Scrolls of Lore Forums

Scrolls of Lore Forums (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/index.php)
-   Halls of Lordaeron (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   The Preposterously Posh Parliamentary Thread (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/showthread.php?t=215827)

Saranus 04-06-2014 11:47 AM

The Preposterously Posh Parliamentary Thread

This is a thread to celebrate all things Britannia. I visited the Motherland last summer and had a great time. I was fortunate enough to be with my extended English family at their home in south London, having honest to God tea and motherfucking crumpets, and was watching it live when Andy Murray took the Wimbledon cup. Kicked the footie around in the back yard with the kids. Went to the park to check out the city skyline. Most. British. Day. Ever. Only thing that detracted from the British experience was the fact that it was sweltering hot and sunny. 10/10, would risk life and limb in the rental car driving those absurdly narrow streets again.

http://i.imgur.com/c36Ge.jpg

(Also, this a ploy to keep all limey bastards out of my Patriot Thread)

Aneurysm 04-06-2014 11:54 AM

I enjoy Doctor Who and tea. I'm practically British.

Insipid_Lobster 04-06-2014 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aneurysm (Post 1093999)
I enjoy Doctor Who and tea. I'm practically British.

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enha...4501424-16.gif

That doesn't get you a pass on the brit test, sadly.

PajamaSalad 04-06-2014 11:59 AM

I like the British. They are like the little America in Europe.

Thunderbraid 04-06-2014 12:03 PM

http://i.imgur.com/vleKJ.jpg

HlaaluStyle 04-06-2014 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderbraid (Post 1094012)

That's pretty epic.

I've been to the UK twice. The first time was to visit family and see the country (I have a German cousin who was studying theoretical physics at Cambridge), and the second to visit a friend of mine who was studying abroad. I ended up seeing London, Cambridge, York, Land's End, and Brighton in the first visit, and London (again), Cardiff, and Oxford on the second.

Cardiff's the capital of Wales. I went there on my own and asked about finding a restaurant that serves authentic Welsh cuisine. Turns out there are two in the entire city. I went to one, the Armless Dragon on Wyvern Street, and had a pretty decent meal of beef stew and vegetable podge.

I saw Stonehenge, which I must say is a bit of a disappointment. It's not the fault of the site itself. There's a big rope around Stonehenge, and you can't even get close to the place. I totally understand why they did that, but it doesn't make for an interesting trip.

Also, when I was being driven around by a native, I mentioned feeling a bit disoriented at being on the left side of the road. He said:

"On that case, does this feel better?"

and switched to the right side. Needless to say, I quickly got over my disorientation.

I also went punting in Cambridge. It's a really beautiful place.

SmokeBlader 04-06-2014 12:25 PM

http://blog.tinydeal.com/wp-content/...beanteddy1.jpg

Thunderbraid 04-06-2014 12:44 PM

Dithon1 04-06-2014 01:06 PM

Is it strange that I have more English friends than American ones?

PajamaSalad 04-06-2014 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dithon1 (Post 1094078)

Yes. Do you have more internet friends than real friends?

HlaaluStyle 04-06-2014 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dithon1 (Post 1094078)

Are these English friends who live in the US? Or English friends online? Personally, I don't count exclusively online friendships as actual friendships, but to each their own.

Dithon1 04-06-2014 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pajamasalad (Post 1094080)
Yes. Do you have more internet friends than real friends?

Quite a few more; all from various parts of the globe. Finland, Sweden, the UK, South Africa, Canada, South America, Holland, Ireland, Germany, Norway, Australia, Switzerland, and this one Pakistani guy.

EDIT: Oh, and these three Estonian guys. All of which like to get drunk and complain about blacks and Jews.

Eagan 04-06-2014 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pajamasalad (Post 1094009)
I like the British. They are like the little America in Europe.

Such statements are a good way to get one on the list of those folk who deserve a bit of borax in one's tea.

Insipid_Lobster 04-06-2014 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagan (Post 1094090)
Such statements are a good way to get one on the list of those folk who deserve a bit of borax in one's tea.

You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else. ~ Winston Churchill

PajamaSalad 04-06-2014 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagan (Post 1094090)

I think Eagan wants to poison me and murder me.

Eagan 04-06-2014 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pajamasalad (Post 1094092)
I think Eagan wants to poison me and murder me.

I'd do nothing of the kind. Regardless, borax wouldn't kill you. It would merely make your throat burn and give you a bit of nausea. A good household nauseator, if there ever was one.

Nevertheless, it is foolish to spout such inflammatory statements and not expect a caustic response!

Blayze 04-06-2014 06:12 PM

England's overrated.

Omacron 04-06-2014 07:54 PM

If I'm flying to another continent I'm not going to go to a country where the only thing worse than the food is the dentistry.

Un billet d'avion a Paris, sil vous plait.

Eagan 04-06-2014 07:59 PM

Traditional British food is actually very good. A lot of game, a lot of mutton. Good root vegetables. Hearty stews, filling roasts. Nice cut rounds, scones and such. Excellent cheese. People forget the great varieties of traditional cheeses that Britain has. They are much better than French cheeses, in my opinionů

I love sloe jam. That's a good old British classic.

Regardless, I don't know how one couldn't like a good Sunday joint. That's my favourite meal, even though I've shifted off western cooking. As long as it is cooked properly, with good quality ingredients, it is excellent.

I also like suet puddings, but I imagine some people might have difficulty with such things.

Omacron 04-06-2014 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagan (Post 1094754)
Regardless, I don't know how one couldn't like a good Sunday joint.

I'd imagine that's more Jamaican than British.

Eagan 04-06-2014 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omacron (Post 1094767)
I'd imagine that's more Jamaican than British.

Learn to speak English, dear fellow, and return! A 'joint of meat'!

Omacron 04-06-2014 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagan (Post 1094770)
Learn to speak English, dear fellow, and return! A 'joint of meat'!

Is that what they're calling it these days?

Anansi 04-06-2014 08:11 PM

The food in England was, in my experience, quite excellent because the people over there seem to have no qualms about importing the best of everyone else's culture.

French cuisine, on the contrary, is insular and tasteless.

Eagan 04-06-2014 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anansi (Post 1094774)
The food in England was, in my experience, quite excellent because the people over there seem to have no qualms about importing the best of everyone else's culture.

Ever had kedgeree? I'm not so sure about such kinds of fusion. Some of it works, some of it fails.

In Edinburgh, though, the best place for such food was the local mosque. They have a giant kitchen, and make huge batches of curry for people to eat after prayers, but they let anyone in to eat it. You eat outside, at big benches, covered by a tarp. It is a bit stodgy, but quite delicious for two quid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omacron (Post 1094773)
Is that what they're calling it these days?

There isn't any way to say this properly, is there? I do not mean a 'joint' of anything other than a cow, sheep or other domesticated land dwelling mammal.

Magistrix Verdande 04-06-2014 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anansi (Post 1094774)

This man-thing speaketh the truth.