Elf Mage NPCs lack tattoos and that it survived two expansions now.

http://cs616727.vk.me/v616727959/8b91/hbLxteKEd2w.jpg

Ruinshin 04-22-2014 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiraser (Post 1108644)

From the look on her face, even she realizes that's bullshit.

Kiraser 04-22-2014 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruinshin (Post 1108656)
From the look on her face, even she realizes that's bullshit.

It's a lie. Tyrande is the chosen of the One True Proto Old Goddess, so show some respect towards her!

Ruinshin 04-22-2014 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiraser (Post 1108663)
It's a lie. Tyrande is the chosen of the One True Proto Old Goddess, so show some respect towards her!

Tyrande is one step removed from being bent over and chained to a bedpost and used for breeding purposes only.

She's useless, stupid, incompetent, hyper-aggressive, and subservient and easily cowed by men.

She's the literal walking talking stereotype of what sexist assholes are afraid a women president would be like. Down to the contradicting personality traits because Women are obviously so fucking unstable that they can do shit like that.

Genesis 04-22-2014 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nazja (Post 1108481)
Nelf missions in TFT weren't bad. RoC's were less interesting than those of the other races, though.

You know, when it was first revealed that they'd join the Alliance I was extremely delighted. My two preferred factions being allies? Hell yeah!

I blame the night elves for killing the high elves and stealing their stuff. Also, I'm increasingly becoming less of a fan of night elves, since history became all about them once they were written into the lore. Sargeras, the demons, the Well of Eternity, Kalimdor, the Sundering, etc.? Yeah, that all goes back to night elves. They fought the Burning Legion first and their its "traditional" enemy on Azeroth. People may bitch about night elves having their stuff stolen or the universe shrinking in a way that makes night elves seem less unique, but they should be aware that night elves were one of the earliest and major perpetrators of that trend.