Scrolls of Lore Forums

Scrolls of Lore Forums (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Godzilla..... (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/showthread.php?t=216059)

miffy23 05-20-2014 09:39 AM

I thought it was great. The only weak point is the focus on the human subplot, but it's not terribly done, and ties in well with the mainframe of the film.

The movie oozes the flair of those old Japanese Godzilla movies, just with far better production value. They really pay homage to them, and it's an incredibly fun teasing buildup to a very satisfying final 30 minutes or so.

Weaknesses: US military propaganda in a Hollywood blockbuster once again. Yuck. Thankfully, not on Michael Bay levels this time.

Strengths: sweet kaju battles, I actually far preferred this to the Pacific Rim nonsense that felt utterly meaningless.

Bonus point: finally getting Ken Watanabe to utter that fateful name, "Gojira".

8/10 on the summer popcorn Richter scale for me

Ruinshin 05-20-2014 09:50 AM

Now for the big issues I had with the movie... Here there be spoilers..

-The M.U.T.O were said the be parasites early on in the movie. It bugged me. They were not. At all. Even if you want to say the pods were, it took, what, 7 years for the M.U.T.O to absorb enough to hatch, in addition to what they got off big guy? I assume parents killed big guy. But then, it wouldn't be parasites that downed him.

-The massive creature they killed in the cave and were feeding off of? DWARFED Godzilla, the "alpha" predator.

-I'm like 99.9% certain there isn't a tram in the honolulu airport. Because, like, I drive by there every damned day and have for the last 5 years, and if I've missed that then seriously, the fuck.

-Godzilla, being the biggest he's ever been, almost came off as being the weakest against the monsters. He was down for the count man. Down for the count!.

-More, didn't it say earlier that Godzilla fed on the nukes of russian subs? Where was his eating of the nukes?

All small things.. Super small things.

Mark_Romaneck 05-20-2014 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miffy23 (Post 1127004)
Strengths: sweet kaju battles, I actually far preferred this to the Pacific Rim nonsense that felt utterly meaningless.

http://unvailed.com/wp-content/uploa...000065-001.png

I dont think we can be friends... like ever

miffy23 05-20-2014 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_Romaneck (Post 1127044)
http://unvailed.com/wp-content/uploa...000065-001.png

I dont think we can be friends... like ever

Seriously, Pacific Rim felt pointless and boring. Stuff actually seemed threatening in this new Godzilla. Rim was like an HD version of a graphic novel. Meh.

Gortrash 05-20-2014 12:53 PM

What gender-specific pronoun do they use for Godzilla in this version, if at all?

miffy23 05-20-2014 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gortrash (Post 1127081)
What gender-specific pronoun do they use for Godzilla in this version, if at all?

"He".

Porimlys 05-22-2014 12:51 AM

http://thedissolve.com/features/expo...n-blockbuster/

Read this review, it articulates pretty much everything I love about this movie really elegantly.

Quote:

"In Gareth Edwards’ Godzilla, point of view is everything. Here is a $160 million studio tentpole in which perspective stomps over plot, and characters are defined not by their actions, but by their insignificance. Here is a confidently paced monster movie that eschews the “four action setpieces strung together with exposition and iced with a tease” template of contemporary blockbuster cinema. Edwards devotes the film’s first hour to the deepening tragedy of a single family, and builds to an unspeakably spectacular climax that’s less dependent on what we’re seeing than on how we’re seeing it.

During the first hour of the film, all the plot (and all the action) is experienced from a human POV. Aside from the opening scene in the Philippines, viewers are privy only to what Joe and Ford Brody (Bryan Cranston and Aaron-Taylor Johnson) suspect, discover, and experience for themselves. Mythology, distant incidents, and even their own images are presented, respectively, through archival footage, news reports, and surveillance feeds. As the film progresses, however, the perspective through which this story unfolds undergoes a slow tectonic shift toward the omniscient."

Quote:

"In fact, one major sequence even begins with Brody fiddling with an action figure that resembles himself, and a little boy’s interest in the toy lands him squarely in the middle of a MUTO attack that the military is powerless to stop. It’s a cute story beat, but also one that bluntly reinforces our insignificance in the face of the film’s crisis—ultimately, the only thing the humans do well in Godzilla is provide scale for the monsters. The people only there for us to see how insignificant they are.

Judging from reviews and social media, many viewers feel betrayed by the film’s dwindling interest in the family that dominates its first half, as the Brody clan’s multi-generational tragedy is a distant memory by the time we get to the climactic kaiju battle. The eponymous radioactive monster, who has all the emotional complexity of a natural disaster, easily emerges as the most nuanced character in the film, and also—despite his prolonged absences from the picture—its one true lead.

