Scrolls of Lore Forums

Scrolls of Lore Forums (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/index.php)
-   World of WarCraft Discussion (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Pet Battle System (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/showthread.php?t=31132)

Bolvar 09-26-2012 10:43 AM

Pet Battle System

So, Bolvar is leveling a Panda with Mrs. Bolvar.

We complete the starting area. Reach level 20. Decide to meander over to the lake in Stormwind to buy our turtle mounts (which are, to be honest, a tad underwhelming).

"Look, honey, a quest!" I declare. It's a new quest from a new NPC. City quests are usually interesting and/or fun and/or quick and easy XP, so we pick it up.

It's the pet battle trainer.

Suddenly, little green paw prints start showing up all over the map. Suddenly, the wait time for a dungeon queue isn't so bad. Suddenly, Mrs. Bolvar is obsessed with leveling and capturing critters all over the place.

And, Bolvar is somewhat ashamed to admit, so am I.

Damn you, Blizzard.

handclaw 09-26-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolvar (Post 563633)
Suddenly, Mrs. Bolvar is obsessed with leveling and capturing critters all over the place.

Damn you, Blizzard.

Well, seems like the Pet Battle System was super effective. :P

Can't wait to try it again. I tried it a bit on the beta, but never explored it that much so that I'm not too tired of it on live.

Let's see how well my marine and thor will fare..

Bolvar 09-26-2012 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handclaw (Post 563636)
Well, seems like the Pet Battle System was super effective. :P

Can't wait to try it again. I tried it a bit on the beta, but never explored it that much so that I'm not too tired of it on live.

Let's see how well my marine and thor will fare..

My Curious Wolvar Pup is a badass. I also like my Spirit of Competition (because he's a little rare) and my Onyxia Whelping (also slightly uncommon).

Although my Tiny Harvester, with his auto-rez, is also great fun.

Mrs. Bolvar is partial to the Vampiric Batling - another rarely seen pet these days.

Garotar 09-26-2012 04:46 PM

My wife is rather obsessed with it as well. I should cage up all my extra pets though and try selling them.

Ashendant 09-26-2012 05:58 PM

I have a day more of free time and i'm loving it, i was planning on getting to level 80 with the battle chest having the WOTLK expac but i'm going to have to content with 77 because PET BATTLES.

I have minor grievances with it(pets with no quality have grey icon borders)(pets always come in groups after specific levels which turn everything eerily predictable and kinda boring on that respect...) but nothing too serious.

I've also got the hang on how to identify if a pet is rare or not. :D

Nazja 09-27-2012 05:54 PM

I decided to turn my pandaren monk into a wandering trainer. Unfortunately, of all the pandaria themed pets I have only the Quilen is rare...
I guess I'll continue leveling my Hunter in the hope of getting quest reward pets that aren't merely uncommon.

Volkrin 09-27-2012 06:33 PM

Turns out calling the turtle pet from orphan's week "Speedy" wasn't such a misnomer. The little bastard's got twice the base speed of any other pet in my collection.

spidey1980 09-27-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolvar (Post 563633)
Suddenly, little green paw prints start showing up all over the map. Suddenly, the wait time for a dungeon queue isn't so bad. Suddenly, Mrs. Bolvar is obsessed with leveling and capturing critters all over the place.

Damn you, Blizzard.

I wanted to try out a Pet Battle. Countless random battles and one trainer battle later, I realized how addictive this is. Chilled to the bone, I immediately stopped and resumed leveling my main.

It's remarkable how well Blizzard replicated what makes Pokemon so successful to this day.

Omacron 09-27-2012 07:29 PM

Is it worth trying to match my battle pets to an RP theme or should I just min-max?

Fojar 09-27-2012 07:38 PM

I really wanted to use Lost of Lordaeron in my main team but he unfortunately sucks. So I just use Mojo-the-Team-Breaker now.

Nazja 09-27-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omacron (Post 564126)
Is it worth trying to match my battle pets to an RP theme or should I just min-max?

Unless your RP theme is something along the lines of "I'm the critter master", I don't see why not.

Bryn 09-27-2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fojar (Post 564129)
I really wanted to use Lost of Lordaeron in my main team but he unfortunately sucks. So I just use Mojo-the-Team-Breaker now.

Maybe it's just as well you're not enslaving the spirits of Lordaeron's dead to fight for you. ;)

Ku'ja 09-27-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fojar (Post 564129)

Get a Rare one and they are almost impossible to kill with there constant healing.

Mshadowz 09-27-2012 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omacron (Post 564126)

Can there really be a good RP theme to what amounts to cartoonish dog/cock fight rings? You know, torturing animals by forcing them to fight to the death? Because that's pretty much what we are doing.

Fojar 09-27-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryn (Post 564140)
Maybe it's just as well you're not enslaving the spirits of Lordaeron's dead to fight for you. ;)

NAH MAN IT'S TOTALLY FREE WILLED, DIDN'T YOU SEE THE STARTING AREA

But seriously the tool tip says that it hates the Forsaken so I took him away.

It was a poor quality one though, so I let him go in Westfall where he can be with his living bretheren.

Tilgath 09-27-2012 10:19 PM

I should've listened to this thread. I started out with the goal of winning a single battle. Next thing I know, an hour has passed and I'm leveling up my main team. Between that and what I've done of Jade Forest, I'm already loving MoP much more than I did Cata.

Bolvar 09-28-2012 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tilgath (Post 564195)
I should've listened to this thread. I started out with the goal of winning a single battle. Next thing I know, an hour has passed and I'm leveling up my main team. Between that and what I've done of Jade Forest, I'm already loving MoP much more than I did Cata.

Yep. This is exactly how I feel.

HalfElfDragon 09-28-2012 01:42 AM

This is genius.

Omacron 09-28-2012 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mshadowz (Post 564158)
Can there really be a good RP theme to what amounts to cartoonish dog/cock fight rings? You know, torturing animals by forcing them to fight to the death? Because that's pretty much what we are doing.

My RP character's a pretty terrible person and a compulsive gambler. Cockfighting is well within his IC personality.

Schro 09-28-2012 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omacron (Post 564242)
My RP character's a pretty terrible person and a compulsive gambler. Cockfighting is well within his IC personality.

http://excruciatingminutiae.files.wo...p_fighting.jpg

Nazja 09-28-2012 05:49 AM

If you want to know the rarity of a pet before catching it, without using a macro, get this addon.

Odok 09-28-2012 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nazja (Post 564261)
If you want to know the rarity of a pet before catching it, without using a macro, get this addon.

I fucking love you.

Quaero 09-28-2012 08:16 AM

This is just what WoW needed.

Something that made it even MORE addictive than it already was.

Bryn 09-28-2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fojar (Post 564168)
But seriously the tool tip says that it hates the Forsaken so I took him away.

It was a poor quality one though, so I let him go in Westfall where he can be with his living bretheren.

That's kind of sweet, actually...

If I ever get around to trying this, I want to have at least one cat. But I wonder if any of them are any good.

Ashendant 09-28-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nazja (Post 564261)

Like it isn't obvious already :)