View Single Post
Old 12-01-2019, 07:16 AM

Faerie Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldrius View Post
They're pulpy, action games. If they have a modicum of coherent character development, the dialogue is funny at times and connect that to what's happening in the gameplay then they've done their jobs. I think the "Scourge of Lordaeron" is effective. I think the Grom arc from the "Invasion of Kalimdor" works really well too.

And even when the story's not working as well as it could be -- I think a lot of the characters and concepts do. Archimonde is an awesome antagonist. He's intelligent, intimidating, effective. Kel'thuzad too, is just a great memorable character to my mind. Sophisticated and sensible, despite being a mad necromancer. (Until WoW ruined him)

When they try to be more sophisticated and try to present more complex storytelling is when they fail hard I think because it messes up the pacing. These games should be entertaining first.

As to retcons, the products still exist. WarCraft 3 hasn't ceased to exist because Blizzard chose to retcon aspects of it later. So I think the stories can be judged and read into on their own merits. Even if they're not consistent with one another.

Mists of Pandaria isn't really coherent with WC3, but up until a certain point I really enjoy that storyline.
I suppose you are right.

I have more interest in Starcraft myself but I’m constantly frustrated by fanboys who refuse to acknowledge that SC1 isn’t really that good of a story. The psi-emitter is an extremely lazy plot device to let Mengsk win regardless of other factors like logistics (e.g. the zerg magically steamroll all opposition, which opens a plot hole since they waited for over a decade in Koprulu before doing this) or the perspectives of the other factions (e.g. the Confederacy, protoss and zerg are reduced to plot devices to advance Mengsk’s plot). Mengsk didn’t need the psi-emitter to be his I-Win button. He could have taken advantage of existing battles to perform surgical strikes against various government institutions to seize power for the SoK. I don’t find it believable that the SoK would be happy to ignore his rather public betrayal of all their men on Tarsonis. Multiple political factions within the SoK working at cross purposes would be far more believable. Rather than a personal vendetta against Kerry that comes out of nowhere with no justification other than “the story needs a hero and a villain”, it’s one of several carefully calculated ploys to assassinate members of the inconvenient non-fascist factions within SoK. Similar to the real internal conflicts that afflicted revolutions in Earth’s history.

At least in the Warcraft fandom I see more people being open to criticizing every aspect of the story including the WC3 campaigns. After watching let’s plays of Warcraft mods for Crusader Kings II, I developed a much greater appreciation for the world outside of the characters. If a strategy game makes the war feel like a bureaucratic nightmare, then I cannot imagine what it would be like as a general.