This is the rare live-action summer blockbuster in which, by design, not a single one of the human characters in the movie has anything resembling a complete emotional arc. And while it’s difficult to argue that Brody wouldn’t have benefited from some memorable dialogue and a more charismatic performance, the lack of a compelling homosapien protagonist helps clarify the film’s true trajectory. This is a story about exposing the myopia of the human perspective and then humiliating our inherently egocentric POV. We’re just another part of the equation Godzilla has come back to balance, an urgent reorientation that Edwards turns into a story by gradually disempowering his human characters, conflating us with the bad guys until Godzilla can emerge as an aspirational figure."

https://24.media.tumblr.com/3a67f31e...oo2_r1_500.jpg

I keep coming back to this sequence. That SHOT

miffy23 05-22-2014 03:01 AM

Oh yes, that sequence especially is beautiful. And perfect choice of soundtrack for it, as well.

However, I feel like that review is trying way too hard to find artistic ambition in flawed writing and directing. I like the movie, I thought it was good, but critics have a tendency to make up their own stories, for better or for worse, and this one went a little overboard.

Shroombie 05-22-2014 10:03 AM

If they did a Godzilla videogame right, it would be so dope. Not necessarily playing as the big guy, but as a soldier just trying to deal with the immense amount of carnage and destruction caused by two giant monsters slugging it out.

Ruinshin 05-22-2014 10:06 AM

Pretty sure Rampage was the best Godzilla game ever.

Shroombie 05-22-2014 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruinshin (Post 1128504)
Pretty sure Rampage was the best Godzilla game ever.

Never actually played it.

Ruinshin 05-22-2014 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shroombie (Post 1128507)
Never actually played it.

http://www.andinykonske.estranky.cz/...71/maximus.jpg

Shroombie 05-22-2014 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruinshin (Post 1128515)

It came out 9 years before I was born. It's a relic.

miffy23 05-22-2014 06:49 PM

Godzilla 2: Ballin'

Gozilla returns after taking offense to Charles Barkley's fat jokes.
Hilarity ensues.

http://www.joblo.com/images_arrownew...asketballl.JPG

Omacron 05-22-2014 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shroombie (Post 1128502)
If they did a Godzilla videogame right, it would be so dope. Not necessarily playing as the big guy, but as a soldier just trying to deal with the immense amount of carnage and destruction caused by two giant monsters slugging it out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_...e_%28series%29

Commander Rotal 05-23-2014 06:35 PM

I find myself in a situation where i can either
A) Tell my three friends i'm going to see Godzilla again tomorrow that the movie is shit (the more i think about the fakeouts and cutaways the less i like it...), thus spoiling the movie for them just because i don't like it (admittedly i DO believe none of them would like it, for the same reasons i don't) which would be kind of a dick move...
or
B) Suck it up, pack a pen and something to write on in order to not bore myself to tears (got tons of little things i need to list and sort anyway for my Space Engineers Project), letting them make their own opinion. Problem with that one is: knowing them i can almost guarantee that two will find it "boring but nothing especially nastily bad" and the third will hate it. If i say nothing i would knowingly let them waste their money on a movie i know they won't get any enjoyment out of... which wouldn't be as selfish as A, but still a dick move. Money's not growing on plants. Unless you're a crimelord.

What to do, what to do...

Ardeiute 05-23-2014 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rotal (Post 1129565)
A) Tell my three friends i'm going to see Godzilla again tomorrow that the movie is shit (the more i think about the fakeouts and cutaways the less i like it...), thus spoiling the movie for them just because i don't like it (admittedly i DO believe none of them would like it, for the same reasons i don't) which would be kind of a dick move...
or
B) Suck it up, pack a pen and something to write on in order to not bore myself to tears (got tons of little things i need to list and sort anyway for my Space Engineers Project), letting them make their own opinion. Problem with that one is: knowing them i can almost guarantee that two will find it "boring but nothing especially nastily bad" and the third will hate it. If i say nothing i would knowingly let them waste their money on a movie i know they won't get any enjoyment out of... which wouldn't be as selfish as A, but still a dick move. Money's not growing on plants. Unless you're a crimelord.

Tell them to just wait for the DVD release.

Garotar 05-23-2014 06:52 PM

Quote:

or

If you think they'll enjoy it, do B). If not, do A).

Personally I'm telling people who ask me to go and see it in the theatres because I think it's a good movie (so does my wife). Though if it's someone who I don't think will like it enough to pay a movie ticket for I'll tell them to wait for video.

Porimlys 05-24-2014 12:11 AM

Quote:

or

Sounds to me like you just shouldn't go see it again

Aneurysm 05-24-2014 04:14 PM

Saw it today. I enjoyed it.

Ganishka 05-25-2014 10:13 PM

Quote:

or

Suck it up and tell the truth. Letting them blow their money on a shit movie isn't a good idea.

Also, is it true that Godzilla himself barely appears in the movie?

