Scrolls of Lore Forums

Scrolls of Lore Forums (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/index.php)
-   Halls of Lordaeron (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Yakisoba Hungering - The International Games Thread (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/showthread.php?t=30985)

Ashendant 10-14-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dithon1 (Post 570876)
How do you give an organization with no specific leaders the Noble Peace Prize?

It has two that can the president of the EU council and the EU commission

Lon-ami 10-14-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef (Post 569923)
In the video you can hear people saying "puta" which (for those of you who somehow don't know what it means) means "bitch".

These are the REAL MINORITIES who suffer. Catalans can play the victim card saying that the evil Spanish are oppressing them, but in reality, there are also a considerable amount of Catalans who don't want independence, but are shunned by the majority who do.

The worse is no one does anything about it.

Catalonia is going the nazi route a bit more each day.

Yaskaleh 10-14-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashendant (Post 570870)
What does everybody think of the EU receiving the Nobel Peace Prize?

Probably the greatest joke since Obama got the price.

Ashendant 10-14-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yaskaleh (Post 570897)
Probably the greatest joke since Obama got the price.

Why do you think so?

Millenia 10-14-2012 01:56 PM

From this comment (scroll down under the story):

Quote:

Helmut Kohl said, "We never want to wage war again against each other. We want to honour the dead and tend to the graves but we never again want to have soldiers' tombs in Europe. That is the most important reason for a united Europe."

From the very beginning, that's what the EU has been about. The economic interdependence, the free movement across borders, all of it has been to make this principle stick. And it WORKED. Fuck yes they deserve it.
And from this comment:

Quote:

Europe, for most of it's history, had been perhaps the most violent corner of the world and was eventually almost destroyed by the two most violent conflicts the world has ever witnessed. In the aftermath, a group of idealists sat down and drew out a solution based on co-operation and trade; within twenty years a war between these incredibly embittered enemies was almost unimaginable.
While the foundations of the EU are being battered by the worst economic crisis of a generation and it's legitimacy is being called into question, I think this prize serves as an excellent reminder of what the EU has achieved and why we should all care so much about it's survival.

Yaskaleh 10-14-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashendant (Post 570898)
Why do you think so?

Why do I think it is a joke?
Listen to Nigel Farage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfvK2...layer_embedded

Why do I think Obama got the peace price was a sad joke?
He had done 0 for peace as president as he had been president for just a few days.

Ashendant 10-14-2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yaskaleh (Post 570925)
Why do I think it is a joke?
Listen to Nigel Farage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfvK2...layer_embedded

Why do I think Obama got the peace price was a sad joke?
He had done 0 for peace as president as he had been president for just a few days.

Nigel Farage? you listen to that shallow douchebag?

Obama didn't managed to do what he promised, but that's US politics.

HalfElfDragon 10-15-2012 12:20 PM

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/10/...reek-fascists/

Shaman 10-15-2012 12:34 PM

Pretty sad seeing the land that conceived democracy fall victim to mob violence and anarchists.

Millenia 10-16-2012 12:18 AM

Yay! Benchmark Ruling Calls For Women In Botswana To Be Awarded Equal Property Rights

Kir the Wizard 10-29-2012 06:10 AM

A panda votes in Ukrainian parliamentary elections

SomeRandomEvilGuy 10-29-2012 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashendant (Post 570898)
Why do you think so?

Considering what its member states have been getting up to, it's a joke. Besides the fact, member states not going to war with each other is not no reason to award it the Nobel Peace Prize. Might as well award it to the United States for the same thing.
Quote:

Nigel Farage? you listen to that shallow douchebag?
He can still make good point. Simply ignoring everything someone says because of the speaker is a very bad idea.
Quote:

Obama didn't managed to do what he promised, but that's US politics.
That's irrelevant. He was awarded it before he did anything of note. It was completely and utterly politics that got him awarded it, and the entire world knows that it wasn't remotely earned.

RobLore 10-29-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SomeRandomEvilGuy (Post 578012)
Besides the fact, member states not going to war with each other is not no reason to award it the Nobel Peace Prize. Might as well award it to the United States for the same thing.

The United States weren't in the middle of two consecutive world wars.

Lord Eliphas 10-29-2012 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarahmoo (Post 571353)
Pretty sad seeing the land that conceived democracy fall victim to mob violence and anarchists.

Oh sure if you wanna forget about the US-imposed Monarchy, the military dictatorship that followed after and the current regime that prefers austerity to dignity, I guess it's pretty sad.

Also Obama getting the noble peace prize is comparable to Reagan being called a peaceful president.

