View Single Post
Old 11-21-2020, 08:54 AM

Problemsolver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
1. So you don't think these are jokes and believe that Madeleine Roux dearly and sincerely hates white people? If that's true Aneurysm then I don't know what to tell you.
No, I don't think those are jokes. I think they are racist and sexist comments and the product of an increasingly divisive social atmosphere in which it has become perfectly acceptable to shit on white people.

Do I think Roux hate all white people? No, she probably doesn't. But that doesn't mean she can't make distasteful comments on the matter. And apparently she understands how tactless they were, trying to sweep it under the rug by claiming the tweets were photoshopped.

Quote:
2. Do you think those comments would be the same if they were said by a black or arab person? Context matters.
Yes, I believe comments such as those would be just as racist, no matter who posted them, and no matter the target. Because...

Quote:
3. There's a palpable difference between making offhand twitter comments about ones own race over the course of years and -actually being racist-.
... it doesn't matter what skin colour or ethnicity you have. Racism isn't about punching up, down, or sideways. Racism is about punching, period.

Let me ask you this, Sarm; would it be okay to shit on Muslims today for colonizing and "fucking up the Middle East and Iberia" back during the expansion of Islam? Would it be okay to shit on Scandinavians today for colonizing and "fucking up Britain" during the Viking age? Would it be okay to shit on Han Chinese today for colonizing and "fucking up East Asia" during their expansion? Would it be okay to shit on Turks today for colonizing and "fucking up the Mediterranean and Arabian peninsula" during Ottoman times? Would it be okay to shit on Mongols today for colonizing and "fucking up much of the known world" during their expansion?

Is it okay to shit on entire demographics of people for things their ancestors did?

No, it isn't. We all have awful ancestors who fucked their neighbours over at some point, no matter where you're from. And we don't move past it by continuing to shit on people, that only makes the pendulum swing harder.

But by all means keep on rationalizing racism and sexism the way you are, and be part of the problem you claim to stand against all you want.