Commander Rotal 05-25-2014 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ganishka (Post 1130495)
Suck it up and tell the truth. Letting them blow their money on a shit movie isn't a good idea.

I decided to stay silent. They liked it. Dunno know why but i'm since they did i'm glad i didn't say anything. (though to be fair i liked it considerably more when i came out the movie because the ending scene is admittedly pretty awesome.)

Quote:

He's got like ten minutes of screen time in a two hours movie, not counting his back spines that are shown throughout the film. They keep cutting away from him, too, which is what kills my personal enjoyment more than had they just not shown him at all. Some folks is pissed that they made Heisenberg look like the main character in the trailers while his role is really more of an extended, glorified cameo - and yet he probably has more screen time than the title character.
Though when Godzilla IS on screen he's just plain awesome; as soon as someone cut's that movie down to 60 minutes it's gonna be pure win. He looks great, the CGI is the best i've ever seen* and even though we get neither character nor reason for Godzilla doing what he's doing he's oozing personality. And when he's starting up his Atomic Breath.... goosebumps.

*counting for Godzilla only. The MUTOs look considerably worse which is probably the reason you see so much of THEM.

miffy23 05-26-2014 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rotal (Post 1130508)
I decided to stay silent. They liked it. Dunno know why but i'm since they did i'm glad i didn't say anything. (though to be fair i liked it considerably more when i came out the movie because the ending scene is admittedly pretty awesome.)

He's got like ten minutes of screen time in a two hours movie, not counting his back spines that are shown throughout the film. They keep cutting away from him, too, which is what kills my personal enjoyment more than had they just not shown him at all. Some folks is pissed that they made Heisenberg look like the main character in the trailers while his role is really more of an extended, glorified cameo - and yet he probably has more screen time than the title character.
Though when Godzilla IS on screen he's just plain awesome; as soon as someone cut's that movie down to 60 minutes it's gonna be pure win. He looks great, the CGI is the best i've ever seen* and even though we get neither character nor reason for Godzilla doing what he's doing he's oozing personality. And when he's starting up his Atomic Breath.... goosebumps.

*counting for Godzilla only. The MUTOs look considerably worse which is probably the reason you see so much of THEM.

Isn't that pretty much EXACTLY what the old Japanese movies did following the original? I felt the movie was one giant, loving nod at the series of "Godzilla the hero king of monsters" movies, and it felt just right.

Watanabe was the personification of those human characters that stood at the viewscreens, jaws agape, rooting for Godzilla to defeat *insert monster here*.

The entire plot about the marine son was tacked in to make it feasible for a broader American audience, and I think overall it was executed well as a skeleton construct for pretty neat teases up until the final awesome 30 minutes.

Porimlys 05-26-2014 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ganishka (Post 1130495)

Not "barely". That is entirely the wrong word. It's true that it's not a transformers movie, they save the treat for the end. Despite his "smaller" (for lack of a better term) appearance, rest assured the movie is all about him. It's not that he isn't in the movie, it's just the way the cinematography is done keeps him more mythic for a lot longer. They leave it to the imagination, they tease and wink and tell you "just you wait". The final act packs such a punch not just because of the beautifully rendered action and the talented cinematography, but because it's the moment you've been waiting for. This ain't a Transformers movie, they want you to savor those Kaiju fights.

And believe me the visual direction and the MUTOs do not keep you bored when you're waiting for that act to come. It's a very spielberg approach to the movie. Tease the shark, talk about the shark, build tension around the shark, but the shark isn't shown in full. Not till later, not till you care (yes, arguably we already care because GODZILLA DUH, but the artistic approach is still valid).

Watch it and make your own opinions. If nothing else, you'll get a gorgeously shot movie.

miffy23 05-26-2014 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porimlys (Post 1130579)
Not "barely". That is entirely the wrong word. It's true that it's not a transformers movie, they save the treat for the end. Despite his "smaller" (for lack of a better term) appearance, rest assured the movie is all about him. It's not that he isn't in the movie, it's just the way the cinematography is done keeps him more mythic for a lot longer. They leave it to the imagination, they tease and wink and tell you "just you wait". The final act packs such a punch not just because of the beautifully rendered action and the talented cinematography, but because it's the moment you've been waiting for. This ain't a Transformers movie, they want you to savor those Kaiju fights.

And believe me the visual direction and the MUTOs do not keep you bored when you're waiting for that act to come. It's a very spielberg approach to the movie. Tease the shark, talk about the shark, build tension around the shark, but the shark isn't shown in full. Not till later, not till you care (yes, arguably we already care because GODZILLA DUH, but the artistic approach is still valid).

Watch it and make your own opinions. If nothing else, you'll get a gorgeously shot movie.

Some of the best-looking cinematography I've seen in a while. The skydiving scene in particular is genius.