Scrolls of Lore Forums

Scrolls of Lore Forums (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Godzilla..... (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/showthread.php?t=216059)

Commander Rotal 05-18-2014 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARM3481 (Post 1126126)
(and the "elephants being afraid of mice" one too); very large animals don't really even register the movements of comparatively miniscule, rapidly-moving objects,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oA77tVNKtc

Just because an animal is huge doesn't mean it can't perceive small things; after all, you may not always notice them immediately because you don't stare at the ground all day, but if you know they're there you can spot ants quite easily. Also: a huge monster'll need good eyes either way - unless it uses exclusively other senses it would need to, at least, see the ground directly in front of itself. Take a page from the dinosaurs. We know that tons of them had supremely excellent eye sight, and that many of the bigger ones ate both hunted smaller dinosaurs AND were scavengers. Granted none of those got nearly as big as a fully grown remade American Godzilla, but you get the idea. If Evolution surprises itself with a huge land-animal you can bet your ass it's going to have inherited good eyes.

Ruinshin 05-18-2014 05:00 PM

Godzilla rocked.

Ragnahar 05-18-2014 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruinshin (Post 1126185)
Godzilla rocked.

Then lucky for you, they're gonna make a number two!

Commander Rotal 05-18-2014 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragnahar (Post 1126280)
Then lucky for you, they're gonna make a number two!

http://31.media.tumblr.com/0aae41844...t82ro1_400.gif
It prints money!!!!

He'll team up with Gamera and save the world from Giant Duplos.

Ragnahar 05-18-2014 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rotal (Post 1126285)
http://31.media.tumblr.com/0aae41844...t82ro1_400.gif
It prints money!!!!

He'll team up with Gamera and save the world from Giant Duplos.

I thought it was done really well.

Ruinshin 05-18-2014 10:59 PM

Did you guys see the Mothra reference?

Commander Rotal 05-18-2014 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragnahar (Post 1126287)
I thought it was done really well.

It was great when the title character decided to show up and the movie didn't cut away. I fully expect them to learn their lesson for the second one - it's clear that whoever wrote this thing didn't care for writing a good movie but was one hell of a Godzilla fan. Next time no cocktease for one hour and a half and it's gonna be absolutely fine. Maybe toss in a little more imagination when designing the villain monster.

Arashi 05-18-2014 11:22 PM

I heard this movie is pretty good on the grounds that there are actually other monsters.

Like every godzilla film.

Omacron 05-18-2014 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruinshin (Post 1126289)
Did you guys see the Mothra reference?

The tank in the Brodys' old house, right?

Also, they should use this for the plot of the sequel.
http://images.darkhorse.com/covers/300/g/gvb.jpg

Commander Rotal 05-18-2014 11:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 2809

Beating a dead horse Microsoft Paint-style.

Lord Grimtale 05-18-2014 11:36 PM

Not reading any spoilers since I haven't seen it yet but... did he fight any monsters?

Omacron 05-18-2014 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale (Post 1126297)
Not reading any spoilers since I haven't seen it yet but... did he fight any monsters?

He fights mankind

Commander Rotal 05-18-2014 11:42 PM

Quote:

Yes. Do yourself a favour and read the spoilers. But you won't see any of it until the very end of the movie.

I'm a carrot.

With onions!

Yes.

Shroombie 05-18-2014 11:44 PM

Quote:

It takes a while, but once it happens, it is the sweetest fucking thing.

Ragnahar 05-18-2014 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rotal (Post 1126293)
It was great when the title character decided to show up and the movie didn't cut away. I fully expect them to learn their lesson for the second one - it's clear that whoever wrote this thing didn't care for writing a good movie but was one hell of a Godzilla fan. Next time no cocktease for one hour and a half and it's gonna be absolutely fine. Maybe toss in a little more imagination when designing the villain monster.

I thought the fact that the payoff was worth the wait was what made it so good.

Commander Rotal 05-18-2014 11:58 PM

Problem is that the payoff wasn't worth it. He swoops in, gets beaten for ten minutes, is offscreen for another five and then skullfucks both MUTOs without even trying. He's a guest star in his own movie. This is undenyably a Godzilla that oozes personality, looks absolutely awesome both design and CGI-quality-wise and personally i really loved that he was the hero from the start.
But all in all it is too little too late, especially considering that even when they let the Big G loose they STILL cut to Brody. People are rightfully miffed that Brian Cranston's character died so early but i bet my left testicle he has more screentime as a glorified cameo than the title character. It may have payed off if the wait hadn't been so long, the human story better or if they at least had not cut away from all the time when something actually started to happen. Those weren't even good cuts, that's public tv station cut-to-softcore editing. At some point i honestly wondered if the austrian version had all the fighs cut out.

