View Single Post
Old 11-14-2018, 09:57 AM

Druid of the Claw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
Warcraft II also mentions ancient shamanistic principles and rituals that predate the rise of the warlocks. So, even if the shaman and the warlocks overlapped, then in some sense were not indentical, probably philosophically.

Which, when you think about it, is not that different from Warcraft I.

In Warcraft I,the orcs had two caster categories which both drew their power from the same source, only one category was a secretive scholar (the warlock), and the other was a religious disciple (the necrolyte).

In Warcraft II, the orcs had once again two interconnected categories, one potrayed as secretive scrolars and manipulators (once again the warlocks), the other one as following ancient principles and rituals, making them feel once again like religious disciples (the shaman). And when you couple it with the fact that Warcraft II still potrayed these shamanistic magiks as necromantic (in the sense we understand it, communing with the dead and the spirits of the underworld, not in the sense of raising undead), you will realize that Warcraft II just simply switched the shaman for the necrolytes, but retained the whole dynamic between secretive, manipulative scholars vs. religious, ritualistic disciples of the dead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
And I do think that we saw more of that close connection in Warlords of Draenor as well between the Shamans and Proto-Necrolyte (priests) of the Shadowmoon clan. And indeed, even as far back as Burning Crusade, we learned that orcish shamanism was closely connected with light/void magic, particularly at Oshu'gun.
Yep. Warcraft Adventures depicted Thrall having to learn some necromancy (speaking with the dead) in order to become a shaman.

Even so, the statements in WC1/2 in which their magic sickened the land (and is what prompted the elves to join the Alliance) suggests that perhaps something was amiss. They did consort with demons, after all, and those were established as being destructive and evil beings from Hell.