Scrolls of Lore Forums

Scrolls of Lore Forums (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Wisconsin Protests: State Police Pursue Democratic Lawmakers Boycotting Vote (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/showthread.php?t=9852)

Fenin Dawnfire 02-22-2011 12:11 PM

Quote:

To be fair, Liberals in America are further right than liberals pretty much everywhere else. They'd be centrists.
Heh, here in Brazil, Obama would be considered right-wing

Bolvar 02-22-2011 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omacron (Post 263690)
I just hate America for being full of people.

We get it.

Omacron's utopia consists of a machine-driven world in which he is the only human resident. All his basic needs are met, and he has a harem of android concubines at his disposal.

Lon-ami 02-22-2011 12:14 PM

I think Spain is awesome and has a lot of potential in people.

But politicians SUCK HARD, and people ARE LAZY against political corruption, they're just tired and want to be alone.

That's our main problem, and that's why we're so bad right now. Fucking politicians, and fucking sheep people that resign against everything instead of fighting and expressing his opinion.

USA is fine aside from lacking more public stuff, like health. Also, private organizations have too much power, that interferes, imo, with politicians, more than in other places.

As for your religious douchebags, I consider them a minority, and yeah, they may be big, but compared to the whole population they're just shit and most of the people has brain and doesn't give a fuck about them.

Ded Chikn 02-22-2011 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omacron (Post 263690)
I just hate America for being full of people.

I hated America before hating America was cool.

Omacron 02-22-2011 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolvar (Post 263693)
We get it.

Omacron's utopia consists of a machine-driven world in which he is the only human resident. All his basic needs are met, and he has a harem of android concubines at his disposal.

You say that like I wouldn't have uploaded my brain to a computer by that point.

Bolvar 02-22-2011 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lon-ami (Post 263694)
I think Spain is awesome and has a lot of potential in people.

But politicians SUCK HARD, and people ARE LAZY against political corruption, they're just tired and want to be alone.

That's our main problem, and that's why we're so bad right now. Fucking politicians, and fucking sheep people that resign against everything instead of fighting and expressing his opinion.

USA is fine aside from lacking more public stuff, like health. Also, private organizations have too much power, that interferes, imo, with politicians, more than in other places.

As for your religious douchebags, I consider them a minority, and yeah, they may be big, but compared to the whole population they're just shit and most of the people has brain and doesn't give a fuck about them.

From Republican Arizona Governor Jan Brewer's Facebook feed:

"Arizona's open for business and Spainís Gestamp Solar Steel is paying attention! Last week, I signed into law one of the most significant pieces of economic legislation in Arizona state history - legislation to reduce taxes and spur capital investments in Arizona. Today Gestamp Solar Steel announced that it will locate its U.S. headquarters in Arizona creating hundreds of new jobs! Welcome to Arizona!"

Hooray for Spain!

Ashendant 02-22-2011 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolvar (Post 263714)

"Arizona's open for business and Spainís Gestamp Solar Steel is paying attention! Last week, I signed into law one of the most significant pieces of economic legislation in Arizona state history - legislation to reduce taxes and spur capital investments in Arizona. Today Gestamp Solar Steel announced that it will locate its U.S. headquarters in Arizona creating hundreds of new jobs! Welcome to Arizona!"

Hooray for Spain!

How strange it is to have it's USA headquarters in the USA

Bolvar 02-22-2011 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashendant (Post 263716)
How strange it is to have it's USA headquarters in the USA

Headquartered in one of the most right-wing states in the USA... that's sort of the point I was making.

Plenty of sunshine in California and New Mexico and such... but they chose Arizona...

Lon-ami 02-22-2011 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolvar (Post 263714)

Hooray for Spain!

Yeah, we're good at green energy technologies and whatnot. World's seconds, if I'm not wrong (after Netherlands, i think).

Some people always manage to be a good business no matter what (like politicians sucking in the middle, for example). Be sure they'll do a great job, Arizona's desert places will become a free-energy field if they get to build some stuff there, which, with the headquarters in the zone, will be pretty probable.

Hooray for both of us, it's good to see they didn't locate it in a 3rd world country like everyone else does. Quality has no price.

Bolvar 02-22-2011 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lon-ami (Post 263721)
Yeah, we're good at green energy technologies and whatnot. World's seconds, if I'm not wrong (after Netherlands, i think).

Some people always manage to be a good business no matter what (like politicians sucking in the middle, for example). Be sure they'll do a great job, Arizona's desert places will become a free-energy field if they get to build some stuff there, which, with the headquarters in the zone, will be pretty probable.

Hooray for both of us, it's good to see they didn't locate it in a 3rd world country like everyone else does. Quality has no price.

Technology like that requires skilled labor, and Arizona has a lot of it. For as much as people like to mock our ignorance, we boast the largest public university in the country, and we're home to a number of cutting-edge technology and manufacturing companies.

Intel just announced plans to invest $5 billion to build a new 14nm FAB in Chandler, AZ last week.

