View Single Post
Old 02-20-2017, 09:58 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Except that it wasn't just "maybe we shouldn't unleash a horde of ravenous aliens on a civillian population and/or soldiers doing their jobs." It was "maybe we shouldn't unleash a horde of ravenous aliens on a civilian population and/or soldiers doing their jobs" EVEN WHEN THEY WERE FROM THE SAME ORGANIZATION THAT HAD MADE HER LIFE A LIVING NIGHTMARE FROM THE AGES OF 8 TO 18. Many people in her situation would have been gleefully on board with a plan to hurt them back regardless of whether they were civilians or not. Kerrigan didn't, and THAT speaks well of her (the fact that she was opposed using it EVEN on the people who tormented her.) Her line about "Arcturus will come around. I know he will." and "The Protoss are coming to destroy the entire planet, not just the Zerg" also provide another explanation. She thought Arcturus would evacuate the people of Korhal once the Zerg took out the Confederacy, or felt that there was some chance of survival from the Zerg.
She knows they're all going to die and that bit about the Protoss is a blatant lie. She doesn't even pretend that it isn't.

I'm not sure why you're typing in all caps. She in fact has no issue wiping out the people who were ultimately responsible for what happened to her. (She goes down to Tarsonis to ensure the deaths of the confederate leadership, she killed Rumm.) She's not above or beyond vengeance at all. I'd think she was pretty vicious (rather than actively apathetic and a big enabler) if she wanted to kill a bunch of civilians and soldiers for the sake of revenge.

Being a moralistic little girl is a bit different from being a heroic character. She's not a villain and I think Rebel Yell presents her as being very sympathetic, but she's definitely not especially moral.

Quote:
You try to, but there have been cases when someone has made a point and you've just asserted your opinion regardless of the points actually made.
Okay, apparently I need to be a little more firm about this.

I don't know why you think it's okay to make these reaching personal assertions about me over an internet debate about a video game. Stop it.

Quote:
There's a reason I accuse you of rose colored glasses. You're unwilling to turn the lens on Brood War and have gotten rather aggressive when people disagree with you about it. You rather scornfully refuse to address Genya too.
I have nothing to say to Genya. Their argument is basically 'Blizzard obviously agrees with us' as if that refutes my perspective. What the hell do I respond to that with? I disagree.

I'm tired of talking about the stupid 'everyone's an idiot!' aspect of Brood War. I don't agree with it, I've explained why about a THOUSAND times. It's a very tired conversation.

I also think it's incredibly rich that you're accusing me of being aggressive while you are CONSTANTLY confront me over this shit and bring up conversations I had YEARS ago when I had the AUDACITY to not agree with what what's-his-face on SCLegacy was saying and you think that means I was being disingenuous or something.

Quote:
Except that's not wholly true. It didn't say "She's evil because she's lonely." It was "she feels revenge is all she has left so she's going to do whatever it takes regardless of the cost. The "need a man" doesn't really hold up to inspection either. Kerrigan only went apeshit on Rumm after he murdered Somo Hung (who she cared for). And the fact she violently killed him could be seen as her getting revenge on him alone. Also, it's entirely probable that had Raynor been a woman she'd have had similar reactions; In Uprising she's drawn to Hung because he's a genuinely good person who cares for her. Raynor, like Hung, genuinely cared for her and wanted to help her. As such Kerrigan would have felt a connection. THAT'S why Raynor's memory worked to calm her; because he was one of the few people who was nice to her she couldn't just brush him off, meaning that his words had weight when they called her out. You're basically manufacturing reasons to not like her.
It's still mostly a story about a girl who's looking for someone to rescue her, and then who flips out when there isn't someone there ("let me hear your voice" is so cringe). That doesn't make it bad necessarily, but it is pretty sexist. And it's exacerbated by all the retconning in Wings of Liberty and Heart of the Swarm. She's much more independent in the original game, even in Rebel Yell.

Like, I don't even dislike the idea of what happens in Heart between her and Jim if it wasn't such a preoccupation of the story, but it really isn't earned at all as far as being a follow up to Brood War. (And if you're okay with that then... more power to you I guess?)

As for manufacturing reasons: not to like who? Heart of the Swarm Kerrigan? I mean. Not liking something is a subjective thing (as opposed to thinking something's bad). But no, I don't like Heart of the Swarm Kerrigan.

If you'd like to know why:

Heart of the Swarm Kerrigan, beyond everything else I could say about the quality of the writing and the inconsistencies with Brood War Kerrigan and being a retreat of that story is that she's... boring. I don't find Heart Kerrigan emotionally engaging, she's cathartic and she flips out at the slightest thing. She spends most of the game being moon-eyed for Jim Raynor and I find it incredibly annoying. Nothing she says is particularly funny or insightful or cool. It's a lot of her being outrageously self-righteous, pedantic and didactic.

She's really over the top I guess. But while the original game was kind of campy and fun, Heart of the Swarm is so emotionally constrained and suffocating. It's over the top in a way that I find embarrassing instead of entertaining.

She's also just way too omnipresent. She's playable in every mission, she's constantly talking in every cutscene. Everything she does is some absurd moral dilemma. It's just too much. Like people complain she's a Mary Sue in Brood War but at least Brood War takes a break from her once in a while. Even if she's a looming presence through out the story.

Nothing was better for me in Legacy of the Void than when Artanis disappeared on Ulnar and we got to follow Vorazun and Alarak for like 5 minutes. (Incidentally in hindsight I probably do hate Legacy Artanis more than I hate Heart Kerrigan, though that's not saying very much.)

Then there's the whole messianic aspect. Which Legacy of the Void (mainly the epilogue) made even worse. It's lathered on so damn thick.

And just to continue my endless rant: the supporting cast is bad too. For all the foibles of how Fenix and Raynor, Zeratul and Mengsk are written in Brood War (and I think particularly Zeratul has a pretty severe personality switch from Vanilla to Brood War which gets even worse in SC2), they're at least interesting characters unlike Iszha, Zagara, Stukov and Dehaka. Who all have a single gimmick and man, do they ever stick to that gimmick through out the story. (Did you know Dehaka likes essence?)

DuGalle makes for a capable and engaging antagonist without even having to actually show up until the very end. Because hey, we spent a previous story getting to know him, we got different perspectives on what was happening which keeps things fresh. The relationship between Zeratul and Kerrigan is explored in Brood War -- even if you hate it and think it's bad and doesn't make sense hell, even if it IS bad. Heart of the Swarm instead just uses him to unload exposition and introduce a new location and move the plot along. And then he disappears into the shadows as if he was never there at all.

Overall it's just so plot heavy. And it's a really straight-forward plot at that.

Last edited by Aldrius; 02-20-2017 at 10:51 PM..