View Single Post
Old 03-28-2019, 03:55 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
It's not worth condemning feminism over by any stretch, it's not feminism at all. It was a top of the head example I came up with to point out that it is strategically unwise to make people feel unwelcome if you might otherwise bring them to your side through camaraderie.

Some people won't be brought over by any means. Others might be open to your ideals if you approach them correctly, but will, flawed and mortal as they are, reject those ideals if they are presented as accusatory or antagonistic. I don't care how superior your morals are to the enemy's - presenting those benefited by the status quo as absurd and distasteful will not endear you to those benefited by the status quo.

I mean, I'm just saying that I'd rather see a broader range of people learn to accept positive ideals than use positive ideals to damn even those worthy of damnation.
If that's your entire point, then point well taken. But it seems obvious to me, you attract more bees with honey, etc. Using that example in particular just seemed a bit... loaded.

Certain views and actions should be unwelcome. If these views and actions are inseparable from the person, well then... You must see the conundrum. Do we tolerate intolerance?

The people who benefit most from the status quo are outnumbered by those who are most exploited by it. This is inherent in the hierarchical structures of such systems: the Few, above the Many. We don't need people like them on our side. We need to motivate and show solidarity with those on ours, because I believe that's where the groundswell of true change for the better will come from. Appeasing shittiness won't actually change their minds or bring them to your side. All it does is alienate your side and legitimize theirs.
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.

Last edited by Saranus; 03-28-2019 at 04:03 PM..