Ragnahar 05-19-2014 12:01 AM

Opinions!

Shroombie 05-19-2014 12:16 AM

Is it sexist if I just wanted Elle to die already? I mean, she contributed nothing to the film and just took up screentime.

Commander Rotal 05-19-2014 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shroombie (Post 1126309)
Is it sexist if I just wanted Elle to die already? I mean, she contributed nothing to the film and just took up screentime.

No, it'd be sexist if it was because she has an inny instead of an outy. Instead you're displaying knowledge about Storywriting 101: if a character has no business being in your movie because it doesn't contribute to it - change that, reduce it's screentime or cut the character. The Transformers-movies get tons of shit, approximately 99 percent of which is completely justified, but i've also heard complaints about Lennox' wife and kid never appearing in the movie besides the very beginning and the very end. This is kinda exactly what i mean - Elle and her mouthbreathing son do fuckall during the movie. Had they kept Lennox' wife and kid in Transformers you'd have had the exact same situation of additional baggage that leads absolutely nowhere. Elle and son should've been in the beginning to show Brody trying to give his son the normal childhood that was denied him, then maybe give them one cutaway if you absolutely have to. It not only drags the already long movie out (making the lack of Godzilla even more noticeable), we also never really get a sense of danger for them. They're in a good chunk of the movie, the genresavy watcher already knows they're going to survive, and the one time Elle and the kid DO get into any kind of real danger the acting COMPLETELY kills it. Had they removed them the audience could've at least gotten a little bit of suspense about their whereabouts, asking themselfs, together with Brody (who lacks any kind of character to begin with; giving him something to worry about would not have fixed but improved on that), whether or not they can survive in all that carnage. Instead the audience already knows: apparently you can outrun a Kaiju and city damage by lightly jogging in one place.

Truth be told you could probably cut the first half hour of the movie and would barely need to change the dialogue while still retaining the lengthy buildup to the monster action.

Ashendant 05-19-2014 10:11 AM

Omacron 05-19-2014 10:18 AM

You know what bugs me? They had Dr. Serizawa but no Oxygen Destroyer. They should have at least alluded to it, like "we can't kill it with a nuclear bomb but Monarch had a prototype weapon created to deprive giant creatures of oxygen".

Also, the sequel better have maser tanks.

Kiraser 05-19-2014 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omacron (Post 1126458)
You know what bugs me? They had Dr. Serizawa but no Oxygen Destroyer. They should have at least alluded to it, like "we can't kill it with a nuclear bomb but Monarch had a prototype weapon created to deprive giant creatures of oxygen".

Also, the sequel better have maser tanks.

With the Oxygen Destroyer they can even make a remake of Godzilla vs. Destoroyah. It would be awesome.

I didn't watch the new film yet, but I'll definitely go to the cinema this week.

Porimlys 05-20-2014 12:46 AM

I really enjoyed it!

Some thoughts:

-In a suprising twist, my favorite part was a part that didnít even feature any giant monsters! (The Halo Drop sequence was so goddamn gorgeous)

-The soundtrack and score was kinda of off point though (imo), too much bombastic fanfare in the wrong places. Certainly wasn't enough to ruin it for me, and there were a few times where it was totally perfect (again, that HALO DROP SCENE.)

-I thought they had a nice balance of that Cloverfield type teasing to get you all hyped for the end when they just go balls out with the "LOOK AT THE MONSTERS FIGHTING LOOK AT IT LOOK AAAAAT IIIIIIT" thing. I can see how that might have been frustrating for some viewers, but it totes worked for me. Showing the fights on the TV the kid was watching, having the doors close just as he engages M.U.T.O, it was like the movie was just winking at you the whole time "just you wait dude, just you wait"

-Watching him cruising through the ocean with his entourage of military aircraft carriers was just A+

-More Bryan Cranston would have been awesome but any Bryan Cranston is great.

-I had no idea Ken Watanabe was in this movie! Very pleasant surprise.

-Atomic Breath Atomic Breath Atomic Breath

Commander Rotal 05-20-2014 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porimlys (Post 1126900)
Atomic Breath Atomic Breath Atomic Breath

Atomic Forced Hate-Deepthroating.

Porimlys 05-20-2014 01:43 AM

So I just found out my favorite part of the score was from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

*weeps*