View Single Post
Old 08-01-2018, 03:17 AM

Elune

About terran psychics, they were technically incorporated into the zerg swarm. The queen (the original and SC2 new breed) species was made with terran psychic potential... but admittedly that unit is rather underwhelming and doesn't show it much. I agree it should have been a much bigger and move obvious deal. Additionally terran psychic potential helped swarm in other smaller roles, potentially.

And honestly not much to say, I largely agree with your vision. I was always one who valued scale, that is what pisses me a lot about WoW, how those societies face apocalyptic damage year after year in canon yet are not only no worse for wear but flourishing. So I definitely like those aspects, the protoss empire being an Empire and the zerg needing to invest a massive long term effort to reach Auir and break the protoss.

That said I do not agree that a reboot would be best, SC is not yet that broken imo (though Warcraft is, bring on the reboot there any day). There are indications that Blizzard wants to do a big time skip for SC. The plot is pretty much resolved as you yourself say. Kerrigan fulfilled her destiny and is now having cosmic sex with Raynor, those two never to be seen again or at best to show up as supporting "big good" characters in the future that help or empower the protagonists. Vallerian is sorting out humanity in league with Raynor's old crew represented by Matt. The protoss are united, rebuilding and poised to have a new renaissance. The zerg in the latest book are moving more towards sustainable living and spreading life to worlds in emulation of Kerrigan. I can see a more botanical zerg in the future, also more mellow and individualistic. A radical departure I know but it could be good if done well and you can always have old guard reactionaries (indeed that is what happens in the book).
So then you do a time skip and let new tension develop. Maybe terran population skyrockets in this time of peace and prosperity and starts to infringe on zerg wildlife worlds and protoss colonies. So the zerg lash out ecoterrorist style and the protoss now recovered revert to their older, zealous modes of thinking and decide they know best how to rule and guild the lesser races.

Anyhow you see the general idea. Time skip leaves the bad stuff but it also leaves the good stuff around and admittedly a reboot is a dirty concept, taking player experiences and expectations and ripping them apart, raping the continuity. A weapon of last resort. With a time skip you can pick and choose which events leave ripples that shape the modern time. Maybe Amon and his hybrids are totally ignored apart from the changes their existence left in protoss society. So let the good things leave a bigger mark on the future (the new present) than the bad things. In some ways it is like a reboot without tearing up the continuity that some people may actually like, and again I think reboots and retcons are just awful, awful tools. I would not even call them writing tools. Imagine if Dostoyevski or someone after him retconned Crime and Punishment? It is just horrid and inconceivable, and it is no better in game writing either, it should just not be done.

Now as I said there are indications of a time skip with Kerrigan and Raynor fucking off and all races healing and changing... but on the other hand Blizzard is notoriously reticent to give up on characters and ideas. Just letting a hundred years pass and have most or all human characters dead is such a big no no for blizz that they are quite liable to reverse course in which case they will likely just hammer the lore until SC3 makes a degree of sense. A reboot is unlikely too since Blizz also hates to discard old stories (and hence invalidate merch like games and books).

We may well be fucked either way friend