In that both of them side with very dangerous, massacre-loving, dictatorship frenzied allies that eventually betray them in the end for a variety of reasons.

Ain't it just liek Nicaragua?

Millenia 11-01-2012 07:05 AM

Greek editor stands trial over tax evader list

Have India's poor become guinea pigs?

BaronGrackle 11-01-2012 08:57 AM

The Nobel Peace Prize is so frequently a joke, even early on. Teddy Roosevelt (hero of the Spanish-American War and Mr. Big Stick Policy) won it for helping negotiate an end to the Russo-Japanese War, which probably was on its way toward ending anyway. :rolleyes:

Peace is like the Liberal Arts category. So often it feels like they want to just give somebody a Nobel Prize, but that person didn't really do anything important, so they say it's for "peace". That's my theory for why Al Gore's environmental schtick got him a peace prize, instead of something having to do with actual science.

Other times, maybe they just need something to fill up the peace prize slot. European Union? Sure! Next year, let's give it to the United Nations.

EDIT: Whoops, it looks like they already did that in 1965. And a few other times. :embarrassed:

You know what? Good news is good. Good for you, Botswana.

C9H20 11-01-2012 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaronGrackle (Post 579481)
The Nobel Peace Prize is so frequently a joke, even early on. Teddy Roosevelt (hero of the Spanish-American War and Mr. Big Stick Policy) won it for helping negotiate an end to the Russo-Japanese War, which probably was on its way toward ending anyway. :rolleyes:

Peace is like the Liberal Arts category. So often it feels like they want to just give somebody a Nobel Prize, but that person didn't really do anything important, so they say it's for "peace". That's my theory for why Al Gore's environmental schtick got him a peace prize, instead of something having to do with actual science.

Other times, maybe they just need something to fill up the peace prize slot. European Union? Sure! Next year, let's give it to the United Nations.

EDIT: Whoops, it looks like they already did that in 1965. And a few other times. :embarrassed:

Agreed, I would abolish the nobel peace prize, because there is hardly a scientific way to quantify peace, and sadly at certain points in time it is a sad fact that nothing noteworthy was done to propagate peace.

Obama's nobel prize still stands as the pinnacle of absurdity in this regard.

Arbourean 11-01-2012 12:48 PM

No, that would be Arafat's.

C9H20 11-01-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arbourean (Post 579538)
No, that would be Arafat's.

Look, at least he did something. Him and other like him can at least say they brought peace, even if they brought war in the first place.

Obama on the other hand didn't do anything by the time he got his Nobel prize, I would go as far as to say that considering the terrible moral fiber of 99,9% of all politicians that I, a regular well intention slob who does the best he can, or most of us on this forum are worthier recipients to this prize then Obama ever was.

BaronGrackle 11-01-2012 01:17 PM

Nah, I think the biggest absurdity was Al Gore's Peace Prize, which he won for his "efforts to build up and disseminate greater knowledge about man-made climate change, and to lay the foundations for the measures that are needed to counteract such change".

Because otherwise, there probably would've been a huge war or something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rize_laureates

Tilgath 11-01-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C9H20 (Post 579540)
Obama on the other hand didn't do anything by the time he got his Nobel prize, I would go as far as to say that considering the terrible moral fiber of 99,9% of all politicians that I, a regular well intention slob who does the best he can, or most of us on this forum are worthier recipients to this prize then Obama ever was.

Would your Peace Prize acceptance speech include your ideas on how to eliminate the disease of homosexuality?

Leviathon 11-01-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tilgath (Post 579554)
Would your Peace Prize acceptance speech include your ideas on how to eliminate the disease of homosexuality?

https://static.prtst.net/asset-proxy...480-112215.jpg

C9H20 11-01-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tilgath (Post 579554)

Nope, there are far greater, and more pressing, problems plaguing humanity.

Any real treatment is decades in the future anyway, another great thing about that distant future is that you will be dead and the earth won't have to bear your assholery anymore.

Tilgath 11-01-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C9H20 (Post 579586)
Nope, there are far greater, and more pressing, problems plaguing humanity.

Any real treatment is decades in the future anyway, another great thing about that distant future is that you will be dead and the earth won't have to bear your assholery anymore.

You're the one who called an entire subsection of people a "disease", not me.

If I were to say, for example, that I think all serbs are backwards troglodytes who are a blemish on the human gene pool and we should "cure" the world of them, then I'd be an asshole.

Fojar 11-01-2012 03:48 PM

Wait, homosexuality is a "problem" now?