Scrolls of Lore Forums

Scrolls of Lore Forums (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/index.php)
-   WarCraft Lore Discussion (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   So... troll mages (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/showthread.php?t=221450)

Nacho 09-10-2018 05:49 PM

So... troll mages

Hello everyone. I come to ask what is the lore behind the trolls magicians, and how they manipulate the arcane magic. I hope the answer is not "they learned it from other races". The only thing is that there is a loa called Zanza that apparently is the one that gives arcane powers to the trolls, but I'm not sure about this. If anyone has an official Blizzard word about this it would be great. Thanks for your time, see you!

ARM3481 09-10-2018 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacho (Post 1621646)
Hello everyone. I come to ask what is the lore behind the trolls magicians, and how they manipulate the arcane magic. I hope the answer is not "they learned it from other races". The only thing is that there is a loa called Zanza that apparently is the one that gives arcane powers to the trolls, but I'm not sure about this. If anyone has an official Blizzard word about this it would be great. Thanks for your time, see you!

They actually learned it from the mogu back when their two empires became allies, in exchange for the trolls sharing their knowledge of the world beyond the borders of the mogu empire.

Ethenil 09-10-2018 10:40 PM

Perhaps Zanza was one of these original trolls who learned magic from the mogu?

Nacho 09-11-2018 02:38 PM

Thank you for your answer ARM3481, see you guys!

Nazja 09-13-2018 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacho (Post 1621654)
Thank you for your answer ARM3481, see you guys!

You probably already know this, but another interesting piece of lore is that many of the enchantments used by blood/high/void elves are based on troll magic.

Royalpimp 09-14-2018 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nazja (Post 1621682)
You probably already know this, but another interesting piece of lore is that many of the enchantments used by blood/high/void elves are based on troll magic.

Eh, where is that stated? Don't remember anything of the sort.

Nazja 09-14-2018 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royalpimp (Post 1621695)
Eh, where is that stated? Don't remember anything of the sort.

Stranglethorn questing, talking to Zanza and troll archaeology.

"Many thousands of years ago, while the indigenous trolls of Zul'Aman were battling the invading high elf heathens, great magic was stolen from Zanza. The magic was used to enchant their weapons and armor to assist in conquering the trolls of the region."

ARM3481 09-14-2018 11:18 AM

It arguably makes sense, too. When it comes down to it, the mogu and trolls would have already been using arcane magic without access to the Well of Eternity, meaning that when Dath'remar's Highborne were still "relearning" magic in the post-Sundering world, the trolls' mogu-taught arcane methods and techniques would have already been formulated to work at full potency without needing the Well.

Ethenil 09-16-2018 10:02 PM

Yes, I like the headcanon that Zanza was one of the original students.

Menel'dirion 09-17-2018 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ethenil (Post 1621755)
Yes, I like the headcanon that Zanza was one of the original students.

The plot thickens: Shadra didn’t just dislike the change in Magic’s used. Zanza actually poached some of her followers when he ascended to the role of Loa.