View Single Post
Old 09-07-2017, 12:37 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
Are you sure you are not speaking of a closed economy and not autarky there? Autarky is simply when the state can exist without external help or international trade if needed be, but that does not mean it can't be present. For example, the United States were autarkic during the 19th century, yet they still engaged in international trade.
Ah, I think you are correct. My bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
I think you're missing a vital point in there, though I'm not sure how to word it. Personal positions in those regimes traditionally regarded as fascist are often dependent on demonstrated strength and/or cunning, i.e. the result of internal struggles within an organization. Intra-personal conflict is fomented rather than discouraged.
Is that really a defining characteristic of fascism, however? Granted, fascist ideologues do emphasize strength and ambition, which I suppose would lend itself to a lot of internal struggles (since everyone wants to be strong). A lot of dictators (fascist and otherwise) enjoy pitting underlings against each other.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"