View Single Post
Old 04-08-2018, 02:17 PM

Demon Hunter

No doubt I'll earn 76 iterations of Krainz's coffee-swilling computer guy meme for posting this... but I had this discussion in a discord... and this is kind of a free range for my cringy opinions in the first place. So, let's talk about Warcraft, Judas Priest, and Night Elves.

I've been a fan of the Warcraft Franchise since Warcraft 3, and that fandom has changed me in a lot of ways, and forms a great part of the person I am today. One example: I freaking love Judas Priest, which Warcraft introduced me to, and which my experience with Warcraft added meaning to.

Posting on the story forums introduced me to Judas Priest. A long time ago, I was trying to "diagnose" the Horde player (bad, I know), and I used Judas Priest's "Breaking the Law" as a metaphor for my point. This introduced me to the British Steel album, which I hastily downloaded and put on repeat. I listen to music at work after all (one of the neat advantages of working in an office with a door), so I get a lot of time to silently digest it.

I listened to it, I enjoyed it. I classified them as rock/punk. YouTube suggested "You've Got Another Thing Coming" from the Screaming for Vengeance album. This in turn introduced me to "Electric Eye", from the same album, and this is where the magic started to begin, especially given how I could connect with the song. I tied my Warden character, Kyalin's, engineering profession into her character. That character very much promoted the idea of technological advancement, and made small devices that would be of help in performing her duties. (Example: She frequently pulled the cop tactic of shining a bright flashlight into people's eyes). She also focused on more domestic issues and was very spy-happy. If you had documents in the bank? She found a way to get copies. "I'm made of metal, my circuits gleam. I am perpetual, I keep the country clean." Not a perfect fit, but I loved it. It became her "theme" for all of those "what's your character's theme song!?" discussions. (I think the album cover is my lost account's profile picture, actually. I love the techno-fighter jet eagle. It fit in a way with my PVP style)

Then YouTube suggested "The Sentinel". (Defenders of the Faith)

"Sworn to avenge. Condemn to hell! Tempt not the blade, all fear the Seeeeeentinel!" I almost wanted to start a campaign to try and convince Blizzard to turn around the Night Elves with Rob Halford headlining it. But instead the "Screaming for Vengeance" and "Defenders of the Faith" albums became the soundtracks for my PVP escapades. Very fitting, and if I had appreciated the Painkiller album more back then, it would have fit in too.

Yesterday I finally got around to listening to the new Firepower album. It's not their best work, but it is good. It's quintessential Priest and it makes up for some of their dodgier recent outings. I was mildly enjoying it, going through tax returns at the office yesterday when this song, which is below, came on.

Suffice to say... I listened to it over and over again. I am probably rating it much more beautifully than I would if not for the general headspace I'm in with this franchise. Granted, this reaches back to whether the Night Elves are booted from Kalimdor. If they're not, then I think there's hope left. If they are, then yes, the race is dead, and they're dead because of a stupid parity move and a desire to homogenize the factions because that's easier for the writers to do, completing the mistake of having them join the Alliance, or at least the mistake of how they were portrayed once they were in it. That makes this a very painful, but weirdly cathartic song for me. "Never the heroes. We were made to fight. Never the Heroes. We were just sacrificed" indeed.

(The next song on the track, funnily enough, was "Necromancer".)

So, if my time here ends with the confirmation that yes, my time here was my process of a long, painful goodbye (Yes it is painful. I don't see the point in pretending that this doesn't hurt just to fit in with the "internet tough guy" community. This does affect me on an emotional level. I am okay with being up front about that.) to a franchise that meant a lot to me, then it will probably end with me getting the exact ingredients for a Death and Co. Margarita, (2 oz. Siembra Azul Blanco Tequila, 3/4 oz. Cointreau, 1 oz. lime juice - yes from a lime, not concentrate, 1/4 oz. agave nectar with a lime wedge garnish - you're welcome), making said margarita, burning my long-defunct physical copies of the original World of Warcraft as I sip it (cause, you know, got to have something symbolic to burn), and blasting this song as I work out how to finally move on.

I will be seeing Judas Priest live after tax season though. So I can look forward to that, and admit that if not for this franchise, I probably wouldn't have grown to appreciate the Metal Gods.

Last edited by Kyalin V. Raintree; 04-08-2018 at 02:29 PM..