Ashendant 02-22-2011 01:53 PM

I just hope all this mess will end up with a labour party in america, you guys need to diversify FAST

Omacron 02-22-2011 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashendant (Post 263725)
I just hope all this mess will end up with a labour party in america, you guys need to diversify FAST

http://adamstankandlift.com/00/change.jpg

Ashendant 02-22-2011 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omacron (Post 263727)

Yeah i know stupid hope, but you guys really need it

Bolvar 02-22-2011 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashendant (Post 263729)
Yeah i know stupid hope, but you guys really need it

We have a labor party. Or have you been ignoring the protests in Wisconsin?

We also have an active Libertarian party. Most of them call themselves Tea Partiers now, and have made big gains in the GOP.

So, yeah. It might be a two-party system, but there's plenty of factions within each party. The subtle nuances of American politics aren't as cut-and-dried as they might appear. I didn't even realize it myself until I became active in politics, and witnessed Republicans tearing each other to pieces at various political assemblies.

Omacron 02-22-2011 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolvar (Post 263731)

We also have an active Libertarian party. Most of them call themselves Tea Partiers now, and have made big gains in the GOP.

So, yeah. It might be a two-party system, but there's plenty of factions within each party. The subtle nuances of American politics aren't as cut-and-dried as they might appear. I didn't even realize it myself until I became active in politics, and witnessed Republicans tearing each other to pieces at various political assemblies.

I wouldn't really call Tea Partiers "libertarians". Their focus on so called "traditional" values flies in the face of true libertarianism.

Bolvar 02-22-2011 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omacron (Post 263732)
I wouldn't really call Tea Partiers "libertarians". Their focus on so called "traditional" values flies in the face of true libertarianism.

How many tea partiers do you actually know?

Most of the ones I speak with regularly are flaming libertarians that want nothing but American isolationism, legalized pot, and decriminalized prostitution.

They also want low taxes.

Omacron 02-22-2011 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolvar (Post 263735)
How many tea partiers do you actually know?

Most of the ones I speak with regularly are flaming libertarians that want nothing but American isolationism, legalized pot, and decriminalized prostitution.

They also want low taxes.

To be fair, most of the tea partiers I know just focus on the "legalized pot" part.

Okay, most of them are just potheads.

Even so, you have those elected to public office like Christine O'Donnell. You have to take elected representatives as, well, being representative of their constituency, and they're socially conservative, just economically liberatarian.

Bolvar 02-22-2011 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omacron (Post 263736)
To be fair, most of the tea partiers I know just focus on the "legalized pot" part.

Okay, most of them are just potheads.

Even so, you have those elected to public office like Christine O'Donnell. You have to take elected representatives as, well, being representative of their constituency, and they're socially conservative, just economically liberatarian.

I guess that's the catch... we're compelled all the time to vote for people we can't stand, just because they're marginally better than the alternative.

Omacron 02-22-2011 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolvar (Post 263739)
I guess that's the catch... we're compelled all the time to vote for people we can't stand, just because they're marginally better than the alternative.

Which is another reason why I've become disillusioned with the idea of democracy as of late.

First philosopher-kings, then robots.

Bolvar 02-22-2011 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omacron (Post 263741)
Which is another reason why I've become disillusioned with the idea of democracy as of late.

First philosopher-kings, then robots.

That wouldn't change anything.

You'd end up with a philosopher-king who was a humanist, and later a robot running some gooshy version of MacOS.

Ashendant 02-22-2011 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolvar (Post 263731)

No, you have two parties, i guess in europe they would probably would be 2 coalitions, but still that's part of my point you have 2 factions of factions, that fight for different things, yet fight for the same, you need to reorganize your parties in order to make sense of each other.

Omacron 02-22-2011 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolvar (Post 263742)
That wouldn't change anything.

You'd end up with a philosopher-king who was a humanist, and later a robot running some gooshy version of MacOS.

Which is also why I personally believe only clinically diagnosed sociopaths should be allowed to rule.

Bolvar 02-22-2011 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashendant (Post 263747)
No, you have two parties, i guess in europe they would probably would be 2 coalitions, but still that's part of my point you have 2 factions of factions, that fight for different things, yet fight for the same, you need to reorganize your parties in order to make sense of each other.

Yeah, I know we have two parties.

We also have half a dozen parties that don't really count.

We also have several discrete factions within the two major parties that can vastly change the face of their respective party every two years. It's not as simple as "Republican" and "Democrat."

Omacron 02-22-2011 03:14 PM

Really, comparing pre-Reagan archaeoconservatives to post-Reagan neoconservatives is like comparing apples to oranges. There are still archaeocons in Government for the most part, just like there were budding neocons before Reagan, but the makeup of the American conservative movement changed heavily over the past 30 years and it's poised for another change. Part of the reason why the Democrats are losing right now is that they are essentially stuck in the 90s and are more homogeneous than the Republicans at the moment.

Ashendant 02-22-2011 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolvar (Post 263756)
Yeah, I know we have two parties.

We also have half a dozen parties that don't really count.

We also have several discrete factions within the two major parties that can vastly change the face of their respective party every two years. It's not as simple as "Republican" and "Democrat."

But you have only two real options of vote, right?