View Single Post
Old 09-07-2017, 12:41 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post

Yup. I remember going over this in my MA program. This also explains why most of the attempts at democracy during the Arab Spring failed; the states weren't developed enough to really attain a stable version of it. Maybe Tunisia will succeed, though I'm not that optimistic.

Middle Eastern states tend to be pretty weak, because of geography and history. It's difficult to project power over the rugged terrain, which is why so many people there depend on tribe and religion rather than the state. It's difficult to do democracy in tribal societies (though it can be done—Ghana is an example) since every political struggle becomes a zero-sum game in which your tribe (which includes your family) is in the crosshairs.

I'm not sure how the Middle East can change that, or if it even can be changed.
A large part of that has to do with the partitioning of the Middle East with Sykes Pico (?) I feel. They aren't in an organic form of a common culture with a common nation-state. They are patched together so you get a whole host of Kurds who are in countries which are not Kurdistan and so there's usually conflict between them and between Shi'ites and Sunnis. Iraq is hard to govern when most of the country is Shi'ite but a portion is Sunni and that Sunni portion ended up sympathizing with ISIS.

You would have to somehow figure out a way to get certain countries to live and let live. Add onto that there's the need for further economic development and the proxy war between Iran and the Saudis and it's a difficult issue to manoeuvre.